Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

We need this...

:rolleyes:

979729FB-D354-4D74-8E55-9EA78466E436.jpeg.06de45a85f65ba8dfe1a26675d06459a.jpeg

please.

Which? There are two positions for the DB logo just in that photo. Then there is the DB SCHENKER version as well. All these minor differences must be a pain in the **** for manufacturers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I'm quite surprised EWS and Virgin Trains were not in the first batch.

Other popular liveries would be RES, DB Schenker, DB Cargo and Freightliner.

Hey, I think this is one of the major bonuses for Bachmann - they have got themselves a model which has been seen for a long time on the network in lots of different liveries for lots of different kinds of work. Personally speaking, i was disappointed that we didnt see an EWS or DB liveried 90 either last year or in the most recent reveal, I have four 90s now, and the fourth like the previous three are off to the Toton equivalent in the model rail world for a relivery.  I am sure Bachmann will reveal EWS and DB liveried ones soon enough, i just dont like waiting for anything lol, i think EWS maroon and gold will be seen first as it kinda falls across Era 9 and 10 or 10 and 11 and has seen a greater life span and still seen now, as it was back in 2004 i think would have been roughly when it was first seen, DB on the other hand is alot newer whether its Schenker or Cargo in form. I have been blogging my layout and loco stable on my profile and 90030 is going to be number four, with a twist :-) 

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Which? There are two positions for the DB logo just in that photo. Then there is the DB SCHENKER version as well. All these minor differences must be a pain in the **** for manufacturers.

Great picture there with DB 90019 DB Cargo ''Multimodal'' and DB 90036 DB minus Schenker ''Driver Jack Mills'' going through Carnforth recently. I love those liveries

but getting back to your statement We need this - what you really need to ask yourself is ...

do you want . . . 

DB Cargo large logo - newest style Era 11 - seen on 90019 ''Mulitmodal'' first, revealed at the NEC, 90028 ''Sir William McAlpine'', revealed in January 2019 at the York Railway Museum (which I attended and is shown on my blog - and is now one of my 90s, seen below, on railtours duty) and 90035, which isnt named and has just come back to Crewe from a stint of Midland Mainline (MML) testing, and was based at Leicester for this. 

DB minus Schenker - currently 90036 ''Driver Jack Mills'' and 90040 not named, was also seen in 90029 form but this has now been reliveried into Grand Central ahead of it working on the Blackpool North to Euston push-pull services (with a DVT and five coaches, three second, 1 restaurant and 1 first class carriage. )

DB Schenker - currently only 90018 ''Pride of Bellshill'' is seen like this - but previously all the other DB minus Schenker 90s were seen like this, also 90029, 90036 and 90040 - but not 90019, 90028 and 90035 which were liveried out from First Scotrail (90019) and EWS liveries respectively (90028 and 90035)

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

05_03_20 - 90028 @ Stacton Tressell station - 2.jpg

Edited by DBC90024
i missed something
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think there realistically a pool of about 6 there would be a good case for.

EWS - Probably the most common livery over the years although also a lot of them were stored for these years.

Grand Central - Very nice brand new livery so doing it soon would be striking while the iron is hot. Matching rolling stock may be the limiting factor though? Unless Hornby do it.

FL Orange - Same as above but instead of rolling stock the previous release could be a limiting factor. On the other hand given they run in pairs may work well?

RES - Quite a popular livery from BR days, probably the only one left from that era that isn't niche.

DB - Fairly common from the last few years. Would work well with a new Hornby mk4 release too which may be of appeal.

Virgin - Probably the top choice for passenger work in privatisation and there is a lot of stock to go with it as far as I am aware including Hornbys current range.

I think they'd be better waiting to see what Hornby do with Mk4s before GC and DB.

EWS, Virgin and RES would probably be my choice if I was Bachmann, especially if they do an EWS one still in that scheme.

Interesting ideas there...

EWS and Virgin, yes, of course, two of the most commonly seen liveries in the privatisation era, EWS still seen now, in 90037 and 90039 and soon to be 90030 also, was seen until recently in the form of 90020, 90028 and 90035 (all since reliveried GC and DBC red x2), as for Virgin, seen on the WCML from 1997 to 2002, but a popular livery and there has been a variety of mk3 carriages for a 90 to haul and the Virgin DVTs as well for push pull operations.

Grand Central, yes of course, a very flashy livery recently liveried up in the real world, and in the model world by several professional reliveriers out there ...  there is a number of grand central HSTs also having pulled mk3s so, one could use these to be hauled by a 90 until the mk4s are done by either Hornby or Oxford. Equally, Hornby may well do a DVT in Grand Central also.

Freightliner Orange - will work well with any intermodal wagons and if one can do a consist, either the current Powerhaul 90042 or any of the other liveries done by the reliveriers, Freightliner Grey or Green.

DB - will work with anything going,intermodals, East Coast or LNER carriages, Grand Central Mk3s, Greater Anglia Mk3s, Caledonian Sleeper carriages, any heritage carriages, engineering wagons, car transporter wagons, other DB or EWS 90s, there is very little one could say they havent been seen hauling from one time or another.

RES - is probably the most nichest example referred to above, had limited life in the late 90s before the Class 325s came along

Its definitely going to be interesting to see if as initially done, we see three releases, or whether it will be just the one, if it's three, then, great, hopefully, something for most folk, if its only one, please let it be EWS. EWS like DB have been seeing operating all over the country doing all sorts of work. If not EWS then I'd be happy with a DB example, any one of those is fine by me.

Edited by DBC90024
i missed something
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

RES - is probably the most nichest example referred to above, had limited life in the late 90s before the Class 325s came along

Whilst maybe the most niche in its purpose, they did plenty of passenger work in that livery. 90019 must have been in it over 15 years as far as I can find out, and in that time (on top of postal trains) stood in for 91s on ECML (both IC and GNER), ran WCML services and also Anglian services. As far as I can tell this particular loco had a period of being unnamed for a few years in the late 90s, and with or without Penny Black plaque. So that loco for example could be done unnamed and then with etched plates and plaques to be fit as the owner desires assuming no other subtle differences happened.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I love my 90s but they have not been trouble free. There have been reports of bogies dropping out of the bodies in transit, although it happened to one of mine after it arrived intact. Bachmann is jealous of its reputation and I would hope and expect that the model is being modified before more liveries are offered. The impatience for more is understandable. I’d particularly like a DB version, myself.

• Round of applause 1

12 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I love my 90s but they have not been trouble free. There have been reports of bogies dropping out of the bodies in transit, although it happened to one of mine after it arrived intact. Bachmann is jealous of its reputation and I would hope and expect that the model is being modified before more liveries are offered. The impatience for more is understandable. I’d particularly like a DB version, myself.

There was some chat about that in this thread with speculation that any bought slightly later may have benefitted from Bachmann having refined their production/QC process....but the different models we have had so far would have all been from the same batch, including the Collectors club edition 90128 in SNCF

The next lot will be from a different batch, so I think it is reasonable to hope that a fault like overtightened screws will be addressed.

I think DB has as good a chance as any of being one of the next liveries, whenever it will be.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2020 at 08:38, Pete the Elaner said:

Hopefully we will. I expect the amount of different liveries carried helped Bachmann to choose to make the 90 in the first place. It would be a missed opportunity if they don't produce the more numerous ones & FL green lasted longer than most.

90041 was the first green 90 in late 2003 I believe and the other two 90016 and 90046 were 2004/05 so that’s 17 or 15 years. And 90048 is still grey so that is a nice timescale of 20 odd years. It’s a pity the EWS livery locos have been out of traffic for a few years as there are about 7 still in that livery. 90037 would be a good candidate depending how long it has carried the dB branding.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, 47348scrh said:

I also think the pre-RES parcels red/grey would also go down well (90016-90020 inclusive if i remember correctly).

I like that livery a lot, would be nice if one got painted in it nowadays. Sorry missed "pre", I thought you meant RES, although the other livery is good too.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 47348scrh said:

I also think the pre-RES parcels red/grey would also go down well (90016-90020 inclusive if i remember correctly).

Did any Class 90's actually get painted in that livery?

I think that was a Hornby fabrication with the expectation that the Class 90s would follow the Class 47s and 86s into the same livery, but they went straight into RES.

• Agree 3

On 09/08/2020 at 08:29, No Decorum said:

I love my 90s but they have not been trouble free. There have been reports of bogies dropping out of the bodies in transit, although it happened to one of mine after it arrived intact.

I have two locos and although one arrived in perfect condition the other had to go back twice with the loose bogie problem which was only resolved by buying a replacement from a different supplier.

Because I know they are fragile I'm now wary of unboxing and re-boxing so I tend to keep them on the layout all the time.

So I hope Bachmann assemble the second batch better.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, GordonC said:

I think that was a Hornby fabrication with the expectation that the Class 90s would follow the Class 47s and 86s into the same livery, but they went straight into RES.

Hornby went ahead with Parcels, they were tipped off.

However painting was delayed and subsequently by the time the first 90 was actually painted, it came out RES.

little known point but it was originally suggested parcels sector was supposed to be green, but Derby & Above Euston where Parcels sector management were based where having none of it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 10/08/2020 at 23:21, PM47079 said:

90041 was the first green 90 in late 2003 I believe and the other two 90016 and 90046 were 2004/05 so that’s 17 or 15 years. And 90048 is still grey so that is a nice timescale of 20 odd years. It’s a pity the EWS livery locos have been out of traffic for a few years as there are about 7 still in that livery. 90037 would be a good candidate depending how long it has carried the dB branding.

I am going to make a good case, i think, for an EWS version to be the next livery we see, its been around for an age, so covers era's 9, 10 and 11, there are loads of examples, in various states from the initial EWS ownership period, 017, 018, 020, 023, 026, 028, 029, 030, 031, 032, 034, 035, 037, 039 and 040 into DB where we have seen the faded numbers versions those, in long term and those operating in the active pool, 020, 028, 035, 037 and 039. 

The DB branded 90037, one of my five favourites, 90024 (DB Malcolm), 90026 (DB Grand Central), 90028 (DB Cargo red), 90034 (DB Blue) and 90037 (DB ex EWS). 90037 would be a great candidate to be done, as it's still in service now, and has been busy operating all over the electric network, funnily enough, the only reason they might not chose this example is because they have already done 90037 in RfD, damn it !!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/08/2020 at 12:57, GordonC said:

Well every day is a school day! My memory must have been playing tricks on me as i was sure i remembered seeing them in that livery in the early 1990s (one of afternoon Manchester-New Street trains regularly had a parcels electric on it ... I must have confused the livery with the 86s which also appeared.

• Like 2

On 11/08/2020 at 12:59, cravensdmufan said:

I have two locos and although one arrived in perfect condition the other had to go back twice with the loose bogie problem which was only resolved by buying a replacement from a different supplier.

Because I know they are fragile I'm now wary of unboxing and re-boxing so I tend to keep them on the layout all the time.

So I hope Bachmann assemble the second batch better.  

They must get plenty of use then? do you have OHLE ?

56 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

They must get plenty of use then? do you have OHLE ?

Unfortunately not a working OHLE.  I just have masts but no wires - always thought off the shelf wires look too chunky, and I certainly don't have the skill to build my own finer scale version.

I do like AC electrics so they occasionally feature in my operating sessions, but the 90s spend most of their time in the sidings with pantographs down.

PICT0005 (4).JPG

• Like 10

1 hour ago, cravensdmufan said:

Unfortunately not a working OHLE.  I just have masts but no wires - always thought off the shelf wires look too chunky, and I certainly don't have the skill to build my own finer scale version.

I do like AC electrics so they occasionally feature in my operating sessions, but the 90s spend most of their time in the sidings with pantographs down.

PICT0005 (4).JPG

Not bad there I see, I agree some of the early wires are too chunky, but at the same time there are loads of more modern wiring systsems, even pre-Dapol or PECO. I am going for PECO on my layout with some adapted cantilevers applied to Nbrass multi-track masts - i did get some torri laser masts, as a trial but they are only masts and no cantilevers and not very sturdy - i know that Scalemodelscenery do masts that one still needs to hand adapt the droppers which like you say often gives a crude representation of a highly detailed item.

90028 testing the shed loco siding.jpg

Edited by DBC90024
  • Like 4

On 12/08/2020 at 16:42, DBC90024 said:

90037 would be a great candidate to be done, as it's still in service now, and has been busy operating all over the electric network, funnily enough, the only reason they might not chose this example is because they have already done 90037 in RfD, damn it !!! 

Now at Toton about to go red....

• Thanks 1