Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

10 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

There may be a few of you here also itching to see the new Freightliner Orange 90, 90044, well here goes...

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2020/01/freightliner-unveils-new-livery-for-class-90-locomotive.html

'Dubbed ‘The Tangerine Machine’, 90044 becomes the 90 to be in orange, following a number of Class 66 locomotives being re-liveried.'

The 90.  So that'll be unique then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Covkid said:

Never did get the opportunity when I used to travel around Scotland in the 1980s, but a deep fried Mars bar sounds fantastic in my view.

I tried one a couple of years ago when visiting ModelRail Scotland. It was like I imagined soft & the outside was melted.

It was not disgusting, but neither was it great. A waste of a Mars bar & I am not sure why anyone would try it & think it is a good idea!

Back to the 90: I expect Bachmann have some re-liveries up their sleeve & this time it should be a new batch so hopefully they will have had a chance to sort the over-tightened screw issue.

Question is, what livery(s) do we expect (not want) them to be?

I would expect Virgin coaches, except I don't think they have these in their range, unless they announce those too.

Maybe an EWS or earlier Freightliner green?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PM47079 said:

Freightliner grey would be a good choice if you got 90047/048 as the locos would span a good 22 years in that colour.

an EWS livery one again would be a good choice, a virgin trains and res one would be good

Freightliner Gray with the EWS Big Beasties' vinyls!

Ian_B

• Funny 1

19 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

On my PC there is definitely a change of colour in all three images behind the number. In the first two, the bodyside yellow is darker the cab, whereas in the bottom image its the other way round. The change seems to be too sharply defined to be a trick of the light.

Is that not where the flat bodysides meets the angle inwards at the cab? If you look at the middle picture the yellow colour change is just at the same point as the '9' of the loco number and the number looks distorted. Similarly in the bottom picture where its in line with last '4' digit and the yellow colour change is there too.

It might need looking at in person, but it does still just look like the light to me

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I tried one a couple of years ago when visiting ModelRail Scotland. It was like I imagined soft & the outside was melted.

It was not disgusting, but neither was it great. A waste of a Mars bar & I am not sure why anyone would try it & think it is a good idea!

Back to the 90: I expect Bachmann have some re-liveries up their sleeve & this time it should be a new batch so hopefully they will have had a chance to sort the over-tightened screw issue.

Question is, what livery(s) do we expect (not want) them to be?

I would expect Virgin coaches, except I don't think they have these in their range, unless they announce those too.

I would love to see a RES liveried one

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Is that not where the flat bodysides meets the angle inwards at the cab? If you look at the middle picture the yellow colour change is just at the same point as the '9' of the loco number and the number looks distorted. Similarly in the bottom picture where its in line with last '4' digit and the yellow colour change is there too.

It might need looking at in person, but it does still just look like the light to me

I think it is the contour rather than paint colour too, but the fact that there appears to be a difference will almost guarantee criticism against a manufacturer taking this livery on.

• Agree 2

Just now, Pete the Elaner said:

I think it is the contour rather than paint colour too, but the fact that there appears to be a difference will almost guarantee criticism against a manufacturer taking this livery on.

Yeah I think its probably a reflective yellow strip that the american railways seem to have more often which I'd guess would be as they have more open road/rail crossings there and as light hits it from different angles it appears to be changing colour.

Have we seen reflective elements done before on models? EWS Class 66, 67, 90 and 92 had them in yellow along the bottom

EWS 67027 at Edinburgh Winwick Junction, EWS 92001 'Victor Hugo' 6C73 (Bescot - Arpley - Carlisle) 31/05/06.

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Bachmann have announced the Mk2f in Virgin livery, I'm waiting on their release so I can model the "Pretendavoyager" rake of five Mk2f and DVT lash-up that ran on a Birmingham International to Manchester circuit in mid 2005 and 2006, push-pull operated by a hired in 90.  Examples in both Railfreight red diamond livery (90 027, only one digit to renumber plus an "Allerton TMD" nameplate to add on the existing Bachmann model!) and EWS livery were used, so I'd be happy with an EWS issue this time around.

There again, there are so many livery options on the Class 90 who knows what might be planned.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, GordonC said:

Is that not where the flat bodysides meets the angle inwards at the cab?

Indeed it is. This pic of a loco in the old livery that I previously linked to shows the two "colour changes" on the orange 90.

1744772822_Screenshot_20200123-2020472.png.5e69c92ba2de372a2bb205ff2ef4c167.png

The red line shows the tapered cab meeting the flat bodyside, the green highlighted dirty line shows the join between front and side of the cab. All the yellow is the same shade, same as on the orange 66, the bodyside stripe is same as the front. There is no reflective tape on the side.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Bachmann have announced the Mk2f in Virgin livery, I'm waiting on their release so I can model the "Pretendavoyager" rake of five Mk2f and DVT lash-up that ran on a Birmingham International to Manchester circuit in mid 2005 and 2006, push-pull operated by a hired in 90.  Examples in both Railfreight red diamond livery (90 027, only one digit to renumber plus an "Allerton TMD" nameplate to add on the existing Bachmann model!) and EWS livery were used, so I'd be happy with an EWS issue this time around.

There again, there are so many livery options on the Class 90 who knows what might be planned.

I just need the coaches and DVT now :)

929051A6-D89F-4A34-9AE7-E8219139C9A9.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Picked up an IC one at the Soton show and asked to check the bogies. As usual the lady from Cheltenham Models was more than happy to oblige and the first one the bogies were all over the place. Second one was perfect. Nice to see the first one put aside straight away even though they weren’t aware of the issue previously. 
I must have been buying off Cheltenham for nearly 40 years now as we used to break the journey frim the grandparents to spend our Xmas money as kids :) Still the same chap in charge and always friendly :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Picked up an IC one at the Soton show and asked to check the bogies. As usual the lady from Cheltenham Models was more than happy to oblige and the first one the bogies were all over the place. Second one was perfect. Nice to see the first one put aside straight away even though they weren’t aware of the issue previously. 
I must have been buying off Cheltenham for nearly 40 years now as we used to break the journey frim the grandparents to spend our Xmas money as kids :) Still the same chap in charge and always friendly :) 

Just wish I had a local model shop the last one we had closed 14 years ago. So now reliant on Mail order, which is why I have not brought a class 90 because of the problem that you have highlighted.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Have a day out for a show ;)  You could always ask for them to check it out, describe the issue, especially the smaller shops would probably be happy to check it out and put it in a larger box with bubble wrap to give it the best chance in the post. 

I’m lucky to have three fairly local but Cheltenham Models won on this for an attractive price on a model I’d been resisting for a while! 

10 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Taken a look and the cab ends look pretty shoddy, there's no crispness to the colours thus I wouldn't pay £280 for that...I'll wait until Bachmann release it.

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Taken a look and the cab ends look pretty shoddy, there's no crispness to the colours thus I wouldn't pay £280 for that...I'll wait until Bachmann release it.

Yeah I noticed it too, I shall wait as well methinks. I just put it out there as an option.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I agree. Besides if Bachmann release it as a standard model it will only be £153 and as a Limited Edition only likely around £180. 

So you will save considerably either way, for a factory finished model. That's what I'm doing now, waiting until models are produced by a manufacturer and not buying anymore resprays for a higher price and often lower quality. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, classy52 said:

There is only one respray I have looked at and thought wow I want that! It was Rainbow's Northern Railtrack 156

And at £275 or something it's not badly priced vs a normal one I don't think

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 26/01/2020 at 17:14, dave56 said:

Just wish I had a local model shop the last one we had closed 14 years ago. So now reliant on Mail order, which is why I have not brought a class 90 because of the problem that you have highlighted.

Try Derails i believe they test before dispatch if you want one. I am lucky having a local shop, Scoonie Hobbies,  I got 3 class 90s from them all good ones. It's a great model just a shame some have had issues with the bogies.

• Thanks 1