Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I must admit these days Flickr is my go-to for railway photos - simply type in your chosen loco number followed by the year (eg 90001 1998) and boom you’ve got like 30+ perfect pics there from all angles! Even better, download the app on your smartphone and screenshot away... to think only relatively few years back we’d make do with a grainy magazine photo of a generic similar loco & hope for the best, or actually print a pic out off the new internet, how times change! :good_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Many thanks for the suggestions! I have noticed that there’s no OHLE warning flashes on it. Was this normal?

cheers, Matthew

Hi Matthew - which 90 are you referring to? My list above is the ones I’m doing so hope we haven’t got our wires crossed!! Cheers Jerry

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Squirrel Rail said:

Hi Matthew - which 90 are you referring to? My list above is the ones I’m doing so hope we haven’t got our wires crossed!! Cheers Jerry

I’m looking at 90005 and the pictures which came up on Flickr in 1998 don’t show any OHLE flashes on it. A quick google to show some other 90s in the same era with IC Swallow also don’t show them.

Cheers Matthew

1 hour ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

I’m looking at 90005 and the pictures which came up on Flickr in 1998 don’t show any OHLE flashes on it. A quick google to show some other 90s in the same era with IC Swallow also don’t show them.

Cheers Matthew

I've attached a couple of pics I took at Euston early 90s and no flashes on intercity 1775198287_90001(3).jpg.507b56d2ab64b8a53d016e58d4abb117.jpg

or mainline

IMG_1566.jpg.18deb5bc2cb2fe386bd5d90ae0e850f2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Cheers Matthew

OHLE locos didn't need flashes until later on, maybe even privatisation (my interest stops at 1992 so i'm not sure on the exact date). They had to have the orange cantrail stripe though

20 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Are you sure? I thought DB and freightliner did a swop 90016 for 90050 when 90050 was taken out of service.

90016 was part of EWS originally, but it was taken on by Freightliner after 90050's problems, this was sometime ago, so Freightliner's original 90s were 90016, then 90041 to 050.

DB's 90s are 90017 - 90040

Kat :-)

Edited by DBC90024

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Cheers Matthew

OHLE flashes were only required at access points to the roof, or potentially above the cantrail.

This was mostly retroactive as diesels/ electrics of the 1960’s didn’t recognise the safety issue associated with it, and roof access was a norm (carried over from steam days)...indeed it’s ironic the AC electrics (86/87) didn’t have ohle flashes until privatisation, whilst steam and diesel around them did.

The one I found ironic was the Bury line class 504’s having them, yet never going near OHLE.. and nothing to warn of 3rd rail.

However the class 90’s were designed without steps to roof access, and as such didn’t need OHLE flashes.. it was designed out...

Moving forwards to 2020, the IEP fell fowl of forgetting why history evolved how it did, as the cables between coaches allowed a potential ladder climb to the roof, and no OHLE flashes

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

OHLE flashes were only required at access points to the roof, or potentially above the cantrail.

This was mostly retroactive as diesels/ electrics of the 1960’s didn’t recognise the safety issue associated with it, and roof access was a norm (carried over from steam days)...indeed it’s ironic the AC electrics (86/87) didn’t have ohle flashes until privatisation, whilst steam and diesel around them did.

The one I found ironic was the Bury line class 504’s having them, yet never going near OHLE.. and nothing to warn of 3rd rail.

However the class 90’s were designed without steps to roof access, and as such didn’t need OHLE flashes.. it was designed out...

Moving forwards to 2020, the IEP fell fowl of forgetting why history evolved how it did, as the cables between coaches allowed a potential ladder climb to the roof, and no OHLE flashes

Ahhh ok that makes more sense! Many thanks for the info! How come the LSL repaints of the class 90s do have them then? Is it just required these days?

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Which I think has now been corrected? Haven't they made the top cables longer to remove the ladder effect or something?

On 01/08/2020 at 11:11, Philou said:

Someone from our office went to the US and brought back some Hershey's 'chocolate'. It was truly awful compared to the then Cadbury's. Hershey's reminded me of condensed milk with some brown colourant in it.

I had a three month stint in the US back in the early 2000s. Craving proper chocolate, I was excited to find a box of Cadbury creme eggs in store. This was followed by a deflating disappointment when I bit into one. It’s only then that I read the fine print on the box: “made under licence by Hershey” :(

On 01/08/2020 at 16:59, wombatofludham said:

Hersheys?  The "chocolate" flavoured with real vomit.  Vile beyond description.

I believe that they add sodium butyrate to prevent heat spoilage. It’s that that gives the vomit notes. It also prevents enjoyment. 

Sorry for the OT

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 20/09/2020 at 17:35, brushman47544 said:

Are you sure? I thought DB and freightliner did a swop 90016 for 90050 when 90050 was taken out of service.

It is a convoluted tale. Yes 90016 was exchanged for 90050 as the maintenance was done on 90050 by EWS then. 
after that 90042 caught fire followed by 90044 catching fire and 90046 having derailment damage at Bletchley. 90044 was repaired using parts from 90042, and the bogies off 90042 went on 90046. Then as I understand it. 90050 was purchased and 90042 was repaired using parts from 90050. I imagine the feasibility of doing the repairs on 90042 using 90050 was looked into before purchase. It would appear the bogies off 90046 must have been damaged in some way as when the bogie overhaul programme was carried out 90041 was left bogieless at Leeds midland road for about a year as they needed a float of a pair of bogies. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Modelling inspiration this afternoon caught in the form of some live footage of two of my favourites, DB 90028 and 90024 on 4M25, and also a short while after LSL's 90001 passing through Stafford.

I originally planned to catch 90024 asap when it had been due to be testing after having been reinstated by DB. Unknown to me, at the time, it had actually been down to Stafford with 90034 and I'd missed it which i was really cross about, sooo having seen it was back on play on 4m25, I set out to catch it Tuesday just gone, it didnt run  I had my wires crossed, so Wednesday, but no, DB Blue and Malcolm had a falling out, and DB Blue was sent home  early after misbehaving at Mossend. Soooo, up went Sir Bill (90028) to do the run today, as it turned out, today has been the best of the three days, getting an additional bonus seeing a third 90, okay not a DB one, but LSL's 90001 as well.

Edited by DBC90024
  • Like 3