Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

On 07/06/2019 at 14:52, Walkes07 said:

The Bachmann class 90 is a excellent model. It’s up there with the class 60 and Dapol class 68. Best electric on the market. Love the pantograph as well. Makes the Hornby one look like a toy. Well done Bachmann 

The Hornby Class 90 is a toy.... *Facepalm*

It was designed and made during an era where these were toys and not highly detailed scale models.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Funny 1

^ I don't agree.   

they were not sold as "toys" at all.  its easy to sit here in 2019 behind a keyboard and plant that suggestion but the Hornby 90s and other models were sold as "scale models" 30 odd years ago.  was the industry a toy industry back then?   I would say its not different to today being a mix of toy and model.

from todays position it is easy to look back and say those old models were crude and lacked details and fidelity etc. but they were state of the art for the day and I don't see that that justifies calling them toys but that's just my view.  the modern day version might be something like the Thomas range. 

However I do agree with how Walkes07's put it in that the new 90 does indeed make the old H one look like a toy (in unmodified form) but that's a different context which I do get.

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

15 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

^ I don't agree.   

they were not sold as "toys" at all.  its easy to sit here in 2019 behind a keyboard and plant that suggestion but the Hornby 90s and other models were sold as "scale models" 30 odd years ago.  was the industry a toy industry back then?   I would say its not different to today being a mix of toy and model.

from todays position it is easy to look back and say those old models were crude and lacked details and fidelity etc. but they were state of the art for the day and I don't see that that justifies calling them toys but that's just my view.  the modern day version might be something like the Thomas range. 

However I do agree with how Walkes07's put it in that the new 90 does indeed make the old H one look like a toy (in unmodified form) but that's a different context which I do get.

During the period of 'interim' management by the supermarket team at Hornby, one of them was quoted as saying they were positioned for the toy market, so that is sold as toys. To be realistic though no matter the level of detail, the skill and care of painting and lettering. even the craft of model engineering, when we take our trains and run them are we not playing? if we play are they not, in the end, big boys (and girls) toys?

Edited by Ian_B
spelling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

To be fair though, had Bachmann not pre-announced their superb new Class 90 for the past five years then the veteran “toy” Hornby 90 would most likely still be in their main scale full price range - I mean even the Railroad Edition has an eye-watering £70+ RRP for what we may call a toy here!

FWIW I like the Bachmann 90, I’m pickier than many with RTR and I ruin a lot of squeaky clean locos in the persuit of realism and there’s very little that can’t be sorted in minutes at most! The working BW pantograph is superb too.

On a side tangent - as OHLE Modellers we’ll all have to up our game - it’s easy to knock the Bachmann 90 but I’ll bet that deep down, me included, you know your own layout has more inaccuracies than Bachmann’s model here!! 

With some free time later I’m now about to reduce the volume of ‘pristine’ Bachmann Intercity 90s out there..! :lol:

Cheers,

James

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 09:25, Darius43 said:

I have just received the Intercity liveried Class 90 from a different vendor than my original Class 90 and alas it has the same problem - the non pantograph end bogie tower is broken.  This is what it looks like after it was first removed from the box.

E85FE1EB-F4D5-4729-97F4-D06FCCB2331A.jpeg.2505999d453382015c5c07f5480a78e9.jpeg

Alas this will have to be returned as well.

it’s a lovely model but this is looking suspiciously like a design flaw.

Darius

Only realised on Sunday night that my Freightliner one is similarly affected. (Inter City seems o.k. so far).

Hate to have to burden my local model shop (the only one in Zone 1) with the return but apart from any other considerations Bachmann need to know the full extent of the problem.

On 09/06/2019 at 11:34, James Makin said:

On a side tangent - as OHLE Modellers we’ll all have to up our game - it’s easy to knock the Bachmann 90 but I’ll bet that deep down, me included, you know your own layout has more inaccuracies than Bachmann’s model here!! 

Not everyone. Some have already produced some very nice OLE.

Not me though. I will be attempting something a little better than my last effort.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Received my 2 replacements from rails today and they both have the loose bogie issue, they were replaced for different reasons. Has anyone completed the repair at home. Have emailed Bachmann am not going back and too to rails to see what they suggest.

hmm youd think after returning two models the replacements would be checked before posting.   think if I buy one it will be in person to check the models pukka at the shop.  the class 85 had no bogie issues which uses a similar bo-bo platform

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The models were checked for the faults on the originals which were not bogie related (they were missing buffers etc) so while these have the full complement of buffers they also have droopy bogies!

Am sending back to Bachmann let them sort it out bit annoyed I have to pay postage etc whereas rails paid for me to send them back first time.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Markwj said:

The models were checked for the faults on the originals which were not bogie related (they were missing buffers etc) so while these have the full complement of buffers they also have droopy bogies!

Am sending back to Bachmann let them sort it out bit annoyed I have to pay postage etc whereas rails paid for me to send them back first time.

I understand your frustration but contractually you need to raise this with the retailer and not Bachmann. the retailer should refund the postage. It may be the case that this defect occurs in transit.  

I am awaiting, with some trepidation, replacement locos from two separate retailers.  If they have the same fault they will go back for a full refund and I will buy the models over the counter in a shop to make sure they don’t have this or any other problems.   In my case this will involve a trip to Guildford.

Darius

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

I understand your frustration but contractually you need to raise this with the retailer and not Bachmann. the retailer should refund the postage. It may be the case that this defect occurs in transit.  

I am awaiting, with some trepidation, replacement locos from two separate retailers.  If they have the same fault they will go back for a full refund and I will buy the models over the counter in a shop to make sure they don’t have this or any other problems.   In my case this will involve a trip to Guildford.

Darius

I agree I need to raise with retailer and have sent them an email to let them know as these are already replacement models but I want Bachmann to sort them under warranty. I am concerned if I send them back to the retailer that they may not have any without issues to send me so by sending to Bachmann they 'should' be sorted.

1 hour ago, Markwj said:

I agree I need to raise with retailer and have sent them an email to let them know as these are already replacement models but I want Bachmann to sort them under warranty. I am concerned if I send them back to the retailer that they may not have any without issues to send me so by sending to Bachmann they 'should' be sorted.

Mark,

you our really need to stick with Rails.  I’m really surprised that they sent you replacements that were defective... I don’t know if it’s because I’m an international customer, but all my orders from Rails (locos)  get checked before being sent (thanks JW).

the retailers have a process for notifying and returning defective locos to the manufacturers.  I’m sure it’ll be a lot quicker, easier and cheaper than dealing with Bachmann.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

8 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

the retailers have a process for notifying and returning defective locos to the manufacturers.  I’m sure it’ll be a lot quicker, easier and cheaper than dealing with Bachmann.

Bachmann are not legally obliged to deal directly with the customer with faulty goods.

Your supplier is responsible. It then becomes their problem which they take up with their supplier. This responsibility passes on recursively until it reaches the manufacturer.

• Agree 1

No bogie issues with my RF 90. Curious that so many contributors on this site have all had the same fault (with quality control)?

Hopefully this will convince Bachmann to have another go as quickly as possible and this time with RES and EWS liveries on the side

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Markwj said:

As others have said, you send the loco back to the place you bought it from, in the same way you take a faulty new car back to the dealer and a duff washing machine to Currys (other retailers are available). Your retailer is responsible for sorting this out, and the vast majority are perfectly happy to do this for you. .

I've never understood why railway modellers think consumer rights work any differently for toy trains.

• Agree 4

5 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I've never understood why railway modellers think consumer rights work any differently for toy trains.

Come on Phil, you know the normal everyday rules for consumer rights, behaviour, social etiquette do not apply for railway modellers!

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

As others have said, you send the loco back to the place you bought it from, in the same way you take a faulty new car back to the dealer and a duff washing machine to Currys (other retailers are available). Your retailer is responsible for sorting this out, and the vast majority are perfectly happy to do this for you. .

It's exactly the same for bikes too. People are often thoroughly indignant when a manufacturer tells them to return items to the place of purchase. I guess people think they're somehow cutting out the middle man and making things easier.

1 hour ago, letterspider said:

Hopefully this will convince Bachmann to have another go as quickly as possible and this time with RES and EWS liveries on the side

Yes EWS is good plus another Freightliner in the older livery pre-Powerhaul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, njee20 said:

It's exactly the same for bikes too. People are often thoroughly indignant when a manufacturer tells them to return items to the place of purchase. I guess people think they're somehow cutting out the middle man and making things easier.

But problem with models is the limited batch size - quite often a retailer is sold out and can only offer a refund, rather than replacement. Here it is necessary to go back to the manufacturer

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Darius

The first replacement has arrived and (phew) the bogies are atatched just fine.  The buffing plate had snapped off at one cab end but that is easy to re-fix.  One replacement OK, one more to go...

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

But problem with models is the limited batch size - quite often a retailer is sold out and can only offer a refund, rather than replacement. Here it is necessary to go back to the manufacturer

Or for your retailer to procure replacement from the manufacturer...

10 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Or for your retailer to procure replacement from the manufacturer...

some retailers won't do this, and will just offer refund (as is there right), as too much hastle them sending a model for repair.

Basically consumer law works fine when you are making high volumes of a product, but not so much for what are effectively batch limited models

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I understand how consumer rights work thank you however they have been back and to From rails and are still defective so I was going to make use of the manufacturers  warranty which they offer rather than risk another faulty model which has to go back for the third time!

Rails say they checked these before they were sent out but they are still faulty why would I want to risk it again.

i returned my new Bachmann Mk2f blue/grey BSO to RAILS and they swapped it for a different coach no quibbles - an FO as it happens even though I was offered my money back too.  (incidentally the BSO coach was actually physically fine but my beef was that Bachmann had printed "Inter-City" at the toilet end in the wrong position (yet its in the correct position on the blue grey DBSOs and the BSO in Executive livery.

Bachmann were duly notified so I hope they crank out a blue grey BSO again with correction but the service from RAILs was great and they sent through a return postage label.

Just seen a pic in this months issue of Hornby Magazine of 90 017 in swallow livery but without the small farings behind the cab rooves - pity Bachmann didn't tool up without these and had them as add-on pieces for the majority of incarnations that followed.