Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Daddyman said:

No need to defend yourself. Approximately 25 people have posted on here saying that they have bought a 90. A further 6 have bought a 90 and had bogie problems.

So, yes....a trend. 

So we have had reports from everyone who bought a 90? If Bachmann has only sold 25, there is a much bigger story we are missing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Anyway! I've made my point, sadly other people can go on and on in other threads without an issue, but if you do it to a lesser extent in a Bachmann thread it's an agenda.

You can find statements like this on every other manufacturer's thread.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I have just received the Intercity liveried Class 90 from a different vendor than my original Class 90 and alas it has the same problem - the non pantograph end bogie tower is broken.  This is what it looks like after it was first removed from the box.

E85FE1EB-F4D5-4729-97F4-D06FCCB2331A.jpeg.2505999d453382015c5c07f5480a78e9.jpeg

Alas this will have to be returned as well.

it’s a lovely model but this is looking suspiciously like a design flaw.

Darius

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The Bachmann class 90 is a excellent model. It’s up there with the class 60 and Dapol class 68. Best electric on the market. Love the pantograph as well. Makes the Hornby one look like a toy. Well done Bachmann 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

I have just received the Intercity liveried Class 90 from a different vendor than my original Class 90 and alas it has the same problem - the non pantograph end bogie tower is broken.  This is what it looks like after it was first removed from the box.

E85FE1EB-F4D5-4729-97F4-D06FCCB2331A.jpeg.2505999d453382015c5c07f5480a78e9.jpeg

Alas this will have to be returned as well.

it’s a lovely model but this is looking suspiciously like a design flaw.

Darius

this is my problem, it broke my pickup wires from the bogie to the pcb board but because it's Bachmann it's ok. If this was Hornby the forum would be in melt down.............

anyways i'm going to speak with Bachmann today and see if i can return it to them to fix.

38 minutes ago, Walkes07 said:

The Bachmann class 90 is a excellent model. It’s up there with the class 60 and Dapol class 68. Best electric on the market. Love the pantograph as well. Makes the Hornby one look like a toy. Well done Bachmann 

I'd be inclined to agree with you :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

this is my problem, it broke my pickup wires from the bogie to the pcb board but because it's Bachmann it's ok. If this was Hornby the forum would be in melt down.............

anyways i'm going to speak with Bachmann today and see if i can return it to them to fix.

Please, let's not start all the blue box v red box nonsense again. We have been there, done that and got the T shirt.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

I'm going to speak with Bachmann today and see if i can return it to them to fix.

Consumer rights state that your issue is with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

Your retailer's issue is with whoever they bought it from, etc.

Eventually this will be passed back to the manufacturer but they are not obliged to deal directly with you.

• Agree 3

I don't comment much but I thought I'd just mention that my first 90005 arrived with the broken bogie tower problem along with parts underneath needing to be pushed back into place, indicating to me poor handling by the delivery company.

My 90042 was delivered by royal mail and was fine. My replacement for 90005 is perfect, then again I picked it up from the shop this time to be certain it would be ok

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

So we have had reports from everyone who bought a 90? If Bachmann has only sold 25, there is a much bigger story we are missing.

Sorry, I credited people with being able to understand representative statistics. My mistake. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Markwj said:

What are the many issues with it? Have seen queries over the glazing, cab steps and how the pantograph sits but other than the build problems which should be sorted by sending back to the retailer /Bachmann  what else is there?

cheers

now im thinking about the monty python skit " yes but apart from A B C D etc...……...what have the romans ever done for us"

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

now im thinking about the monty python skit " yes but apart from A B C D etc...……...what have the romans ever done for us"

7 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

Having had another look at the bogie there is indeed a screw, I wonder if they are suppose to go through the hole in the chassis that is clearly visible right where the screw is in the bogie. I’m thinking when assembled it they forgot to actually put the screw through the chassis first. If you are prepared to disassemble the thing you could “fix” it.

Some years back there was an interesting article or item (sorry, can't remember where) about designing the packaging for new Hornby models, which included the 'drop test' where essentially the item in its packaging is kicked around to see if it can survive. 

The Bachmann class 90 is a new model, and it would appear from the posts here that there may be a slight weakness in both the design of the bogie tower attachment and the packaging given the journey that these models have to make from China to the UK, the dealer and then often by post to the customer. It certainly doesn't infer a fundamental design issue, more a conditional issue of robustness. There were similar comments re the recent Hornby unstreamlined Coronation and a tendency with rough handling for the chassis/body locating slot to break in transit. There will always be some degree of risk with the very first issue of a brand new model despite everyone's best endeavours.

I am sure that these issues will be addressed for future batches but as has been advised in previous posts, should you get a model that is broken this way, you have the right in law to return it - its an unfortunate event for the buyer but in the circumstances the only reasonable remedy.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

Having had another look at the bogie there is indeed a screw, I wonder if they are suppose to go through the hole in the chassis that is clearly visible right where the screw is in the bogie. I’m thinking when assembled it they forgot to actually put the screw through the chassis first. If you are prepared to disassemble the thing you could “fix” it.

What happens on the other bogie that seems to be fine? Presumably they should be the same.

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

What happens on the other bogie that seems to be fine? Presumably they should be the same.

Both bogies are actually broken, I can clearly see (tilting the loco at the right angle towards the light) the retaining screw in both. I bought mine of a certain auction site from the freight liner shop. I know they have non left but I don’t want to return for a refund. See what happens

• Friendly/supportive 2

just taken a look and my intercity 90 is afflicted with the bogie issue at one end - hangs down and too much front-back play.  So that's two of my three 90s being returned now (for different reasons).  I have no doubt the shop I bought from will see me good but a bit disappointing - I have >100 Bach locos in my collection and have only ever had cause to return 1 before.

M

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Mmm, given the issues some seem to be having I've just unboxed my Intercity one to see if it has any obvious defects, fortunately no dropping bogies or missing buffers so hopefully when I get the chip sorted soon I hope to have a functioning loco.  It does seem that there have been subjectively rather a few damaged models although it would be interesting to hear from retailers or those in the trade to see if the number of postings here is in any way representative of a higher failure rate generally and compared to other first run models.

Anyone in the trade got any unofficial gen?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I posted some pics of the 90005 IC which I bought in York on bank holiday Saturday at the end of May. I cannot, I’m pleased and relieved to say, see any of the issues, especially the drooping bogie on it. I’m sorry for everyone who has those issues, and I hope they get resolved very quickly.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Market65 said:

I posted some pics of the 90005 IC which I bought in York on bank holiday Saturday at the end of May. I cannot, I’m pleased and relieved to say, see any of the issues, especially the drooping bogie on it. I’m sorry for everyone who has those issues, and I hope they get resolved very quickly.

Best regards,

Rob.

Mine fortunately has none of the afflictions other members have suffered. I have dc only but its performance is outstanding and responsive under load in both conventional and push/pull mode with DVT.Like Rob,I hope Bachmann act promptly to sort out these difficulties.They do have a good track record in doing so,as was the case with the revised Class 40 a few years back.These things happen from time to time it seems.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Market65 said:

Best regards,

Rob.

I'm the same with my Freightliner 90 thus no issues & working perfectly and it was posted to me, but the shop I purchased it from inspects & tests the loco's before dispatch which is a bonus.