Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

Grand Central livery Squirrel Style. As there had been a few of these floating about I wasn't in a hurry to do it but it was on my list of liveries to do.  I had posted pics of it earlier in it's paint job and was planning on unbranded and weathered as it is running now but was asked to do it ex-paint shop with full branding so here it is:

IMG_3189.jpg.128e505688281cb29ceb2922dcaca3a4.jpg

and from the other side...

IMG_3186.jpg.2a98a8ec8d6f5daae1f1a64149294f78.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, Squirrel Rail said:

Grand Central livery Squirrel Style. As there had been a few of these floating about I wasn't in a hurry to do it but it was on my list of liveries to do.  I had posted pics of it earlier in it's paint job and was planning on unbranded and weathered as it is running now but was asked to do it ex-paint shop with full branding so here it is:

IMG_3189.jpg.128e505688281cb29ceb2922dcaca3a4.jpg

and from the other side...

IMG_3186.jpg.2a98a8ec8d6f5daae1f1a64149294f78.jpg

Its without doubt a great 90 livery, it's a shame about the circumstances of the real world GC 90s but in a world of fictional worlds, the GC90s are a great option, a real livery when never ran in a fair paying sense

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Their timing was very bad luck .

Is the operation totally scrubbed or are they coming back post covid ?

It's not looking good, Bumblebee1 (90026), 2 (90029) and 3 (90020) as I refer to them are all back at Crewe IEMD in unbranded form, I believe the Mk4s and DVTs have been moved to Eastleigh from Wembley Carriage sidings. The two other 90s set to be part of the operations, 90039 and 90021 are also at Crewe, 90039 was recently reliveried into a peculiar black "Backbone livery" and 90021 is still due for a bit of TLC ahead of likely use on the intermodal freight duties for Malcolm logistics, currently 90021 is still in tired EWS first Barbie Scotrail livery

Is it possible they could return. Yes I think its possible but how long they can hang on to or have first refusal on those Mk4s and DVTs and also the availability of the route contract, can this be revived in 2022 ?  I dont see anyone else taking it up before its practically safe to do so and the government would surely be keen to greenlight its return given the economic boost to the area as well as the towns it would serve.

Fingers crossed 

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ll fess up

That GC 90 its mine.

I saw it briefly at Wembley late last year, just before the operation got canned.

For now it’ll be running 90’s style... Using  a GC HST DVT and mk3’s until some new mk4’s arrive on the scene.

Squirrels 90’s are addictive, i’m dodging around which are likely candidates for Bachmann rtr, figured GC wouldn't be one of them, so saw the opportunity to pounce on it.

post covid, it could make a guest appearance on a few layouts on the model show circuit... Squirrels not yet revealed the other one Ive got up his sleeve ;-)

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’ll fess up

That GC 90 its mine.

I saw it briefly at Wembley late last year, just before the operation got canned.

For now it’ll be running 90’s style... Using  a GC HST DVT and mk3’s until some new mk4’s arrive on the scene.

Squirrels 90’s are addictive, i’m dodging around which are likely candidates for Bachmann rtr, figured GC wouldn't be one of them, so saw the opportunity to pounce on it.

post covid, it could make a guest appearance on a few layouts on the model show circuit... Squirrels not yet revealed the other one Ive got up his sleeve ;-)

Glad you fessed up ... LOL ...

I can see the fascination... Jerry does some great work with the 90s.

I have four (Bellshill, Malcolm, Bill and DB Blue) with developments about to occur in the stable. All in DB and three with sound so i am doing okay all things considered.

I plan to have at least another three with Barbie, Bumblebee1 (in ex-GC) and Christine joining the fleet at Johnson Street IEMD. 

All in a year when hopefully the layout will land, Accurascales class 92 also touches down and I am going to need at least one, maybe two of these.

Roll on the days getting longer, warmer and the Alliums coming through.

PS ... You need to get your panto tips sorted... they aren't orangey red on DB90s, that's a Freightliner thing..

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD 

20201026_173029.jpg

Edited by DBC90024
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

Glad you fessed up ... LOL ...

I can see the fascination... Jerry does some great work with the 90s.

I have four (Bellshill, Malcolm, Bill and DB Blue) with developments about to occur in the stable. All in DB and three with sound so i am doing okay all things considered.

I plan to have at least another three with Barbie, Bumblebee1 (in ex-GC) and Christine joining the fleet at Johnson Street IEMD. 

All in a year when hopefully the layout will land, Accurascales class 92 also touches down and I am going to need at least one, maybe two of these.

Roll on the days getting longer, warmer and the Alliums coming through.

PS ... You need to get your panto tips sorted... they aren't orangey red on DB90s, that's a Freightliner thing..

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD 

20201026_173029.jpg

Hi Kat - 90034 has red tips and a yellow bit on its panto ends. Debated changing them on my GC but left it mint!

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Their timing was very bad luck .

Is the operation totally scrubbed or are they coming back post covid ?

Depends where you read about it. I saw in a book the other day it had been deferred, but other things I have read it has been canned altogether.

I suppose it might be that the plan to put things in place on the route still exists when things pick up but they got out of the lease of the stock before they were committed perhaps? If the stock is available if/when they want to try again it may be used?

3 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

Yep ...

Another great example you have there Jerry ...

90036 in Driver Jack Mills DB Cargo "DB minus Schenker livery" ..

I have a feeling you'll be comparing notes with another reliverier soon once again lol ...

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD 

I assumed the one you mention would be heading your way but haven't seen an update from Ben recently, you must post a pic of it with the rest of your fleet!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Squirrel Rail said:

Two more liveries which I have done before but in different number 90017 for RES and a weathered 90130. More pics on my workbench thread,

IMG_3253.jpg.62e4f2f1d1f8e8992b912d9e808da562.jpg

IMG_3256.jpg.abf900c093134cf0050b81c74b5f6cf3.jpg

And SNCF 90130

IMG_3257.jpg.52f936228eb664da5198d0bc26f3eaab.jpg

IMG_3258.jpg.1053a52330c28034bdeb4976c2c398ff.jpg

I think thats probably my two favourite liveries on the 90s right there

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Squirrel Rail said:

I assumed the one you mention would be heading your way but haven't seen an update from Ben recently, you must post a pic of it with the rest of your fleet!

Had the kids for half term so stopped me getting to the workbench ..... normal service resumed from Thursday .......

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, 

I wonder if anyone can help me please? 

I really like the Orange and Black G&W livery on the Freightliner Class 90s. If Bachmann release one in the future, I have a question. Currently 90014 'Over The RainBow' and 90047 wear the orange and black livery in the updated guise, with 90044 wearing the original version with the centralised Freightliner logo on the bodysides. Can anyone tell me if their are any differences on the chassis or the bodies of ex Greater Anglia Class 90s 90003-90015 that are now with Freightliner and 90047? I ask because if for example Bachmann release 90014 or 90047, could I buy more than one model to create two locos through renumbering and renaming or would that be overlooking some differences between these different batches of the 90s? 

Secondly just a thought. The first batch of standard models of Class 90s included 90005, 90037 and 90042. If I ever wanted to could these models be used as base models for resprays to the ex Greater Anglia now Freightliner Class 90s 90003-90015, or are their differences that would mean that this wouldn't be prototypical? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

8 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi all, 

I wonder if anyone can help me please? 

I really like the Orange and Black G&W livery on the Freightliner Class 90s. If Bachmann release one in the future, I have a question. Currently 90014 'Over The RainBow' and 90047 wear the orange and black livery in the updated guise, with 90044 wearing the original version with the centralised Freightliner logo on the bodysides. Can anyone tell me if their are any differences on the chassis or the bodies of ex Greater Anglia Class 90s 90003-90015 that are now with Freightliner and 90047? I ask because if for example Bachmann release 90014 or 90047, could I buy more than one model to create two locos through renumbering and renaming or would that be overlooking some differences between these different batches of the 90s? 

Secondly just a thought. The first batch of standard models of Class 90s included 90005, 90037 and 90042. If I ever wanted to could these models be used as base models for resprays to the ex Greater Anglia now Freightliner Class 90s 90003-90015, or are their differences that would mean that this wouldn't be prototypical? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Hi Danny, 

The horn grilles on the ex GA locos are different and the LED lights. I know that Jerry and some other members were looking at the grille option to hopefully have something made up.

Thanks,

Chris

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, chris37422 said:

Hi Danny, 

The horn grilles on the ex GA locos are different and the LED lights. I know that Jerry and some other members were looking at the grille option to hopefully have something made up.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris, 

Thank you for the reply and the information. I really appreciate it. 

So apart from the horn grilles between the lights on the cab ends and some 90s having LED lights and some not, are their any other differences that you know of, or are these the only differences? 

I ask because I may in the future overlook these differences and have some models resprayed. I doubt that Bachmann will have allowed for different types of lighting to be fitted to the models in order to accurately replicate the prototypes, but they have may tooled for the different horn grilles between the lights. As you say their may be the different horn grilles available in the future, to change these on the models. 

Please can you let me know who Jerry is? Does he have a shop or is he a modeller? Also do you have an email address to contact him? 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

57 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi Chris, 

Thank you for the reply and the information. I really appreciate it. 

So apart from the horn grilles between the lights on the cab ends and some 90s having LED lights and some not, are their any other differences that you know of, or are these the only differences? 

I ask because I may in the future overlook these differences and have some models resprayed. I doubt that Bachmann will have allowed for different types of lighting to be fitted to the models in order to accurately replicate the prototypes, but they have may tooled for the different horn grilles between the lights. As you say their may be the different horn grilles available in the future, to change these on the models. 

Please can you let me know who Jerry is? Does he have a shop or is he a modeller? Also do you have an email address to contact him? 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Danny,

Jerry is @Squirrel Rail

There you go

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD 

• Thanks 1

These two red skodas are what I asked father Christmas for, albeit a little late in the day and it was always going to be a little late into early 2021 that they landed. The thing about red skodas is, they vary in form even in up to the minute form, there are a number of styles and combinations, as per the below:

DB red 90's as of 21st Feb 2021

DB Schenker livery - 90018

DB minus Schenker livery 90s 036 & 040

DB Cargo livery 90s 019, 028 & 035

DB red livery Special Glider livery for 90037, named "Christine"

The decals for the chosen pair 90019 and 90036 weren't immediately available, well 036 was, but 019 wasn't - so there was an initial delay on this  - then just before they landed, the Glider 90 appeared, which we tried to instigate but this just proved too tricky with the decals, so we reverted back to the original plan of Multimodal and Jack which is really the best outcome as it would have been hard saying to leave one if those on the backburner.

Driver Jack Mills 90036 was actually the first repainted Class 90 i had in the Hornby pre Bachmann 90 time, albeit with a different name on it, possibly before Driver Jack was named. As soon as I knew Bachmann were doing the 90, i culled all of my Hornby DB/EWS 90s which I had virtually the entire active 90 pool, opting for less but more higher quality and detailing and new age tech etc etc.

Multimodal 90019 was also the first of the DB90s in to new look DB Cargo red - i had tried to get to see its naming at the NEC, yes, DB took it by truck and lowered it onto tracks inside a hall there for its naming at ... the ''Multimodal '' logistics event. Unfortunately, i had just missed it, but made up for this at York NRM to see 90028 get named into Sir William McAlpine. Going back to 90019, I had this in DB Cargo in Hornby format, having had it rebranded from a very fancy looking modded Hornby Class 90 which had been reliveried into DB Schenker 90018.

Note, the reliverying expert Ben from Bensresprays @cambo74has undertaken this commission and he has said these are very much first drafts and there are a few snagging issues which he will sort before these are finished but they are about 90% right in my opinion.

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

DB 90019 and DB 90036 - Bens Resprays - 19-02-21 - first draft.jpeg

DB 90036 - Bens Resprays - 19-02-21 - first draft.jpeg

Edited by DBC90024
  • Like 2

I just don't get it.

I follow the work being done in this thread on the Class 90's and the beautiful and expert resprays constantly being undertaken but why since its announcement nearly 7 years ago would Bachmann only release 3 Class 90 liveries outside of the Collector's Club which are only good until 2015 (yes you have to update the Freightliner from 2015 to current day) and don't do anymore after that, now bear in mind it's been nearly 3 years since these three were released.

I am genuinely curious as to why this is the case, have Bachmann come to the conclusion that nobody wants to buy anymore new Class 90's thus shelving it (no that wouldn't make any sense) or what else could be the reason since they have the new tooling.

You look at the rate Hornby churn out D&E's at their level of tooling and with Hattons being able to get out 30+ Class 66's and not to mention everybody else releasing loads of Classes with a huge amount of liveries then why is it so difficult for Bachmann to do the same or to a lesser extent and this way of thinking appears to inflict their new Class 20/3 range as well, yes you guessed it only 3 liveries.

Everyone keeps saying 'next quarter they will do more', almost like people wishing to win the lottery but that has been the case for the past 2 years at least.

Anyway, love the work being done on the 90's in this thread.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1