Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

I'm glad all you naysayers said nay lol... as this means I've got to snap up my favourite class member. I have just updated my space on here.... ''Newsflash ''90024 joins the pool of 90s at Johnson Street IEMD " and i have a sound chip waiting for it once it lands too..

20190919_191646.jpg.83e38d067f4c9b6e601be09c41483749.jpg20191218_200009.jpg.aa9ba8190f66cb66d5ee18c593b65860.jpg531920516_310120-DBMalcolmLogistics90024byOlivias-2.jpg.61d7cb73ad153a722186741997ce5b19.jpg531920516_310120-DBMalcolmLogistics90024byOlivias-2.jpg.61d7cb73ad153a722186741997ce5b19.jpg795458279_310120-DBMalcolmLogistics90024byOlivias-4.jpg.9bb4ce32dc409ae92f012ebd8e931a86.jpg

Edited by DBC90024
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon everyone

My version of a Bachmann RES liveried 90, 90019 Penny Black. Paint by Precision, nameplates by Shawplan,RES emblems by Fox and excellent numbers from Railtec. 47357 and 90027 also have the same source of plates and transfers

.IMG_20200209_135915577.jpg.845329b458c249ac9bf23ad9c7751fa0.jpgIMG_20200209_151630440.jpg.04309ab5e3b13f2608a556a61eec0dad.jpg

Unfortunately having painted the body, on picking up the chassis the dreaded loose bogie issue appeared! Knowing a replacement might be difficult with the retailer I thought I'd see if I could repair the bogie fixing

The existing arrangement is a small screw through the cast chassis block into the plastic of the bogie gearbox, where the failure occurs. I thought the best method of repair was to fit a inverted small countersunk screw (with additional epoxy glue fixative). There isn't much clearance above the gear-train , but enough

IMG_20200111_162838786.jpg.3fbf2ea8d2bac6eb915fa102ed53a38f.jpg 

Above the chassis there is a small washer and nut  holding firm but before fitting make sure the "inverted" U section above the gear tower is removed to allow the driveshaft to reconnect (making sure the brass top hat bearings are still present). This makes life much easierIMG_20200111_164256770.jpg.ed8a525ed9fc5fcb5b3f8c7fc33fe790.jpg

Since the pick-up wire broke these were replaced before refitting the bogie

Mike

• Like 3

Has anyone sent one back to their retailer for repair of the dreaded bogie droop?  Just wondering what the turn round time is?

I sent one back to Cheltenham Model Centre 6 weeks ago for repair as they didn't have another RfD one.  Heard nothing since.

I'm guessing Bachmann repairs department are probably flat out fixing these locos.  Is it too soon to start chasing them up?  Well I'll give them a ring tomorrow anyway, but I'd be interested to hear other members experiences.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Guest Half-full
4 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

What exactly is the problem, as in how should I be able to tell if mine is affected?

There are full details in the thread but to sum it up it appears that the bogies are screwed on too tight at the factory which breaks the bogie/chassis fixing mount causing the bogies to droop dramatically at the nose ends when picked up.

33 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

What exactly is the problem, as in how should I be able to tell if mine is affected?

I don't think my 90 has been off the rails since I bought it!

See my photos as an example of the problem:

I'd keep yours firmly on the rails if I were you!  It seems like the slightest knock can fracture the bogie mounts on some models.  Most seemed to happen in normal courier transit.  Now wish I'd bought mine in person from a shop or at an exhibition to  be able to check it first. 

Edited by cravensdmufan
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile I suffered a more “routine” AC electric issue, in moving it between boxes last week a wire caught the pantograph and took the arm off.

:angry:

I have asked Bachmann spares about spares.. if the bogie issue is all what its played up to be, I assume a pantograph maybe around to retrieve. Failing that i’ll glue it down and sell the servo, ive no knitting on my layout.

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, mikeford2002uk said:

Afternoon everyone

My version of a Bachmann RES liveried 90, 90019 Penny Black. Paint by Precision, nameplates by Shawplan,RES emblems by Fox and excellent numbers from Railtec. 47357 and 90027 also have the same source of plates and transfers

.IMG_20200209_135915577.jpg.845329b458c249ac9bf23ad9c7751fa0.jpgIMG_20200209_151630440.jpg.04309ab5e3b13f2608a556a61eec0dad.jpg

Unfortunately having painted the body, on picking up the chassis the dreaded loose bogie issue appeared! Knowing a replacement might be difficult with the retailer I thought I'd see if I could repair the bogie fixing

The existing arrangement is a small screw through the cast chassis block into the plastic of the bogie gearbox, where the failure occurs. I thought the best method of repair was to fit a inverted small countersunk screw (with additional epoxy glue fixative). There isn't much clearance above the gear-train , but enough

IMG_20200111_162838786.jpg.3fbf2ea8d2bac6eb915fa102ed53a38f.jpg 

Above the chassis there is a small washer and nut  holding firm but before fitting make sure the "inverted" U section above the gear tower is removed to allow the driveshaft to reconnect (making sure the brass top hat bearings are still present). This makes life much easierIMG_20200111_164256770.jpg.ed8a525ed9fc5fcb5b3f8c7fc33fe790.jpg

Since the pick-up wire broke these were replaced before refitting the bogie

Mike

Superb repaint on 19 Mike. It really looks the business.

Regarding the bogie issue, I assume the loco was OK when you purchased it and that it fractured subsequently?

If so, it goes to highlight how vulnerable they are to the slightest knock (which may presumably become even more of an issue as the loco gets older and the plastics harden and get more brittle).

I wonder if it would be prudent for owners to slightly loosen the bogie screws to lessen the chance of future fractures, thereby avoiding the hassle of having to make their own repairs after the manufacturer's warranty has expired.

Just a thought.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Rewording
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, mikeford2002uk said:

My version of a Bachmann RES liveried 90, 90019 Penny Black. Paint by Precision, nameplates by Shawplan,RES emblems by Fox and excellent numbers from Railtec. 47357 and 90027 also have the same source of plates and transfers. 

Nice job, but I think the corner pillars on 90027 should be black, not yellow. 

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Superb repaint on 19 Mike. It really looks the business.

Regarding the bogie issue, I assume the loco was OK when you purchased it and that it fractured subsequently?

If so, it goes to highlight how vulnerable they are to the slightest knock (which may presumably become even more of an issue as the loco gets older and the plastics harden and get more brittle).

I wonder if it would be prudent for owners to slightly loosen the bogie screws to lessen the chance of future fractures, thereby avoiding the hassle of having to make their own repairs after the manufacturer's warranty has expired.

Just a thought.

I would like to think Bachmann have got an easy fix by producing more of these bogies in harder plastic by the hundred load and selling he spares for a reasonable price

6 minutes ago, letterspider said:

I would like to think Bachmann have got an easy fix by producing more of these bogies in harder plastic by the hundred load and selling he spares for a reasonable price

Wouldn't harder plastic make it worse, because it would be more brittle too?

It was commented earlier that Bachmann have already identified the issue as the screws being overtightened. It seems their answer would therefore be to ensure they are less tight & maybe also to add a little thread lock during assembly.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It was commented earlier that Bachmann have already identified the issue as the screws being overtightened. It seems their answer would therefore be to ensure they are less tight & maybe also to add a little thread lock during assembly.

And maybe they should also improve the internal packing - even a piece of foam under each bogie would stop them jiggling about in transit.

• Agree 1

It is easy to overtighten screws and this could also occur by the customer

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I agree but certainly a different formulation is needed or the lengthier and more expensive alternative - newly designed moulds with a thicker seat for the screw.

In either case I hope the problem is solved as I am anticipating the release of new liveries this year and at this sort of price (or maybe even higher) it is really discouraging. I am also worried about my current model because it looks like every Class 90 bogie is going to fail at some point - it is simply a matter of time.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, letterspider said:

it looks like every Class 90 bogie is going to fail at some point - it is simply a matter of time.

That's a big assumption based purely on speculation.

Who knows why the issue occurred?

It could have been attributed to 1 person out of 100 people performing tightening these by hand...or even someone having a bad morning, but after lunch they were fine.

Or maybe it was an electric driver set wrong which was later corrected.

Maybe someone within the factory knows? Maybe nobody does.

17 minutes ago, letterspider said:

I am also worried about my current model because it looks like every Class 90 bogie is going to fail at some point - it is simply a matter of time.

Yes, I am worried about that as well.  Particularly as and when they do fail the loco will probably be out of warranty.  Those sort of things usually happen to me within a few weeks of the expiry of a guarantee!  

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Yes, I am worried about that as well.  Particularly as and when they do fail the loco will probably be out of warranty.  Those sort of things usually happen to me within a few weeks of the expiry of a guarantee!  

Dont worry, Mazak did far worse 10 years ago, we still survived.

Spares show up on ebay.

As I said about my 90.. bogies are fine.. pantograph isnt, if I dont get a pantograph, somewhere in decades to come it will end up parted out.

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 15:57, cravensdmufan said:

Has anyone sent one back to their retailer for repair of the dreaded bogie droop?  Just wondering what the turn round time is?

I sent one back to Cheltenham Model Centre 6 weeks ago for repair as they didn't have another RfD one.  Heard nothing since.

I'm guessing Bachmann repairs department are probably flat out fixing these locos.  Is it too soon to start chasing them up?  Well I'll give them a ring tomorrow anyway, but I'd be interested to hear other members experiences.

In case anyone else is awaiting for repairs from Bachmann.

Just had an update from Cheltenham Model Centre regarding my Class 90 that was returned 7 weeks ago.  Apparently Bachmann have been closed for stock taking for 3 weeks and they are looking at it now.  So hopefully I should get it back soon.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

If and when Bachmann do a second batch of Class 90’s, I’d like to see EWS and DBC liveried versions as I used to see them until recently at Peterborough.  Just a personal preference :P:P

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I was trying to work out the combination of liveries the Class 90’s have worn over the years.

InterCity

Mainline

RfD with sectorisation logo

RfD with Railfreight Distribution 

The DB, SNCF, SNCB and RfD specials

Freightliner red flash

Freightliner green livery

Freightliner Powerhaul

Freightliner G&W

RES

GNER

Virgin Trains

EWS

EWS Malcolm livery

EWS Scotrail Sleeper

DB Schenker 

DBC

I think I’ve covered most of the liveries but I expect I’ve missed the odd one out. It certainly gives Bachmann a huge variety of choices in livery for a class that was just 50 strong.

Edited by jools1959

3 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I was trying to work out the combination of liveries the Class 90’s have worn over the years.

InterCity

Mainline

RfD with sectorisation logo

RfD with Railfreight Distribution 

The DB, SNCF, SNCB and RfD specials

Freightliner red flash

Freightliner green livery

Freightliner Powerhaul

Freightliner G&W

RES

GNER

Virgin Trains

EWS

EWS Malcolm livery

EWS Scotrail Sleeper

DB Schenker 

DBC

I think I’ve covered most of the liveries but I expect I’ve missed the odd one out. It certainly gives Bachmann a huge variety of choices in livery for a class that was just 50 strong.

There is a comprehensive discussion starting back on page 54. I think you've got the main ones but there are also the slight variations.

I once had the crazy idea about 20 years ago of modelling all 50 locos as I was about a third of the way there, but didn't consider a better RTR loco being released or one loco carrying more than one unique livery, such as 90024 in GNER and Malcolm.

• Like 1