Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

Why does every (Bachmann) thread have to end up going on about Hattons, you do know there are other retailers who sell stuff for exactly the same price as Hattons and offer the same customer service  dont you!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone. I’ve just got back home from a visit to Monk Bar Models, York. I purchased the Intercity 90, along with a DCC chip, and it is a beautiful runner, very controllable. I haven’t got the chip fitted as yet so cannot comment on the working of the pantograph. I will take a couple of photo’s after I have eaten my evening meal.

Now, availability at that shop is 5 Intercity left, 6 Freightliner, and 6 Railfreight Distribution Sector. Apparently no one knows they have them in stock! But the one problem is that Bachmann only sent three DCC chips. So since I’ve bought one that leaves two. If you want a DCC 90 from there, you’ll have to be very quick, or they will be DC only.

Best regards,

Rob.

It’s good to see the 90’s have arrived, they look great and I will shortly be getting the powerhaul model via Rainbow Railways. 

I think we will see the colourful 86/2 and 86/4’s develop from Heljan following on from the 86/0 so it’s just a case of waiting for that to happen. 

Cheers

Mark

27 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Both locos looking fabulous.

Great to see new AC electric locos at last - we've waited long enough.

86/2 and 86/4 next please!

86/0 next surely, courtesy of Heljan.

1 minute ago, royaloak said:

86/0 next surely, courtesy of Heljan.

Indeed - but I'm still hoping that someone will do more modern versions of the 86.  There was talk some couple of years back that two manufacturers were considering an 86.  So who was the other one?  Hornby sometimes suddenly pull something out the hat (eg brand new Terrier). Wishful thinking, maybe?....

I still think Hornby might just beat the Danes to an 86/2...they do seem protective of their current model range, witness the spat with Rails over some kettle named after a dog.  The old 1980 86/2 was quite good for the time and has been a hardy perennial ever since, so given the all new 87 seems to have hit the mark (DCC fitting excepted) it wouldn't surprise me if one breaks cover towards the end of the year.  There again, I've said that before, so don't trust Mystic Wombat's predictions that much.

Ordered an Intercity 90 seeing as they seem to be selling out quickly but will wait for a sound chip before I dcc it.  I'm looking to renumber and rename as many of my out of the box AC electrics with Midlands themed names, so I'll be wanting to rename it as "BBC Midlands Today", not the most imaginative of names but I did once appear on a feature on the programme.  It really does look the business.

• Like 3

Collected my Powerhaul 90042 yesterday.... WOW. 

It may have taken 5 years but what a model. I’ve installed the Bachmann servo decoder for the Panto but not had chance for the additional bufferbeam parts. Couldnt resist a hasty table shot with fellow recently arrived Powerhaul 08624.

EWS next please....

Well worth the money.

C2C2AF1F-362B-4C3D-8B7A-02907ACD3354.jpeg

2DBF47F9-5829-41A7-8EAB-BC70A02F258F.jpeg

4FC950FC-8200-46F3-8473-06B155AC3957.jpeg

7058D347-05C1-442B-B20E-82181275FAE8.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, chris37422 said:

It may have taken 5 years but what a model. I’ve installed the Bachmann servo decoder for the Panto but not had chance for the additional bufferbeam parts. Couldnt resist a hasty table shot with fellow recently arrived Powerhaul 08624.

EWS next please....

Well worth the money.

Thank you for the photos of the Freightliner 90. It looks excellent. Have to say I didn't plan on buying one but I am really tempted to now. 

• RMweb Gold

Cant wait to get my hands on this.. how long before someone does 90046 in the newer version of Freightliner livery including the G&Y branding,  on the 90's, seen this am at Euston (and 2 weeks back at KX) on the sleepers..

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, chris37422 said:

EWS next please....

Well worth the money.

Great pictures thanks.

Looks like the horn grill has had bird strike lol

My IC and RF ones are on their way.

15 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

I still think Hornby might just beat the Danes to an 86/2...they do seem protective of their current model range, witness the spat with Rails over some kettle named after a dog.  The old 1980 86/2 was quite good for the time and has been a hardy perennial ever since, so given the all new 87 seems to have hit the mark (DCC fitting excepted) it wouldn't surprise me if one breaks cover towards the end of the year.  There again, I've said that before, so don't trust Mystic Wombat's predictions that much.

Ordered an Intercity 90 seeing as they seem to be selling out quickly but will wait for a sound chip before I dcc it.  I'm looking to renumber and rename as many of my out of the box AC electrics with Midlands themed names, so I'll be wanting to rename it as "BBC Midlands Today", not the most imaginative of names but I did once appear on a feature on the programme.  It really does look the business.

Looks like Heljan will be there first on the 86.... ...... As for sound chips. I think when reconfigured the new Loksound v5 will be able to power the servo on the pan. so asking Charlie petty or Biff would answer that. My biggest question and the one I cannot get an answer to is the pan itself. How high will it go? It certainly doesn't look anything like high enough for running on wires? In reality the pan should be softly sprung and extend several millimetres beyond where the wire lies to leave pan head running on wire under light pressure? Anyone help us? Don't want the most beautiful locomotive on Wellpark to be the only one whose pan head doesn't run on the wires? 

11 minutes ago, gridwatcher said:

Looks like Heljan will be there first on the 86.... ...... As for sound chips. I think when reconfigured the new Loksound v5 will be able to power the servo on the pan. so asking Charlie petty or Biff would answer that. My biggest question and the one I cannot get an answer to is the pan itself. How high will it go? It certainly doesn't look anything like high enough for running on wires? In reality the pan should be softly sprung and extend several millimetres beyond where the wire lies to leave pan head running on wire under light pressure? Anyone help us? Don't want the most beautiful locomotive on Wellpark to be the only one whose pan head doesn't run on the wires? 

My understanding from the video posted here is that the max height of the pan can be adjusted with CVs and there is a section where Andy Y confirms it is indeed softly sprung when raised. 

41 minutes ago, philiprporter said:

My understanding from the video posted here is that the max height of the pan can be adjusted with CVs and there is a section where Andy Y confirms it is indeed softly sprung when raised. 

After fiddling with cv’s I’ve found setting cv 163 to 230  and cv 162 to 70 gets the pan much higher while still having a little slack to avoid damage. If you get the Bachmann decoder it gives a handy breakdown of what the pan specific cvs do and what they are set to from factory. 

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

After fiddling with cv’s I’ve found setting cv 163 to 230  and cv 162 to 70 gets the pan much higher while still having a little slack to avoid damage. If you get the Bachmann decoder it gives a handy breakdown of what the pan specific cvs do and what they are set to from factory. 

image.jpg

Philip

Is there 'bounce' in the pan when extended too? No point it being up and rigid? The whole thing is real contact wires go up and down and pans move to follow them. I was hard enough setting everything up to be realistic on Wellpark.......! Will be giving Ian (Biff) a ping to see where he's at on the sound decoder. 

Thanks for update

Si

25 minutes ago, gridwatcher said:

Philip

Is there 'bounce' in the pan when extended too? No point it being up and rigid? The whole thing is real contact wires go up and down and pans move to follow them. I was hard enough setting everything up to be realistic on Wellpark.......! Will be giving Ian (Biff) a ping to see where he's at on the sound decoder. 

Thanks for update

Si

Hello Si yes there is gently sprung bounce in the pan when extended although I can't comment on the extent of any bounce when the pan is raised to its absolute maximum as I've only seen one with the pan height set 'out of the box'. Hope that helps? Cheers, Phil. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, gridwatcher said:

Philip

Thanks for update

Si

Bounce remains at 230. Anything higher than that and I found it started losing the bounce. I think most people will have to do some tinkering with the maximum height as everyone’s cantinery system will be slightly different if realistic contact is required 

Edited by Br60066
Added more information
  • Thanks 1

Returning to the model in general, I note that all of the pictures so far show no depiction of windscreen wipers on the cab front windows. Is this prototypical?   Are the wipers hidden by roof cowling or someting, or are they extras to be fitted?

45 minutes ago, Johnfromoz said:

Returning to the model in general, I note that all of the pictures so far show no depiction of windscreen wipers on the cab front windows. Is this prototypical?   Are the wipers hidden by roof cowling or someting, or are they extras to be fitted?

Yeah, class 90 wipers tend to be hidden at the bottom of the windscreen behind a sort of wind deflector strip.

Can anyone who has the RFD version tell me whether the jumper cables are glued to the front on the inner ends? The RFD one depicts the older style jumper cable layout, but I'm after one with the newer positioning of the jumper cables (affixed at one end on the buffer beams, as per the IC and Powerhaul versions), and I'm wondering if it would be easy to mod an RFD one myself???

Edited by daveahudson

I think well worth the wait....even if it was a bit painful , this could finally be the year of some decent AC electrics, if the accurscale 92 is anything to go by, and Heljan take note on what can be achieved on the pantographs front.