Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

49 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Yes Tom, yours sounds good.  Hold the loco up to eye and if the bogies hang normally it's OK.

Now that I have two 90s that are perfect, I will keep them on the track as much as possible as I am mindful that these particular locos are much more fragile than most.  So constantly un-boxing and re-boxing could easily knock off delicate parts off or worse still fracture the bogie mounting..

Edit: In fact I may make a little shelf on which to keep them when they are not on the layout.

Thanks, yes they are wobbly but they don't droop I don't think. I must have got lucky although to be honest I think the conditions mine is kept in is probably ideal. I think this is the first time it has been lifted off track since December!

• Like 1

On 26/03/2020 at 22:21, TomScrut said:

Thanks, yes they are wobbly but they don't droop I don't think. I must have got lucky although to be honest I think the conditions mine is kept in is probably ideal. I think this is the first time it has been lifted off track since December!

Hi Tom, mine (90 005) is the same, I have just taken it out of the box - there is a slight bit of ‘travel’ in the bogie - perhaps 3mm. There must have also been a separate detachable part (possibly a lifting point) which is missing from one corner of that bogie. There was nothing that I could see in the box (I had it chipped) so presume this must’ve fallen out during fitting.

1 hour ago, Jim76 said:

Hi Tom, mine (90 005) is the same, I have just taken it out of the box - there is a slight bit of ‘travel’ in the bogie - perhaps 3mm. There must have also been a separate detachable part (possibly a lifting point) which is missing from one corner of that bogie. There was nothing that I could see in the box (I had it chipped) so presume this must’ve fallen out during fitting.

Jim, yours sounds "normal"!  3mm is about what both my locos move. As long as the bogies stay level when you hold the loco up.

It's when one of the bogies really drops down at one end - that's when the mount has fractured; then back to Bachmann (via your dealer) for repair.  Hopefully yours will remain OK.

• Agree 1

I suppose that most posting will be those who've had problems, particularly considering recent topics raised.

Perhaps it requires a bit of perspective, and would be nice to hear from those having received a '90' reaching all expectations.

Al.

13 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I suppose that most posting will be those who've had problems, particularly considering recent topics raised.

Perhaps it requires a bit of perspective, and would be nice to hear from those having received a '90' reaching all expectations.

Al.

Oddly enough I have been asking people on FB about their Hattons 66s as most will probably be fine and people just stay quiet and get on with using them.

My 90 is fine I have concluded. TBH it is arguably the best loco I have at the moment (either that or one of my Dapol 68s). I have 4 pairs of Realtrack FLAs, weighed down with either 50g or 100g in each container (to stop the wobble, can't remember which amount), and in combination with the small wheels they are difficult to pull but this does with ease.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

My 90 is fine I have concluded. TBH it is arguably the best loco I have at the moment (either that or one of my Dapol 68s).

To be honest I’d have to agree with you, the 90 is the best model I’ve bought. I’ve got all 4 of the releases so far and have had the bogie issue on 2. They were dealt with and repaired by Bachmann in a rapid fashion so no complaints from me.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chris37422 said:

To be honest I’d have to agree with you, the 90 is the best model I’ve bought. I’ve got all 4 of the releases so far and have had the bogie issue on 2. They were dealt with and repaired by Bachmann in a rapid fashion so no complaints from me.

I will certainly have another if they do something up to date, DB, GC or new FL etc.

I also like how it doesn't seem to have any silly functional design flaws. My Hornby 60, a model that is renowned for how good it is, annoys the hell out of me with the front snowplough/air dam falling off all the time

Edited by TomScrut

5 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Al.

My two do, I am very pleased with them indeed.

• RMweb Gold

Thought struck me on these,

with the servo motor being operated by a special DCC chip, how do DC buyers know if their pantograph works ?

is there a way to test (aside of buying the chip just to test it) or is it just storing up an issue for the future ?

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Thought struck me on these,

with the servo motor being operated by a special DCC chip, how do DC buyers know if their pantograph works ?

is there a way to test (aside of buying the chip just to test it) or is it just storing up an issue for the future ?

I don't think there is a way to tell.

One of mine also had a dodgy speaker. You could only determine that with a sound decoder.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2020 at 22:08, Markwj said:

Despite the issues I had with my first 2 I really like the collectors club version I picked up at Warley. No faults whatsoever and a constant performer on the layout.

Likewise, I have the Collectors Club class 90 Sound and it is a very good runner no faults at all.

Today I tool my Bachmann chip out and put a LokPilot 5 inside. I programmed it beforehand using the LokSound settings in the instructions. Pantograph works absolutely fine as could be expected.

I wanted to try the ESU as I am more familiar with their other settings and therefore thought it would suit me better.

Just thought I would share this given this is another servo enabled chip on the market now.

Also, does anybody know if resetting the Bachman 36-569 chip loses the servo settings? I'll probably be putting it on Ebay but didnt want it to have screwed up!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Also, does anybody know if resetting the Bachman 36-569 chip loses the servo settings?

Yes it does - I thought I had blown the chip, so I did a CV8 to 8.

The pantograph servo still didn't operate.  So I checked the CVs against the default settings on the small card that's supplied with the decoder.

I had to change CV181 back to 6.  All was OK after that.  It had reset itself to 0, hence pantograph didn't work.  Phew!  

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Yes it does - I thought I had blown the chip, so I did a CV8 to 8.

The pantograph servo still didn't operate.  So I checked the CVs against the default settings on the small card that's supplied with the decoder.

I had to change CV181 back to 6.  All was OK after that.  It had reset itself to 0, hence pantograph didn't work.  Phew!  

Thanks, is it actually just a 634C/D with some custom CV settings on? I'd have thought it was the same chip with different defaults programmed into the firmware! I did try to reset mine but it wouldn't accept CV8 = 8 whilst in the loco, I have heard the circuit board prevents some programming though? I wont try resetting it in another loco. I think all I have altered are the speed settings and CV1

Edited by TomScrut

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Today I tool my Bachmann chip out and put a LokPilot 5 inside. I programmed it beforehand using the LokSound settings in the instructions. Pantograph works absolutely fine as could be expected.

I wanted to try the ESU as I am more familiar with their other settings and therefore thought it would suit me better.

Just thought I would share this given this is another servo enabled chip on the market now.

Also, does anybody know if resetting the Bachman 36-569 chip loses the servo settings? I'll probably be putting it on Ebay but didnt want it to have screwed up!

Hey, saw your post and wondered if you go ahead with the ebay thing, what you might be looking for, for the sound chip ? Kind Regards, Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

On 11/04/2020 at 19:48, Southwich said:

Quick progress shots of my 90024 in GNER blue - gloss varnished and ready for transfers. 

BDA56677-024C-41DA-8566-F385970E32A0.jpeg.979d6157b0e8eba9ec13ef192a78ee13.jpeg

A superb model from Bachmann! 

kind regards,

Will

Great work there Will with 90024 and great picture ahead of its GNER-ing, 90024 has had a good life in colour, hasnt she? what with the earlier public sector operation, then GNER, First Scotrail and then more recently Malcolm Rail. It's just a bit of shame that she isn't well at the moment at Crewe IEMD, hopefully, they'll get to the bottom of it soon.

18 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Great work there Will with 90024 and great picture ahead of its GNER-ing, 90024 has had a good life in colour, hasnt she? what with the earlier public sector operation, then GNER, First Scotrail and then more recently Malcolm Rail. It's just a bit of shame that she isn't well at the moment at Crewe IEMD, hopefully, they'll get to the bottom of it soon.

Indeed Kat - thanks for the kind words. And a quick few shots of it “post GNER-ing”. Needs some touch ups and finishing when the OHLE stickers arrive. 

81E32448-8308-4F47-8F8B-FFF215CD0028.jpeg.9758f3742d6827a695d8216ae9bdbcd4.jpeg

2B6BCD5A-B432-4A98-856F-4D294C6B6850.jpeg.84e0463dd5517933d829e426bc7789dd.jpeg182885A9-F69D-4C3C-8AFC-3A3009461AE9.jpeg.dbaff417a764e88b6194c76318e7f358.jpeg

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Hey, saw your post and wondered if you go ahead with the ebay thing, what you might be looking for, for the sound chip ? Kind Regards, Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

Its not sound it is just the Bachmann branded Zimo, 36-569

• Like 1

Perhaps I’m one of the lucky ones as well.

My Freightliner and Collectors Club Model both arrived safe and sound.

And very impressed with both of them, lovely models.

In terms of the major faults although vIsual checks at final inspection should pick up some defects it may have been that the bogie issue has materialised during transit as a stress fracture following the over tightening of the screw.

I  

77789636-2FB6-4E0C-91D6-B29A8BE726A4.jpeg

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Like 1

My 90005 arrived yesterday - a lovely model but one of the buffers was detached and had broken into two pieces - there  was a spring loose in the box as well. I spoke to Rails who emailed me a return label - they said if they cannot fix it they will send it back to Bachmann - the bogies appeared fine.

On 14/04/2020 at 17:25, TomScrut said:

I hope they do another one soon!

I agree. It would be nice to see some new liveries soon. It would be a 2nd production run, so a chance to address some issues experienced with the initial run.

I think many of us have our 'wanted' liveries. Even though it is not for me, I think Virgin would be a popular one.

Ones I think would be popular which were normal "non celeb" liveries:

RES parcels

Virgin

DB red

EWS

G&W FL

GC

But I think a Malcolm, DRS or GNER would probably sell well too! If they did two of the above and one of the celebs I think it would be a good mix.

There are a good variety of liveries for these locos really, although this was covered a while ago I think.