Slaters GWR 4 Wheel Coach Kits

hartleymartin

I'm thinking of building a couple of the GWR 4-wheel coaches for a light railway type layout. Anyone else built one before? Any tips/hints?

I've got a couple that I intend to build for use as a miners' Paddy train on my Cwm Bach layout. The instructions look straightforward.

I'm thinking of building a couple of the GWR 4-wheel coaches for a light railway type layout. Anyone else built one before? Any tips/hints?

I built a rake a couple of years ago and, as far as I can remember, they were no real problem at all. I had a bit of a game with blending the guards ducket into the side, but otherwise they are about as good as it gets.

post-18627-0-22991500-1404586210_thumb.jpg

Excuse the unflattering close up of the ducket junction I struggled to get a decent finish on, it looks better from a couple of feet away.

post-18627-0-68900800-1404586221_thumb.jpg

There are a couple of things that I would suggest as aids to finishing them, I used a fine tipped black felt marker pen to line the sides, it showed a bit purplish at first but once the sides were varnished it came back to black, it's a very quick way of getting results with a shaky hand!

post-18627-0-53684100-1404586207_thumb.jpg

Secondly I felt that the main thing that you see on a coach is the roof, so spent quite a lot of time lifting the gas pipework off the roof, on small Plastikard plinths, to give a degree of relief, the piping was carried out with brass wire, bent to shape following the various routes of the gas pipes.

post-18627-0-36779100-1404586212_thumb.jpgpost-18627-0-49754000-1404586219_thumb.jpgpost-18627-0-27619900-1404586214_thumb.jpgpost-18627-0-89290700-1404586216_thumb.jpg

Although I didn't do it, it's also worth considering painting the underframe and sides prior to assembly, as the ends can be painted once the coach is assembled. Dealing with a whole coach, when lining, can be a bit of a pain, and you don't have to wait for one side to dry before dealing with the other.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

The GWR brake 3rd is the one I'll go for first. It's a pretty close match for the coach used in the later years of the Easingwold Railway. It'll go nicely with my Hudswell Clarke.

This ensemble ran very well on Coney Hill, the coach could be given the brake end windows the Easingwold one still has at Cannock Chase

Dava

Guest Isambarduk

"it's also worth considering painting the underframe and sides prior to assembly,"

It's very easy to arrange for the frames to be screwed to the body after painting - makes building and painting so much easier.   David

• RMweb Gold

This topic has made my mind up and as I have reached a milestone with the layout, I'm taking a break to get the all 3rd coach built to go with the brake third.

I've spent an hour tonight getting the basic underframe together - updates will be in my modelling blog. Let's see how fast I can get it done.....

EDIT: blog entry started :) http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/236/entry-14356-slaters-7c04-gwr-s9-4-wheel-all-third-coach/

Edited by RedgateModels

• 6 years later...

Hi, 

This might be a little late, however I am told that these Slaters coach kits are a good enough base to replace with other body sides? I am looking to do GER 4 or 6 Wheelers and I'm wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction? 

Thank you

• Like 1