Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

25 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Can you get it onto DC running at a crawl?

I only have DC on a 9v Lego controller. The last one that did this got very hot even under dc control. These don’t  have something silly like transit screws that need to be taken out?

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Marcyg said:

I only have DC on a 9v Lego controller. The last one that did this got very hot even under dc control. These don’t  have something silly like transit screws that need to be taken out?

the loco should work out of the box. As sold new its DCC ready, not DCC fitted.

Try a 9v battery touching the wheels, it should go at moderate speed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Volt-Alkaline-Batteries-Pack-White/dp/B00MH4QM1S/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=9+volt+battery&qid=1589751492&s=electronics&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQUxVTVNXU1hXU0VYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDgyMzE4M0dWNjg4Q05URjBNWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjQyNzYxWUYxM1RQUE9KTkg2JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, letterspider said:

Send back with a description of the fault.  It may be an important issue that needs to be brought to the attention of Bachmann. Assuming all your other locos work fine the problem isn't at your end so save yourself time 

All my other locos are fine. My first 90, an RfD one did the same thing, but 3 locos later I got a good one that’s absolutely perfect, an amazing machine, so I know it’s not my system playing about

On 13/04/2020 at 14:41, cravensdmufan said:

Yes it does - I thought I had blown the chip, so I did a CV8 to 8.

The pantograph servo still didn't operate.  So I checked the CVs against the default settings on the small card that's supplied with the decoder.

I had to change CV181 back to 6.  All was OK after that.  It had reset itself to 0, hence pantograph didn't work.  Phew!  

cheers was thinking the same tonight just stoped working. then thinkinh whats gone pop but everything else ok so off to try this fix first.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HELP! I was playing around with the pantograph values and accidentally changed the Down Position Value to 0, without realising the default value is 50. The pan has gone down, now there's no sign of it raising again. No noise from the servo motor or anything! Tried resetting the chip to CV8 Value8 but to no avail. Anyone experienced this? Hoping I haven't inadvertently burned out the servo...

11 minutes ago, daveahudson said:

HELP! I was playing around with the pantograph values and accidentally changed the Down Position Value to 0, without realising the default value is 50. The pan has gone down, now there's no sign of it raising again. No noise from the servo motor or anything! Tried resetting the chip to CV8 Value8 but to no avail. Anyone experienced this? Hoping I haven't inadvertently burned out the servo...

What decoder?

18 hours ago, daveahudson said:

I'm not sure if this will help but first reset the decoder to factory default.

Second, AT YOUR OWN RISK you will have to take the body off the chassis by removing the two screws you can see through the front of each bogie and the two that are under the right side of each bogie a bit further in than the roof panel screws. be careful of any jumper cables on the buffer beams.

Once you have the body off you are looking for the white gear on the servo. Very gently try to turn the gear  with a small flat screwdriver and look to see if the leaver arm to the pantograph starts to move. When you know which way to turn keep turning it until the pan looks to be in the up position.

Now try applying power to the loco. If all is well the pan will rapidly drop and hopefully be working again.

I had to do the same thing with one of mine when the pan was mid way through dropping when the layout lost power.

It would appear that the servo can become lost regards it's position and just stop in certain situations. 

By manually repositioning the servo to the up position it allows the servo to regain knowledge of it's position and start working again. 

I hope this is of help

Edited by Carl BR
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 18/04/2020 at 23:10, DBC90024 said:

IC Swallow 90's can be renumbered into various different numbers up to 90015

Kat @ johnsonstreetIEMD

You can actually go 10 higher, as 90001-90025 all rolled off the production line in Intercity Swallow

Another excuse to do some modelling

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Been running in my Freightliner 90046 and fitted sound chip from DC kits,really nice runner and so easy to fit the chip,pity more were not like this.

It beats Hornby's 87 hands down in this respect (& others too).

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Been running in my Freightliner 90046 and fitted sound chip from DC kits,really nice runner and so easy to fit the chip,pity more were not like this.

I know it has had an issue but in general I think it is an excellent locomotive.

The Bachmann 90, Dapol 68 and Hattons 66 are my favorites at the moment in terms of what is available in my area of interest. I do like the Bachmann 70 detail wise but is let down by lack of DCC functionality.

The Accurascale 37 and 92 are likely to put a feline among the pigeons though

• Like 1

On 08/06/2020 at 22:12, TomScrut said:

No just independent end lighting, day/night lighting switchable on DCC etc.

I think the current generation of releases is a massive step forward in terms of functionality, ie the Hattons 66, Dapol 68 and Bachmann 90. And I’m sure it will be the same for all future releases. The Class 70 is actually a nice model but an old model, they have been around for quite a few years. For me it’s more of an issue for the Hornby models where you can’t even turn the tail lights of at all.....

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

The Class 70 is actually a nice model but an old model, they have been around for quite a few years.

It's a shame though when they modified the tooling for the intake mod they didn't tweak the circuit board. But what you have said is exactly my point, it's not at the level of the three you mention because of it.

11 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

For me it’s more of an issue for the Hornby models where you can’t even turn the tail lights of at all.....

This is the case with the 70 other than by a physical switch.

But yes as I have already mentioned in another thread today, Hornby doing newly tooled stuff at £150+ with 8 pin decoders isn't great IMO, and hence why I probably won't buy a 91 unless it's cheap on principle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

But yes as I have already mentioned in another thread today, Hornby doing newly tooled stuff at £150+ with 8 pin decoders isn't great IMO, and hence why I probably won't buy a 91 unless it's cheap on principle.

If Hornby produced a model which requires more than 4 functions for control, then it would need a competitor's decoder.

I wish they would update their decoder, or increase their range to provide more features. This would open the door for models to make use of them.

• Agree 2

Just now, Pete the Elaner said:

If Hornby produced a model which requires more than 4 functions for control, then it would need a competitor's decoder.

They could do what Dapol did with the 68 and Hattons with the 66. Switches on the boards to offer additional functionality if the decoder allows it.

Socket wise an 8 pin could fairly easily be adapted to suit 21 pin I'd have thought, just an updated PCB. Could do what Gaugemaster do and offer a 21 pin decoder with a loom to make it 8 pin. Or they bring back the Sapphire?

One thing they are missing out on whilst only offering 8 pin is selling decoders into other people's locos too.

I had hoped they had just thought they'd sit 21MTC out and wait for Plux22 but that doesn't seem to be the case

• Like 1

6 hours ago, letterspider said:

Does anyone know if Hornby are going to release a TTS decoder for the Class 87?

Hopefully! TTS really was a game changer for budget sound. I think the next step for Hornby though is to make a TTS chip for either a 21-pin DCC decoder or something compatible with the newer DCC decoders. If I am not mistaken a couple of manufacturers in the US are making budget sound decoders also.

9 hours ago, letterspider said:

Does anyone know if Hornby are going to release a TTS decoder for the Class 87?

It would be a bit pointless until they re-design the chassis. The current one is a complete cock-up when it comes to DCC fitment.

The speaker location is marked under the board, but there is no depth available to fit one. If your speaker is more than about 3mm thick (which they all are), then it will not fit.

Both of my 87s are sound fitted, but I had to attack the cabs with a cutting disc to fit the sugar cubes & a Loksound micro is a tight squeeze in the stowage slot. This is smaller than Hornby's decoder, so a TTS has no chance.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2