Printing Domes and Chimney for L& Y Rail Motor

Just a quick update on the paining of the Railmotor I have done all the lining on the locomotive using Fox Transfers and am now awaiting a Number plate from Guilplates and then the loco body will be ready for the final coat of Satin Varnish. Also I am now making progress on the coach painting and lining.

post-16182-0-11382100-1409152592_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

At last I have finished the Railmotor and I have been able to get it to run around Hornby Radius 3 curves even though this has to be on the last hole on the draw bar so as to eliminate any locking. For the purposes of the photos I have the coach on the 2nd hole which looks better but is no good for tight radius curves. Anyway thank you to all the people who gave me encouragement and advice when designing the required boiler fittings.

post-16182-0-95567200-1411745146_thumb.jpg

post-16182-0-69041000-1411745190_thumb.jpg

post-16182-0-24625600-1411745238_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Can I ask for some help here? I've been playing around - not that seriously at the moment - with Sketchup and using the curviloft and roundcorner add-ons, and I can't for the life of me see how to get the nice fillet between the two cylinders representing the boiler and the dome or chimney as has been done with the railmotor.

I can position the two cylinders nicely above each other in the correct alignment, but from then on I'm completely at sea. Detailed advice about what next to do would be much appreciated!

TIA!

Can I ask for some help here? I've been playing around - not that seriously at the moment - with Sketchup and using the curviloft and roundcorner add-ons, and I can't for the life of me see how to get the nice fillet between the two cylinders representing the boiler and the dome or chimney as has been done with the railmotor.

I can position the two cylinders nicely above each other in the correct alignment, but from then on I'm completely at sea. Detailed advice about what next to do would be much appreciated!

TIA!

Easy! 

(When you know how!)

Easy! 

(When you know how!)

Thanks a million - I'd managed to work most of it out, but some of the wrinkles had escaped me, and I was spending far too much time messing about with it and not nearly enough time on either my real work or my modelling.

Another lengthy practice session beckons!

No problem, it's a very useful plugin!

Going through your video again last night I realised that I'd actually stumbled (and stumbled's the word, I promise you!) on a completely different way of doing this; however, your way - henceforward to be known as The Right Way - is simpler and probably more accurate.

Thanks again!

There is no right way I'm sure, but there are indeed loads of different ways to approach the same problem. I wish I could find a way of selecting all the edges that make up the bottom of the flange in one go as I use 100 sided circles for production items, selecting a continuous line of 25 separate segments making sure not to miss any teeny tiny ones is pretty tedious. 

That said before I found curviloft (thanks Alan Buttler!) I was drawing an arc not just at the 4 cardinal points, but between each endpoint of each curve segment, then adding in faces between then curves to eventually create a filleted base, like this:

post-21854-0-79885100-1479557033_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-98963900-1479557029_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-28940500-1479557032_thumb.jpg

This is something I had not bothered with , as I had not found it that noticable. I thought I would have a look in my software  and it can been done very easily with a sweep, following the curved line of base of item

Curved-fillet-drawing.jpg

just one of the advantages of buying a decent software package.

Should have played with this before, but not sure if it was in the original software. It was something that had put me off doing domes and fittings separately, but just 5min work has given me a lot more confidence.

Gone back to some coach roof designs, and this sweep tool helps there as well. This means I can start to look at some more coaches/railcars

Archived