Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

Guest Half-full
45 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

TBH this statement slightly irks me, purely because there seems to be some people (I have seen this in various places on the forum) that seem to think you shouldn't be interested in model trains without also wanting to "model", despite the "ready to run" sector being the largest part of the industry.

The industry is small enough that we don't want to be regarding some as 2nd class citizens because they don't want to cover a £170 model in decals or paint!

The RTR sector is the largest part of this hobby, and the RTR manufacturers are supported by many cottage industries for those who want a make a specific model using an RTR item as a base, whether its a full repaint or just the addition of a couple of decals.

Some folk do look down on people who dont want to do anything to their models, and likewise, people who do modify them are looked down on too, especially by collectors.

Different people want different things, but if a manufacturer doesn't make a specific model that an individual wants, and that individual isn't prepared to do anything to reach their end goal, then don't come on a public forum slating the manufacturer as all you'll do is look silly.

3 minutes ago, Half-full said:

The RTR sector is the largest part of this hobby, and the RTR manufacturers are supported by many cottage industries for those who want a make a specific model using an RTR item as a base, whether its a full repaint or just the addition of a couple of decals.

Some folk do look down on people who dont want to do anything to their models, and likewise, people who do modify them are looked down on too, especially by collectors.

Different people want different things, but if a manufacturer doesn't make a specific model that an individual wants, and that individual isn't prepared to do anything to reach their end goal, then don't come on a public forum slating the manufacturer as all you'll do is look silly.

I agree there. I wasn't slating Bachmann BTW, just not understanding their logic.

I won't be modifying my rolling stock to look more realistic until I have got to the point where they don't run on a wooden board that looks like a wooden board!

I want to put a station in to start but I need my Hornby 800 to turn up so I can check clearances....

But then I am also planning my next (more permanent) layout so who knows?

• Like 1

On 19/04/2020 at 10:47, TomScrut said:

Where are the extra decals? I have just been looking at a pic of it from last week and can't see anything any different!

But yes I sort of agree with you, like how Hattons have done with the Biffa 66. On the other hand I do understand why Accurascale are keeping 92032 as it was rather than changing to as is (even though being a member of IMechE I'd have liked it but will probably get 92020 instead now)

Being a lover of cool liveries, its a shame what I call Tunnel livery has been shelved ... for the box colours now seen on the GBRf 92s ... but there is something in consistency of liveries, ok, there will always be unusual liveries like DB Malcolm livery as opposed to be DB Cargo red, but do they even need to change one from one slight tweak to another, i mean, REALLY ??? GBRf ?

• Like 1

Guest Half-full
5 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Being a lover of cool liveries, its a shame what I call Tunnel livery has been shelved ... for the box colours now seen on the GBRf 92s ... but there is something in consistency of liveries, ok, there will always be unusual liveries like DB Malcolm livery as opposed to be DB Cargo red, but do they even need to change one from one slight tweak to another, i mean, REALLY ??? GBRf ?

I think a lot of minor tweaks are done to reflect the corporate stance, acquisition/offloading of partners etc

2 minutes ago, Half-full said:

I think a lot of minor tweaks are done to reflect the corporate stance, acquisition/offloading of partners etc

That's it, they are no longer to do with Europorte so all their branding has been removed. So the EP livery will disappear I expect (I got a 66 with it because I like it, still might go for 92032 but 92020 looks cool too) and the circles on the GBRF logos have gone, although interestingly my EP 66 hasn't got the circles on the logos but has on the main livery!

Oh, and that bell on Evening Star must be about the only instance of "modelling" I have done other than fit nameplates! Spot the difference between Hattons and Bachmann too...

Sorry for straying OT

2020-04-20 17.48.44.jpg

On 16/04/2020 at 19:23, TomScrut said:

Although I aren't sure how much the drivetrain actually would cost to be honest, compared to the inconvenience to have dummy cars in a niche pack (although both DB/EWS and FL double head intermodals)

I am going to be double-heading my 90s out of Johnson Street IEMD in the not so distant future. They're regularly rotated by DB on Malcolm duties

On 19/04/2020 at 14:48, adb968008 said:

They added some extra wording under the various Freightliner logos, saying. “a Gennessey & Wyoming company”, and some ISO complaint markings next to the cab doors.

90043 was the only 90 to gain Powerhaul livery with the Genessee and Wyoming branding.

Bachmann's subject, 90042 (as well as 90045 90049) are in original ‘Powerhaul’ but like almost every Freightliner loco, has received the ‘Zero Injuries branding’.

Hope this helps.

Edited by chris37422
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

On the decals issue, you could always approach Railtec or Precision to see if they would do some ...

I have acquired a 2nd and have been wondering what to do with it.. as for source..

numbers

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2716

zero injuries

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2078

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

TBH this statement slightly irks me, purely because there seems to be some people (I have seen this in various places on the forum) that seem to think you shouldn't be interested in model trains without also wanting to "model", despite the "ready to run" sector being the largest part of the industry.

The industry is small enough that we don't want to be regarding some as 2nd class citizens because they don't want to cover a £170 model in decals or paint!

Yes - the RTR segment is the biggest portion of the market - but it then irks me that there is a list of folk just queuing to say "please can you do XXXXX or YYYYY next?" or "why did you do XXXXX, I wanted ZZZZZ".

Yes - the RTR segment is the largest, [*] so it's allowed that they can complain the most when a particular number/livery isn't announced to their satisfaction.

As mentioned above, most RTRers simply aren't bothered, but there does seem (to me) to be a vociferous minorty who constantly moan when a particular loco/livery/number isn't produced.

You may not want to cover a £170 model in decals or paint, but don't complain when a RTR model isn't covered in the decals and paint that you want.

I'm surprised that some of these companies actually bother to make models in the first place.

[*] and thankfully so, because without the RTR contingent we wouldn't have models produced at a reasonable cost, so that some modelling can be done on them..................

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, newbryford said:

So you're quite happy to do some modelling then?

I'm quite happy to leave my 90 as it is despite it not being exactly as the real one is now, as I have said further up!

In fairness once my layout is where I want it to be (as at the moment decals on locos don't scratch the surface of faux reality) and my rolling stock is stabilised I will maybe do something with some of them. Probably weathering.

Edited by TomScrut

Guest Half-full
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Don't tell anyone but I've already modelled the stock in my photo on the page before.

You are a very naughty boy

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

no need to keep picking away at this particular scab........

Quite:

Problem is, folk that keep harping on that a particular number/name/livery isn't being done RTR, then they are creating the wound in the first place.

To satisfy the renumber/rename buyers:

If anyone is happy to pay £170 for a model, then surely a few quid more to get it renumbered isn't a hardship?

I've just done a quick search and found £20 quoted for a rename/renumber from a reputable trader - including nameplates. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Quite:

Problem is, folk that keep harping on that a particular number/name/livery isn't being done RTR, then they are creating the wound in the first place.

To satisfy the renumber/rename buyers:

If anyone is happy to pay £170 for a model, then surely a few quid more to get it renumbered isn't a hardship?

I've just done a quick search and found £20 quoted for a rename/renumber from a reputable trader - including nameplates. 

Given I was the one your comment was originally pointed at I will offer my point of view...

I certainly can't disagree with what you're saying. I don't (or try not to) complain when stuff isn't available, my statements on the subject of this 90 were simply not understanding the logic of not doing the more recent version rather than a whinge.

I do agree though that one cannot expect every livery/version/number in RTR and anybody that does is unreasonable IMO. I was disappointed that Hornby didn't do a GBRF or DC 60 this year but I am pretty certain it will come. Also between the manufacturers I have plenty of stuff I want without it.

I'd certainly pay £20 for a renumber if I had got to the point that I had run out of off the shelf stuff I want! At the moment that is not a problem, whilst I am only recently back into model railways the choice of stuff available is amazing compared to what it was 20-25 years ago when I was a child.

It is interesting to see how some of the newcomers are going about things differently, I have a rake of 12 Accurascale PCAs all RTR not one the same number. I can't think of a type of modern Hornby or Bachmann wagon where that would be achievable? Dapol tend to offer a wider variety of numbers but the big two it's normally only one version or pack per year tops. Also look at the variations in Hattons 66 and Accurascale 37/55/92 at launch. I think the RTR buyers haven't ever had it better in terms of choice, although prices have gone up coming back after 20-25 years the biggest jump has been in what your money gets you IMO (on stuff that is newer tooling, a Hornby 91 is the same tool as I had when I was a kid, 90 very similar)

• Like 3

On 20/04/2020 at 10:43, TomScrut said:

This is my situation, although I do use the "it's not like that now" as an excuse not to buy stuff. For example 67013 R3574 in DB red, I saw that discounted to about £90. I'd have almost certainly gone for that (as it was a bargain, can't think which shop it was) but talked myself out of it because its not like that now. If it had been a model I was really keen on I'd have probably bought it anyway but it was more because its a nice loco at a good price.

I think the thing is, whilst perfection (whatever you perceive that to be) is not possible it does not mean pursuing it is a waste of time!

Another one I have is 2 GBRF sheds from Bachmann with the Europorte circles on the logos. I won't be removing them!

Tom, you could have got Ben @ bens resprays to sort that for you for about £30 into the current DB form. I had him do me one for the same model for 67028, it was 67013 originally, it's got the DB slogan on for Leading the freight market or something like that. Kat @johnsonstreetIEMD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

it's got the DB slogan on for Leading the freight market or something like that.

Yes that's the one, 013 went from DB red to Arriva I think and then back to DB red with the blurb on.

Maybe in the future I will do that!

Well, I would love to say roll on Bachmann with the second wave of 90s but j think ig will be Q3 2021 before we see the next one(s) hit UK shores. I just hope we either get an EWS or DB red example in this batch and depending on which era it's from, I can potentially have a totally RTR model which is really unusual for me. Having 90028 if Bachmann do this, I think I would get my own 90028 renumbered to 90019 or 90035. I don't have an EWS example yet so it doesnt really matter which one we see but a faded decals 90037 would be perfect for me but should they opt for an EWS era example  I'd just get it renumbered and rebranded into 90030 or 90037.

It's all figured out !!!

20200216_023107.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got my Swallow livery 90 on the test track today. Soon as it was on the track, it was pulling half an amp and fluctuating quite a lot. Soon as I set it rolling the amps spiked at 1.4. I had this with another 90 which blew the decoder to kingdom come, literally. So I abandoned running it in. Every retailer I speak to hasn’t heard of this happening yet I’ve had 2 different locos, from different retailer do it. I can’t be ‘unlucky’ twice! Anyone else had this?