Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

21 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Yes and they are fantastic and love the work they're doing but I find it tragic the only new stuff we see with the Bachmann 90's are repaints and nothing from Bachmann themselves.

Think of the design - supply pipeline as a spinning glitter-ball.  Of the thousands of little mirrored squares on there, you've Big Four and BR steam, BR transition and post-privatisation diesel including multiple units, the equivalent in electrics, then re-run the above timeline for LHCS, NPCCS and wagons, then add in N gauge and OO9. EDIT: Oh!  And Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends.

Class 90s occupy possibly 0.08% of those dazzling little tiles, you've got to wait for the ball to rotate a good many times while all the other niches are serviced.  When manufacturers say that production slots are rationed and in limited supply, they're not just sat there drinking tea and playing cards. 

Edited by 'CHARD
to add Thomas and Friends
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

8 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Think of the design - supply pipeline as a spinning glitter-ball.  Of the thousands of little mirrored squares on there, you've Big Four and BR steam, BR transition and post-privatisation diesel including multiple units, the equivalent in electrics, then re-run the above timeline for LHCS, NPCCS and wagons, then add in N gauge and OO9. 

Class 90s occupy possibly 0.08% of those dazzling little tiles, you've got to wait for the ball to rotate a good many times while all the other niches are serviced.  When manufacturers say that production slots are rationed and in limited supply, they're not just sat there drinking tea and playing cards. 

A well put case but somewhere in Bachmann Towers when they signed off the cost of all the tooling there would have been an investment appraisal of what the return would be. The 90 has had so many livery variations they have loads of mileage left in the model and its not like a competitor is lurking in the wings. Saying that they haven't exactly flown off the shelves but that could be the choice of livery so far. Saying that I wonder who did the case for the 85! ( it is nice though).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I suppose they probably over-delivered at the first attempt with three liveries on launching the Class 90, and heyho, we are in the middle of a global pandemic the nature being so great and no one yet knows how big this is going to get.

What we really need now more so is progression on the knitting that keeps the 25kv wires in place beyond single masts and wires, come on PECO or AN other ...  whether that be the original style gantries on the WCML or the latter style with the diagonal droppers mounted across twin horizontal headspans. Electric locos and IETs/EMUs without this look out of place.

• Agree 1

To follow that here's one of the missing liveries. Today I have altered the bottom yellow stripe, finished the decaling, got the detail pack on and started the weathering. Door handles need painting back in and a few stray bits of fluff to tidy up but it is my workbench!IMG_1842.jpg.9ff37a9a3d6f15cfcde3a3e2e18f6380.jpg

and the other side...

IMG_1841.jpg.d4f98de8b49c58618ad60d6e2ddc5c8c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Squirrel Rail said:

A well put case but somewhere in Bachmann Towers when they signed off the cost of all the tooling there would have been an investment appraisal of what the return would be. The 90 has had so many livery variations they have loads of mileage left in the model and its not like a competitor is lurking in the wings. Saying that they haven't exactly flown off the shelves but that could be the choice of livery so far. Saying that I wonder who did the case for the 85! ( it is nice though).

Of course, Jerry, i think maybe the Swallow fair enough but the RfD one, really??? that should have been EWS 

As for the 85, that should have been the 86 or 87 really ... and then Bachmann would have opened up a whole different market that ultimately Heljan will do so when their new tooled 86 will do so - and Hornby have done similarly with their new generation 87.

Edited by DBC90024
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Of course, Jerry, i think maybe the Swallow fair enough but the RfD one, really??? that should have been EWS 

As for the 85, that should have been the 86 or 87 really ... and then Bachmann would have opened up a whole different market that ultimately Heljan will do so when their new tooled 86 will do so - and Hornby have done similarly with their new generation 87.

I would agree on INTERCITY but I think the RfD one was probably a good call when you think how many carried the livery - equal to, if not more than IC. 

It’s the Powerhaul version I find odd when so few carried it and that probably should have been EWS!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, Global said:

I would agree on INTERCITY but I think the RfD one was probably a good call when you think how many carried the livery - equal to, if not more than IC. 

It’s the Powerhaul version I find odd when so few carried it and that probably should have been EWS!

I think it was more a case of trying to cover the period of operation for the 90. The IC Swallow 90 came first, the RfD one shortly afterwards. the Powerhaul 90 was probably one of the newest if not THE newest at the time of the development of the Bachmann 90, and it may have been a choice between Powerhaul and DB Schenker and they went with Powerhaul. The RfD one, whilst. yes, had alot of class members in this - was very much the same period - and they're only seen now either in Long Term store at Crewe IEMD or 90048 in Freight Freightliner livery.  By having EWS and Powerhaul, there would have been different operators over slightly different time periods, Powerhaul was 2016, EWS had already been taken over by DB several years prior to this, and by chosing EWS their coverage on the Network, as opposed to RfD would have been greater..

• Like 1

Not directly Bachmann 90 related, but there are a number of 90s found here:

Home : Modelling Zone : Prototype : UK Prototype Discussions (not questions!) Photos of AC electrics

I have spent a good period of this weekend immersed in this thread on rmweb ''Photos AC electrics'' ... lots of creative inspiration here i am finding - im currently on page 29 of 46 and i havent even added any of my AC leccy's on here just yet ... all in good time eh !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squirrel Rail said:

Perhaps they DID fly off the shelves and that is why so many bogies have broken :(

• Funny 1

54 minutes ago, Global said:

I think if they done RFD on the “other” chassis format without the cut buffers it would have given a greater range of options number wise,  Have to agree on Powerhaul though very narrow field of options!

3 hours ago, Squirrel Rail said:

Saying that they haven't exactly flown off the shelves but that could be the choice of livery so far.

The other thing is how Bachmann don't tend to release multiple in the same livery. If they could have split the FL batch into 2 numbers they'd have done better I think given they run in pairs. Having said that an orange one now would be good.

But I do think that there would have been better ones to do. Missing EWS or DB out seems odd tbh.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Global said:

I think that's as Bachmann mainly go on a best guess approach when it comes to releases and liveries. They look and decide what they think its wanted and then release, knowing that most people will go for a new model and eventually it will be sold. Very popular ones happen but some more skew choices remain for a while longer. You can think its building up demand, but then it equally just a case of they missed it this time and then do it as a follow up release later. Bachmann also go for older liveries and then newer ones on a rotational basis - which has certainly happened in releases of class 47's and 37s - so I can see there being two newer ones and one older one next, or revert back to 3 new, 3 old. Bachman also fail to notice that several sectors of the market can be tapped with multiple releases of the same model as it covers a longer time frame or regional basis. You could easily have planted in EWS alongside the pervious release or something more recent such as DB Red as those modelling DB probably wont want Rfd. However, the crux of the problem seems to be the prevailing idea that Bachmann knows best and apparently we must accept that. 

Popular next liveries for the class 90 I would go for most would be: RES, EWS, Freightliner standard Green and yellow.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

I think that's as Bachmann mainly go on a best guess approach when it comes to releases and liveries. They look and decide what they think its wanted and then release, knowing that most people will go for a new model and eventually it will be sold. Very popular ones happen but some more skew choices remain for a while longer. You can think its building up demand, but then it equally just a case of they missed it this time and then do it as a follow up release later. Bachmann also go for older liveries and then newer ones on a rotational basis - which has certainly happened in releases of class 47's and 37s - so I can see there being two newer ones and one older one next, or revert back to 3 new, 3 old. Bachman also fail to notice that several sectors of the market can be tapped with multiple releases of the same model as it covers a longer time frame or regional basis. You could easily have planted in EWS alongside the pervious release or something more recent such as DB Red as those modelling DB probably wont want Rfd. However, the crux of the problem seems to be the prevailing idea that Bachmann knows best and apparently we must accept that. 

Popular next liveries for the class 90 I would go for most would be: RES, EWS, Freightliner standard Green and yellow.  

Do Bachmann not tend to do 3 main liveries on new tooling releases and occasionally Collectors Club add on releases? I would love to see them make use of the tooling and bring out other Class 90s especially RES and Intercity Mainline

These are nothing more than theories, but:

You may remember the EWS livery RevolutioN TEA was more expensive due to licensing issues. If Bachmann is similarly affected, they would want to maximise their return on the first run and that would make EWS/DB variants less appealing. 

The rumour was that a Freightliner 90 was measured and scanned. Powerhaul was their latest livery at the time, so that could be why it was in the initial run. 

• Like 1

As I’ve said before, I love my 90s. However, they are quite fragile and I’m hoping that the good people at Bachmann are taking the time to beef up some components before doing another run. Bear in mind too that, if another run is produced, we won’t know about it until three months before it appears.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, No Decorum said:

Bear in mind too that, if another run is produced, we won’t know about it until three months before it appears.

It is interesting at the moment really, as everything they have announced this year has been a bit underwhelming (although I will get some EFE JIAs at some point) but because of their strategy it doesn't mean they haven't got some ace stuff going on in the background.

Having said that my main shopping list would be a Northern 158 and an orange or red 90 I think.

• Like 1

The livery discussion is quite interesting although completely off skew from the majority I would like to see any future announcement include an East Anglian passenger livery. GA white would suit what I have atm best but NX or ONE would sit very well with me!

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

It is interesting at the moment really, as everything they have announced this year has been a bit underwhelming (although I will get some EFE JIAs at some point) but because of their strategy it doesn't mean they haven't got some ace stuff going on in the background.

Having said that my main shopping list would be a Northern 158 and an orange or red 90 I think.

Mmmm Red 90's

Orange 90's hmm  okay ...

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, Adamski94 said:

The livery discussion is quite interesting although completely off skew from the majority I would like to see any future announcement include an East Anglian passenger livery. GA white would suit what I have atm best but NX or ONE would sit very well with me!

The boys at Bachmann could do the GA white 90s so that the even hotter experts in the field can de-brand them for Freightliner workings in the here and now LOL

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

The boys at Bachmann could do the GA white 90s so that the even hotter experts in the field can de-brand them for Freightliner workings in the here and now LOL

Sounds good to me! Personally I can't stand the new Freightliner orange so hopefully they stay white a little longer.

Edited by Adamski94
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, Adamski94 said:

Sounds good to me! Personally I can't stand the new Freightliner orange so hopefully they stay white a little longer.

Well, the beauty of this IS opinions @Adamski94, the ex-GA 90s, i know it sounds a bit hypocritical of me to talk about Freightliner not having varieties of liveries, the other four, Freight Freightliner, Freightliner, Powerhaul and G&W are freight TOC liveries, the white GA-one just looks like a ghost pendelino-like livery - and interesting as one would have thought Freightliner whose ten 90s, 90016 and 90041-049 are all active pool members, expanding their fleet is good, but surely, decide which ones will be regulars, get them liveried up, like 90014 (which they have done) . I say hypocritical because I love the varieties of DB Cargo, ie DB Cargo red, DB Cargo Gliders, DB Malcolm, DB Blue, DB ex EWS, DB EWS, DB minus Schenker, DB Schenker. Variety is the spice of life !!!

Kat @johnsonstreetIEMD

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Even if they announce so me new liveries - will still take another 3 years to appear on the shelves at probably near to £300 !!!

Much cheaper to chat to Jerry or myself for a respray .......

Ben 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Well, the beauty of this IS opinions @Adamski94, the ex-GA 90s, i know it sounds a bit hypocritical of me to talk about Freightliner not having varieties of liveries, the other four, Freight Freightliner, Freightliner, Powerhaul and G&W are freight TOC liveries, the white GA-one just looks like a ghost pendelino-like livery - and interesting as one would have thought Freightliner whose ten 90s, 90016 and 90041-049 are all active pool members, expanding their fleet is good, but surely, decide which ones will be regulars, get them liveried up, like 90014 (which they have done) . I say hypocritical because I love the varieties of DB Cargo, ie DB Cargo red, DB Cargo Gliders, DB Malcolm, DB Blue, DB ex EWS, DB EWS, DB minus Schenker, DB Schenker. Variety is the spice of life !!!

It certainly does look odd to see a white 90 paired with a yellow and green one! For me I have grown up with and subsequently worked with the East Anglian 90s so they always have a special place for me, as well as the Freightliner ones. In fact I bought the powerhaul 90042 as it was the first 90 I saw in that livery.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Funnily enough, 75% of the engineers who create the liveries are not 'boys' !!!

• Like 1