Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

1 hour ago, martin_l_jones said:

It's a pity they don't do a twin pack like Dapol with one powered and one dummy, would be great double heading on a container train and hopefully cheaper than two powered locos......

Screenshot_20200416-175857_Flickr.jpg

Although I aren't sure how much the drivetrain actually would cost to be honest, compared to the inconvenience to have dummy cars in a niche pack (although both DB/EWS and FL double head intermodals)

In light of recent events I think we shouldnt be too expecting of seeing the second wave of 90s for sometime. 

Certainly not until the back end of 2021 or maybe even 2022.

In the mean time there are always experts in the field of reliverying and renumbering, several of whom who can be found on here.

There are lots one can do with the first trio of 90s if repainting is too drastic or even expensive for you

IC Swallow 90's can be renumbered into various different numbers up to 90015 in the Swallow livery for those modelling Early 90s up to the beginning of Privatisation pre-2003 and anyone really on the ball, could also re-number 90005 into 90001 and 90002 for they are likely to be reliveried into IC-Swallow under its brand new owners as of a week or so ago now owned by Locomotive Services in Crewe. They have also recently acquired 86401 and 87002 following their end of use on the Sleeper contract and both of these are now into Swallow-IC under LSL, so Era-11.

The Railfreight Distribution liveried 90 has seen various reincarnations of this exact livery, so, whether its a simple re-number into one of the RfD stabemates to 90037. 

Then, if you wanted something slightly more different, then have a look at some of the different takes on early Freightliner Grey, some of which were simply grey without the red triangle style which were the face of Freightliner, before Green with yellow cabs, before Powerhaul and long before Orange and black G&W.  Should you take this approach, there are other Freightliner locos in these liveries to dovetail your collection, ie Hornby did a grey freightliner Class 47 and there are also the 90s long term electric sibling, the Class 86, also starting life in Grey, then Green and more recently Powerhaul - these can be found in Hornby and Heljan forms.

Finally, there are the Powerhaul 90's, now Bachmann have started with 90042, but there are several other numbered 90's in Powerhaul, 043, 045 and 049 and Powerhaul 90s do more than just drag container freight, until fairly recently, they were working on back-up to the Caledonian Sleeper services.

20-04-2020 Update 

I thought i had missed this off, soooo DB still have one or two RfD 90s in their long term storage pool, if you look at the long term stored examples, pictures of which can be found of 90025 or 90027 both of which are still in RfD...(amongst others)  and could be given a serious dulling down, weathering and renumbering from the standard RfD 90037. 90030 which is one of those still left in EWS in the long term storage pool and was expected to be returned to traffic this year, may now be next year would make a good project when Bachmann get round to doing an EWS one.

Kat @ johnsonstreetIEMD

Edited by DBC90024
i missed something
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DBC90024 said:

I think we shouldnt be too expecting of seeing the second wave of 90s for sometime. 

I don't think so either, first run still in stock all over the place.

Although I do sometimes wonder about the MOQs on the liveries within batches. If they had done 6 liveries but half as many of each I think they'd probably have gone. I'd probably have had a 2nd if there was another current livery. And a lot of the people who have IC and/or RFD would probably go for a RES one too.

The more liveries done the wider the range of interest, higher the chance of multiple purchases and if the batch itself doesn't have to get bigger the faster they will probably sell.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I don't think so either, first run still in stock all over the place.

Although I do sometimes wonder about the MOQs on the liveries within batches. If they had done 6 liveries but half as many of each I think they'd probably have gone. I'd probably have had a 2nd if there was another current livery. And a lot of the people who have IC and/or RFD would probably go for a RES one too.

The more liveries done the wider the range of interest, higher the chance of multiple purchases and if the batch itself doesn't have to get bigger the faster they will probably sell.

...and having said that the Freightliner livery is only applicable between 2014 and mid-2015 which was disappointing giving you a relatively small modeling period before Freightliner dressed it up with the extra decals.

Yes I know you can do that yourself post purchase but that isn't the point, Bachmann should have released it bang up to date and had 5 years to do it.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Freightliner livery is only applicable between 2014 and mid-2015

Where are the extra decals? I have just been looking at a pic of it from last week and can't see anything any different!

But yes I sort of agree with you, like how Hattons have done with the Biffa 66. On the other hand I do understand why Accurascale are keeping 92032 as it was rather than changing to as is (even though being a member of IMechE I'd have liked it but will probably get 92020 instead now)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Where are the extra decals? I have just been looking at a pic of it from last week and can't see anything any different!

But yes I sort of agree with you, like how Hattons have done with the Biffa 66. On the other hand I do understand why Accurascale are keeping 92032 as it was rather than changing to as is (even though being a member of IMechE I'd have liked it but will probably get 92020 instead now)

They added some extra wording under the various Freightliner logos, saying. “a Gennessey & Wyoming company”, and some ISO complaint markings next to the cab doors.

I dont see why “Bachmann should have released it bang up to date”, a point in time is a point in time, every model ever released aims to replicate a point in time, just because modern image isnt “as I saw it this morning” doesnt mean its bad... its now historical.

its a good job you weren't around in the 1990’s, 33008, 47145 had a livery mod almost every month... even Limas every 2 week releases couldn't keep up !

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

They added some extra wording under the various Freightliner logos, saying. “a Gennessey & Wyoming company”

4E2B5448-C615-4944-B578-1F7898545BFC.jpeg.5a771be1bd9445c87416339a66abf7de.jpeg

and some health motivator statements  next to the cab doors saying “Zero injuries our goal every day”.
CCFC8122-E38E-4827-B3AB-023ADCF850AD.jpeg.cbb5b195854611622d5413df9c13f4f7.jpeg

I dont see why “Bachmann should have released it bang up to date”, a point in time is a point in time, every model ever released aims to replicate a point in time, just because modern image isnt “as I saw it this morning” doesnt mean its bad... its now historical.

its a good job you weren't around in the 1990’s, 33008, 47145 had a livery mod almost every month... even Limas every 2 week releases couldn't keep up !

0C427EAD-F725-44E3-A4DD-04DD28F41A6E.jpeg

a few quid on transfers during lockdown will solve your problems,

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

The main point (in the case of this 90) is if it's had a livery for 18 months then tweaked it and then it's been like that for about 5 years, seems a bit daft doing the 18 month version! If they had only altered it a year ago I'd say the older version made more sense.

There will be a lot more people focusing on 2015-2020 (and until it gets reliveried) than 2014-2015!

I aren't bothered really. I buy present day stuff where possible but compromise if it's something close enough. I won't be selling my 90 and I aren't bothered about the decals added either really!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Reading through the thread and comments/suggestions on liveries, it really is quite amazing how many schemes the relatively small class has carried over the years.

For me personally, I'd like the Rail Express Systems and the "common user" executive/ IC mainline liveries at some stage (with apologies to post privatisation modellers!).

But I guess more modern would probably sell better.

• Like 2

Guest Half-full
7 hours ago, classy52 said:

...and having said that the Freightliner livery is only applicable between 2014 and mid-2015 which was disappointing giving you a relatively small modeling period before Freightliner dressed it up with the extra decals.

Yes I know you can do that yourself post purchase but that isn't the point, Bachmann should have released it bang up to date and had 5 years to do it.

They could have released it 'bang up to date' and the prototype could have changed whilst the model was on the ship.  Then it wouldnt be bang up to date.

Any model that is released is only accurate for a couple of days after painting and release into traffic.  

Artwork is agreed a long time in advance, and any changes require artwork sample models, therefore delaying the release.

Aftermarket decal manufacturers are there for a reason.

Edited by Half-full

50 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

more modern would probably sell better.

Not sure really, at least IC Swallow/mainline, RES and RFD got about all over on all sorts of work IIRC. Since privatisation they seem to be more focused on what they do, with the only ones seeming to do more than one thing are the FL ones being on CS services for a while and DB/EWS on ECML cover on top of their usual intermodal stuff.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

They added some extra wording under the various Freightliner logos, saying. “a Gennessey & Wyoming company”, and some ISO complaint markings next to the cab doors.

Don't forget the warning flashes on the cab fronts so yeah a few things were left off and too be honest disagree with the 'point in time' statement in this case as the modeled loco only covered less than 18 months as opposed to over 5 years if they had bothered to add the decals...like I said they had 5 years to think about it.

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

The main point (in the case of this 90) is if it's had a livery for 18 months then tweaked it and then it's been like that for about 5 years, seems a bit daft doing the 18 month version! If they had only altered it a year ago I'd say the older version made more sense.

There will be a lot more people focusing on 2015-2020 (and until it gets reliveried) than 2014-2015!

Exactly!

2 hours ago, Half-full said:

They could have released it 'bang up to date' and the prototype could have changed whilst the model was on the ship.  Then it wouldnt be bang up to date.

Any model that is released is only accurate for a couple of days after painting and release into traffic.  

Artwork is agreed a long time in advance, and any changes require artwork sample models, therefore delaying the release.

Aftermarket decal manufacturers are there for a reason.

Keep it within this context please, from announcement to release it was 5 years therefore a bit bizarre from Bachmann to model the 2014 prototype livery which was updated soon after and not the one from 2015.

• Like 1

Guest Half-full
3 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Keep it within this context please, from announcement to release it was 5 years therefore a bit bizarre from Bachmann to model the 2014 prototype livery which was updated soon after and not the one from 2015.

What I have said is keeping it within context

Instead of bleating about Bachmann not being bothered to please you, why don't you support the cottage industries, buy some decals, do some modelling and stop moaning?  OR start up you're own manufacturing company and make a 'bang up to date' model?

3 minutes ago, Half-full said:

What I have said is keeping it within context

Instead of bleating about Bachmann not being bothered to please you, why don't you support the cottage industries, buy some decals, do some modelling and stop moaning?  OR start up you're own manufacturing company and make a 'bang up to date' model?

Here we go...moving on.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, classy52 said:

Don't forget the warning flashes on the cab fronts so yeah a few things were left off and too be honest disagree with the 'point in time' statement in this case as the modeled loco only covered less than 18 months as opposed to over 5 years if they had bothered to add the decals...like I said they had 5 years to think about it.

Yes I think the fact the loco is currently like that is somewhat muddying the waters, with the continuous argument about "bang up to date" being a pointless exercise from those who choose not to pursue it to us who do (and somehow still find stuff to buy).

If it was a livery in the 90s with 1.5 years in one configuration and say circa 3 years post tweaks (to give Bachmann the benefit of the doubt on their drop dead date for livery in this case) then I can't see why anybody would be arguing the case of the 1.5 year one in terms of trying to sell the things unless it was somehow significant or special.

I aren't even saying they should have changed it, I just think it would make sense on Bachmann's part to make it applicable to as wider time period as possible. I'd be very surprised if things were set in stone when the change happened given when the model arrived.

4 hours ago, Half-full said:

They could have released it 'bang up to date' and the prototype could have changed whilst the model was on the ship.  Then it wouldnt be bang up to date

And it would still have been in that configuration 2 years longer than the one modeled. I also doubt (although have no insider knowledge to back this up) 90042 won't be at the front of the queue for new livery until all the old FL ones are done?

• Agree 1

Re my post of 9th February which "Daddyman" correctly pointed out  that my renumbered 90027 should have black cab window pillars, this was correct so has be altered as below

A quick check of Flickr seems to show yellow cab pillars on 90026 *,90032 *,90034 *,90035*,90036*,90037-50 and black cab pillars on 90021- 90025,90027,90031,90033 *,90038 *

* Railfreight European livery version

Hope this helps someone

Mike

!cid_25A3DE96-2197-4939-B36F-880D48C3C4FB.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, classy52 said:

Here we go...moving on.

Making statements attract responses.

The mark of a man is to embrace opinions you disagree with, not by getting irritated because they dont agree with you.

I don't buy the argument 2015-2020 period sells more than 2014-2015.. why, not because of this class 90’s livery, but because of everything else you own.. unless intensely diligent, you will end up with models outside even a 5 year time frame, not to mention inaccuracies of those within it... thats why model railway companies made “eras” .. time slices, not absolute years. Those eras overlap...

I dont know your circumstance, but I suspect most work around an era of interest, overlapping to suit, and where desired allow tolerances, or make use of modelling skills to get a specific scenario.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/era-system

note era 10 covers 2007-2017, era 11 starts in 2014.

Arguably eras 4,5,8,9,11 are most popular. This freightliner 90 strategically sits over 10,11 nicely. Those in 10 /11 will be happy, those who want the latest will make adjustments, and the silent majority wont care.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I dont know your circumstance, but I suspect most work around an era of interest, overlapping to suit, and where desired allow tolerances

This is my situation, although I do use the "it's not like that now" as an excuse not to buy stuff. For example 67013 R3574 in DB red, I saw that discounted to about £90. I'd have almost certainly gone for that (as it was a bargain, can't think which shop it was) but talked myself out of it because its not like that now. If it had been a model I was really keen on I'd have probably bought it anyway but it was more because its a nice loco at a good price.

I think the thing is, whilst perfection (whatever you perceive that to be) is not possible it does not mean pursuing it is a waste of time!

Another one I have is 2 GBRF sheds from Bachmann with the Europorte circles on the logos. I won't be removing them!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Making statements attract responses.

The mark of a man is to embrace opinions you disagree with, not by getting irritated because they dont agree with you.

I don't buy the argument 2015-2020 period sells more than 2014-2015.. why, not because of this class 90’s livery, but because of everything else you own.. unless intensely diligent, you will end up with models outside even a 5 year time frame, not to mention inaccuracies of those within it... thats why model railway companies made “eras” .. time slices, not absolute years. Those eras overlap...

I dont know your circumstance, but I suspect most work around an era of interest, overlapping to suit, and where desired allow tolerances, or make use of modelling skills to get a specific scenario.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/era-system

note era 10 covers 2007-2017, era 11 starts in 2014.

Arguably eras 4,5,8,9,11 are most popular. This freightliner 90 strategically sits over 10,11 nicely. Those in 10 /11 will be happy, those who want the latest will make adjustments, and the silent majority wont care.

Not irritated but just rolled my eyes hence moving on from that response, it was the manner of it full of insinuations which seems to be a common practice by a few these days when you point something out or make an observation.

I respect people's opinions but not when you come across like that.

Anyway, back to your's above yes valid points and yes the argument can go both ways and personally my era ideally starts from 2016 thus I can now go buy some decals and do some modeling, support cottage industries, keep my mouth shut, stop moaning and lastly all of the above :jester:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, classy52 said:

do some modeling,

TBH this statement slightly irks me, purely because there seems to be some people (I have seen this in various places on the forum) that seem to think you shouldn't be interested in model trains without also wanting to "model", despite the "ready to run" sector being the largest part of the industry.

The industry is small enough that we don't want to be regarding some as 2nd class citizens because they don't want to cover a £170 model in decals or paint!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

20-04-2020 Update 

I thought i had missed this off, soooo DB still have one or two RfD 90s in their long term storage pool, if you look at the long term stored examples, pictures of which can be found of 90025 or 90027 both of which are still in RfD...(amongst others)  and could be given a serious dulling down, weathering and renumbering from the standard RfD 90037. 90030 which is one of those still left in EWS in the long term storage pool and was expected to be returned to traffic this year, may now be next year would make a good project when Bachmann get round to doing an EWS one.