Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

Driver Jack Mills at Chester's Making Tracks

This weekend saw me taking a trip to Chester Cathedral's Making Tracks event - where i took Jack and Bill along to potentially run as a consist with some intermodal wagons, well, it turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax with me not realising the significance of my CVs being set up for such running characteristics, anyway, I spoke to my main man @amertonman and he's going to configure Bill and AN other ready - and we'll go again, this time, a bit better set up for such. It wasn't a complete failure however with @cambo74 's take on Driver Jack Mills (90036) making it round one lap of the layout, seen here

and:

All in all, it was an interesting experience, i learnt a little about being a volunteer at an exhibition, one which I found rewarding, I also learnt a lot about the team dynamic - and finally, it was pointed out to me that my locos needed configuring for the actual operations they're to be undertaking.

Kat @JohnsonstreetIEMD

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

Driver Jack Mills at Chester's Making Tracks

This weekend saw me taking a trip to Chester Cathedral's Making Tracks event - where i took Jack and Bill along to potentially run as a consist with some intermodal wagons, well, it turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax with me not realising the significance of my CVs being set up for such running characteristics, anyway, I spoke to my main man @amertonman and he's going to configure Bill and AN other ready - and we'll go again, this time, a bit better set up for such. It wasn't a complete failure however with @cambo74 's take on Driver Jack Mills (90036) making it round one lap of the layout, seen here

and:

All in all, it was an interesting experience, i learnt a little about being a volunteer at an exhibition, one which I found rewarding, I also learnt a lot about the team dynamic - and finally, it was pointed out to me that my locos needed configuring for the actual operations they're to be undertaking.

Kat @JohnsonstreetIEMD

I think that 90 needs it windows cleaned before anything!

• Round of applause 1

Malcolm (90024) and Multimodal (90019) at Making Tracks on Blue Cement and eventually Malcolm Rail as wel - 7th August 2021.

Third time lucky at Chester's Making tracks exhibition which is open till 3rd September and well worth seeing if you aren't too far away from Chester. First time round I'd been stuck in traffic and just missed them, second time round, was biesieged with CV problems and ''so called poor'' intermodal wagons, third time lucky, and despite a wave of criticism from some quarters, Malcolm and Multimodal got to do a lap with the intermodals - and they looked great - we didnt manage to get as far as double heading but it was great getting to see the 90s in their natural habitat - the only shame being that there were none already present with a number of BR blue Class 86s and 87s on duty ...

well done boys... this is what I had waited several months to get to see. We didnt get our luck with the weather this time but having seen the below, my enthusiasm wasnt going to be washed away.

Malcolm 90024 on Blue Circle Cement

Malcolm on Malcolm Rail

Multimodal on Malcolm Rail

Edited by DBC90024
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GordonC said:

Only the collectors club SNCB blue and yellow one

And I think that makes 3/4 releases all relevant to one particular time, then a skip of about 15 years then the FL one being relevant until present day (barring some subtle differences in markings)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

How come?

They look great to me!

I think they may have had a few derailment issues, therefore all Bachmann intermodals were so, mine went round and were fine in the end ... as did the Bachmann 90s, Jack, Multimodal and Malcolm - im just glad they were given the chance to - i had put this rake together for this show and exhibitions were modern OLE is modelled and well, they did look great with the DB90s, well, i think they did, even if they didnt lol ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

And I think that makes 3/4 releases all relevant to one particular time, then a skip of about 15 years then the FL one being relevant until present day (barring some subtle differences in markings)

I think instead of doing RfD, they should have done EWS, so they would have covered much more of the era - the EWS ones would have been more popular than RfD and would probably have sold out. I remember coming across someone once selling a set of Hornby EWS 90s that he had repainted, as in about six or seven, various numbers all in EWS. The RfD ones are mostly getting repainted i think LOL...

• Agree 1

On 07/08/2021 at 19:36, DBC90024 said:

Malcolm (90024) and Multimodal (90019) at Making Tracks on Blue Cement and eventually Malcolm Rail as wel - 7th August 2021.

Third time lucky at Chester's Making tracks exhibition which is open till 3rd September and well worth seeing if you aren't too far away from Chester. First time round I'd been stuck in traffic and just missed them, second time round, was biesieged with CV problems and ''so called poor'' intermodal wagons, third time lucky, and despite a wave of criticism from some quarters, Malcolm and Multimodal got to do a lap with the intermodals - and they looked great - we didnt manage to get as far as double heading but it was great getting to see the 90s in their natural habitat - the only shame being that there were none already present with a number of BR blue Class 86s and 87s on duty ...

well done boys... this is what I had waited several months to get to see. We didnt get our luck with the weather this time but having seen the below, my enthusiasm wasnt going to be washed away.

Malcolm 90024 on Blue Circle Cement

Malcolm on Malcolm Rail

Multimodal on Malcolm Rail

Those do look great Kat, should get some of my FLs and my pretendolino to zoom up and down the layout. Hopefully, He’ll let me at GETS :rolleyes:

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, DBC90024 said:

I think they may have had a few derailment issues, therefore all Bachmann intermodals were so, mine went round and were fine in the end ... as did the Bachmann 90s, Jack, Multimodal and Malcolm - im just glad they were given the chance to - i had put this rake together for this show and exhibitions were modern OLE is modelled and well, they did look great with the DB90s, well, i think they did, even if they didnt lol ...

Thing is, 9 times out of 10 (on my layout) if I put some stock on that hasn't been on before and it details, there is actually a minor issue with the track that the stock has uncovered. I can't think of a time that has purely been the stocks fault IMO.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2021 at 19:54, WrattingRoad said:

Those do look great Kat, should get some of my FLs and my pretendolino to zoom up and down the layout. Hopefully, He’ll let me at GETS :rolleyes:

Thanks Jack @WrattingRoad, they'll look even better when i get the older style ones rebranded as is the plan via Steve @railtec-models - thing is - they look okay here - but i want them looking perfect - Hornby do a Malcolm box-set but its the current branding but the wrong size as a 40ft and a 20ft - why not just get them right first time as a 45ft and 50ft set? - shame  - Dapol and Bachmann have better sized ones but the older branding now looking dated - Oxford do good boxes also but i am not sure that the colour is right - where the rake does look good, is the Malcolm service variety - i had hoped to get them sorted in time for Chester but possibly maybe GETS or a future OLE exhibition.

I thought Hornby Magazine were running this one - but now, i dont think so ?

I, sorry one of the Skoda clan, rather .... may just put in an appearance here too, 

Kat :-)

Edited by DBC90024

On 09/08/2021 at 19:09, DBC90024 said:

I think instead of doing RfD, they should have done EWS, so they would have covered much more of the era - the EWS ones would have been more popular than RfD and would probably have sold out. I remember coming across someone once selling a set of Hornby EWS 90s that he had repainted, as in about six or seven, various numbers all in EWS. The RfD ones are mostly getting repainted i think LOL...

I think the RFD will have been popular, of those done first. Intercity is a classic livery but was also fortuitously done by LSL meaning that the current scene suddenly had an opening for one or two. Powerhaul I expect will have been the least popular given its shorter timespan and only applied to a few class 90s rather than all that were operated by Freightliner. 

Of those to do - EWS should be near top of the list along with RES and if you were clever 90024 in GNER blue as a tie in for the forthcoming GNER Mk. 4 stock from Hornby.  

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

I think the RFD will have been popular, of those done first. Intercity is a classic livery but was also fortuitously done by LSL meaning that the current scene suddenly had an opening for one or two. Powerhaul I expect will have been the least popular given its shorter timespan and only applied to a few class 90s rather than all that were operated by Freightliner. 

Of those to do - EWS should be near top of the list along with RES and if you were clever 90024 in GNER blue as a tie in for the forthcoming GNER Mk. 4 stock from Hornby.  

Its an interesting one .. @The Black Hat of the three launch 90s .. yes Powerhaul and IC Swallow are current, albeit cos of LSL .. yet despite this .. RfD and Powerhaul are both stated as available by Bachmann and widely available.. IMHO there's nothing to indicate that RfD is or more popular than Powerhaul..  i imagine for the Era8-9ers that rfd gets the vote.. for the 10-11ers like me Powerhaul gets the vote... 

Kat :-)

On 20/08/2021 at 09:55, The Black Hat said:

you were clever 90024 in GNER blue as a tie in for the forthcoming GNER Mk. 4 stock from Hornby.  

I do often wonder if manufacturers deliberately avoid this sort of thing simply as it suggests an element of helping the opposition or whether they target this in terms of mutual benefit.

On 20/08/2021 at 17:50, DBC90024 said:

i imagine for the Era8-9ers that rfd gets the vote.. for the 10-11ers like me Powerhaul gets the vote...

Exactly. The thing I don't understand is why they ignored the period of time between 2000 and 2013, yet did two from the 90s. Couldn't an EWS one could have pretty much have covered 2000-present if they had chosen the right one?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Exactly. The thing I don't understand is why they ignored the period of time between 2000 and 2013, yet did two from the 90s. Couldn't an EWS one could have pretty much have covered 2000-present if they had chosen the right one?

Which one did you have in mind? @TomScrut  90017, 90023, 90030, 90031 or 90032 ???

I'd have been happy with 90030

Edited by DBC90024

48 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Which one did you have in mind? @TomScrut  90017, 90023, 90030, 90031 or 90032 ???

I'd have been happy with 90030

None in particular, simply wondering about the choices they made.

I'd probably not have an EWS one anyway.

I'd love a DB one, either plain red, GC or one of the celebs. I think 039 would be my preference!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...