andytrains

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a link to a picture of D2773 at Yoker. To the left of the loco is the end of the coaling stage embankment with the buffer stop in what looks like poor condition. Also showing the amount of foliage on the embankment.

The shed front would be to the right of D2773 out of shot.

Interesting view of one of the yard lamps above the coach.

The coach behind looks interesting and I would like more detail to include it in a PW or Breakdown train.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44544845@N08/8675487977/

Edited by andytrains

• 6 months later...

The shed is coming along, but I have been a bit stuck with the trackwork.

I think now I have got it sorted.

My latest acquisition is an ex-GSWR 0-6-2T.  (MTD/Mercian Kit). I bought this off the members sales stand at Expo EM North couple of weeks ago. I decided to do it in early BR livery, so I have removed the LMS transfers.

None of this version lasted into BR days although one of the Whitelegg later versions did. The last of this type was withdrawn in November 1947, so it is not out of the realm of possibility  that one of this type did.

DSCF0300.JPG.e48f1a62ea883440576309788233ad30.JPG

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 6

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just stumbled on this thread and your Yoker project..quite fascinating.

Its an unusual subject being a small and not too glamorous shed so well done for bringing it to the fore and elevating it to the status of what looks like a very fine model.

I am often down that way and know the area.. the redundant earthworks and retaining walls which abound in the area are testimony to the once busy L&D network.

A good friend of mine still lives in what was the stationmasters house in Hawick St..his dad was stationmaster at Yoker until he retired.

I haven't been in touch with him for a bit but I know he would be interested in your project so will pass on the link to your site.

He may even have photographs or whatever that might be of assistance but regardless he will be very interested.

Hes not a modeller but is an enthusiast..he was raised at Riccarton Jct where his dad was stationmaster before moving to Glasgow so the railway is in his blood..he is also a registered steam driver on a preservation line.

I was sorry to hear it has been dismantled as the images would suggest it was destined for greater things..Expo EM?..hope its temporary and we see it up and running again soon.

I think we have spoken before in relation to the Alloa layout..another industrial central Scottish subject..so as said hope too see more updates on Yoker soon.

Dave. 

• Like 1

Just stumbled on this thread and your Yoker project..quite fascinating.

Its an unusual subject being a small and not too glamorous shed so well done for bringing it to the fore and elevating it to the status of what looks like a very fine model.

I am often down that way and know the area.. the redundant earthworks and retaining walls which abound in the area are testimony to the once busy L&D network.

A good friend of mine still lives in what was the stationmasters house in Hawick St..his dad was stationmaster at Yoker until he retired.

I haven't been in touch with him for a bit but I know he would be interested in your project so will pass on the link to your site.

He may even have photographs or whatever that might be of assistance but regardless he will be very interested.

Hes not a modeller but is an enthusiast..he was raised at Riccarton Jct where his dad was stationmaster before moving to Glasgow so the railway is in his blood..he is also a registered steam driver on a preservation line.

I was sorry to hear it has been dismantled as the images would suggest it was destined for greater things..Expo EM?..hope its temporary and we see it up and running again soon.

I think we have spoken before in relation to the Alloa layout..another industrial central Scottish subject..so as said hope too see more updates on Yoker soon.

Dave. 

Dave.

The layout will be back up as soon as possible after the move, (if it ever happens, things are dragging on).

I would be very interested in any info' regarding the shed as it is rather thin on the ground.

I have a friend who was in the Royal Navy in the 1950's and he used to go 'spotting' whenever he got the chance.

He went to Yoker and as he approached, presumably over the bridge in Dyke Road, saw lots of smoke coming from the vicinity of the shed. He thought great there are locos on shed. Not to be just a pile of old wood being burnt behind the shed and not a single loco on shed. (He said it was a weekday).

Funny you should mention Alloa, as I was looking at some photos of the model and the real station earlier today and was thinking that the end of the station with the bays would make a good Minories type of layout.

Andy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy

I found this photo last night not sure if you have seen it. It's from an unknown book and is in the notice case at the current yoker depot hence the reflection on the glass.

Hope it's of use

post-5114-0-67812200-1445361728_thumb.jpg

Edited by darrel
  • Like 1

Darrel.

Thanks for the above.

I have seen this photo before but I cannot remember which book it is in.

If there is any other info lying about at the new depot about the old one I would be grateful to see it.

The layout is currently in store as I am between house moves, as are all my books.

I cannot see it being up before next year as it will be housed in a garage that needs work doing to it.

Andy.

• Like 1

Hi Andy that's all there is I'm guessing someone found it in a book and put it up in the notice board most photos normally have a locomotive in them blocking the view of the building, so I knew it would be of interest if you hadn't already seen it.

If I see anything elsewhere I will post it on here.

Good luck with the house move.

Darrel

Hi Andy

I found this photo last night not sure if you have seen it. It's from an unknown book and is in the notice case at the current yoker depot hence the reflection on the glass.

Hope it's of use

The good thing about this photo is the clarity of the it which shows the brick to such good detail, so I will be able to work out its dimensions and draw up a plan. I have not been able to find a plan/drawing of it to date.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

We eventually moved house, and to cut a long story short, I have demolished a rotten lean-to building made of wood on the back of the garage and want to have built a new railway room there.

Yoker is still in store, in the garage, (Not Ideal).

I am in negotiation with builders/UPVC building manufacturers to construct the new railway room.

I would do it myself, but the builder option seems most reasonable for the time/price point of view. 

Watch this space.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

The building for my "train set" (or my tosspot room as the other calf calls it), is nearing completion.

Using a local builder, after doing research, as to what you want, and agreeing a price, and on recommendation, has worked out better for me. Getting on board with a builder is good as most are flexible with requirements as the job progresses.

Of course it would have been cheaper to do the work myself, but in the long run it has been quicker tio get this started rather than waiting for all the other jobs to be done before this one was started. 

However work on the garden seems to be the main priority for the next few months.

The room, naming of which, is being contemplated, needs lining, final electrical fix, decorating, (my me, white emulsion).

Then a floor covering is to be decided on. The floor is concrete and has got some insulation, but due to the existing floor it is only in about two thirds of it.

I am considering a rubber flooring interlocking tile system, unless anybody can suggest a better flooring type, mainly for better underfoot feel and insulation.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 3

• 8 months later...

Andy I have not been in touch with my friend whos dad was stationmaster at yoker.

He has had a few health problems but I believe is on the mend now and I received a xmas card so I will drop him a mail and ask regards any info he might have.

Keep us all posted.

Dave.

Thanks for your comments.

Yoker is now up in the new room.

It has suffered a little bit of warping, from being stored in what was a damp garage.

The garage has been sorted out by putting in a drain all around the edge just below ground level and new doors.

The trackbed on the boards still seem level.

I have had to remove the pointwork at the throat to the yard and will build new ones. 

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Yoker is presently up but under the baseboards of the 'upper' layout in the railway room.

I might incorporate it into the new layout.

One of the problems being is the quality and depth of the new baseboards compared with the new.

The old ones are fine. Built from top quality 6mm ply. Double section and built on the T or L system, which is very stable.

I had the new ones built for me, they are 9mm ply of unknown origin and they have warped slightly. So I will have to consider a rebuild of the new boards.

It seems at the moment:- One step forward and two steps back!

Some pictures:-

DSCF4046_(1).JPG

DSCF4048_(1).JPG

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Another latecomer to your thread Andy, but very interesting. My project is one based around the shed at 64C, Edinburgh Dalry Road. I say around, as I am trying to decide whether to model part of the shed itself, or a nearby rail-connected milk bottling factory. Motive power will be ex-LMS (Crab, Black 5's) and ex-Caley (class 439 tank, 'Jumbo' and a Rails of Sheffield/Bachmann class 812 - when it arrives from China!).  Shame about your commissioned baseboards. I nearly went that route when I started on my layout project, but decided I would have a go at building my own. Go some really nice birch ply from a local timber merchant (not cheap!), luckily a friend's hobby is wood-working, and he cut the board pieces for me. I did the framework and assembly in the garage. That was c.4 years ago (progress has been quite slow due to other commitments), and I am pleased to say I have had no warping of the boards at all. I really like your ex-Highland 'Clan'. Since I saw one on Ben Alder's thread, I have tried to get a kit, but they are extremely hard to find now, as it seems Falcon Brass have ceased to operate. Oh, well. Onwards and upwards - we hope. 

• 1 month later...

Not sure when you might get round to reading this, but was just wondering where you are located. Your strapline statement re the quality of the black pudding caught my eye a while ago, and I wondered if you were anywhere near Bury, Lancs? They do really good stuff at the market there. 

I'm living in Essex, but a Brummie, so second best Black Pudd.

Connection with Glasgow is my Dad and Summer holidays spent visiting my grandparents.

Glasgow is definitely not Blackpool or Torquay!

Went to Bury in late 1960's early 70's, but only trainspotting. (Had a Midland railcard for a week).

Edited by andytrains