Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

the person that hand painted that 90 has done a great job - to my eye that's factory finished.   top work.

That is most probably a factory painted example at this stage.

• Agree 1

Its probably worth mentioning also that Bachmann has just published information about the DCC chip for the 90 so they obviously know its just around the corner,

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/branchline-class-90-90042-freightliner-powerhaul-32-612/

I just wish that they had opted for one in DB/EWS colours, hopefully, such an example wont be far behind the first three - although I am probably going to get a Powerhaul one and have it repainted into DB DRS blue as 90034.

Edited by DBC90024
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, grimytimes said:

Hi Everyone, The wait is over!! we have just been invoiced for all three versions of the class 90's as well as the required DCC chips so should be on the shelves tomorrow !

Regards Steve

Good news! What do you think the odds are of walking in to a local model shop tomorrow to collect them?

Edited by Br60066

2 hours ago, Chris89 said:

Nice video posted by Bachmann on Youtube for the 90

Good video that. Well presented and loads of info delivered in a way that even the most basic of modellers will understand. Cannot wait to collect my 90 tomorrow :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The best kind of P.R.An impressive introduction to a ground breaking model.More please of the same and other manufacturers please take note.

Realtrack models did this on the Class 156 over 3 years ago, sadly Hornbys Class 87 is a DCC disaster as you cannot even fit in the recommended Hornby decoder, the speaker area is rubbish and Hornby do not do 'Cab Lights'  Oh Dear a very sad story.

Seriously:  Well done Bachmann and your design team.      Impressed. Charlie

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Just wish they hadn't left out liveries like EWS, Virgin, Freightliner Triple Grey and so on. I always felt that those would've sold better.

I doubt it. The popular liveries are the BR ones. In any case, I'm sure there are more liveries to follow.

It's good to see that these are hitting the shops. Hopefully there will be plenty available at Showcase next week!

Guy

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Just wish they hadn't left out liveries like EWS, Virgin, Freightliner Triple Grey and so on. I always felt that those would've sold better.

Bachmann are canny, they often leave popular liveries till later on - that way people by the other liveries first before plumping for their favourite when it comes along.

Happened with coaches where the most popular livery was held back to a later release and everyone bought up the blood and custard.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Bachmann hasn't left out any liveries, it simply selected the three launch liveries as a sensible cross-section to release.  

Had it chosen IC Mainline, Abellio Greater Anglia, and GNER to launch with, there would be others muttering that they wanted DB red, First ScotRail and Malcolm Logistics.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Bachmann are canny, they often leave popular liveries till later on - that way people by the other liveries first before plumping for their favourite when it comes along.

Happened with coaches where the most popular livery was held back to a later release and everyone bought up the blood and custard.

I had the same conversation with Oxford Diecast years ago when I wondered why the Dragon Rapide hadn't been released in GWR colours. Bascially, some people will buy anything just because it's new. Others will wait for a specific livery so you do the less popular ones first. 

MInd you, I can't see them missing any out eventually, and no matter what the first 3 were, there would be someone who wanted the other!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Bachmann know exactly what they’re doing, people like me will be buying the Intercity version because it’s an amazing new model even though a teensy bit too old to be typical for my say, 1999 layout, I may then buy a couple more to paint into Virgin and EWS myself in the coming couple of years and when the actual Virgin batch arrives in say, 2022, I’ll likely buy a few more! 

Exactly the same happened with the life-extended Class 47s a few years back and many more before, but it’s all good, keeps the modellers busy and the resprayers in business!!

The 90 above looks absolutely incredible and I can’t wait to get my hands on one and get it running on my layout!

Cheers,

James

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I can literally feel my credit card melting

I'd be the opposite of the above comments and wouldn't be interested in releases for liveries after mid 1990s so the Intercity and Railfreight Distribution ones will definitely have a home on my layout and I'll look forward to future years having more early period liveries.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

I had the same conversation with Oxford Diecast years ago when I wondered why the Dragon Rapide hadn't been released in GWR colours. Bascially, some people will buy anything just because it's new. Others will wait for a specific livery so you do the less popular ones first. 

MInd you, I can't see them missing any out eventually, and no matter what the first 3 were, there would be someone who wanted the other!

I wonder how well this works though - Blood and Custard Portholes were on offer for ages (cheapest I saw were £24!) and Thompsons seem to be going the same way. Surely if they'd released the popular livery (BR Maroon) first they would have flown off the shelves thereby funding a second run to which the B&C could have been added. Isnt it better to have a market hungry for more than ?

I am now at the point where there is only so much siding space left if I want to keep my trains running and loco roster rotating so I now only buy what I really want.

47 minutes ago, 66738 said:

Really nice looking model. I just wish I could justify one but a 1987 layout, miles from OHLE is really pushing the rule book. Sadly.

Tow it with a diesel - moving to a depot for some work or possibly even an open day

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

Tow it with a diesel - moving to a depot for some work or possibly even an open day

Or like 90039, leave it on the front of the Euston - Holyhead as far as Llandudno Jct....