Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

That panto servo sounds awful...cross between rifling for coins in your pocket and a bag of chains :unsure:

Still getting one but will be interested how the sound of this one will compare to the Accurascale 92 panto servo.

Edited by classy52
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Carl BR said:

Great work Ian.

Just one thing, you may want to have another look at the CV values for the disabling / re-enabling the pantograph.

There is no difference in the CV values between the disabled and enabled mode's.

Well spotted Carl, the dreaded cut and paste error. The last line in the 'enable' list should say CV363 = 27 as per the corrected bulletin below.

Regarding the noisy pan servo, someone at Railex told me that those on the Roco locos are near silent in operation.

90 reblow v7a for bachmann loco-Bulletin.pdf

• Like 1

OK, so tell me I should read the bulletin closely, but I cannot see for the life of me which Function operates the pantograph, nor which CV allows the variation of the height of the pan when raised (as in the Bachmann/Zimo decoder).

4 hours ago, classy52 said:

That panto servo sounds awful...cross between rifling for coins in your pocket and a bag of chains :unsure:

Still getting one but will be interested how the sound of this one will compare to the Accurascale 92 panto servo.

The ESU Functions on the Legomanbiffo decoder are:

Project Version 7 for Bachmann Class 90 Pantograph Enabled Model

F0 Directional Lights.

F1 Drive On/Off                                             

F2 Playable High Note Horn.

F3 Playable Low Note Horn.

F4 Buffering up (When Moving). 

F4 Uncoupling Hook Sounds (When Stationery).

F5 Playable Active Brake Application (When Moving).

F5 Brake Dump (When Stationery)

F6 Drivers door slam.  

F7 Compressor.  

F8 Not Used.  

F9 Automatic Flange/Wheel Squeal.

F10 Despatch Whistle.

F11 Guard to Driver 'Right of Way signal' Buzzer with optional reply.  

F12 Night Time Running Mode (Headlights) 

F13 Sanders.  

F14 Nuetral Section.

F15 Spirax Valves.

F16 Mk3 coach wail.

F17 Directional 'AutoFade' Cab Lights.

F18 Speed Dependant, Flash Enabled Detonators.

F19 Headlights: Train Mode, Train at No1 End.

F20 Headlights: Train Mode, Train at No2 End.

2 hours ago, charliepetty said:

The ESU Functions on the Legomanbiffo decoder are:

Project Version 7 for Bachmann Class 90 Pantograph Enabled Model

F0 Directional Lights.

F1 Drive On/Off                                             

F2 Playable High Note Horn.

F3 Playable Low Note Horn.

F4 Buffering up (When Moving). 

F4 Uncoupling Hook Sounds (When Stationery).

F5 Playable Active Brake Application (When Moving).

F5 Brake Dump (When Stationery)

F6 Drivers door slam.  

F7 Compressor.  

F8 Not Used.  

F9 Automatic Flange/Wheel Squeal.

F10 Despatch Whistle.

F11 Guard to Driver 'Right of Way signal' Buzzer with optional reply.  

F12 Night Time Running Mode (Headlights) 

F13 Sanders.  

F14 Nuetral Section.

F15 Spirax Valves.

F16 Mk3 coach wail.

F17 Directional 'AutoFade' Cab Lights.

F18 Speed Dependant, Flash Enabled Detonators.

F19 Headlights: Train Mode, Train at No1 End.

F20 Headlights: Train Mode, Train at No2 End.

Which Function Key gets rid of that awful panto servo noise? :jester:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:00, Dagworth said:

It seems that some IC versions have the white light surrounds while others have yellow. (Mine has yellow) 

Does anyone have a photo of a 90 in IC with yellow light surrounds?

Andi

Seen with a white outline like this https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevor-plackett/7269618628/ but never knowingly in yellow I have to say.

Strange as its not even the correct colour for one of the other two versions, so why were any painted yellow at all. Perhaps you have a rarety and should keep it as an investment...………..or not!

• RMweb Premium

Got mine from Rails of Sheffield today - bent buffer and one rubbing plate hanging off. 

I read Yes Tor's critique of the model earlier in the thread, and although I often find his comments spot-on, I did feel he was off the mark on this one. For me the only area of concern with the model is the bufferbeam and faring. There should be a void under both buffers (I'm no longer sure if this extends all the way across) and Bachmann have really fudged that area, with the ETS fittings being attached to apocryphal lumps where the void should be (see deliberately over-exposed photo). Not sure how to correct this, but at least it gives me some modelling to do... 

P1080039.JPG

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Got mine from Rails of Sheffield today - bent buffer and one rubbing plate hanging off. 

I read Yes Tor's critique of the model earlier in the thread, and although I often find his comments spot-on, I did feel he was off the mark on this one. For me the only area of concern with the model is the bufferbeam and faring. There should be a void under both buffers (I'm no longer sure if this extends all the way across) and Bachmann have really fudged that area, with the ETS fittings being attached to apocryphal lumps where the void should be (see deliberately over-exposed photo). Not sure how to correct this, but at least it gives me some modelling to do... 

P1080039.JPG

That ones got round buffers, never noticed one like that before.

Just bought my 90 today from Grimy Times in Warrington- lovely model, as good as Cindy Crawford! As an 86/87 loyalist; the 90, at the time beat my hero engines. But 30 years later, the intercity class 90 is so much a part of the BR rail tapestry during the 80s, as were the 86/87s.  Was so tempted to buy the 90 Freightliner- looks fantastic, but finances mean I have to wait!).

12 minutes ago, gazwire said:

Just bought my 90 today from Grimy Times in Warrington- lovely model, as good as Cindy Crawford! As an 86/87 loyalist; the 90, at the time beat my hero engines. But 30 years later, the intercity class 90 is so much a part of the BR rail tapestry during the 80s, as were the 86/87s.  Was so tempted to buy the 90 Freightliner- looks fantastic, but finances mean I have to wait!).

15590701412592054953038.jpg.28648a111731b16c699ddf551ed2da89.jpg

14 minutes ago, gazwire said:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Mine turned up today and straight in the spray bath ... slightly fiddly to take apart and gonna be a right b**gger to put back together but got there in the end.  Sadly the Bachmann glue man was as heavy handed as usual with the glue for the glazing but will get that sorted ....

Anyways - number 1 will be going into DB Schenker Livery as 90018 and the second one will be EWS as 90031 ..... I'll post pics of progress on my workbench thread - Bens Resprays ......

Ben

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Seen with a white outline like this https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevor-plackett/7269618628/ but never knowingly in yellow I have to say.

Strange as its not even the correct colour for one of the other two versions, so why were any painted yellow at all. Perhaps you have a rarety and should keep it as an investment...………..or not!

90028 in SNCB had reinforced warning yellow ones in its later guise, perhaps there is a limited edition on the way?

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Tis a lovely loco, but a shame that the motorised panto is so noisy when this was one of the 'big things' about it.  Hopefully a mod will come along for it.

How far has this hobby advanced when the worst that can be said about a model is that the working panto is too noisy? :)

• Agree 5
  • Funny 2

6 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

How far has this hobby advanced when the worst that can be said about a model is that the working panto is too noisy? :)

We'll see if it can be advanced further when Accurascale have a go.

• Agree 1

As mentioned previously on here Legomanbiffo referred to a Euro brand Roco that has a near silent panto servo for their electric loco's thus if this is the case then Bachmann should have done way better in this regard...seriously can't imagine Accurascale or DJM putting in a dreadfully noisy servo in their upcoming 92's.

• Funny 1

50 minutes ago, classy52 said:

.... can't imagine Accurascale or DJM putting in a dreadfully noisy servo in their upcoming 92's.

You are imagining a DJM 92?  

Asking for a friend.

• Funny 12

• Moderators
1 hour ago, classy52 said:

seriously can't imagine... DJM putting in a dreadfully noisy servo in their upcoming 92's.

No, neither can I. 

• Funny 16

6 hours ago, classy52 said:

As mentioned previously on here Legomanbiffo referred to a Euro brand Roco that has a near silent panto servo for their electric loco's thus if this is the case then Bachmann should have done way better in this regard...seriously can't imagine Accurascale or DJM putting in a dreadfully noisy servo in their upcoming 92's.

The fact that you are brave enough to even imagine a djm 92 is impressive in itself.  

Every time (which is infrequent i admit) that i summon up the courage to watch my djm austerity shudder, lurch, and grind its painful way around my layout i try to push the thought of that firm making anything else i might want to buy firmly out of my mind.

The loco is waiting for "old shep" nameplates, because i have this longing to take it round the back of the farm and put it out of its misery. 

Edited by The Ghost of IKB
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

The fact that you are brave enough to even imagine a djm 92 is impressive in itself.  

Every time (which is infrequent i admit) that i summon up the courage to watch my djm austerity shudder, lurch, and grind its painful way around my layout i try to push the thought of that firm making anything else i might want to buy firmly out of my mind.

The loco is waiting for "old shep" nameplates, because i have this longing to take it round the back of the farm and put it out of its misery. 

Luckily I've never owned a DJM product and most likely never will...allow me to extend my deepest sympathies :cry:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1