Bachmann OO Announcements July 2014

Andy Y

Bachmann have done something very clever this year IMO

With all the models they already have announced, but not on the shelves, we've all still got something to look forward to (E4 in my case)! This year, they've satisfied the A/C enthusiast, while not adding too much pressure on themselves to produce an ever-growing list of models. Less models to work on, the quicker they'll all arrive! (That's the theory, anyway)

Class 90 electric?

first up to those that said that Bachmann would need a business case for a model that already exists albeit dated but must still sell-insert "gameshow buzzer sound"....really? you sure bout that ? :)

some even said theyd spoken to management at Bachmann who apparently expressed disappointment at sales of the class 85-im trying to equate that with todays announcement of another new AC loco and it doesnt.

class 85s in the bargain bins-so what? that has not had one iota of an effect on bachmanns decision here to launch the 90.

electrics dont sell is what some were constantly spouting. i'm sorry but see above.

electrics will not take off until we have more rtp catenary some were saying.....pfffft. yeah ok (cue my gameshow wrong buzzer again).

i could rumble on picking quotes up from all over rmweb from those who just would not have it over ac locos but it would take up too much time and energy-i think we can let Bachmann do the talking really and im pretty sure we can now safely ignore future comments about electrics not being popular or being poor sellers etc.

you never know.....Bachmann will be making the chassis. they could go the whole hog and chuck on a class 87 body with some minor tweaks......and 87001 is residing at the NRM.

michanlgais said"bring on the electric revolution". indeed.

clasd 90 from Bachmann-its going to be a lovely model and may scope out opportunities for folk to build a modern class 86/1 using the Heljan body or maybe run a modern class 87 using a lima or limby body on the new Bachmann chassis.....

the first release just isnt my era (80s BR) but i will pre order one to support the model and hope for an original inter-city version later on......

• RMweb Gold

Usually most people have already gone home by then.

I don't blame Bachmann taking a year off to play catch up, indeed I think many if us would be happy to see announcements closer to actual release, but if that's the plan, why not just say it ?

I could have cut the grass this morning and been more excited, if I order a Chinese tonight and find a Q6 announced in the fortune cookie I'll be pleasantly surprised but a bit confused as the marketing said the announcements were coming at the July party...not a Tuesday night fry up.

But then they miss the encore.

Even in N gauge 2mm. Drax cooling towers are 374 feet high. that's still  a 748mm high model. :O. and Drax has 12 of them  :O.

Yup they are that big but I'm not going to make the whole of Drax site with all 12 cooling towers also the Bachmann ones are low relief so may be tall but not a scale diameter of a cooling tower of which St. Paul's could fit inside one

HSTFAN13

Lee

oops....forgot to add.

Hornby kept on churning out their 90 year on year. yes it might sell but really this now must go into their RailRoad bin.

i just hope they dont panic and rush out a poor class 87 rehash - i want my new 87 to be from Bachmann ideally (and i havent even seen their 90 yet!)

• RMweb Gold

if I order a Chinese tonight and find a Q6 announced in the fortune cookie I'll be pleasantly surprised but a bit confused as the marketing said the announcements were coming at the July party...not a random Tuesday night fry up.

ISTR a recent Bachmann press conference, well-documented on here, where the Q6 was specifically denied?

Bachmann have done something very clever this year IMOWith all the models they already have announced, but not on the shelves, we've all still got something to look forward to (E4 in my case)! This year, they've satisfied the A/C enthusiast, while not adding too much pressure on themselves to produce an ever-growing list of models. Less models to work on, the quicker they'll all arrive! (That's the theory, anyway)

I make it 29 locos waiting to hit the shops in N, OO and OO9, plus the Rails 10000/1, which also raises issues concering cashflow, both between Bachmann Europe and Kader, and retailers with Bachmann Europe if all were to be released virtually en mass. Suspect the 2015 announcements will be equally muted as its probably going to be 2016/17 before all appear based on previous release quantities. As for "Top Secret" surely the announcement of a brand new range alone qualifies.

I think it's good that they concentrate on what has been previously announced. Interesting to see that some things promised several years ago are still at drawing office stage. Could it be though that they have something up their sleeves? Think of the S&DJR 7F that appeared in the shops within weeks of it being announced.

Usually most people have already gone home by then.

I don't blame Bachmann taking a year off to play catch up, indeed I think many if us would be happy to see announcements closer to actual release, but if that's the plan, why not just say it ?

I could have cut the grass this morning and been more excited, if I order a Chinese tonight and find a Q6 announced in the fortune cookie I'll be pleasantly surprised but a bit confused as the marketing said the announcements were coming at the July party...not a random Tuesday night fry up.

So  there  is little  point   in  buying  the  new  catalogue Then is  there ?  I will  put the  cash  towards   a  Chinese !! ..........Now  off  to  mow  the  lawn!

• RMweb Premium

We have some folk disappointed, some folk saying that a consolidation year isn't a bad thing and some folk saying that some interesting stuff is still to come.

My reading is that there are people posting on here who are clearly either "in the know" or winding us up about what hasn't been said yet.

I do wonder if Bachmann had some items that they were hoping to announce today and for some reason have had to delay doing so.

Anyway, if the "have patience" messages are to be believed, then perhaps we shouldn't be too quick to pass judgement.

I previously praised Bachmann for the way they made their announcement about price rises but this time, having built up some high expectations, they haven't impressed me yet.

looking at the website it shows not one but 3 versions of the Class 90:-

32-610 90 023 inter-city

32-611 90 037 Railfreight

32-612 90 042 Powerhaul

Glad Bachmann have included the intercity version. will be placing an order asap

post-13731-0-17026600-1405853305_thumb.png

• RMweb Gold

Have to say, it's interesting to observe how Bachmann have handled this years announcement today (with an exciting expansion into 009 narrow gauge) and peoples dissapointed reactions, compared to the excitment surrounding Rapidos announcement a few weeks ago of a single model which will be of little use to most modellers?

I suspect there is a little more (not much) to come, they promised three new things in each scale, I think 'three' Birdcage coaches in N is pushing it and where is the 40 which is a gaping hole in their staple n gauge range at the moment with no models listed. There are other gaps but I'm not going into speculation mode.

oops....forgot to add.

Hornby kept on churning out their 90 year on year. yes it might sell but really this now must go into their RailRoad bin.

i just hope they dont panic and rush out a poor class 87 rehash - i want my new 87 to be from Bachmann ideally (and i havent even seen their 90 yet!)

Totally agree. In fact all of the Hornby electrics should have gone RailRoad a long time ago...

There must be some confidence in a market for AC electrics - over the years we've seen the 85, 86, 87, 90, 91, two 92s... pretty much all re-liveried on numerous occasions. Someone must be buying them.

With 1-to-1 electrification projects moving forwards, there's surely going to be an increase in demand for not-yet-designed/built units and, perhaps, the odd new-design electric loco. Bachmann may be doing a little forward thinking (am I nodding off into dreamland here :), filling in the gaps with the older locos before newer electrics begin to take on a larger role.

Whatever the case, I'm glad they chose the 90. They'll be around for a while and, modelwise, were harder to bring up to standard than a Hornby/Lima-based 86 or 87.

My big concern is how Bachmann will handle the pantograph but I'll not lose sleep just yet!

Michael

• RMweb Gold

As Andy implied (back down to earth with a) bump.

The OO9 looks interesting but, where narrow gauge is concerned, the little dabbling I do is in 7mm.  

Seeing the list of items and the stages they are at led me to do a quick, guesstimate of how long it will be before we see ALL of the stuff announced last year. 

Realistically, given how much is ahead of them in the queue, I don't think many of the the all-new models listed as "in development" will see the light of day before 2016.

The rechassised 2-6-2 Tanks should arrive rather sooner as there's no bodywork to worry about. I'm very surprised the Ivatt is taking so long, with nearly all the required tooling having been created for the corresponding 2-6-0.

I reckon the releases I want should be spread fairly evenly, so any wallet stress is likely to come from other directions for a while. :jester:

John

• RMweb Gold

We have some folk disappointed, some folk saying that a consolidation year isn't a bad thing and some folk saying that some interesting stuff is still to come.

My reading is that there are people posting on here who are clearly either "in the know" or winding us up about what hasn't been said yet.

I do wonder if Bachmann had some items that they were hoping to announce today and for some reason have had to delay doing so.

Anyway, if the "have patience" messages are to be believed, then perhaps we shouldn't be too quick to pass judgement.

I previously praised Bachmann for the way they made their announcement about price rises but this time, having built up some high expectations, they haven't impressed me yet.

Read the thread, from the beginning.  Rumourtrol, various, said 3 new mouldings in 00 - that would appear to be correct if you read the thread as there could be a potential third one yet to be revealed.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not going to get warm under the collar one way or another, it's too hot for that, but there is one thing I don't understand. What's this 6 month announcement business all about? I know there's only 6 months to the next one but it has been 18 since the last. I thought they would have had a little more to say. But 'hey ho' not my problem, I'm not a share holder.

Now great news about the 90 can see a EWS beastie stickered one being Bodged together by myself. I have also noticed a rerun of the class 170/171 turbostars but by the looks of it not dcc ready still

edited to clear any confusion

The rechassised 2-6-2 Tanks should arrive rather sooner as there's no bodywork to worry about. I'm very surprised the Ivatt is taking so long, with nearly all the required tooling having been created for the corresponding 2-6-0.

I would be very surprised if the tired old body was re-used in its entirety, as it will look dumpy and very dated against the revamped Ivatt 2-6-0 by Bachmann, which has far more accurate boiler mountings etc.

Given the huge amount of new announcements last year I am not surprised things are more restrained. A good selection of new liveries and new scenecraft items. Class 90 is tempting, but useless for me... we'll see.

I note that the Post Office Stowage vans are not listed on the update of previous items in progress... presumably they are at the bottom of the pile, or have they been dropped?

Archived