Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Much like me who definitely can’t fit ohle in on a 10ft country branch but really fancies a 90, and that’s based on the photos of the model! If I pass one at a show I suspect gravitational pull will take over ;) 

That's how I started a small American distraction about 20 years ago, too many AC Electrics and no prototype that's fit a small shelf layout, Highbury & Islington or Camden Road were considered but would have still ended up as a large roundy roundy and shuffling locos around in a small depot interior layout didn't really appeal.

Of course since then the exhibition circuit and expectations have radically changed, and for this prototype there's always a RfD 90/1 with a couple of TEA tanks on the Ipswich fuel run or one of the many open day locations visited by one such as Exeter, Hereford or Rickmansworth.

6 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing all those layouts where the OLE exhibits the same standard of detail as the "obsolete" Class 90. Judging by some of the responses here, there must be quite a lot... :wink_mini:

I didn't realise the Worshipful Company of Master Burnt Fingertips had so many recent inductees (all hail Eileen's Emporium for their drawn Nickel Silver wire).

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing all those layouts where the OLE exhibits the same standard of detail as the "obsolete" Class 90. Judging by some of the responses here, there must be quite a lot... :wink_mini:

You’ll have to wait a bit longer, I haven’t finished it yet. 

Andi

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 08/05/2019 at 21:31, adb968008 said:

I thought i’d take a stab at class 90 liveries... 

feel free to fill in my gaps...

intercity

railfreight distribution

railfreight distribution (euro style)

railfreight distribution (90136/036)

RES

Mainline

TTG plain

TTG with EWS beasties

TTG Freightliner (wording)

EWS

DBS

DBS (with wording)

DRS (DB)

Freightliner

Freightliner swoosh

Malcolm

SNCF

SNCB

DB (not DBS)

Scotrail

GNER

Virgin

debranded virgin

National Express

Greater Anglia

One (Dark)

One (Light)

Abellio

so no shortages..

also 90024 First Scotrail

90024 Chelmscote

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, GordonC said:

Would intercity 90s on freight count for a 'wow' factor?

90020 Preston2

I was more interested in seeing if I was in any of the shots at Preston.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I had a lovely chat with Bachmann at the Derby exhibition this morning. They confirmed that the first releases of the Class 90 are in the country and are just waiting for the decoders to become available, expected within the next 10 days or so, not long now to wait! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

19 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Received an email from Derails today which states delivery in June. Why does it feel like we are reaching the line then it gets pushed forward again!

Could this be related to the decoders? As said previously the class 90’s themselves are already in the country. It seems strange that decoders would delay a model since DC users could be using the model right now with no issue

6 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

Could this be related to the decoders? As said previously the class 90’s themselves are already in the country. It seems strange that decoders would delay a model since DC users could be using the model right now with no issue

No matter how much a manufacturer broadcasts news, there'll still be people who will miss it. In this case it's the news about the special decoder.

Whilst DC users aren't the issue, it's those who want DCC. Many will buy a DC model and want to add their own favoured brand of decoders which in this case might not work.

7 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

No matter how much a manufacturer broadcasts news, there'll still be people who will miss it. In this case it's the news about the special decoder.

Whilst DC users aren't the issue, it's those who want DCC. Many will buy a DC model and want to add their own favoured brand of decoders which in this case might not work.

My thinking was it would make sense to get models out to DC modellers to get the model in the public eye and reviewed but I see what you mean it would be outweighed by DCC modellers accidentally putting decoders in that may cause damage.

8 hours ago, Br60066 said:

My thinking was it would make sense to get models out to DC modellers to get the model in the public eye and reviewed but I see what you mean it would be outweighed by DCC modellers accidentally putting decoders in that may cause damage.

It's going to be quite a task to make it available to only the DC modellers, you'll find that there'll be some over-enthusiastic DCC bloke who will still think it's fine to put another DCC decoder in.

You'll still have some DCC modellers who'd end up buying it and probably trying to get their preferred brand of decoders in and then probably blowing it.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Markwj said:

Received an email from Derails today which states delivery in June. Why does it feel like we are reaching the line then it gets pushed forward again!

I can understand your frustration but I’m happy – so long as it isn’t early June. There is so much juicy stuff to be bought that it’s difficult to keep up. Pre-orders? It’s getting to be more like post-orders for me.

When do the magazines tend to get their hands on samples - before they hit the shops or at the same time?   Be good to read the reviews but then I think many will want to read reviews that feature the loco with the dcc decoder fitted to pass judgment about the pantograph functionality etc rather than a test just based on a non DCC fitted model.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, ThaneofFife said:

When do the magazines tend to get their hands on samples - before they hit the shops or at the same time?   Be good to read the reviews but then I think many will want to read reviews that feature the loco with the dcc decoder fitted to pass judgment about the pantograph functionality etc rather than a test just based on a non DCC fitted model.

Normally we get a model in advance so that the review comes out about the same time as the shops receive stock but with the 90 the mags and shops will receive theirs at about the same time due to waiting for the decoders. The review samples should be DCC-fitted examples for the reasons you've stated.

We did get chance to have a chat and a play a couple of weeks ago down at Kernow's opening.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

47 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Normally we get a model in advance so that the review comes out about the same time as the shops receive stock but with the 90 the mags and shops will receive theirs at about the same time due to waiting for the decoders. The review samples should be DCC-fitted examples for the reasons you've stated.

We did get chance to have a chat and a play a couple of weeks ago down at Kernow's opening.

Mouthwatering; I’m dribbling down my shirt! Thank you, Andy, especially for asking all the questions I wanted answered. (Especially third party sound decoders and, at last, directional cab lights.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on those ... they look superb!!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

It looks really nice!!! I'll wait for something more suitable to my liking and buy one. EWS or Stobart maybe?

Overall it looks to be a really nice model. I do tend to agree with @YesTor with the points he raised earlier. There's no real "wow-factor" in the model apart from the DCC operated pantograph. A lot of the detail like the TDM cables etc. are over-sized. But it captures the look of the Class 90, I can always replace them and also remove the unrealistic second lower arm.

I also noticed in the video that the upper arm doesn't raise as much and looks a lot more horizontally placed. Normally pantographs work in such a way where the upper and lower arm raise and lower to the same degree. 

Will this stop me from getting one? NO! I will certainly buy one when it comes out in the EWS or Stobart livery.

Looking forward to it....

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

6 minutes of 2 men talking and 1 minute 11 seconds of the actual locomotive... fire the director!  You'll be showing us how to open the box next.

:)

• Funny 3

Crikey what a model. The features are really outstanding and put the similarly priced Hornby 87 in quite stark contrast in some respects, particularly the lighting functionality. 

From this batch I'm in for an IC Swallow example, but with a WCML themed layout there is scope for many of these...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1