Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

One to consider, 90002 now sports the name “Wolf of Badenoch” when I saw it yesterday.

I find it strange for it to be given 87027's old name.

I can see it was previously named Mission: Impossible & Girls Brigade.

I remember Mission: Impossible being a Virgin-era name so did it carry Girls Brigade in its InterCity years?

• RMweb Gold
On 16/07/2020 at 09:55, Pete the Elaner said:

I remember Mission: Impossible being a Virgin-era name so did it carry Girls Brigade in its InterCity years?

Not sure, the nameplates on 90002 my guess (and its just a guess) is maybe its wearing the original 87027 plate.

This is my image zoomed in.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Great name for a locomotive.

Would love to have seen the original.

image.png.9933fb9c9fb9e12dad50ab39b4d34eda.png

Al.

The original is in Dunkeld Cathedral, for 615 years.

The great thing lost about nameplates is their history. Todays plates are mostly commercial, historically theres loads you can learn from them.

Several years back I went on safari in South Africa, the guide mentioned there was dozens of species of deer, can anyone name them... I rattled off a dozen B1’s to the astonished audience..., won a prize, he then pointed to one and asked which species was that.. at which I confessed I didn't have a clue.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

On 15/06/2020 at 19:44, PM47079 said:

That looks lovely Top job on them all but this one is my favourite.

@cambo74 I dare say you will need to stock up on the new numbers soon Ben what with 90014 already at Toton on its way into the Orange Freightliner livery and with the 86s due to be retired imminently, others from the ex-GA pool will no doubt follow 90014 over to Toton.

Edited by DBC90024

The 90s are getting done bit by bit and it results in a repaint, but the timetable for the introduction on anything past Wembley to Ipswich with a 90 has slipped. Due to covid. All training was suspended from March and has not restarted. Just a handful including me actually know 90s but about 2/3rds of the depot actually do need to know them. I think the remaining 12 86s out of 16 may be required a little longer. So you have plenty of time to do some more repaints. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PM47079 said:

The 90s are getting done bit by bit and it results in a repaint, but the timetable for the introduction on anything past Wembley to Ipswich with a 90 has slipped. Due to covid. All training was suspended from March and has not restarted. Just a handful including me actually know 90s but about 2/3rds of the depot actually do need to know them. I think the remaining 12 86s out of 16 may be required a little longer. So you have plenty of time to do some more repaints. 

Do you mean about their recent acquisition of 90003-90015 ? I know 90014 has already started the wave of repaints by being sent to Toton to be repainted into the new Freightliner orange and black.

3 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

Do you mean about their recent acquisition of 90003-90015 ? I know 90014 has already started the wave of repaints by being sent to Toton to be repainted into the new Freightliner orange and black.

Yes the locos need to have the buffers and couplings changed and the rubbing plates removed. Internally the mod which reduces the power output when connected up with another 90 in multi needs to be as well. And then a repaint .

• Thanks 1

Yes, and the class 86s are playing up of late and taking up workshop time at the electric depot at Basford Hall slowing down the work getting done on the 90s. There have been swapping about of wheelsets between 86s to try and keep as many in service as possible. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/07/2020 at 19:06, PM47079 said:

Yes the locos need to have the buffers and couplings changed and the rubbing plates removed. Internally the mod which reduces the power output when connected up with another 90 in multi needs to be as well. And then a repaint .

what does the power output drop to when connected up to another 90 in multiple? Do they draw any more power than things like the Class 87s used to when double-headed on the steel coil trains from Ravenscraig?

• RMweb Premium
On 16/07/2020 at 09:55, Pete the Elaner said:

The naming of 'The Girls' Brigade' was carried out at Euston station on 6th April 1993 shortly after I had joined InterCity from Network SouthEast. It was, if I recall correctly, the first InterCity Class 90 locomotive to have proper cast nameplates, Chris Green was not a fan of the reflective silver ones that had become InterCity standard. We arranged for Dave Newton at Newton Replicas to cast not only the plates for the locomotive but also four presentation plates which were presented to the four National Presidents of the organisation for displaying in their HQ premises in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. I remember the detail well as my late mother had been involved with the organisation all her life initially in Scotland and later on moving south and was Captain of the local company for many years.

The naming itself was carried out by Her Majesty The Queen Mother who had not been seen in public for some months prior to the event. The Queen Mother was Patron of the organisation and photographers from every national newspaper, press agency and international magazine were in attendance as a result.

My pictures were taken after the ceremony hence the station not looking as spick and span as it did before the Royal naming.

'The Girls' Brigade' nameplates were removed on privatisation in 1997. 'Mission Impossible' was the slogan selected for the transition of the West Coast Main Line following the awarding of the franchise to Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Group. Some years later a Pendolino was named 'Mission Accomplished' following the renewal of the entire train fleet in 2004.

London Euston 39-2.jpg

London Euston 39-3.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
literal
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

I had been wanting a 90042 Freightliner version since its release, but reading the horror stories on here, had no confidence in ordering one from the UK to my home in Tasmania.  Eventually I bit the bullet and ordered one locally from a retailer in WA. Amazingly, it has arrived perfect in every way, even more so given it’s total shipping miles around the world has been close to around 25,000.   This suggests to me that the issue of overtightened bogie pivot screws on some is the more lightly culprit, probably exacerbated by shipping shocks and knocks.

Anyway, a superb model in pristine condition so feel very fortunate.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Now that's one for the"prototype for everything" file!

They look ok to me in that pic.

They are in the retracted position with the buckeye raised. When the head is dropped to use the hook there is a pin on the buffer shank that is removed allowing the heads to be rotated 90 degrees and extended.

AFAIK class 33, 73 and 91s also have the same type fitted.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, RP82 said:

They are in the retracted position with the buckeye raised. When the head is dropped to use the hook there is a pin on the buffer shank that is removed allowing the heads to be rotated 90 degrees and extended.

& for anyone who has not seen it, they also retract/rotate on the model..

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RP82 said:

AFAIK class 33, 73 and 91s also have the same type fitted.

Every day - more knowledge - thanks

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

& for anyone who has not seen it, they also retract/rotate on the model..

On the RF one yes, the IC and FL ones don't AFAIK as they weren't like it originally? No idea about the SNCB one for the Collector's Club.

3 hours ago, newbryford said:

Another 90 livery. (As hinted in previous posts about 90014)

Photo by Jack T from flickr

Freightliner 90014 & 66415 - 0K91, Stenson

Looking at that Vs 044, FL logo to one end instead of middle (on one side) and the yellow is brighter? At least on the ends. I presume they realised it was probably best to put the logo to the end on both sides!

I do prefer this I think to 044

Edited by TomScrut
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1