Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

22 hours ago, YesTor said:

Although if modelling an arguably 'bland' prototype then all the more opportunity to innovate/push the boundaries on the details that are actually there?

Yes agree, like I said a decent model but nothing special compared to what's coming out elsewhere if you know what I mean and that elsewhere are pushing the boundaries and I'm quite excited by it.

The Class 90 is the only Bachmann loco I own now and will probably get it professionally weathered to enhance it a bit more, not here to bash them but they just don't offer what I want anymore in my own little modern loco world.

• Funny 1

The class 90 has pushed boundaries in certain areas. The pan being controlled on DCC naturally being a first for RTR OO gauge in the UK. I do agree too with the idea of pushing the boundaries in the 'bland' era of operations. For me it is what I know best and fully welcome all developments in the modelling of that era.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone had any issues with the lights on the 90? I have all three but a stubborn RfD one where the pantograph merrily works but the lights don’t come on at either end. I’ve had the body off any can’t see anything obviously amiss. Would appreciate any advice anyone has. 

cheers 

On 01/01/2020 at 18:53, amwells said:

Has anyone had any issues with the lights on the 90? I have all three but a stubborn RfD one where the pantograph merrily works but the lights don’t come on at either end. I’ve had the body off any can’t see anything obviously amiss. Would appreciate any advice anyone has. 

cheers 

Have you checked the light switches on the roof?

On 28/12/2019 at 15:47, DBC90024 said:

Ixion

These may help, I have recently fitted sound into my DB 90 028.

Kat @johnsonstreetIEMD

Hi DBC90024,

Apologies for the late reply and many thanks for the help but I believe the two larger sheets are the 'DCC Information' page which comes with all Class 90 models - it was the sound functions sheet that was left out (only comes with BCC's DCC Sound fitted model of 90128, I believe) - another member posted images of that.

I presume the smaller sheet in your photos is the one that comes with the separate Bachmann decoder (36-569)?  I have a couple of these decoders and am hoping to fit them soon.

Out of curiosity, which DCC supplier's sound are you using?  I may consider fitting one of my other 90's with sound myself... the RfD one probably.

Thanks,

Ixion.

Edited by 97403_Ixion
Corrected last comment...

Hi,

No worries on the response time. It's just the standard zimo one as far as I am aware. Here and now with my layout still not complete (being built elsewhere), I'm not too bothered about that aspect... just having a sound fitted Bachmann 90 in DB Cargo, having waited a long time to get to this point.

Kat @johnsonstreetIEMD 

20191212_232959.jpg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

Hi,

No worries on the response time. It's just the standard zimo one as far as I am aware. Here and now with my layout still not complete (being built elsewhere), I'm not too bothered about that aspect... just having a sound fitted Bachmann 90 in DB Cargo, having waited a long time to get to this point.

Kat @johnsonstreetIEMD 

20191212_232959.jpg

I take it that the DB ones are resprays? Or was there some other releases I aren't aware of!?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

Hi,

Kat @johnsonstreetIEMD 

20191212_232959.jpg

I love the roof weathering, particularly on the blue one. Makes so much difference.

• Like 1

I recieved my 90 just after Christmas, but had to wait until the other day for the chip, cost of them etc etc etc.... I was a bit worried as I had read about bogie mounts cracking due to over tightening, but my example was OK. I was a bit disappointed with the look of the Flexicoils, as all my Hornby and Lima ACs have them mounted to the chassis, but not this model, which to my eye is a bit of a backward step as it looses some of the 3D look. But other than that, it looks fantastic. The next problem was removing the roof panel to fit a chip. The screws were exceptionally tight, as in I nearly rounded one off getting it out. Again, everything eventually came off and all was well. I ran the model in on my rolling road as per instructions, then checked all the CVs as per instructions, all going well. Put the loco on the layout to try it out, moves 10ft and a very audible pop followed by a cloud of smoke. The chip had blown up. Its marked the loco circuit board below it too. I need to borrow a DC controller and refit the blanking panel to see if the loco itself is damaged. The seller of the chip will be contacted tomorrow, but has anyone else had this issue? I know it wasnt the layout as I had another train going round at the same time and it was unaffected. The circuit breakers didnt trip, nothing to suggest it was anything other than a fault local to the loco or chip. So far, I'm not impressed, but I really want to be as I have 5 other Hornby class 90s I'd love to replace

9 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I presume it was the "proper" chip too?

Absolutly. There were so many scare stories about what will happen to it uness you use the correct chip I wont have it any other way

5 minutes ago, Marcyg said:

Absolutly. There were so many scare stories about what will happen to it uness you use the correct chip I wont have it any other way

I thought that would be the case. At least there shouldn't be any quips about the chip being replaced then, and the loco under warranty if everything is above board!

Not very good though nonetheless

• Like 1

Faults happen. It is disappointing when yours is the 1 affected though.

My 90's pan failed after a few days & it never sounded 'full' enough. I have not read anyone else on have an issue with either.

The important this was that both the shop I bought it from & Bachmann sorted the issue without any drama.

If the 90 still works fine on DC, then I would probably try a replacement decoder because that is the most likely to be at fault, easiest & cheapest to replace.

Decoders do sometimes have faults. Manufacturers & vendors accept this, so getting it replaced should not be an issue.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

One of my 90s had a fault which seemed related to DCC chip - all seemed OK then the pantograph stopped working before stopping altogether.  I tried another chip to no avail before returning to vendor (worked OK on DC).  They found it worked OK on DCC and were about to return back to me but tried again and got the fault I had... so replaced the model and chip and all is good.  I've also had a Bach 20 that worked fine on DC but then went berserk on DCC - further investigation found the motor and feed wire on one side were transposed which was an easy fix but could have caused some serious damage (the loco when fitted with a chip took off at full speed uncontrolled!).  I guess sometimes mistakes are made but key thing is I've always found the retailers to be very responsive in dealing with any issues (and on occasion involving Bachmann too who've always been great).

M

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I bought the sound fitted 90 on Poweehaul from hattons. When it arrived the pan was damaged but everything else was pergect. I returned it to hattons, who were very helpful, refunded me in full as they had none left in stock. I bought a replacement from rails of sheffield and it has worked perfectly since

2 minutes ago, Adamski94 said:

I bought the sound fitted 90 on Poweehaul from hattons. When it arrived the pan was damaged but everything else was pergect. I returned it to hattons, who were very helpful, refunded me in full as they had none left in stock. I bought a replacement from rails of sheffield and it has worked perfectly since

Was that factory sound, or dealer fitted sound? I just wasn't aware of a factory sound

• RMweb Premium
On 20/12/2019 at 17:20, Matabiau said:

Is it possible that yours is from the inital batch?

Surely there is now only one batch, or production run, of a model made in China. There would be increased costs setting up the production line, only to stop, make something else, and then set it up again to produce the rest of the run.

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Was that factory sound, or dealer fitted sound? I just wasn't aware of a factory sound

It was legomanbiffo sound from rails. Not too sure what the hattons sound was. I think you are right in there being no factory sound.

6 minutes ago, Adamski94 said:

It was legomanbiffo sound from rails. Not too sure what the hattons sound was. I think you are right in there being no factory sound.

Ah ok, I was wondering if the Hattons/Rails sound was a like for like too!

On 04/01/2020 at 20:15, MRDBLUE17 said:

That’s a nice line up of 90’s Kat. I like the DB livery. 

cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark... I have been exploring having 90 number three re-liveried into another one of the DBC/DBS/EWS liveries that they currently reside in - so the Freightliner Powerhaul 90042 wont be like that for very long

• Like 1