Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

36 minutes ago, greg81 said:

This looks fantastic. Been top of the wish list for many years. Intercity and RF will be purchased.

I assume that they are very close. Hopefully a container will be unloaded very soon?

Did I see somewhere that the Freightliner version could be about a month behind the others?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Br60066 said:

Did I see somewhere that the Freightliner version could be about a month behind the others?

Yes, according to Bachmann. Of course, things can change – a container can be missed or an earlier one just caught. It would help no end if they came a month apart. :)

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Anyone got an eta on these apart from April/ may- we were told they were on the dockside / at sea around the 5th march not that I am impatient  of course- no actually I am really impatient been waiting for years for these the anticipation is killing me!

2 hours ago, vanbasher said:

It's strange Mark, if you do a google search for Bachmann Class 90 the Freightliner Powerhaul 90042 comes up as In Stock on the Bachmann website. I haven't heard from any other UK model shop reference the locos arriving so who knows.

I just searched and it's showing as ETA May 2019, website updated 15th April.

1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

pity they wont make the York show then by the sounds of things......

Not for retail, but the factory painted example or examples may well put in an appearance, I'm sure!  

After asking the guys at the Bachmann stand at York today about how many functions are required on a 21 pin decoder to operate all of the lights and the Pantograph I was told that Bachmann are to release a new decoder specifically for the Class 90 as apparently if you use an off the shelf 21 pin decoder it would damage (exact words "burn out") the servo mechanism for the Pantograph.

So as the Class 90 come's fitted with a speaker, with the above issue in mind I asked what if you wanted to fit a sound decoder and they were unable to give an answer.

This situation dose not sound good and appears to be a bit of a shot in the foot for Bachmann.

With regards to fitting sound I was chatting with Ian (Legoman) about this issue (he is aware of it) and say's as soon as he get's his hands on one he will be looking in to how exactly the servo is operated and then hopefully re-configure the Locsound decoder accordingly.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks so when will the Bachmann decoder be available? Or can I use a normal 21 pin decoder and just not use the pantograph until the Bachmann one is available? Or can I not use the model until the decoder is available.

3 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Thanks so when will the Bachmann decoder be available? Or can I use a normal 21 pin decoder and just not use the pantograph until the Bachmann one is available? Or can I not use the model until the decoder is available.

As far as I understand, the decoder designed and configured specifically for use in the Class 90 will be released to retailers at the same time as the locomotives.  The Class 90 decoder will have its own unique catalogue number and be clearly identified as to its intended purpose.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Markwj said:

I'm thinking it would be best just to buy the new decoder with the Loco so not to run the risk of causing any damage. 

This is a bit of an annoying situation as once the sound decoders are sorted for Class 90 I will be going this route with the two Loco's I have on order and the Bachmann decoders then become surplus.  I may be able to sell them on.

Seems to my point of view, the decoder business for the class 90 is just the latest effort of the DCC Purchaser having little choice when buying a Bachmann product, same as any sound locomotive Bachmann bring out. I personally would prefer to choose my own decoders to fit to my locos.

• RMweb Gold

Somehow I get the feeling this "special" decoder is going to be a standard 21pin Zimo or ESU with the correct function output preconfigured for the servo. Theres an entire section in the Zimo manual for the CV's to modify servo behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

It's worth bearing in mind that several contributors to this topic are experts in the decoder field.  However, the majority of potential Class 90 buyers are probably not reading this forum, and most of them will presumably not want to risk blowing up a brand new model loco because they simply aren't confident with decoders or with DCC at all.  By offering a decoder precisely designed to work with the loco, the risk of damage, disappointment and returned models is reduced.  There's nothing stopping decoder practitioners from tweaking proprietary products, or even making their own if that's part of the hobby they enjoy.

Edited by 'CHARD
clunky mother tongue
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

It's worth bearing in mind that several contributors to this topic are experts in the decoder field.  However, the majority of potential Class 90 buyers are probably not reading this forum, and most of them will presumably not want to risk blowing up a brand new model loco because they simply aren't confident with decoders or with DCC at all.  By offering a decoder precisely designed to work with the loco, the risk of damage, disappointment and returned models is reduced.  There's nothing stopping decoder practitioners from tweaking proprietary products, or even making their own if that's part of the hobby they enjoy.

Definitely agree and would like to add another point. Not all users will have controllers that can modify cv values.  This decoder would be the only option for these users so probably a very shrewd move from Bachmann to deliver a decoder that offers plug and play usage for every DCC user regardless of ability or hardware. As long as the decoder is priced competitively that is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roy h said:

looking at my preorder i can not see a special decoder i can add to it. so are retailers aware of this or will they find out when the boxes arrive. 

Retailer advice expected to go out in the next few days.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

As I want sound more than a self raising pantograph I'll wait for Legoman to come up with the goods.  I think the 90s make a great sound, a sort of whispering roarer.

oooh….. but nothing like the air-raid siren wail of a Class 87 on full acceleration eh Mark?

• Like 2

Had Carl BR above not engaged with the Bachmann rep on this decoder issue when would we/retailers have found out?   Its never been mentioned before and is potentially a little disappointing especially if the new decoder carries a premium over the regular 21 pinnners.

As its now been revealed as a bespoke decoder just for 90 I wonder what the cost will be - hopefully to operate the servo pantograph this decoder will work with other pantograph/servo fitted models that Bachmann might release (or in the case of the Class 85 - retro fit with servo pantopragh under the guise of a very mild retool, essentially just that and better control of the various light functions)……...

It would have been nice to see a demo video of the 90 just as they did for the new DCC on Board Mk2f coaches/DBSO...…...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1