Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

2 hours ago, Markwj said:

Rails say they checked these before they were sent out but they are still faulty why would I want to risk it again.

Because that’s how the returns procedure/system works???

the 3 models are still showing in stock at Rails, so I just don’t see what the issue is...

my 90’s, from rails, made it to the other side of the world intact, so they do check them and pack them securely.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Mac said:

the 3 models are still showing in stock at Rails, so I just don’t see what the issue is...

my 90’s, from rails, made it to the other side of the world intact, so they do check them and pack them securely.

I have spoken to Bachmann they are fine with me sending them to them under the warranty so why the issue! 

I tried the returns thing it didn't work so I reckon if they go to Bachmann I should be guaranteed working models instead of a Russian roulette with rails stock.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Markwj said:

I have spoken to Bachmann they are fine with me sending them to them under the warranty so why the issue!

With all due respect and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were the one complaining about having to pay for return shipping to Bachmann?  :)

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Markwj said:

I tried the returns thing it didn't work so I reckon if they go to Bachmann I should be guaranteed working models instead of a Russian roulette with rails stock.

Where do you think Rails get their stock from?

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, YesTor said:

With all due respect and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were the one complaining about having to pay for return shipping to Bachmann?  :)

Correct but on balance I would rather pay once to Bachmann and have them repaired than potentially having to send back to rails a third time.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

Yes, but case a different example. Way back, Rails received its allocation of Hornby's GWR liveried Castle 5011 Tintagel Castle and most if not all had an incorrect smokebox numberplate. Other retailers' were fine so presumably a batch were produced incorrectly and most or all went to Rails. If you knew a replacement would be the same, why send it back again and again. Rails ordering more wasn't an option as Hornby sold out apparently because the production run was curtailed when the tooling broke.

With limited production runs and the risk of missing out, I'm sure I would follow the route most likely to ensure a "good" model.

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

GWR Castles and all GWR locos......before the Swindon panzers jump on you.....did not carry smoke box plates,Numbers were stencilled/painted on buffer beams. I think you mean that ?

The first batch of new 5011 Castles did indeed have smokebox number plates when they shouldn’t have. A tooling error in the factory which Hornby soon rectified I believe. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 11:51, jonathan452 said:

Only realised on Sunday night that my Freightliner one is similarly affected. (Inter City seems o.k. so far).

Hate to have to burden my local model shop (the only one in Zone 1) with the return but apart from any other considerations Bachmann need to know the full extent of the problem.

Received a refund thank you.

However my local model shop cannot order a replacement as they have been advised that the (Freightliner) Class 90 is now out of stock at Bachmann. (May now take a trip to Guilford.)

They were also told by (yesterday) that Bachmann were not aware of any issues (?). I don't know if this would have been the head office or the regional rep.

Also noting that my local model shop were unfortunately totally unaware of RMWeb which made it rather difficult for me to explain that there is circumstantial evidence that a design/production issue exists with a number of the models.

8 minutes ago, jonathan452 said:

They were also told by (yesterday) that Bachmann were not aware of any issues (?).

Barwell is fully aware of the issues; as stated up-thread, at least one contributor to this topic has been in contact with the Service department, and manufacturers do read RMWeb.

• Thanks 1

I have just dispatched my faulty class 90 to Sheffield but today they are refusing to refud the postage, insisting I accept a credit to my account instead. This is the first time I have come accross this, I have always been refunded in the past.

5 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

Barwell is fully aware of the issues; as stated up-thread, at least one contributor to this topic has been in contact with the Service department, and manufacturers do read RMWeb.

I wrote to Bachmann 10 days ago raising the issue concerning my broken class 90, they replied saying my issue had been "ecscalated as feedback" so they are very much aware.

It all depends how many customers and retailers raise the same issue as to weather or not it can be considered more than a one-off. As has been mentioned before if there are only a handful of such complaints it would rightly be considered as isolated events put down to postage. If there are a significant number then action will be needed. Unfortunately we are not in a position to determine in which situation we find ourselves, only Bachmann and their larger retailers would truely know.

Edited by Matabiau
  • Like 1

Had phone call from my local retailer this evening. He had ordered 2 of each loco, 4 have to go back. Bachmann have told him they cannot replace them as they have no stock but can try to repair the issue's with sloppy bogies.

Typically the Intercity one i ordered is affected. Have told him to send back as this is Bachmanns problem....

• Informative/Useful 2

Sorry if this has been covered before, but does anyone know the exact problem with these bogie issues? I'm wondering if those models that "seem ok" are likely to suffer failures in future due to some missing screw putting stress on parts not designed to take it, and whether we should all be taking pre-emptive action to avoid such.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My Class 90 arrived recently. Seems I am not the only one with this problem

One of the bogies had an excess of sideway & back/front movement

On investigation I found that the boss (pivot) that locates the bogie was broken

If looks like the screw holding the bogie to the chassis may have been over tightened to the point where the boss broke or was that stressed that the shocks during transport caused it to brake

I tapped the boss to 2mm & super glued it back in place, next day I run the tap through the boss & into what was left of the bogie frame, & held the bogie into the chassis with a longer screw that so far has been ok.

Photo shows the boss super glued in place, look closely & you may see the excess glue

1890347386_bogie1.jpg.ffe0d1028b711002df7ec26b540a51ad.jpg

While reassembling the loco I noticed the second bogie was not right,

Turns out the boss on that bogie was also broken

The screw was tightened to the point where the boss was distorted & very tight in its piviot hole

bogie_2.jpg.e279535eb1fa4b0531006ab8849fda97.jpg

This drawing may help to explain how I repaired the second bogie

bogie3.jpg.e70d57fc3f4153ef263a3d22d0cb114b.jpg

If the first bogie fails I’ll try this same repair on it

If anybody is interested the servo looks a bit like this

servo.jpg.d901a9f59d522e128cd86a0e4cbb10fb.jpg

Should I have sent this back for repairs? Maybe. If I sent it back then that could be another month(I live in Oz) or more before I see the model again

I have contacted my retailer Requesting replacement bogies but from previous posts I get the impression that they may not be available

Time will tell.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, John ks said:

My Class 90 arrived recently. Seems I am not the only one with this problem

One of the bogies had an excess of sideway & back/front movement

On investigation I found that the boss (pivot) that locates the bogie was broken

If looks like the screw holding the bogie to the chassis may have been over tightened to the point where the boss broke or was that stressed that the shocks during transport caused it to brake

I tapped the boss to 2mm & super glued it back in place, next day I run the tap through the boss & into what was left of the bogie frame, & held the bogie into the chassis with a longer screw that so far has been ok.

Photo shows the boss super glued in place, look closely & you may see the excess glue

1890347386_bogie1.jpg.ffe0d1028b711002df7ec26b540a51ad.jpg

While reassembling the loco I noticed the second bogie was not right,

Turns out the boss on that bogie was also broken

The screw was tightened to the point where the boss was distorted & very tight in its piviot hole

bogie_2.jpg.e279535eb1fa4b0531006ab8849fda97.jpg

This drawing may help to explain how I repaired the second bogie

bogie3.jpg.e70d57fc3f4153ef263a3d22d0cb114b.jpg

If the first bogie fails I’ll try this same repair on it

If anybody is interested the servo looks a bit like this

servo.jpg.d901a9f59d522e128cd86a0e4cbb10fb.jpg

Should I have sent this back for repairs? Maybe. If I sent it back then that could be another month(I live in Oz) or more before I see the model again

I have contacted my retailer Requesting replacement bogies but from previous posts I get the impression that they may not be available

Time will tell.

John

This is really helpful John and hopefully the repairs will hold up.

Can I ask how you removed the body shell? I would like to do this but am anxious not to damage the servo assembly in doing so.

Best wishes, Phil 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/06/2019 at 17:30, Matabiau said:

I have just dispatched my faulty class 90 to Sheffield but today they are refusing to refud the postage, insisting I accept a credit to my account instead. This is the first time I have come accross this, I have always been refunded in the past.

Under CCR they can’t do that, you are legally entitled to a refund on additional costs incurred through returning faulty goods. This isn’t the case if you simply change your mind, although you’re fully entitled to do that too! In that case they may not charge any ‘restocking’ fees or anything though. 

1 hour ago, philiprporter said:

This is really helpful John and hopefully the repairs will hold up.

Can I ask how you removed the body shell? I would like to do this but am anxious not to damage the servo assembly in doing so. the servo is attached to the body, see the last pic in my previous post

Best wishes, Phil 

Phil

Take out the 4 screws that hold the decoder panel Blue arrow

There are 2 screws that are accessed by rotating the bogies(diagonally opposite each other) Red Arrow

1742338927_class90screw.jpg.b0e7cfaa794928a5e0c1f718a37be5e6.jpg

There 2 more screws that are under the outer end of the bogie

class90005.jpg.eab68238d50085bed684b4928cba0e9b.jpg

With your fingernails or similar gently spread the body & the chassis should come out fairly easily

When you lift the body off the chassis there are 4 leads from the body to the circuit board, unplug these (Front cab lights ,servo, speaker, rear cab lights) & the body complete with servo will be separate from the chassis

Hope this helps

John

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hi all was just wondering if anyone has run the class 90 with mk3 coaches and DVT yet ? I run mine with the pulling but when pushing it seen derail on corners maybe I should different coupling?  currently using the standard ones at the min anyone got any ideas or suggestions ?

54 minutes ago, Verulam Central said:

Hi all was just wondering if anyone has run the class 90 with mk3 coaches and DVT yet ? I run mine with the pulling but when pushing it seen derail on corners maybe I should different coupling?  currently using the standard ones at the min anyone got any ideas or suggestions ?

Assume your talking about oxford rail MK3A’s as opposed to Lima or Hornby?

Has been covered in detail in the past on the oxford rail threads, also sure i’ve Seem YouTube video’s on the subject as well.  If it is oxford rail coaches, then yes, there great for pulling but not pushing.

• RMweb Gold

1 hour ago, Verulam Central said:

Oxford or Hornby Mark 3 ? Curve radius ?.Does the derailment occur with coach coupled to DVT ? If the latter is the case,you can resolve the issue by simply removing the buffer head of the DVT which does tend to foul the rear of the adjoining Mark 3 on curves.I cannot speak for Hornby couplings but the Ox couplings are atrocious and blight the appearance of a rake. If at all possible replace with Kadees.Check that the bogies do not foul the inner edge of the coach bodies as well. I have a rake of 6 Ox plus Hornby DVT which run equally smoothly in either direction. Thanks to Alex ( Lochnagar )  for that.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
For accuracy

1 hour ago, John ks said:

Phil

Take out the 4 screws that hold the decoder panel Blue arrow

There are 2 screws that are accessed by rotating the bogies(diagonally opposite each other) Red Arrow

1742338927_class90screw.jpg.b0e7cfaa794928a5e0c1f718a37be5e6.jpg

There 2 more screws that are under the outer end of the bogie

class90005.jpg.eab68238d50085bed684b4928cba0e9b.jpg

With your fingernails or similar gently spread the body & the chassis should come out fairly easily

When you lift the body off the chassis there are 4 leads from the body to the circuit board, unplug these (Front cab lights ,servo, speaker, rear cab lights) & the body complete with servo will be separate from the chassis

Hope this helps

John

Thats brilliant John thank you so much!

from those photos it does look like there is plenty of room between the bogie frames for conversion to EM or P4.

not sure if the standard wheels can simply be pulled out or whether replacements will be needed although I appreciate they will for P4 for reliable running.  Cant believe those photos of the bogie pivots broken off though......….