Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

90037 is going into DB Cargo ... ?

Noooooooooo ... four crying faced emojis.... 

Really ... are you sure Chris ?

Thank you for updating the blog btw ...

Sure its 90037 ? It could be 90030 which was due to be reinstated but hasnt had any exams etc of late as far as I am aware 

It could also be 90039 ... not seen on duty for a good while, but due to be at Toton soon for Geand Central reliverying ...

I love the ex-EWS DB livery. It's one if the first few repaints I had done on a Hornby 90 pre Bachmann 90 and it's one I want in Bachmann form, hopefully they will do this...

Kat :-((((((

Edited by DBC90024
Missed something

46 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

90037 is going into DB Cargo ... ?

Noooooooooo ... four crying faced emojis.... 

Really ... are you sure Chris ?

Thank you for updating the blog btw ...

Sure its 90037 ? It could be 90030 which was due to be reinstated but hasnt had any exams etc of late as far as I am aware 

It could also be 90039 ... not seen on duty for a good while, but due to be at Toton soon for Geand Central reliverying ...

I love the ex-EWS DB livery. It's one if the first few repaints I had done on a Hornby 90 pre Bachmann 90 and it's one I want in Bachmann form, hopefully they will do this...

Kat :-((((((

Positive.

Both 90037 and 90039 were moved to Toton earlier this week. 37 is for DB red and 39 GC black.

Don't know if 90037 will retain it's plates or not.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, chris37422 said:

Positive.

Both 90037 and 90039 were moved to Toton earlier this week. 37 is for DB red and 39 GC black.

Don't know if 90037 will retain it's plates or not.

Chris, that's cool re 90039 , getting ''bumble-bee livery'' - a dickeybird told me that there are now three or four rakes of GC carriages and DVTs down at Wembley in readiness for the Grand Central Blackpool North to Euston services - and all we need now is to get 90021 done also, and then the soon to be famous five 90s will be done, 90026, 90029, 90020, 90039 and 90021 (in order of painting into bumble-bee livery)

I am a bit disappointed about 90037 going into DB Cargo red - i do like the corporate DB Cargo red livery, but i just really love the tired looking ex-EWS DB livery - I am hopeful that when 90030 comes out of long term store - DB will give it ex-EWS treatment - not like what they did with 90020, 90028 and 90039  ... i love that livery, who do i call at DB to get it stopped ? lol ... they don't normally transfer plates over to new liveries - Spirit of Dagenham ... uhhhhhhh nooooooo  :-((( and its not like there arent more important DB locos or even DB90s needing updating ... the DB minus Schenker pair (90036 and 90040) - they need a slight rebranding - there 's 90018 still in DB Schenker, its nice that there has been some variety of liveries, each one has had its own identity, there's still 90021 in First Scotrail needing dragging over to Toton, i know it was photo'd outside Crewe IEMD's main shed a few days ago along with my favourite DB90, Malcolm Rail 90024 ... i'd like to see DB relivery another 90 into Malcolm Rail, maybe 90030 when its brought back into service, expected to be soon or what about 90018 or 90040 which have been in warm storage. If DB are to secure the Malcolm contract, for another few years, they should do whatever it takes to impress, maybe agree to get another DB 90 or two into Malcolm Rail with another of their Highland landscape scenes on it, 

Chris, you should join the class90electricgroup mailing list - http://www.class90electriclocogroup.co.uk/ and you can help to keep us up to date.

I managed to catch the current regulars on the Malcolm run, 90028 and 90034 on duty last night at the Queensville curve - my partner came along too and he has a decent phone too, so two for the price of one - lol - the footage is on my fledgling youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnJHJwwBox-EvXPPExBDvlA - which is a combination of DB90s and also my layout project.

Have a nice evening and do keep us up to date with any developments at Toton

Kat @ johnsonstreetIEMD

05_03_20 - 90024 and 90034 parked up - 1.jpg

Edited by DBC90024
i missed something
  • Like 3

Note for anyone who is looking for one, there is a Collectors club Bachmann 90 - 90128 Vrachtverbinding - up for grabs on Ebay at the moment - for what seems a really good price ? Its not mine, and its not the right livery for me, but someone may want one ... and well, after a lovely post from a fellow modeller on here pointing out that Olivias Trains had the Malcolm logistics Bachmann 90 for sale, it seems like the right thing to do 

1 hour ago, Squirrel Rail said:

on the subject of 90037 the rfd version I have has now become 048 in freightliner :DIMG_1197.jpg.650a1641ad7d9834eede8c92ab3b97b0.jpg

Nice looking example, will look great sat along side the Powerhaul 90, wont it ?

Are you planning to weather it just out of curiousity ? 

Edited by DBC90024
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Nice looking example, will look great sat along side the Powerhaul 90, wont it ?

Are you planning to weather it just out of curiousity ? 

It will be weathered in the next few days- too clean and shiny at the mo! it will be on my Squirrel Rail workbench thread if you’re interested which also has how I’ve changed it from 037, cheers Jerry

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Squirrel Rail said:

It will be weathered in the next few days- too clean and shiny at the mo! it will be on my Squirrel Rail workbench thread if you’re interested which also has how I’ve changed it from 037, cheers Jerry

Its fair to say I have a bit of a soft spot for the Class, so I am always interested in what folk are doing with theirs, so I will definitely have to check that out, also, in a secret bunker far far away from here, an expert reliverier is currently working on my fourth DB 90.

42 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Its fair to say I have a bit of a soft spot for the Class, so I am always interested in what folk are doing with theirs, so I will definitely have to check that out, also, in a secret bunker far far away from here, an expert reliverier is currently working on my fourth DB 90.

I look forward to seeing it:D I will be doing a RES one in the near future as at present the workbench has a bit of a queue! 

21 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

Chris, that's cool re 90039 , getting ''bumble-bee livery'' - a dickeybird told me that there are now three or four rakes of GC carriages and DVTs down at Wembley in readiness for the Grand Central Blackpool North to Euston services - and all we need now is to get 90021 done also, and then the soon to be famous five 90s will be done, 90026, 90029, 90020, 90039 and 90021 (in order of painting into bumble-bee livery)

I am a bit disappointed about 90037 going into DB Cargo red - i do like the corporate DB Cargo red livery, but i just really love the tired looking ex-EWS DB livery - I am hopeful that when 90030 comes out of long term store - DB will give it ex-EWS treatment - not like what they did with 90020, 90028 and 90039  ... i love that livery, who do i call at DB to get it stopped ? lol ... they don't normally transfer plates over to new liveries - Spirit of Dagenham ... uhhhhhhh nooooooo  :-((( and its not like there arent more important DB locos or even DB90s needing updating ... the DB minus Schenker pair (90036 and 90040) - they need a slight rebranding - there 's 90018 still in DB Schenker, its nice that there has been some variety of liveries, each one has had its own identity, there's still 90021 in First Scotrail needing dragging over to Toton, i know it was photo'd outside Crewe IEMD's main shed a few days ago along with my favourite DB90, Malcolm Rail 90024 ... i'd like to see DB relivery another 90 into Malcolm Rail, maybe 90030 when its brought back into service, expected to be soon or what about 90018 or 90040 which have been in warm storage. If DB are to secure the Malcolm contract, for another few years, they should do whatever it takes to impress, maybe agree to get another DB 90 or two into Malcolm Rail with another of their Highland landscape scenes on it, 

Chris, you should join the class90electricgroup mailing list - http://www.class90electriclocogroup.co.uk/ and you can help to keep us up to date.

I managed to catch the current regulars on the Malcolm run, 90028 and 90034 on duty last night at the Queensville curve - my partner came along too and he has a decent phone too, so two for the price of one - lol - the footage is on my fledgling youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnJHJwwBox-EvXPPExBDvlA - which is a combination of DB90s and also my layout project.

Have a nice evening and do keep us up to date with any developments at Toton

Kat @ johnsonstreetIEMD

05_03_20 - 90024 and 90034 parked up - 1.jpg

Here is a probably my favourite picture of 90037 that I have taken. I think it was only ever intended to be a 'Stop Gap' until a combination of spare capacity at Toton paint shop and suitable availability of the rest of the fleet to allow it to be repainted. As with most things in the industry things change quite quickly and the loco has racked up well over 5 years in this 'interim' scheme if you like. 

90037 90024 4M25 Winwick

it of an update on the 'warm store' loco's. 90018 is awaiting wheelsets and 90021 was originally planned to operate on freight still in FSR livery as part of it's shake down/bed in programme before the GC treatment. Then came along Covid! Will be good when they are back though.

Re 90030, DB's intention to run more electric hauled freight should benefit the Class 90's as well as the 92's. I believe discussions and assessments have taken place on all the long term stored 90's at Crewe with both 90027 and 90030 the front runners and likely to be back one day. Crewe have a lot of work on at the moment though so will take time!.

As you can probably tell, I'm a self confessed '90 nut' - here is a link to an album of images I have taken over the last 5/ years. Feel free to take a look if you get a chance https://www.flickr.com/photos/cmc1987/albums/72157645602289528

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, chris37422 said:

Here is a probably my favourite picture of 90037 that I have taken. I think it was only ever intended to be a 'Stop Gap' until a combination of spare capacity at Toton paint shop and suitable availability of the rest of the fleet to allow it to be repainted. As with most things in the industry things change quite quickly and the loco has racked up well over 5 years in this 'interim' scheme if you like. 

90037 90024 4M25 Winwick

it of an update on the 'warm store' loco's. 90018 is awaiting wheelsets and 90021 was originally planned to operate on freight still in FSR livery as part of it's shake down/bed in programme before the GC treatment. Then came along Covid! Will be good when they are back though.

Re 90030, DB's intention to run more electric hauled freight should benefit the Class 90's as well as the 92's. I believe discussions and assessments have taken place on all the long term stored 90's at Crewe with both 90027 and 90030 the front runners and likely to be back one day. Crewe have a lot of work on at the moment though so will take time!.

As you can probably tell, I'm a self confessed '90 nut' - here is a link to an album of images I have taken over the last 5/ years. Feel free to take a look if you get a chance https://www.flickr.com/photos/cmc1987/albums/72157645602289528

Hiya Chris,

Thank you for the heads up on the above - thats a great picture of my third favourite DB90, after 90024 and 90034. I love that livery, its sooo railwayish, its perfect, the EWS livery is such a gorgeous livery scheme and i loved the DB EWS transitionary livery, i just wish DB had given the other EWS 90s the same treatment, they (90020, 90028 and 90035) looked tired whereas 90037 had looked sharp in ex-EWS DB just after it had been given its snazzy makeover like a few other DB locos got, 60065 also got this - as did at least one other 67 and a load of 66s. Its stupid but i'm actually disappointed that 90037 isnt going to be seen like that anymore, i mean, come on DB, how many 66s are there, in service right this moment in time that havent had any form of DB branding? loads.... absolutely loads of them, yet the 90s, a relatively smaller pool and you have to go and rebrand one of my favourite 90's - i am consoling myself with the fact that 90024 is going to be back soon, I know what you were saying Chris - about Crewe IEMD being busy, keeping the other mainstays in a healthy state, i know 90035, 90036, 90019, 90024 and 90026 were having exams after recent works on GC, 4M25 and MML work. Thats what I like to see, my 90s being looked after - and yes, i also recall one of the top men at DB saying a few months ago in RAIL that they were working out how many DB90s they could realistically get back in service, i dare say it would help if more freight terminals were given an electrified collection point and access to an electric network.

On a layout front, my fledgling layout project, which is about 70% complete, Johnson Street IEMD, well, the subtle name of it is inspired by Crewe, and okay, yes, there will be diesel presence there too, in the form of currently two 66s, two 60s and a 67, the mainstay of Johnson Street, will be the 90's of course - three DB 90s will soon be four - along with planned arrivals of at least one Accurascales Class 92 - maybe more - i really fancy the idea of DB acquiring some 86s from Freightliner as well. Watch this space !!! and also check out my youtube channel JohnsonStreetIEMD where I regularly upload both layout progress and DB90 followings.

Meanwhile I am just admiring your work on flickr, i have a flickr page for my DB90s also... 

Kind regards

Kat @johnsonstreetIEMD

Johnson Street IEMD on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/gp/katherine247/9x8SBG

Johnson Street IEMD on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnJHJwwBox-EvXPPExBDvlA/videos

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

As promised here's a pic of it with the start of the weathering -more pics on my workbench thread if anyone's interested.:DIMG_1214.jpg.4e6edd0a77b61c93af6284c2ea228f28.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you for the link to your 90s page on flickr @chris37422.  Needless to say, i trawled through all 500 and found this - which I thought i was my favourite ex-EWS DB 90037 shot.

90037+90026 4M25 Winwick

Its especially good as you caught it up close showing off the subtle cosmetic defects such as the panel where the nose DB logo sits being a different shade of yellow to the rest of the nose yellow or just maybe it had been replaced or the metal had warped, also nicely paired with the shirker of the active DB 90 pool. 90026 is up there with the 90s that have seen the least usage on 4M25. Sorry 90026, but that is all about to change now you have a new suit of colours ahead of Grand Central operations out of Blackpool North to Euston. 

I must admit i had been hoping to catch a pair up of 90024 and 90037 which i dont think were ever seen together post Malcolm Rail. I love the mix and match pairings of DB90s. I am having to console myself with your news that DB90037 will soon be in DB Cargo red, knowing that I still get to see the pairings close by ... like this:

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

Edited by DBC90024
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Squirrel Rail said:

Just received the replacement from the approved Bachmann supplier and again both bogie towers broken - tearing hair out now:huh:

I bought one recently from derails, I had Dan pack a small square of cardboard under the battery box. Just enough to expand the plastic packaging so the bogies had a little movement In the box.

Loco arrived fine, indeed all 4 of mine arrived fine.

I have bought a broken one (for its pantograph), but note that the towers look like they can be repaired using a BA Nut/Bolt from under the tower into the chassis, rather than screwed down from above.

On 15/06/2019 at 17:20, John ks said:

My Class 90 arrived recently. Seems I am not the only one with this problem

One of the bogies had an excess of sideway & back/front movement

On investigation I found that the boss (pivot) that locates the bogie was broken

If looks like the screw holding the bogie to the chassis may have been over tightened to the point where the boss broke or was that stressed that the shocks during transport caused it to brake

I tapped the boss to 2mm & super glued it back in place, next day I run the tap through the boss & into what was left of the bogie frame, & held the bogie into the chassis with a longer screw that so far has been ok.

Photo shows the boss super glued in place, look closely & you may see the excess glue

1890347386_bogie1.jpg.ffe0d1028b711002df7ec26b540a51ad.jpg

While reassembling the loco I noticed the second bogie was not right,

Turns out the boss on that bogie was also broken

The screw was tightened to the point where the boss was distorted & very tight in its piviot hole

bogie_2.jpg.e279535eb1fa4b0531006ab8849fda97.jpg

This drawing may help to explain how I repaired the second bogie

bogie3.jpg.e70d57fc3f4153ef263a3d22d0cb114b.jpg

If the first bogie fails I’ll try this same repair on it

If anybody is interested the servo looks a bit like this

servo.jpg.d901a9f59d522e128cd86a0e4cbb10fb.jpg

Should I have sent this back for repairs? Maybe. If I sent it back then that could be another month(I live in Oz) or more before I see the model again

I have contacted my retailer Requesting replacement bogies but from previous posts I get the impression that they may not be available

Time will tell.

John

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I bought one recently from derails, I had Dan pack a small square of cardboard under the battery box. Just enough to expand the plastic packaging so the bogies had a little movement In the box.

I have bought a broken one (for its pantograph), but note that the towers look like they can be repaired using a BA Nut/Bolt from under the tower into the chassis, rather than screwed down from above.

In case you missed it, this is how i repaired mine

John

• Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Many thanks for the message. IM0 the fractures have occurred during assembly as the pictures John posted show an identical fracture to a previous one I had but certainly worth a look. I spoke to the supplier and they have sold fourteen without problem then my two!! Hopefully third time lucky!

4 hours ago, John ks said:

In case you missed it, this is how i repaired mine

John

Meant to add- I have had a replacement bogie from Bachmann which cost £28 inc P&P to repair an out of warranty eBay purchase so you can get them. Think the two screw method is a bit cheaper though!!

On 28/08/2020 at 06:11, Squirrel Rail said:

Meant to add- I have had a replacement bogie from Bachmann which cost £28 inc P&P to repair an out of warranty eBay purchase so you can get them. Think the two screw method is a bit cheaper though!!

Replacement bogie now fitted and weathered. IMG_1351.jpg.0c61586eae1e566102121362b5e4dae9.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg.ae95c04bec5a86a2f60b239e6b3eb572.jpg

• Like 5

TDM Cables - Apologies if this has been covered in the thread already but today relocated the TDM cables to the buffer beam sides instead of from under the horn grill. I have posted more details on my Squirrel Rail workbench thread if you're interested but here's a quick pic of the revised front end, Cheers JerryIMG_1361.jpg.0b88a1b5c388740fdbad06c15cedaffb.jpg

• Like 4