Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

I had 2 of 3 of my 90s arrive with issues though one was an electrical gremlin whilst second was the dreaded bogie issue.  My retailer (Kernow) took them back and replaced one, and sent the other away to Bach for repair.  Service from Kernow was excellent overall.  On returning my models repaired, they were packaged differently to protect the bogies in transit - the loco was out of its plastic tray and wrapped in a lot of bubble wrap which both protected it and I assume prevented as much bogie movement.  Loco arrived absolutely fine.  I would take from this that retailers are finding ways to prevent the sort of damage experienced in the post with first issues - I would also expect most retailers are alerted to the issue now and checking locos before despatch though it may be worth checking.

M

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We shall be at the the DRS open day on the 20th if you are attending. I shall have three class 90's and three decoders for sale ( all three have been fully tested)  one 32-610 (9005)  and two 32-611's ( 90037). If you wish to reserve one please PM me.

All profits towards the restoration of D6703/37003

Cheers

Philip

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/07/2019 at 23:54, BritishRail60062 said:

That's true guys. Sadly there is no local model shop where I am and I have to rely on mail order to get anything new where I am. I even tried looking for a model train shop in Belfast and there is nothing there either apart from a wee model shop at Smithfield Market and he mainly sells diecast models and a few second hand model trains :(.

There is Modellers Corner in Enniskillen stock of Hornby, Bachmann (included some 47s), Oxford Rail, Murphy Models, Large of Peco trackwork, N-gauge etc etc.

Modellers Corner was Large model shop in Northern ireland.

Edited by steventrain
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, steventrain said:

There is Modellers Corner in Enniskillen stock of Hornby, Bachmann (included some 47s), Oxford Rail, Murphy Models, Large of Peco trackwork, N-gauge etc etc.

Modellers Corner was Large model shop in Northern ireland.

Cheers mate. I will be in touch with them although there is not much on their website. Maybe they have more of the Bachmann range and including the Class 90 in store (fingers crossed) ;).

• 2 weeks later...

Model duplication is nothing new so heres a question.   Can the market stand another all new Class 87 from Bachmann using their Class 90 chassis as a base?

Just thinking out loud given the Hornby models strangely set up lighting system, difficulties fitting decoders into the tiny space availavle and of the you have amuch nicer High Speed pantograph from Bachmann that could be motorised.

What are peoples thoughts?   Yes it would be around £20 more expensive than the Hornby one.

I personally think that the pans can perhaps be remodelled or if available from Bachmann can be retro fitted to the otherwise superb Hornby model but can that lighting system be sorted ?   Maybe a question for the Hornby 87 thread really - would Hornby do a fix on the lighting for better control?

On 03/07/2019 at 12:38, Markwalker67 said:

i would go with legoman sound for class 90 digitrain is still being tweak I do not think howes sound for class 90 is setup for Bachmann class 90. this what i recommend but it up to you.

If you go with the Legomanbiffo Class 90, you can, if you dont like it return it for a full refund.  Honestly though I believe you won't be returning it as we have sold nearly 300  (291 Actually) with Rails of Sheffield & Cheltenham Models taking over 60.

See the link if interested:   https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=286

Thanks   Charlie (Legomanbiffoteam)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

I purchased the IC version from Rails, a lovely looking loco.  Sadly, when I undid the clamshell packaging, bits flew off!  Rails were, as always, great with their immediate offer of a replacement, which arrived on Saturday.  I had purchased the Legoman Biffo sound chip at the same time, and after a bit of a struggle to find a screwdriver that would undo the cover, installation was very straightforward.  as I always do, re-numbered the model, using my NCE Power cab set-up, and  worked perfectly on the rolling road, both sound and mechanical-wise.  then.... I realised there were no instructions with the sound card, (not sure why, surely an omission by Rails or Legoman?), went on the DC kits website and downloaded the relevant info. Whoops!  it advises that you cannot readdress the card whilst it is in-situ in the loco.  Hope that hasn't caused damage or invalidated my warranty. 

Has anyone tried to re-number/rename an IC version.  Just asking as 90005's name is higher than most other IC' 90's, hence wondering how difficult the names are to remove, and whether it can be done without damaging the Intercity Dark Grey below it.

Thanks in anticipation,

Best Regards,

Christopher.

On 12/09/2019 at 15:28, bulver said:

Whoops!  it advises that you cannot readdress the card whilst it is in-situ in the loco.  Hope that hasn't caused damage or invalidated my warranty. 

I'm pretty sure i changed the address with the chip in the loco. I did have a problem trying to read the chip with a lokprogrammer whilst it was in the loco. I had to remove the chip and install it directly on the lokprogrammer.

• Like 1

On 12/09/2019 at 23:07, dogbox321 said:

Has anyone tried to re-number/rename an IC version.  Just asking as 90005's name is higher than most other IC' 90's, hence wondering how difficult the names are to remove, and whether it can be done without damaging the Intercity Dark Grey below it.

Thanks in anticipation,

I take it no-one has had a go then yet?  I quite fancied a 90013 The Law Society.......

Regards,

C.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

I take it no-one has had a go then yet?  I quite fancied a 90013 The Law Society.......

Regards,

C.

There's been loads of pics of people's renumbered Bachmann '90's on the Facebook groups, they've sadly not made it onto here though! Also some great livery modifications, Intercity Mainline, Freightliner triple grey, RES and so on, the new 90s are a great base!

I'm tackling 90013 at the moment as it happens, the numbers come off nice and easy with Humbrol enamel thinners, and it's just a case of masking off the windows to give the respective coats of gloss varnish for the transfers & finish off with an overall matt varnish to tone everything down ready for paint-on/wipe-off weathering, I don't fancy taking the model right apart as it looks a bit complicated compared to a normal Bachmann loco!!

I'll pop some pics on my Workbench thread when it's all done, it'll likely be a few more months until I get around to doing the final airbrush traffic weathering stages as I'm holding it back to do my forthcoming Hornby Virgin Class 87s as a big batch job in one go!

Cheers,

James

• Like 3

9 hours ago, James Makin said:

There's been loads of pics of people's renumbered Bachmann '90's on the Facebook groups, they've sadly not made it onto here though! Also some great livery modifications, Intercity Mainline, Freightliner triple grey, RES and so on, the new 90s are a great base!

I'm tackling 90013 at the moment as it happens, the numbers come off nice and easy with Humbrol enamel thinners, and it's just a case of masking off the windows to give the respective coats of gloss varnish for the transfers & finish off with an overall matt varnish to tone everything down ready for paint-on/wipe-off weathering, I don't fancy taking the model right apart as it looks a bit complicated compared to a normal Bachmann loco!!

I'll pop some pics on my Workbench thread when it's all done, it'll likely be a few more months until I get around to doing the final airbrush traffic weathering stages as I'm holding it back to do my forthcoming Hornby Virgin Class 87s as a big batch job in one go!

Cheers,

James

Hi James, that sounds good, and will look forward to seeing it, especially at your high standards.  Have you managed to get the name off though easily, and without damage.  As Financial Times is higher than most others, including 90013.

Best Regards,

Christopher.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

Hi James, that sounds good, and will look forward to seeing it, especially at your high standards.  Have you managed to get the name off though easily, and without damage.  As Financial Times is higher than most others, including 90013.

Best Regards,

Christopher.

Thanks, I’m looking forward to getting it finished!

The nameplate came off really well, touch of Humbrol Enamel Thinners, I took a few step photos, the printing took less than 30 secs to just lift off the side..!

Step 1 - Exhibit A, the ‘victim’...

F19CA78B-F8E5-447A-88FF-246552D6B4CE.jpeg.47474bd46340a6086ae19b81bda7ec63.jpeg

Step 2 -

Enamel thinners put onto a cotton bud and dabbed over the plate 

63D8851A-7BED-4C84-8097-2880F399027F.jpeg.3538ab42388b8eb8baad09a9cced7a23.jpeg

Instant bubbling of black backing and silver lettering..!

Step 3 - Wipe off the printing with the cotton bud

959B000B-63B8-4BD0-9132-40B37E580824.jpeg.849cf4dc38c8fda6f10b9ff65d8ca952.jpeg

Step 4 - Dry off the affected area and make sure all thinners is removed

5D360B00-D143-41E9-A4F7-1FE9437ACDB5.jpeg.1830d4db80e8edf7cdeaa897b6dc256b.jpeg

Literally less than 30 seconds on the modern printing, some of the older Bachmann locos can be a pain but this was good! 

The dark grey body colour wasn’t touched but the procedure does leave a shinier spot where your plate was, this will completely disappear under a coat of matt varnish, but I’d recommend that in any event to tone down the model alongside the weathering process!

All in all, a decent fun project there! I can’t bear to part with my old detailed Hornby remotored versions but otherwise I’d be spraying up more Virgin & EWS, but I do fancy tackling the GNER 90024 on the new-gen Model someday as I never got round to that one the first time around!

Look forward to seeing how yours goes, these do look so smart in Intercity!

Cheers,

James

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, James Makin said:

Thanks, I’m looking forward to getting it finished!

The nameplate came off really well, touch of Humbrol Enamel Thinners, I took a few step photos, the printing took less than 30 secs to just lift off the side..!

Step 1 - Exhibit A, the ‘victim’...

F19CA78B-F8E5-447A-88FF-246552D6B4CE.jpeg.47474bd46340a6086ae19b81bda7ec63.jpeg

Step 2 -

Enamel thinners put onto a cotton bud and dabbed over the plate 

63D8851A-7BED-4C84-8097-2880F399027F.jpeg.3538ab42388b8eb8baad09a9cced7a23.jpeg

Instant bubbling of black backing and silver lettering..!

Step 3 - Wipe off the printing with the cotton bud

959B000B-63B8-4BD0-9132-40B37E580824.jpeg.849cf4dc38c8fda6f10b9ff65d8ca952.jpeg

Step 4 - Dry off the affected area and make sure all thinners is removed

5D360B00-D143-41E9-A4F7-1FE9437ACDB5.jpeg.1830d4db80e8edf7cdeaa897b6dc256b.jpeg

Literally less than 30 seconds on the modern printing, some of the older Bachmann locos can be a pain but this was good! 

The dark grey body colour wasn’t touched but the procedure does leave a shinier spot where your plate was, this will completely disappear under a coat of matt varnish, but I’d recommend that in any event to tone down the model alongside the weathering process!

All in all, a decent fun project there! I can’t bear to part with my old detailed Hornby remotored versions but otherwise I’d be spraying up more Virgin & EWS, but I do fancy tackling the GNER 90024 on the new-gen Model someday as I never got round to that one the first time around!

Look forward to seeing how yours goes, these do look so smart in Intercity!

Cheers,

James

Really good work James.  I think you will probably beat me on the 90.  Mainly working on the actual layout at the moment, when time permits.  But need to get a model now, as when I want one there will be none left!

Best Regards,

C.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:
  1. just one question about this one coat of varnish......do you go on thick as imagine a thin coat could leave the surface rough to the touch?  is there a secret way to achieve a great smooth finish?

Spray finishes need to be built up with a number of thin coats. No number of coats should leave the surface 'rough'.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:
  1. just one question about this one coat of varnish......do you go on thick as imagine a thin coat could leave the surface rough to the touch?  is there a secret way to achieve a great smooth finish?

I use the Railmatch rattle can aerosol varnishes, shaken well you get a nice smooth finish and you’d never know it was there!

As mentioned above, the key is just applying carefully, with the aerosol I do passes about 20cm back from the model and leave a few seconds to look at how it’s settling on the model before another pass to gradually build up the finish without flooding it in one go!

As with many things it’s good to practice on something cheap to start and get used to what you’re using before getting in knee deep on a new ‘90’! :)

Cheers,

James

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 14/09/2019 at 18:48, dogbox321 said:

Regards,

C.

Ive done pretty much every swallow one that the nameplates are available for, some rfd ones too and some ive gone further with and made them in FL grey machines.

buffers do need changing to freight versions on the RfD machines but Bachman’s haven’t made them available yet as far as I know

They are exceptionally easy to rework with the printed livery elements practically falling off, indeed the numbers will come away with just a blunted cocktail stick.

i follow a similar process to James has mentioned but I use t-cut vice thinners.

C6973E91-4C18-4F10-9FBA-8FA942B00A27.jpeg

5575E662-5BF2-4C17-A48F-8794A4CFD3A4.jpeg

B37C360C-7DD2-4C9C-A968-9B809D7E740C.jpeg

CB42C7D0-51C2-4112-B91F-83DCA0DE3D3A.jpeg

C2D8D097-8C85-4117-A3D6-30A190CEDB6F.jpeg

2AF04CB6-13B2-41EE-9939-5AC1AD6621AF.jpeg

EBA2BAD0-EA4D-4A0E-9FC4-6BE3573B4632.jpeg

7E9EB8E1-6D5B-48BF-BA59-2F9C80833B6E.jpeg

CD72AC9F-81E1-4096-8E5B-6B0357B6DDD9.jpeg

602469E2-334E-49FE-A602-57BBA60B902B.jpeg

ACDA74CC-EC29-4C96-957D-872EF345C0D6.jpeg

D4C1725E-7CA4-4A95-86B1-C1855EFE92C3.jpeg