Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I think I’ve covered most of the liveries but I expect I’ve missed the odd one out. It certainly gives Bachmann a huge variety of choices in livery for a class that was just 50 strong.

As per Tom’s link, you’re missing all of the Greater Anglia variants, plus the DRS and DRS blue with DB logos (which is missing from the link, I think only carried by 034).

Basically... there are loads. As an N gauge modeller I’m very jealous!

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, njee20 said:

As per Tom’s link, you’re missing all of the Greater Anglia variants, plus the DRS and DRS blue with DB logos (which is missing from the link, I think only carried by 034).

Basically... there are loads. As an N gauge modeller I’m very jealous!

I forgot the National Express Greater Anglia and Greater Anglia liveries but then it was 3am and I couldn’t sleep :D.

Guest Half-full
46 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

This has just appeared on my Twitter feed, looks like the bodyside stripe is yellow rather than orange.https://twitter.com/railcamlive/status/1229811036917813249?s=20

:offtopic:Tenuous link seeing as Class 90's have been nicknamed 'Skodas' in the past...

My first car, was a Skoda 110/Estelle, which was black with a broad yellow stripe, all lovingly hand painted (not by me!)

Loved that car, 10 years old when I got it in 86, had it until 92, it never once failed to start, broke down nor cost me a penny more than tax/MOT/insurance.  Traded it in for a nearly new Orion, which was a heap of the steaming brown stuff - lasted 6 months until it was declared uneconomical to repair by the garage! (Got my money back though!)

Edited by Half-full

On 18/02/2020 at 22:39, classy52 said:

You see I knew it!...so PM47079 how many Class 47's do you have :read:

Ok I have counted 2 Hornby 75 Lima 28 renumbered/resprayed Lima 16 Heljan including 2 respray 32 Bachmann an 10 vitrains. When you split it like that doesn't sound so bad for 25 + years

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PM47079 said:

Ok I have counted 2 Hornby 75 Lima 28 renumbered/resprayed Lima 16 Heljan including 2 respray 32 Bachmann an 10 vitrains. When you split it like that doesn't sound so bad for 25 + years

Gosh... that puts me with my 77 class 47’s into the shade.

• Like 1

In a bid to bring the discussion back to the Bachmann Class 90, for which modellers of all things electric have been waiting for this piece of modelling revolution, a few days ago, i took time out to photograph my growing stable of DB 90s, having added 90024 to 90028 and 90034. I still have a fourth Freightliner Powerhaul 90 (042) which will likely become a fourth DB 90, probably 90037 in ex-EWS DB ''Spirit of Dagenham''. 2020 is hopefully going to be the year that my layout gets finished and is back at my place to actually use. My Bachmann 90 fleet has been conceived and given birth to triplets without their cradles so to speak, with Johnson Street IEMD having the finishing touches done to it elsewhere. 

Malcolm 90024, DB 90028 and DB 90034 - 1.jpg

Malcolm 90024, DB 90028 and DB 90034 - 2.jpg

• Like 7

Following the recent repaints that we have seen, DB, not to be left behind, have got their skates on ahead of their operations support for Grand Central out of Blackpool North to London Euston with the below... Its expected that 90020, 90021, 90029 and 90039 will follow 90026 into what I'm calling Bumblebee livery. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing them come through Stafford. I wasn't planning to add another DB 90 to my stable so soon, but boy!! its a gorgeous new livery for the 90 and a DB90 at that. I can see these being sent to Johnson Street IEMD in the not distant future for their routine maintenance.

(Thank you to British Rail 1980s and 1990s on flickr for letting me link to the below picture)

90026 0Z69 Crewe (2)

Edited by DBC90024
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/12/2019 at 10:52, cravensdmufan said:

Thought I'd delay purchasing my Class 90s in the hope that shop stock would have been checked by now.

Ordered two Class 90s online which arrived by DHL this morning.

I'd asked the retailer to inspect the locos prior to dispatch but despite that and good packing, one loco has arrived with both bogies loose and hanging down and also one buffer broken off. (The other loco seems OK and runs nicely).

I would like to have visited a shop to inspect and collect personally but unfortunately due to family illness I am unable to get to a retailer at this time.

Just been unlucky with this one I guess.

PICT0149.JPG

PICT0151.JPG

PICT0152.JPG

The ongoing saga of my Class 90:

The good news - this morning I finally received my loco back from Bachmann's service department via Cheltenham Model Centre  today after a wait of 3 months!

The bad news - the loco has come back with exactly the same faults!  Both bogies hanging loose and one broken buffer.  It's almost as if they didn't even look at it, yet there was a repair schedule included in the box. Unbelievable!

I've had enough now.  Cheltenham Model Centre are arranging a returns label (again) and this time I've asked for a refund to my credit card.  I feel sorry for CMC that they have had all this hassle,  Retailers have a difficult time enough as it is,

Shame on Bachmann for putting out these locos and not getting to grips with the proper repair of them.

My advice to those thinking of buying one - go to a model shop and inspect before you purchase.  These locos are too easily damaged in the postal system.

Here's my "repaired" loco when I removed it from the box this morning:

IMG_20200317_111629.jpg

IMG_20200317_111641.jpg

IMG_20200317_112124.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I had the same issue sent to Bachmann received back with same fault and then it came back again repaired. To be fair Bachmann service centre were mortified and offered to send me the video of the loco repaired and running on the service track prior to despatch back to me. Been fine ever since. Definitely a design problem somewhere.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Markwj said:

I had the same issue sent to Bachmann received back with same fault and then it came back again repaired. To be fair Bachmann service centre were mortified and offered to send me the video of the loco repaired and running on the service track prior to despatch back to me. Been fine ever since. Definitely a design problem somewhere.

That's interesting Mark.  Did you send it back direct to Bachmann or through the retailer?

2 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Direct to Bachmann.

I wonder why Bachmann didn't put any extra padding under the bogies before returning the loco to me?

A piece of foam or even folded up sheet of kitchen roll would stop the bogies jiggling around inside the plastic tray. And as for the broken buffer, surely a circle of cardboard would protect them?

I know I have probably been unlucky with my loco - but I feel Bachmann should address the issue properly and pack them better.

They are aware of the problem - see Andy's post:

16 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Shame on Bachmann for putting out these locos and not getting to grips with the proper repair of them.

Bachmann really tried to push standards with this model. It was the first to offer a both a working pantograph & switchable lighting (both day/night & the ability to switch off lights at 1 end).

The collector's club edition was too limited to have a batch of its own. This would have been produced along with the initial batch of InterCity, Railfreight & Freightliner Powerhaul versions. The whole lot would have all cleared the factory long before any arrived in the UK.

If Bachmann were aware of any issues, they would have done something before they were made.

It is impossible for Bachmann to address any production issues after the models had left.

Manufacturing issues are not limited to model railway items either. How often do we hear of a car recall because the manufacturers made a mis-judgment on the life of a component?

They have now had a chance to make some changes, so let's hope this happens before the next batch is produced, whatever these are & whenever they will be?

The repair failure is poor though. To receive a model in the same condition is not good. These  should have been obvious faults, but did you actually list them?

One of my 90s had a faulty speaker & the pantograph had stopped working. I made a note of these describing the faults & took it back to my retailer who dealt with it on my behalf. Bachmann were not legally obliged to deal directly with you, although it is good PR to do so.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The repair failure is poor though. To receive a model in the same condition is not good. These  should have been obvious faults, but did you actually list them?

One of my 90s had a faulty speaker & the pantograph had stopped working. I made a note of these describing the faults & took it back to my retailer who dealt with it on my behalf. Bachmann were not legally obliged to deal directly with you, although it is good PR to do so.

Not only did I list the faults but I photographed and emailed them - and I followed correct procedure and returned it to the retailer.

To get it back again after 3 months with exactly the same problems is frustrating. It's not the model I am disappointed with - far from it.  It's a terrific looking loco with good working features.

Lack of care with packaging seems to be the issue with these.  Obviously the over tightening of the bogie screws, as originally suggested, can't be the problem because on my repaired one they are again hanging loose.

Oh well, when compared with what's going on in the world at present it's not that important actually! 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1