Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi all, 

I wonder if anyone could help me please? 

I don't wish to divert the topic to the prototype 90s but I have a couple of questions regarding their current duties, as I am sure that myself along with many others expects that Bachmann will release another batch of 90s next year. So the answers to these questions will inform which models I decide to buy in OO Gauge. 

Currently, is the only duty for the active DB 90s the Mossend to Daventry and return Daventry to Mossend Malcolm intermodal service? Also, if their are other regular services and/or regular ad hoc services that are currently worked by DB 90s please could someone tell me the information for these particular trains and services?

Also does anyone know how long DB have had the Malcolm intermodal contract for? I know that the specially branded 90024 was vinyled a few years ago now, so I am assuning that the contract had already commenced when 90024 gained it's Malcolm livery. 

I ask because if the Malcolm intermodal service is the only regular work that the DB 90s currently have, I am just wondering how much I would want to operate this train in OO, and the cost of a pair of 90s to work this train, and if it would be efficient buying two DB 90s for just one train for them to work. Although the Malcolm 90024, DB Glider 90037 and DB 'Large Logo' Red branded 90s, 019, 028 and 035 are all really nice liveries, I may be tempted to opt for a Freightliner orange 90, or two to work some intermodal trains given that the Freightliner 90s work a larger amount of services and diagrams, rather than just the one service that the DB 90s appear to do. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Hi Danny,

I would take a look here: http://www.class90electriclocogroup.co.uk/dbcargo_class90s.html and https://cnelg.wordpress.com/category/daily-gen-reports/.

HTH.

Roy

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi all, 

I wonder if anyone could help me please? 

I don't wish to divert the topic to the prototype 90s but I have a couple of questions regarding their current duties, as I am sure that myself along with many others expects that Bachmann will release another batch of 90s next year. So the answers to these questions will inform which models I decide to buy in OO Gauge. 

Currently, is the only duty for the active DB 90s the Mossend to Daventry and return Daventry to Mossend Malcolm intermodal service? Also, if their are other regular services and/or regular ad hoc services that are currently worked by DB 90s please could someone tell me the information for these particular trains and services?

Also does anyone know how long DB have had the Malcolm intermodal contract for? I know that the specially branded 90024 was vinyled a few years ago now, so I am assuning that the contract had already commenced when 90024 gained it's Malcolm livery. 

I ask because if the Malcolm intermodal service is the only regular work that the DB 90s currently have, I am just wondering how much I would want to operate this train in OO, and the cost of a pair of 90s to work this train, and if it would be efficient buying two DB 90s for just one train for them to work. Although the Malcolm 90024, DB Glider 90037 and DB 'Large Logo' Red branded 90s, 019, 028 and 035 are all really nice liveries, I may be tempted to opt for a Freightliner orange 90, or two to work some intermodal trains given that the Freightliner 90s work a larger amount of services and diagrams, rather than just the one service that the DB 90s appear to do. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Hi Danny,

The DB90s as you have observed are primarily working with the Malcolm logistics services. Aside from that the following works are done by DB90s

(2) There are two, 90020 and 90029 down at Wembley at the moment with the GC MK4s.

(3) 90035 is currently in Leicester assisting with the testing of the OHLE for the Midland mainline having previously undertaken works on the GWML electrification.

(4) Further more and less frequently doing heritage train workings doing the electric sections of these journeys in the same way that 86259 Les Ross does also.

(5) DB90s occasionally get tasked with Thunderbird movements on the WCML.

(6) Previously they had been working on the Caledonian sleeper towards the end of the EWS contract.

Finally, the Malcolm contract I believe was due to run out this year. I hope as a DB90 follower, this gets renewed, I do feel DB could be doing more to keep it though by having 90s on all of the schedule slots rather than just some with 66s doing what seems like more - after all Malcolm's slogan Greener Cleaner logistics services - hopefully a new contract with DB will see another Malcolm Rail liveried 90, which wasnt done at the start as such, that was reliveried in 2016. The contract had already been running several years prior to this.

You can follow their progress in my YouTube channel Johnson Street IEMD.

PS .. I'll be out later to catch Jack and Bill on 4m25.

Kind regards 

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

4 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

Hi Danny,

The DB90s as you have observed are primarily working with the Malcolm logistics services. Aside from that the following works are done by DB90s

(2) There are two, 90020 and 90029 down at Wembley at the moment with the GC MK4s.

(3) 90035 is currently in Leicester assisting with the testing of the OHLE for the Midland mainline having previously undertaken works on the GWML electrification.

(4) Further more and less frequently doing heritage train workings doing the electric sections of these journeys in the same way that 86259 Les Ross does also.

(5) DB90s occasionally get tasked with Thunderbird movements on the WCML.

(6) Previously they had been working on the Caledonian sleeper towards the end of the EWS contract.

Finally, the Malcolm contract I believe was due to run out this year. I hope as a DB90 follower, this gets renewed, I do feel DB could be doing more to keep it though by having 90s on all of the schedule slots rather than just some with 66s doing what seems like more - after all Malcolm's slogan Greener Cleaner logistics services - hopefully a new contract with DB will see another Malcolm Rail liveried 90, which wasnt done at the start as such, that was reliveried in 2016. The contract had already been running several years prior to this.

You can follow their progress in my YouTube channel Johnson Street IEMD.

PS .. I'll be out later to catch Jack and Bill on 4m25.

Kind regards 

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD 

Thank you both very much for the replies and the info. It's greatly appreciated. 

I wasn't aware of the two gen sites, so that's excellent because I will be sure to check on those regularly from now to give me an insight into the workings of the DB 90s. It's good to see that they have had some varied work in the recent past, even if they may not be that busy at the moment. It's also good to hear that the Malcolm contract has been running for several years with DB now, and hopefully the contract will be renewed/extended this year. Is 90036 Jack? Which one is Bill?

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

On 19/11/2020 at 14:36, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thank you both very much for the replies and the info. It's greatly appreciated. 

I wasn't aware of the two gen sites, so that's excellent because I will be sure to check on those regularly from now to give me an insight into the workings of the DB 90s. It's good to see that they have had some varied work in the recent past, even if they may not be that busy at the moment. It's also good to hear that the Malcolm contract has been running for several years with DB now, and hopefully the contract will be renewed/extended this year. Is 90036 Jack? Which one is Bill?

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

90018 Bellshill

90019 Multimodal 

90024 Malcolm

90028 Bill

90034 DB Blue

90036 Jack

90037 Christine

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD 

20200520_200550.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DBC90024 said:

90018 Bellshill

90019 Multimodal 

90024 Malcolm

90028 Bill

90034 DB Blue

90036 Jack

90037 Christine

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD 

20200520_200550.jpg

That's a lovely close up of a DB Red 90!

Thank you for confirming the names. For some reason Jack aka 90036 is the only one I tend to remember. 

I'm glad that you saw the 90s on the Malcolm train. Did you manage to see it earlier this week and last week when both specials 90024 and 90037 were on it together?

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

52 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

That's a lovely close up of a DB Red 90!

Thank you for confirming the names. For some reason Jack aka 90036 is the only one I tend to remember. 

I'm glad that you saw the 90s on the Malcolm train. Did you manage to see it earlier this week and last week when both specials 90024 and 90037 were on it together?

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

What, you mean you still haven't subscribed to my YouTube channel Johnson Street IEMD Danny ? following the life and times of the DB90 and its lesser classmates (sheds, dysons, tugs, and whatever 67s go by lol), other 90s and how they all fit in at Johnson Street IEMD.

Of course I saw them and I saw the following rotation of Bill and Jack who followed Malcolm and Christine :-)

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

Edited by DBC90024
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Thank you Tom, seems somewhat appropriate for them lol. Useful but limited lol...

They would have been ideal for what they were designed for!

I'd have thought they'd have been worth regearing to be honest, I'd expect that would make them more useful.

2 hours ago, Squirrel Rail said:

Just reading latest news on WNXX and it suggests 90039s repaint may produce something of interest- any ideas anyone? 

Yes Jerry, we were talking about it on Crewe railcam YouTube page last night ... here's hoping its Malcolm 90 number two ... but according to Rail issue 916, it was due to be fine in dbc red, which makes me think it's going to be like the key workers db66 66113... which would okay or a thank you nhs like is it the gbrf one?

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD 

Edited by DBC90024
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Squirrel Rail said:

My long burn 90034 has finally got ready for a light weathering- here’s a pic of it clean for those who like shiny! Couple more pics on my workbench tooF2698692-4DFC-4D7D-8BD4-F050B4E0934C.jpeg.c3e29e6c818da1557ff5296c61aa437f.jpeg

A ha. my first Bachmann DB90 re-livery, @Squirrel Rail -stylee

This looks really good Jerry !!!

This is the first retake on one of my DB90s by someone other than the original reliverier and its also one of my favourites in the active DB 90 pool, i have nicknamed it DB Blue - like BD Wong from Law & Order SVU.

Kat @johnsonstreetIEMD

05_03_20 - 90034 @ Stacton Tressell station - 2.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

A ha. my first Bachmann DB90 re-livery, @Squirrel Rail -stylee

This looks really good Jerry !!!

This is the first retake on one of my DB90s by someone other than the original reliverier and its also one of my favourites in the active DB 90 pool, i have nicknamed it DB Blue - like BD Wong from Law & Order SVU.

Kat @johnsonstreetIEMD

05_03_20 - 90034 @ Stacton Tressell station - 2.jpg

Hi Kat, looks very good - bit dirtier than my one will be! I was looking at the pic and thought what looks different and its the handrails and door handles - you need to break out the silver:paint:

IMG_2369.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Squirrel Rail said:

Hi Kat, looks very good - bit dirtier than my one will be! I was looking at the pic and thought what looks different and its the handrails and door handles - you need to break out the silver:paint:

IMG_2369.jpg

Is this making it's way to a random auction sight then ? It does look nice, that's for sure. I imagine there will be a few suitors for this (aside from me lol), if you'd done Driver Jack Mills I probably would have had to (break out the silver, and the gold :-)   )

Kat @johnsonstreetIEMD

1 hour ago, DBC90024 said:

Is this making it's way to a random auction sight then ? It does look nice, that's for sure. I imagine there will be a few suitors for this (aside from me lol), if you'd done Driver Jack Mills I probably would have had to (break out the silver, and the gold :-)   )

Kat @johnsonstreetIEMD

Hi Kat, this was a commission so it will be off to it’s new home, it will have a couple of other 90s for company so won’t be lonely. DB red will get the Squirrel treatment at somepoint but a bit busy at the mo hence 90046 is still staring at me begging to be finished! Cheers Jerry

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Squirrel Rail said:

Hi Kat, this was a commission so it will be off to it’s new home, it will have a couple of other 90s for company so won’t be lonely. DB red will get the Squirrel treatment at somepoint but a bit busy at the mo hence 90046 is still staring at me begging to be finished! Cheers Jerry

"it will have a couple of other 90s for company so won’t be lonely."

Hmmmmmm, mostly wearing Freightliner... I'm guessing !!! At a layout ending ".... road" :-)

@Squirrel Rail

• Funny 1