Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

I have noticed that 90001 has had its horn grille replaced with the original one. That may explain why 002 has been doing all the tests recently. Now I’d quite like a model of one of these!

Wow someone’s going to amazing detail there then !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Wow someone’s going to amazing detail there then !

Indeed! I may have to model both 90001 and 90002 now! I hope they name 001 after it’s service with Greater Anglia, “Greater Anglian” maybe? I may start building an LSL fleet...

Edited by LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Indeed! I may have to model both 90001 and 90002 now! I hope they name 001 after it’s service on Greater Anglia, “Greater Anglian” maybe? I may start building an LSL fleet...

I bought a 90005 speculatively to do as 90002, but was thinking over doing the DVT grill (buying a a Hornby mk3 DVT just for a grill is a bit extreme)... Maybe I won’t need to. 

• Funny 1

24 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I bought a 90005 speculatively to do as 90002, but was thinking over doing the DVT grill (buying a a Hornby mk3 DVT just for a grill is a bit extreme)... Maybe I won’t need to. 

I am considering doing that! However I would need to redo the lighting on it. I may just wait and see what will happen regarding new releases. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Why do DB always double head that one ? Is it positioning move as it wouldn’t require the power of two ?

Possibly it may be point to point timings on the train? Or it could be it will allow for a higher trailing load if nessercary? .I don’t know the weight of that train but a single 90 on an intermodal from Ipswich was allowed about 1400tonnes if I remember. Or maybe like you say it’s a positioning move for something that they work later

7 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

I have noticed that 90001 has had its horn grille replaced with the original one. That may explain why 002 has been doing all the tests recently. Now I’d quite like a model of one of these!

Well, surely, that would be a case of liasing with a man with a plan @cambo74  ... to take 90005 and renumber it to 90001 or 90002 - a simple numeric change ...

Edited by DBC90024

6 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Indeed! I may have to model both 90001 and 90002 now! I hope they name 001 after it’s service with Greater Anglia, “Greater Anglian” maybe? I may start building an LSL fleet...

That would be a pretty cool fleet, 90001, 90002, 87002, 86101 and a few diesels also... personally i preferred it when the electrics were in Cally Sleeper form ... more high profile work for the classic electrics as opposed to an uncertain future with LSL ...

6 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

That would be a pretty cool fleet, 90001, 90002, 87002, 86101 and a few diesels also... personally i preferred it when the electrics were in Cally Sleeper form ... more high profile work for the classic electrics as opposed to an uncertain future with LSL ...

I wouldn’t say their future is uncertain, Mk3s are being put into ICS, 82139 has received ICS, and 002 tested it. I’ve also read somewhere that a tour or two is booked later on this year with the a proper Mk3 rake all in ICS. 

6 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

Well, surely, that would be a case of liasing with a man with a plan @cambo74  ... to take 90005 and renumber it to 90001 or 90002 - a simple numeric change ...

That would be the first step, but then you would need to possibly change the grille as 002 still has its GA style one. The actual horn grille itself is white instead of yellow and it has LED lights which are certainly different to the old halogen ones. I’d say it’s possible that they could be made as a collectors club model

• Like 1

On 25/09/2020 at 21:14, PM47079 said:

Possibly it may be point to point timings on the train? Or it could be it will allow for a higher trailing load if nessercary? .I don’t know the weight of that train but a single 90 on an intermodal from Ipswich was allowed about 1400tonnes if I remember. Or maybe like you say it’s a positioning move for something that they work later

By my reckoning 26 decks at 24 tonnes each (48t for the pair of decks, counts as one wagon on TOPS etc), 30 tonnes max for a 40 foot box Gives us 26*54= 1,404 tonnes trailing weight.

The train is routed over Shap, so the pair will help it keep moving over what is presumably a steeper route than the GEML and the southern end of the WCML? This train is always booked a pair of 90s and both are powering. DB did away with 92s on such services as a pair of 90 were more reliable and more economical apparently.

Jo

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

That would be the first step, but then you would need to possibly change the grille as 002 still has its GA style one. The actual horn grille itself is white instead of yellow and it has LED lights which are certainly different to the old halogen ones. I’d say it’s possible that they could be made as a collectors club model

It may be more practical to get it etched. If you can do the drawings then there are places which will etch these onto a brass sheet.

Etchings are usually done by the sheet though. It would be a waster to etch just 1 set of grilles & waste the rest of a sheet of brass (typically A4), so it would be useful to either find loads of others who want the same grille or other things you want etched too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It may be more practical to get it etched. If you can do the drawings then there are places which will etch these onto a brass sheet.

Etchings are usually done by the sheet though. It would be a waster to etch just 1 set of grilles & waste the rest of a sheet of brass (typically A4), so it would be useful to either find loads of others who want the same grille or other things you want etched too.

That is possible, I think Pete over at PH Designs has done it in the past before and he said that when I enquired about it he said I was the first person to ask for that in a long time and I need to wait until current situations are over. I know someone else who would quite like a few of these grilles.

• Like 1

What a lovely Class 90, 90037 now named Christine.

Detail about the loco naming & livery connections are in the link to Flickr.

Certainly hope Bachmann will consider this Class 90 in a future run and get permission to do it.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/09/2020 at 01:21, DBC90024 said:

Simple to do ...... let me know 

9 hours ago, classy52 said:

Certainly hope Bachmann will consider this Class 90 in a future run and get permission to do it.

@cambo74 hmmm rolls eyes ... ahem, maybe this is how its done... 

Edited by DBC90024

10 hours ago, classy52 said:

As a self confessed follower of the DB90 fleet and lover of liveries, i was actually pretty disappointed to see one of my favourite liveried 90s, 90037 in the unusual, but not so unusual ex-EWS DB livery to be the one to be taken over to Toton to be repainted (as seen below on one of my previous Hornby 90 repaints, pre-Bachmann 90) As it turned out (with the GC fallout) maybe this could have been left as it was - and they could have repainted 90039 into this livery and left 90037 the way it was - in a way, it was already DB'd - and like the good number of 66s to look like this as well as 60065 Spirit of Jaguar and i think there was at least one 67 sometime ago that also had this transitionary EWS to DB livery. Now, having said all of the above, there is no doubting DB Cargo UK have done a great job with this.

Hornby Ex EWS DB 90037 - 13.jpg

Edited by DBC90024
  • Like 3