Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

On 29/07/2020 at 18:13, TomScrut said:

Looking at that Vs 044, FL logo to one end instead of middle (on one side) and the yellow is brighter? At least on the ends. I presume they realised it was probably best to put the logo to the end on both sides!

I do prefer this I think to 044

It's funny I thought that when I saw it but thought it must have been me having a nerd moment

08.08 - Actually, they've copied DB Cargo by putting it to one side, just like DBC putting their larger logos to one side

Edited by DBC90024
i just thought of something
  • Funny 1

Someone from our office went to the US and brought back some Hershey's 'chocolate'. It was truly awful compared to the then Cadbury's. Hershey's reminded me of condensed milk with some brown colourant in it.

A serious question regarding the new Freightliner colour scheme from an enquiring mind: Why the change from what (in my mind) is a rather pleasant green/yellow to the - errm - garish orange? Change for changes sake or another reason?

Cheers,

Philip

1 hour ago, Philou said:

Someone from our office went to the US and brought back some Hershey's 'chocolate'. It was truly awful compared to the then Cadbury's. Hershey's reminded me of condensed milk with some brown colourant in it.

A serious question regarding the new Freightliner colour scheme from an enquiring mind: Why the change from what (in my mind) is a rather pleasant green/yellow to the - errm - garish orange? Change for changes sake or another reason?

Cheers,

Philip

Because Freightliner is owned by an American company called "Genesee & Wyoming". The orange and black livery is theirs and they decided to apply to it all the companies they own worldwide.

Therefore since they own Freightliner, they've applied the new livery to their Freightliner locos.

In Australia G&W have done the same thing...

Not everyone likes it, to you it's garish, to others it is quite a smart livery. 

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

to others it is quite a smart livery

I like it, I aren't keen on PH livery really, I think it works on 90s and 70s but not the 66s.

Will be interesting to see what a 70 looks like in this!

2 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

lights come to mind

I didn't know the lights were different I thought it was just the horn grilles.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Not everyone likes it, to you it's garish, to others it is quite a smart livery.

Unfortunately for me, orange doesn't work too well as it's a colour that was all the rage in the 70s and so was 'new' at the time - but not second time round.

All our buses in Cardiff were originally cream and maroon (since the year dot admittedly) and overnight with the introduction of OMO the buses became 'clockwork oranges'.

Thanks though for the info regarding Genesee & Wyoming - I had heard the name mentioned on another thread but hadn't made the association.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As a child of the 60s and 70s I like orange, (and avacado, and brown, and bare concrete and brick)  so I prefer the new American inspired livery to the Norwich City tribute chest clinic phlegm and mucus colours.  Plus it's a nice hi-viz colour scheme with proper yellow ends.  Safety first and all that.

Hersheys?  The "chocolate" flavoured with real vomit.  Vile beyond description.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

11 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Because Freightliner is owned by an American company called "Genesee & Wyoming". The orange and black livery is theirs and they decided to apply to it all the companies they own worldwide.

Therefore since they own Freightliner, they've applied the new livery to their Freightliner locos.

In Australia G&W have done the same thing...

Seeing them coming down the track -You know when you've been Tango'ed!!!!

If they had some green paint left over - they could always do an "Apple Tango" too!

66587 - must be a limited edition Pink Lemonade Tango!

Best Wishes,

C

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

6 hours ago, classy52 said:

I'm in the G&W Orange livery brigade, I quite like it & looks fantastic on the Class 90.

And I personally feel that the livery suits the British and Australian locos better than the American ones.... Well atleast IMHO it definitely suits the Class 66 and Class 90. I wonder how it will look on a Class 86 (which I believe are going to be refurbished) and the Class 70.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

And I personally feel that the livery suits the British and Australian locos better than the American ones.... Well atleast IMHO it definitely suits the Class 66 and Class 90. I wonder how it will look on a Class 86 (which I believe are going to be refurbished) and the Class 70.

I used to have some kind of Train simulator computer game (not MSTS) where you could paint 3d outlines of locos by block filling pre-set areas, and am convinced this is how the original Genesee and Wyoming livery was "designed".

I was hoping that since FL have never been that quick at repainting their assets and have continually been choosing worse corporate schemes, they might have put a vinyl logo on the Anglia locos and put them straight into traffic rather than messing them up, 90s look better with black cab pillars and the plain flat sides can carry pretty much anything but that yellow looks insipid and the mix between orange and black clashes because neither has a clear majority by area. By comparison the Grand Central scheme by comparison looks classy even with the solid orange band that could be improved with vinyl printed technology.

I once has the crazy idea of modelling every livery of 90 (but the idea wouldn't have worked where 90024 for example has carried two unique liveries), but I would have seriously given this one a miss.

Edited by 298

• RMweb Gold
On 31/07/2020 at 21:08, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

The article also states the 86s will be overhauled and return to service!

It actually said..

Some of the locomotives will replace the ageing class 86 fleet which will be retired from service until they can be overhauled and re-introduced

They are old and tired, they owe Freightliner nothing.
I take that to be aspirational. The class 86 is an asset with value until disposed of, sticking them in storage costs them nothing, makes the balance sheet look better.

“until” could be an eternal wait, some class 70’s have been stored now for 3 1/2 years, despite being only 9 years old.

On 01/08/2020 at 22:41, classy52 said:

I'm in the G&W Orange livery brigade, I quite like it & looks fantastic on the Class 90.

As a dedicated follower of DB and in particular, the 90, I really like the new orange and black Freightliner livery, and in a funny way, it's sad because I feel FL did a great job with Powerhaul, we were seeing a number of different traction units gracing us in it, 90042, of course, in it, a couple of 86s (86637, as done by Hornby a few years ago), a handful of 66s wear it and of course all the 70s, which came that way. It's a natural progression of sorts, best represented by Freightliners 90 as it happens, with FL grey and red triangle livery (only 048 remains), Green and yellow cabs (016, 41 and 46), Powerhaul (042, 043, 045 and 049) and now the Genesee & Wyoming form (014, 044 and 047) all visible at the same time. 

its nice that we are in an era where locos on the main are looked after in terms of colour schemes, DB Cargo, formerly DB Schenker have for the most part given their 90s a mostly corporate colour scheme, with numerous variations, my favourite one, by far, is 90024 and DB really came up trumps with this, and a little dicky bird has told me that Malcolm is currently undergoing an exam ahead of his return to traffic, the folks at Crewe IEMD have cracked whatever nuisance issue had kept him keeping the longer term stored 90s company for the best part of eighteeen months. 

United Colours of DB will probably never have been so vibrantly coloured as it is now in the active and warm 90 pools, with:

90018 DB Schenker red - ''Pride of Bellshill - (the last fully Schenkered DB 90 - after seeing 018, 029, 036 and 040 all Schenkered some time back now)

90019 DB Cargo red ''Multimodal'' - (a busy and very active 90 - one of the active mainstay 90s for DB - just having finished a two week stint on 4M25 and back at Crewe relaxing)

90020 Grand Central (GC) ''Bumble-bee livery - (the newest member of the GC pool - being readied also at Crewe ahead of some testing runs I imagine)

90021 EWS First Scotrail Barbie blue, with white and pink stripe livery - (the last surviving member of the old Cally Sleeper era - soon to be Grand Central'd) 

90024 DB Malcolm Rail - Scottish Highland wrap along its flank - very clever DB !!! -  Malcolm is expected back in service imminently - i cant wait to see it up close !!

90026 Grand Central ''Bumble-bee livery - (the first 90 to find itself Grand Central'd - currently at Widnes Tech depot)

90028 DB Cargo red - ''Sir William McAlpine'' - has just gone back on 4M25 duty with 90034

90029 Grand Central ''Bumble-bee livery - (the second 90 to find itself Grand Central'd - currently at Wembley depot - and also the first DB Schenker red 90s to be repainted)

90030 EWS - put in this list as  its expected to be in the process of being overhauled ready to return to traffic and had it not been for Covid - it would have been by now.

90034 DB ex-DRS blue - one of my favourite DB90s - an odd but quirky liveried 90 and one which has been versatile working on the GEML (GA working), ECML (91 cover) and WCML (4M25 Malcolm and railtours workings) in the last eighteen months

90035 DB Cargo red - expected back at Crewe IEMD in the next few days - having been on a sabitical helping testing of the OHLE on MML.

90036 DB minus Schenker livery - ''Driver Jack Mills'' - currently spare at Crewe - having recently been on duty on both 4M25 and also driver training for Grand Central

90037 ex-EWS DB - in the warm pool at Crewe - one of the lesser busy examples of late - last seen moving a DB 66 to Crewe

90039 faded numbers EWS livery - soon to be the fourth or fifth Black and Orange GC as they head off to Toton to be readied into Grand Central livery along with 90021, making five DB90s in GC Bumble-bee.

90040 DB minus Schenker red - in the warm pool at Crewe - along with 90037 and 90021 

Did i say I was looking forward to seeing 90024 on 4M25 once more ? 

310120 - DB Malcolm Logistics 90024 by Olivias - 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/08/2020 at 05:38, MGR Hooper! said:

Hopefully, the 86s will still survive the arrival of the GA90s for FL and yes, i'm with you, bring on a G&W 86, if not, i'd love to see a pair of DB and Malcolm ''Scottish highland scene liveried 86s'' - it could work - DB know how to maintain them and they wouldnt have to move far, Crewe Basford Hall to Crewe IEMD isnt so far, is it ?

Malcolm 90024 vs Freightliner Powerhaul 90042 - 1 - rmweb version.jpg

• Like 2

On 02/08/2020 at 08:28, shunny said:

I am hoping we might get one of these announced on Tuesday by Bachmann.

No such joy Shunny, but hey, we did get a large logo DB 66, how long has it taken them to do a bog standard one of these? when the first one has been in service nearly three years ? tut tut Bachmann, okay so we had the YIWU TMC exclusive but it was a strange one and doesnt even work on this service for the most part. I couldnt wait so I had a couple of my Schenker 66s rebranded

Bachmann DB Cargo 66009 & 66065 - 4 - RMwebversion.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 03:16, MGR Hooper! said:

Because Freightliner is owned by an American company called "Genesee & Wyoming".

On a side not, Genesee & Wyoming itself is now owned by a Canadian company called "Brookfield Infrastructure Partners".

I was quite fond of the Freightliner green on the Class 90 but the orange does fit it nicely as well. Hopefully we'll see this new livery applied to a future Bachmann release.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Starlight Stepney said:

On a side not, Genesee & Wyoming itself is now owned by a Canadian company called "Brookfield Infrastructure Partners".

I was quite fond of the Freightliner green on the Class 90 but the orange does fit it nicely as well. Hopefully we'll see this new livery applied to a future Bachmann release.

By then we'll have a new livery from Freightliner..... :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, Starlight Stepney said:

Hopefully we will. I expect the amount of different liveries carried helped Bachmann to choose to make the 90 in the first place. It would be a missed opportunity if they don't produce the more numerous ones & FL green lasted longer than most.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm still waiting for 90024 in the GNER livery before jumping in. I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't yet emerged with Hornby bringing the retooled class 91 in GNER livery and Rails producing the class 89 in two GNER variants.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, wrex said:

I'm still waiting for 90024 in the GNER livery before jumping in. I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't yet emerged with Hornby bringing the retooled class 91 in GNER livery and Rails producing the class 89 in two GNER variants.

I suspect you may be waiting a while, it was a nice livery but one of the most strangest, given the GNER 90 didnt actually get much GNER work. I think Virgin livery, EWS and Grand Central will be the next three we see,

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

I think Virgin livery, EWS and Grand Central will be the next three we see,

I think there realistically a pool of about 6 there would be a good case for.

EWS - Probably the most common livery over the years although also a lot of them were stored for these years.

Grand Central - Very nice brand new livery so doing it soon would be striking while the iron is hot. Matching rolling stock may be the limiting factor though? Unless Hornby do it.

FL Orange - Same as above but instead of rolling stock the previous release could be a limiting factor. On the other hand given they run in pairs may work well?

RES - Quite a popular livery from BR days, probably the only one left from that era that isn't niche.

DB - Fairly common from the last few years. Would work well with a new Hornby mk4 release too which may be of appeal.

Virgin - Probably the top choice for passenger work in privatisation and there is a lot of stock to go with it as far as I am aware including Hornbys current range.

I think they'd be better waiting to see what Hornby do with Mk4s before GC and DB.

EWS, Virgin and RES would probably be my choice if I was Bachmann, especially if they do an EWS one still in that scheme.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

I suspect you may be waiting a while, it was a nice livery but one of the most strangest, given the GNER 90 didnt actually get much GNER work. I think Virgin livery, EWS and Grand Central will be the next three we see,

I'm quite surprised EWS and Virgin Trains were not in the first batch.

Other popular liveries would be RES, DB Schenker, DB Cargo and Freightliner.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 2