Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

2 minutes ago, XChris said:

I feel like the Powerhaul models have sold better than the IC/RFB models. The bigger retailers only have the IC/RFB, suggesting the FL  ones have sold out. ..

Its the Intercity one that seems to be long-since sold out where prices are less than RRP. RFD and Powerhaul seem to be much more widely available

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Its the Intercity one that seems to be long-since sold out where prices are less than RRP. RFD and Powerhaul seem to be much more widely available

just look at what's on Ebay @XChris there are no shortages of RfD and Powerhaul ones, but ICSwallow ones are comparatively scarce.

Kat :-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 28/06/2021 at 11:51, ash39 said:

I've just had a quick look on Rails of Sheffield website. 2 of the 3 original batch of 90's are still available, 1 is discounted to clear. These have been on sale for 2 years.

So you're proposing they make even more of each model to get the costs down, and at the same time also release more variants/liveries in each run? It just doesn't work. 

To use a football analogy, most top level clubs will release their new home shirt in summer so the fans flock to buy it. Then they release their away shirt a few weeks later, then the third-choice shirt after the season starts. Fans will buy the home shirt because it's available sooner and they want 'a shirt' , but had all 3 dropped at once they might have just picked the away/third kit because they preferred that one. They end up buying both or all three!

I’ve just looked on Rails and the only 90 they have is 037 at £149, the intercity model sold out last year- have you got a different link because if they have 005 I’ll have some!!!

• Like 1

On 28/06/2021 at 10:29, The Black Hat said:

If they do a run in all those variants then they will sell. The ones I listed will be some of the more popular ones wanted, you can always drop back to 2 or 3 runs when you think the demand has been partly satisfied. You can not tell me that some of those 90s would be wanted, especially in liveries that are key more modelling specific time periods, hence RES, EWS and DB. 

I think partly the reason why some do not sell is because there is a number produced that are just DCC ready and in essence analogue. Making more with chips fitted and sound will allow more people to get the model ready to run in the DCC format you want. Pricing is an issue but in making more and selling in volume and at speed you can get a better cashflow return if the price was dropped a touch. Of couse, all this is academic as Bachmann will still just release 2 or 3 per batch and allow those like Squirrel to cash in on the demand for the models Bachmann should have made in the first place. 

I wish Bachmann would produce more liveries as it would suit me as I would much rather be doing renumbering or weathering work than total resprays. There will always be the odd livery that won’t be covered (whatever class we are talking about) and there will always be a demand for these. As a business I provide what customers want -it’s not me cashing in as the margins on a respray aren’t anyway near that of weathering- it’s why a lot of people don’t do them!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, Squirrel Rail said:

I wish Bachmann would produce more liveries as it would suit me as I would much rather be doing renumbering or weathering work than total resprays. There will always be the odd livery that won’t be covered (whatever class we are talking about) and there will always be a demand for these. As a business I provide what customers want -it’s not me cashing in as the margins on a respray aren’t anyway near that of weathering- it’s why a lot of people don’t do them!

Agreed @Squirrel Rail - as good as your work is ... I'd rather send you a Schenker 90 to re-brand into CB Hall (90035) or Lasta Oftaclass (90040) ... or an EWS one, to re-number and make tired/ weathered - or even a Grand Central one, to make into an ex-GC.

• Agree 1

I suspect the reason we havn’t seen more liveries announced yet is because of the problems with the first lot we had - broken bogies, servo problems and problems with Class 90 decoders as well. In particular, I had bad luck with their decoders but never had anything else. 

I'm sure new liveries will come. We all just have to be patient and see. Virgin and Freightliner Orange I’m almost certain will be in the next batch of liveries. I’d say EWS would be a good guess too. But again, we just need to wait and see. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, WrattingRoad said:

I suspect the reason we haven’t seen more liveries announced yet is because of the problems with the first lot we had - broken bogies, servo problems and problems with Class 90 decoders as well. In particular, I had bad luck with their decoders but never had anything else. 

I'm sure new liveries will come. We all just have to be patient and see. Virgin and Freightliner Orange I’m almost certain will be in the next batch of liveries. I’d say EWS would be a good guess too. But again, we just need to wait and see. 

I agree that they will be looking to re-engineer some of the parts which caused us (& therefore them) issues.

I am sure we will see more in time.

They also have many more models in their range & will only be able to produce so many each quarter, so it could simply be a matter of waiting in turn for the next run of class 90s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, WrattingRoad said:

I suspect the reason we havn’t seen more liveries announced yet is because of the problems with the first lot we had - broken bogies, servo problems and problems with Class 90 decoders as well. In particular, I had bad luck with their decoders but never had anything else. 

I will be pretty grumpy if they do another Freightliner one before a DB/EWS era liveried one comes out, that's just not fair ... lol ... technically, there are already two Freightliner ones, with the RfD one easily becoming a Freightliner livery of just about three weeks ago :-)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

Agreed @Squirrel Rail - as good as your work is ... I'd rather send you a Schenker 90 to re-brand into CB Hall (90035) or Lasta Oftaclass (90040) ... or an EWS one, to re-number and make tired/ weathered - or even a Grand Central one, to make into an ex-GC.

I too love Jerry’s work, he has completed 2x Powerhaul 90045 90049 (renumber, weather and detail) and 90047 in battered grey with Green door, which I still to do this day think is the finest model I have ever owned.

So much so that I have requested him to do 90043 and 90048 in grey for me :)

Although not in possession of a crystal ball, I would imagine a FL orange one will be in the next batch. At the time of the launch of the 90 and the Powerhaul one, Bachmann talked about their good working relationship with FL. 90042 not long finished off at LNWR was a but daft in my eyes, 90045 or 90049 would have been better choices for that scheme IMHO having carried since 2010.

A toss up between RES, Virgin and EWS as other contenders in my (non-expert) eyes!

Enjoy your models folks!

Chris

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I agree that they will be looking to re-engineer some of the parts which caused us (& therefore them) issues.

I am sure we will see more in time.

They also have many more models in their range & will only be able to produce so many each quarter, so it could simply be a matter of waiting in turn for the next run of class 90s.

very much in agreement. If Bachmann are working on some engineering issues perhaps they could swap out the servo for something more quieter while they’re at it! Perhaps Accurascale will let them borrow some being used in the 92 :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

16 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

My biggest bugbear on what is otherwise a fantastic loco that I'd like more of is the fact you can't program decoders inside the bloomin' thing. I have to transplant them into another loco to program which is a nuisance.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 28/06/2021 at 15:46, TomScrut said:

90037 came out of RFD in 2001, although it wasn't in great condition in 1998 (i.e. not like the model anyway)

90037 was numbered 90137 from 1991 to 1999. This is what it looked like in August 1998.

4153_1.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

My biggest bugbear on what is otherwise a fantastic loco that I'd like more of is the fact you can't program decoders inside the bloomin' thing. I have to transplant them into another loco to program which is a nuisance.

If that's right it explains the problems I've been having!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, letterspider said:

If that's right it explains the problems I've been having!

Something to do with the circuit board design prevents at least some combinations of decoder/controller from programming. Not sure if it's a universal issue or specific to certain ones. I read about it a while back somewhere.

I use ESU decoders with a Z21 and no dice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

If that. It entered service in April 1990 and was renumbered in July 1991.

Seems a bit of a daft choice then really, surely when picking livery/no combinations manufacturers research what years they are relevant to knowing that some of the market really care about this stuff?

I know some will buy it anyway because they like it or assume it is in era for them.

Almost everything I buy I do some research to make sure the livery etc. is there or thereabouts for the period I am interested (2019-present)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

thats odd. I’ve never had any problems programming any of mine, whether it’s the standard Bachmann decoder for the 90 or Biffo sound. I have a Gaugemaster prodigy Advanced2 so whether that’s something to do with it… I’ve had some decoders have a meltdown and nearly explode but that’s about it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WILLIAM said:

If that. It entered service in April 1990 and was renumbered in July 1991.

Not to mention the TDM cables fitted in their original position, the coach rubbing plates and cut buffers - it’s a very limited timespan!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Its as delivered condition,

I was very lucky to see several on delivery, or pre-delivery testing. Often their first passenger workings were Crewe-Manchester legs of longer distance services, and spent a number times riding them.

Limited maybe, but they were used on passenger work at that point quite often.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WrattingRoad said:

yes on ESU, think he only uses them but might be wrong.

Thought so. Thinking about it it might be when using a Lokprogrammer it doesn't play ball, or whether it's to do with the Z21 needing handshake on the motor pulsing to acknowledge the program or something

• Like 1

23 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Its as delivered condition,

I was very lucky to see several on delivery, or pre-delivery testing. Often their first passenger workings were Crewe-Manchester legs of longer distance services, and spent a number times riding them.

Limited maybe, but they were used on passenger work at that point quite often.

I used to work next to Euston and picked a few of them up on passenger back then as they were being delivered, nice livery and in the as built condition but a very narrow operating window.

• Like 2