Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

Knowing how many people IME simply do not read instructions etc, or at least properly, one thing Bachmann could have done is stick a warning label on the blanking plug re the correct decoder needed. Wonder how many will get returned as faulty simply because some muppets have ignored / not read the label on the packaging / the comments in the instructions re the correct decoder needed. Its an approach that most electronic suppliers take with an excessive amount of warning labels on items so that the message must get across no matter how few active brain cells the purchaser has.

2 hours ago, Johnfromoz said:

Returning to the model in general, I note that all of the pictures so far show no depiction of windscreen wipers on the cab front windows. Is this prototypical?   Are the wipers hidden by roof cowling or someting, or are they extras to be fitted?

On the prototype the wipers are usually only visible when in use, otherwise concealed just beneath the 'bonnet' of the loco front, similar with many car designs, hopefully as this photo shows...

It Always Rains Up North

cheers

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Bachmann should have included motorized wipers so we know they are there instead of leaving it to our imagination but I now know there aren't any wipers!!!

I mean they did a motorized panto, why not motorized wipers?...I feel cheated :angry:

Edit: Can't wait to receive my Freightliner 90 :)

Edited by classy52
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

It seems that some IC versions have the white light surrounds while others have yellow. (Mine has yellow) 

Does anyone have a photo of a 90 in IC with yellow light surrounds?

Andi

1 minute ago, russ p said:

When they were new weren't the RCH cables stowed in the recessed central section below the horns

They were, but it was found out very quickly how difficult it was to remove them when they needed to be attached to coaching stock, hence them very quickly being stowed at the edges of the cab ends.

Just another example of form over function, until the difficulty of function was discovered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YesTor said:

On the prototype the wipers are usually only visible when in use, otherwise concealed just beneath the 'bonnet' of the loco front, similar with many car designs, hopefully as this photo shows...

It Always Rains Up North

cheers

Al

That is a cracking picture and taken in my home town too.

3 hours ago, YesTor said:

Interesting that you should say that. I recall that when these and the 91s were designed, the designers studied car designs of the time and used some styling features on the locos.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Dagworth said:

It seems that some IC versions have the white light surrounds while others have yellow. (Mine has yellow) 

Does anyone have a photo of a 90 in IC with yellow light surrounds?

Andi

Any chance of a photo? From memory, I don't recall it as a difference that I modelled or even noticed...

13 hours ago, gridwatcher said:

Looks like Heljan will be there first on the 86.... ...... As for sound chips. I think when reconfigured the new Loksound v5 will be able to power the servo on the pan. so asking Charlie petty or Biff would answer that. My biggest question and the one I cannot get an answer to is the pan itself. How high will it go? It certainly doesn't look anything like high enough for running on wires? In reality the pan should be softly sprung and extend several millimetres beyond where the wire lies to leave pan head running on wire under light pressure? Anyone help us? Don't want the most beautiful locomotive on Wellpark to be the only one whose pan head doesn't run on the wires? 

The Class 90 Decoder is Ready for sale on ESU. Fully tested and works the pantograph.  

The Features 'ALL' the Bachmann Lighting features and with the Panto Up / Down noises in sinc with the panto movement.

We are working on a 'Speaker' upgrade to replace the Bachmann pre fitted  one plus other interesting features!!

Ian & Charlie (The Legomanbiffo Team)   See you at DEMU Swadlingcoats  (Near Burton on Trent)

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

The Class 90 Decoder is Ready for sale on ESU. Fully tested and works the pantograph.  

The Features 'ALL' the Bachmann Lighting features and with the Panto Up / Down noises in sinc with the panto movement.

We are working on a 'Speaker' upgrade to replace the Bachmann pre fitted  one plus other interesting features!!

Ian & Charlie (The Legomanbiffo Team)   See you at DEMU Swadlingcoats  (Near Burton on Trent)

That's great to here Charlie and well done to Ian for getting them ready for sale so quickly. 

That's very likely more money I'm going to be spending at DEMU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charliepetty said:

Fabulous news.  Just being thick for a moment is the chip plug and play given the pre-fitted speaker or do you have to do anything to connect the chip to the speaker?  I assume it's all plug and play.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Fabulous news.  Just being thick for a moment is the chip plug and play given the pre-fitted speaker or do you have to do anything to connect the chip to the speaker?  I assume it's all plug and play.

Yes, it’s plug and play for an ESU v5. You need to remove the wires for the speaker that ESU supply with the chip, take out the blanking plug from the 90 and stick the V5 in. Easy as that, job done!

Chris.

• Thanks 1

Is that the finalised Bachmann 90 sound project by Legoman?

It look's like it is with the label saying "pair" on it meaning it's ready for pairing with a sound fitted DVT. 

Edited by Carl BR

14 hours ago, Dagworth said:

61153023_458633488222132_3482860774999719936_n.jpg

Ewwww.... :angry:

TBH it's not really an as-new 90 from 1988 or so due to having the later reinforced headlight covers and roof fairings, plus relocated TDM stowage sockets. Hopefully Bachmann will be able to backdate them on later releases as the open nature of the headlight covers gives the locos a very distinctive look and replacing the light bar on Hornby models improvements considerably....

Edited by 298

As Charlie correctly states above, I have finished updating the 90 sound project to suit the Bachmann model. It's now at version 7 and available to order from DC Kits as normal. The speaker Bachmann have used sounds better than previous examples. It's ok but not outstanding. The lighting configuration is far better than previous Bachmann models and has allowed me to set the loco up for light engine and DVT / train modes, with directional cab lights, and day and night time running in any mode. The only thing I've not been able to do is parking mode with reds at both ends, due to the unusual way they've configured things.

The chips is set up to work as a matched pair with my existing DVT project by using F19 or F20 instead of F0, depending upon which end the DVT is rostered. The same DVT can be used in the same way with my 86 & 87. The loco can still be used light engine using F0 (F0, F19 & F20 configure both the sounds and lights to suit the mode of operation).

The synchronisation of the pan up and pan down sounds to the model is very good. but is spoiled by the noisy mechanical mechanism that has been used. We tried two different models and they were both noisy. I have included instructions in the ESU bulletin how to disable the pan (by changing 3 CV's). Pan height in both the raised and lowered positions can easily be adjusted by CV. The pan is fully sprung in all positions so I don't foresee any problems running it touching the catenary.

Chip fitting is very straightforward. Four screws to remove the roof panel, remove the blanking plate and replace with the sound chip. The loco is pre-fitted with a speaker so just remove the speaker supplied with the chip and away you go.

90 reblow v7a for bachmann loco-Bulletin.pdf

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, legomanbiffo said:

As Charlie correctly states above, I have finished updating the 90 sound project to suit the Bachmann model. It's now at version 7 and available to order from DC Kits as normal. The speaker Bachmann have used sounds better than previous examples. It's ok but not outstanding. The lighting configuration is far better than previous Bachmann models and has allowed me to set the loco up for light engine and DVT / train modes, with directional cab lights, and day and night time running in any mode. The only thing I've not been able to do is parking mode with reds at both ends, due to the unusual way they've configured things.

The chips is set up to work as a matched pair with my existing DVT project by using F19 or F20 instead of F0, depending upon which end the DVT is rostered. The same DVT can be used in the same way with my 86 & 87. The loco can still be used light engine using F0 (F0, F19 & F20 configure both the sounds and lights to suit the mode of operation).

The synchronisation of the pan up and pan down sounds to the model is very good. but is spoiled by the noisy mechanical mechanism that has been used. We tried two different models and they were both noisy. I have included instructions in the ESU bulletin how to disable the pan (by changing 3 CV's). Pan height in both the raised and lowered positions can easily be adjusted by CV. The pan is fully sprung in all positions so I don't foresee any problems running it touching the catenary.

Chip fitting is very straightforward. Four screws to remove the roof panel, remove the blanking plate and replace with the sound chip. The loco is pre-fitted with a speaker so just remove the speaker supplied with the chip and away you go.

90 reblow v7a for Bachmann loco-Bulletin.pdf 97.71 kB · 8 downloads

Great work Ian.

Just one thing, you may want to have another look at the CV values for the disabling / re-enabling the pantograph.

There is no difference in the CV values between the disabled and enabled mode's.

On 26/05/2019 at 15:22, Duple said:

There is a big label on the plastic sleeve that you have to remove before getting at the loco.. I think if you miss that label then one stuck on the blanking plug itself would probably be ignored also. 

The only thing with that might be if there is a time-delay between initially unwrapping the loco and attempting to fit a DCC chip ... the leaflets and collectors club stuff can end up getting wrapped together and pushed aside

the vid was sped up so didn't see how the wheels were changed to P4.

what about EM - would that require new wheels or can the stock wheels simply be adjusted out?

Bachmann have clearly put a lot of work into the pantograph servo but I wonder how much actual testing the models got under catenary?