Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

5 hours ago, sorabain said:

Nice work eric709. Did notice there seems to be a typo in one of the names "275 railway squdron"  <- should be squadron.

Not sure if that's what the previous few comments were obliquely referring to -- i can't see original post from Chard

Thank you

I did point out the typo to the supplier when they arrived, a new set would have taken months to produce so just went with what I had ultimately 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, eric709 said:

Thank you

I did point out the typo to the supplier when they arrived, a new set would have taken months to produce so just went with what I had ultimately 

Oh wow that is annoying/hilarious! I’d always wondered as a joke if any nameplates had ever had typos featured...now we know!

Is it the Fox Transfers etched nameplate here? Many years ago I did a model of 90010 (since sold) using Shawplan’s plates for this one and don’t remember noticing a typo, but it would be funny if I’d missed it!

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Gold
On 18/09/2019 at 17:55, sorabain said:

Nice work eric709. Did notice there seems to be a typo in one of the names "275 railway squdron"  <- should be squadron.

Not sure if that's what the previous few comments were obliquely referring to -- i can't see original post from Chard

Isn't that how squaddies say it anyway ?

• 1 month later...
On 30/10/2019 at 17:51, DBC90024 said:

Not totally relevant to the current thread but im hoping to be able to showcase my pair of Bachmann 90s on here soon, they're both repaints though ...

Kat :-)

I’m guessing one of them is 90024 in DB colours ?

• Funny 3

Nice one Rob D2, being a big Class 90 fan as I am, I have actually asked the question of DB Cargo Rail and also of Bachmann for 90024 to be done in the next 12-18 months in the Bachmann second or third wave of 90's, and if they wont be done anytime soon, then who knows, maybe it could be done using some form of vinyl transfer for the middle scenic section, whilst doing some research online regarding this - I came across this - which makes interesting viewing 

https://www.gabrielritchie.com/malcolmgroup/image/8

Here and now, my first two DB 90's are going to be pretty good needless to say, but no, not 90024, just yet.

Kat :-)

Edited by DBC90024
  • Like 1

I'm itching to repaint one and number one on my list is 90128 in SNCB

Can anyone tell me what Blue to use for SNCB one?

Do Railmatch or Phoenix Precision Paints or is it a standard RAL colour?

Thanks

T

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony M said:

I'm itching to repaint one and number one on my list is 90128 in SNCB

Can anyone tell me what Blue to use for SNCB one?

Do Railmatch or Phoenix Precision Paints or is it a standard RAL colour?

Thanks

T

Railmatch RM880, discontinued but in stock with Fox:

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/paint/railmatch-sncb-electric-blue

The yellow used was a Chrome yellow shade, although you'll only need it for the ends if you use the Fox transfers livery elements.

Edited by 298
  • Agree 1

Thanks for that.

Was chatting with Brian of Shawplan and didn't realise I got a pot of RM880 off him at MR Scotland (for a different job).. I have a head like a sieve.

I'll order up some decals from Fox then all I'll need is the 90 :-)

T

IMG_20191105_203026.jpg

• Like 1

Ah ok,

I’m not an expert on 90s, didn’t realise it was in a fancy scheme.

Yes bit tricky to paint that one.

-

Hi Rob, 

Yes, looks like a vinyl print might be the answer for the mid section with the cab ends being professionally reliveried if Bachmann arent to be doing one but am i really going to want to wait till 2021 for it at the very earliest ? lol... - i'm still playing catch-up due to s/t plans so 90024 is going to have to wait for the time being, but there is no harm in research.

Kat @johnsonstreetIEMD

Edited by DBC90024

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/05/2019 at 21:26, Darius43 said:

I have received the Bachmann Railfreight Class 90 loco and on removing it from the box I have noticed that one of the bogies appears to be loose from the main chassis.  It can be independently moved forwards and backwards several mm as well as side to side.  The other bogie (at the pantograph end) is attached to a central pivot and moves as a bogie would be expected to do.

On 05/06/2019 at 18:39, Matabiau said:

I have just received my Intercity Class 90 from Sheffield. The excitement was quickly dashed by the condition of the loco. The rubbing bars were both bent, one of the buffers was broken off, and worst of all one of the bogies was loose and a pice of plastic with a retaining screw fell out of the body.

On 06/06/2019 at 11:59, jonnyuk said:

i received my freightliner model yesterday and to my horror i have multiple problems it.

1: 2 buffers rattling around in the box

2: missing detail pack

3: Put the loco on the track and instantly got a grinding nose. Under inspection the non pantograph end driving bogie seems to have a lot of play in it and the wheels don't drive. I took the loco apart (moving the body) and the drive shaft from the central motor to the bogie tower had come out. No problem i though and put it back in. However it soon came out again and this is due to too much forward movement of the bogie tower.

Is this what people are talking about?

1441271773_2019-11-1815_21_07.jpg.756032d48693e2cbfe9febcfd4e0c4f4.jpg

117178408_2019-11-1815_21_17.jpg.cdc435d17835400ff84356a6af39e6b8.jpg

1950317078_2019-11-1815_21_30.jpg.3a8bd5f70a735917b8a83722cde2339f.jpg

Mine arrived the other day, haven't had a chance to run it in yet, just take it out of the box to admire the loco.

(Also 2 broken buffers, a loose screw from somewhere and a broken sandpipe).

Edited by Damo666
Hadn't finished the message.
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 07/06/2019 at 07:45, Daddyman said:

No need to defend yourself. Approximately 25 people have posted on here saying that they have bought a 90. A further 6 have bought a 90 and had bogie problems.

So, yes....a trend. 

I'm going through this thread, currently at page 44, so will add mine as a +1 to whatever the final tally is.

100770303_2019-11-1815_16_12.jpg.0a3f18e8807e0a1d9a06bf3efdff29cc.jpg

1270298002_2019-11-1815_18_01.jpg.e6317c5f046bc3cce88fcfedd74b8015.jpg

Edited by Damo666
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

wow seeing that photo of the drooping bogies it looks real bad......have they got this under control now?

There's only been the one production run, so unless Bachmann has been checking every model in its warehouse before bring shipped to retailers, I don't suppose anything has changed. It wasn't all the models that were affected, so they may be relying on retailers to send back defective models for repairs under warranty. Best to check the individual model in the shop before buying.

• Agree 2

Today seems like an appropriate day to be getting my hands on something that I have been waiting the best part of three years for, the Bachmann Class 90 in the livery that I have been craving, DB Cargo. Most people will be talking about their trip to Warley this weekend, the people they have met, the stands they have seen and the locos and various railway bits and bobs that they have come across, I have been to the post office for my ''fix'', and boy was it worth it, the only disappointment is, that my layout isnt completed yet, but i hope to get an opportunity to show the Class 90 running @johnsonstreetIEMD. 

I have been waiting for this one for a little while, so the time it's taken Bachmann to get it to production plus the planning and repaint time to get into the liver(ies) that matter to me. Freightliner Powerhaul, RfD and InterCity Swallow are nice liveries, but they would all look out of place on my layout, Johnson Street IEMD. I have been lucky with the timing of this in so much that I have managed to get not one but two DB 90s, well, they do have a colourful group of class members and long term I hope to showcase many of them.

The two I have gone for here and now are two which I previously had identical or virtually identical Hornby equivalents of, so, 90034 which I love, DB simply took off the DRS stickers and put nose and cabside stickers on it, perfect - and unusual. I like unusual liveries, not all unusual liveries, i like some level of uniformity with them, some DB have got right, and some less so I feel, but 90034 is nice. My model relivery expert had already done this in Hornby form back in 2017 (pictured) and he hasnt disappointed with 90034 in Bachmann form now also.

The second one, is 90028, now in DB Cargo red. 90028 now looks identical to 90019 and at the time of writing this blog, has just been joined by 90035 in the DB Cargo red pool, having been painted at Toton in the last few weeks, so, 90028, well, I had 90019 in Hornby (pictured) and at the turn of the year I was fortunate enough to go up to York to see this locomotive named at the York Railway Museum and it seemed like the right choice, on which one to go with, who knows, maybe in the coming months, i may come across 90019 or 90035 on ebay. I expect that Bachmann will do an EWS or DB one next and from this, i will have several renumbered and rebranded depending on which version we see released. I asked that 90034 get a more heavier weathering to indicate its longer existence in this colour scheme and that 90028 looked fresh out of the paint shop and this looks pretty much true to the results.

I have recently managed to snare a DCC sound unit several weeks ago, and had already acquired a chip for the second one, so now its a case of deciding which 90 will be sound fitted. It is my intention to have a third DB 90 as a Christmas present, i'm not sure which form this will take, i love 90037 in the ex-EWS DB form, and I had this previously done so in the Hornby shape so its probable - but i also really want the Malcolm Logistics DB 90024 and believe it may be possible to be done - but this needs a bit more research here and now. I hope to have a stable of about six DB 90s in time, Johnson Street is going to be place where several active DB 90s will reside, so its likely 90019 and 90021 will appear alongside 90024 and 90037 as well as the two here today. I am also waiting to see what DB do to the forthcoming Grand Central 90s, (which are planned to be coming into service on the Blackpool-Euston route from next springtime) whether they will be reliveried into GC, as ''a DB 90 guardian'', I'm hoping that they dont rebrand any of the more recent examples as referred to above - should DB rebrand any of the active 90 pool, preferrably it would be either 90020/90039 (currently in faded EWS) or 90029/90040 (currently in ex-Schenker DB red) - I'm guessing DB will rebrand two or three of their 90s like they did with the First Scotrail contract - but im hoping the fleet still maintains what I call ''United Colours of DB".

Kat @johnsonstreetIEMD

24_11_19 - Bachmann 90028 & 90034 - 3.jpg

24_11_19 - Bachmann 90028 & 90034 - 1.jpg

24_11_19 - Bachmann 90028 & 90034 - 5.jpg

24_11_19 - Bachmann 90028 & 90034 - 12.jpg

Edited by DBC90024
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Both sound and DCC versions are shown as in stock. For Bachmann’s special decoder, which is programmed to operate the pantograph remotely, you pay around £40. For £50 more, you can have a sound version. You can fit a programmed sound decoder costing an extra £60. To me, the extra seems a bargain.

Just in case it has escaped anyone’s notice, the DCC ready version comes with a speaker fitted. It is also possible to programme a cheaper non-sound decoder but it is necessary to know what you are doing because an unprogrammed normal decoder will destroy the servo motor which operates the panto.