Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

On 04/09/2021 at 15:46, letterspider said:

Excellent work Jerry.

Surely Bachmann have missed a trick by overlooking the EWS livery.

C'mon Bachmann - WE WANT AN EWS 90 FOR CHRSTMAS!

I doubt they overlooked it.

They could only make their first batch so big, otherwise it could be money sitting in warehouses, so they decided to make 3 variations. The 3 which they felt had the combined best selling potential, which apparently was InterCity, original RF & FL Powerhaul. I think they chose Powerhaul because it did not overlap with the others, which gave it selling potential.

So which ones will be the next?

EWS

Virgin

Mainline

Revised RfD

RfD with the early Freightliner logos

Original Freightliner green

My guess is they will do 3 again: 3 with what they believe have the combined largest appeal.

Alternatively, you could think of it as the first batch having a few issues & the EWS one (when it arrives) will an updated version with less problems.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
Addenum
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, letterspider said:

This Class will be extinct if they keep as waiting any longer, we may be too

Very amusing @letterspider

I doubt Freightliner will let that happen, at the rate they are tango-ing Skodas, 90006 the latest to visit Wolverton ...

DB also might have something to say about it

Surely @Pete the Elaner a DB era one is needed in that list as well, ex-EWS, DBS, DB, DBC, Malcolm, Grand Central etc etc

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD :-)

16 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I doubt they overlooked it.

They could only make their first batch so big, otherwise it could be money sitting in warehouses, so they decided to make 3 variations. The 3 which they felt had the combined best selling potential, which apparently was InterCity, original RF & FL Powerhaul. I think they chose Powerhaul because it did not overlap with the others, which gave it selling potential.

So which ones will be the next?

EWS

Virgin

Mainline

Revised RfD

RfD with the early Freightliner logos

Original Freightliner green

My guess is they will do 3 again: 3 with what they believe have the combined largest appeal.

Alternatively, you could think of it as the first batch having a few issues & the EWS one (when it arrives) will an updated version with less problems.

RES has to be a big gap, that would be a big seller

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

What we want depends on the commercial realities…

Why make more to add to the existing pile ?

I know Squirrels respraying the existing ones as fast as he can but we need to buy up the leftovers first batch before asking for more I would have thought ?

2.5 years since the first batch entered our lives and 3 out of 4 are still on shelves

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

@martin_l_jones yep, certainly with the RfD one, it's interesting seeing their approach as opposed to Accurascales who are covering the main Class 92 livieries in one fell swoop. Folks may want different running numbers of similar liveries with the Dysons but thats easily remedied. I would like an EWS liveried 90 but it isnt going to be the same as any of the three above in Jerry's picture.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

@martin_l_jones yep, certainly with the RfD one, it's interesting seeing their approach as opposed to Accurascales who are covering the main Class 92 livieries in one fell swoop. Folks may want different running numbers of similar liveries with the Dysons but thats easily remedied. I would like an EWS liveried 90 but it isnt going to be the same as any of the three above in Jerry's picture.

Rfd is probably the longest lasting livery !

I dont think there was anything wrong with any of the choices.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

2.5 years since the first batch entered our lives and 3 out of 4 are still on shelves

I don't think it is entirely fair to include the CC one, quite a lot of CC models linger around, they are generally niche and more expensive than standard releases even before discount.

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Rfd is probably the longest lasting livery !

EWS I expect is longest lasting but I am sure somebody will actually know. If you're talking of the releases then probably although it was faded for a long time IIRC.

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I dont think there was anything wrong with any of the choices.

Leaving 15 ish years out of 30 ish years of loco life probably didn't help. There isn't a relevant livery for around 1998-2014 (dates IIRC) yet there was two for the first 10 years and it's debateable as to whether DB would outperform it.

FWIW I have 1, 90042, as I have no interest in the liveries from the 90s, so I have done my bit!

Too many abbreviations in my humble opinion LOL

As for too many Skodas, that isnt possible, beyond 50, of course, lol ... I have several also, but still await the day when Bachmann do an applicable livery for my genre/era.

Please dont make another Freightliner one, before you do an EWS or DB one Bachmann !!!

15 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

I'm not sure why the RfD one is being picked on here, it might not be to your personal taste, but its a decent choice of livery to produce.

It will have been carried by more than half the class (90021+), in both 90/0 numbers and 90/1s for extra numbering options, seen use on WCML and ECML, passenger, freight and postal workings. Model companies can be bad for producing one-offs and special liveries, but its good to get widespread liveries too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

37 minutes ago, letterspider said:

I have just asked Bachmann if they are producing the EWS livery or whether I should get a respray done

I expect you will get a very non committal answer (and understandably so). Something along the lines of "Whilst we do not have one in our current announcements, please keep an eye out for our quarterly announcements for further news". If they are doing one and they want the public to know then we would know already.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

"We have not announced any further Class 90s at present and we now announce new products on a quarterly basis via our British Railway Announcements and only when new models are within three months of release. The best advice that I can give is to keep a lookout for future announcements for details of any new items that may be of interest to you".

I think I am reading to much into this but why should the best advice be to keep a lookout for future announcements - when I told them I was thinking about getting a respray done ...?

Wishful thinking ... I know! However it is useful we can see how the model might look thanks to the resprays showcased on this website..

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

47 minutes ago, letterspider said:

why should the best advice be to keep a lookout for future announcements - when I told them I was thinking about getting a respray done ...?

All they can say is "look out for future releases", they can't really do right for doing wrong when talking about the respray without disclosing information they will want to keep confidential.There is no good reason for them to advise you on a respray other than the sale of 1 loco:

1. Any opinion either way on do/don't get a respray could be regarded incorrectly as a response as to what they have planned. If they told you to get a respray you'd be annoyed if they announced one in November/February/2 years time/10 years time. If they didn't, you would be annoyed they told you not to get one.
  2. The quality of the respray is not under their control and therefore they are best off not giving advice at all on the matter.
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

"Whilst we do not have one in our current announcements, please keep an eye out for our quarterly announcements for further news"

I pretty much nailed that didn't I?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, letterspider said:

Why not just tell it like it is?

"We don't have any new liveries in the current quarter - we do not (or cannot) reveal details about many or all of our current projects until 3 months before release"

Yes but you already knew that, if that's what you wanted to know then why did you ask!?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, letterspider said:

Because I was hoping they would slip up of course!

21 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Now - I encourage other members to 'try it on' as well

Please stop using RMweb as a vehicle for stupid behaviour.

You can go back on the moderation queue.

• Like 1

• Administrators
16 hours ago, letterspider said:

Because I was hoping they would slip up of course!

21 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Now - I encourage other members to 'try it on' as well - maybe they will reveal...something...and if not they may just relent and start producing the liveries we are asking for??!!!

You mean the liveries YOU are asking for. It's unlikely that you have access to Bachmann's e-mail, so you have no idea what other people are asking for. Nor do you have access to their sales figures to work out what is shifting off the shelves. It's in the firms interests to produce stuff that sells after all.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Now - I encourage other members to 'try it on' as well - maybe they will reveal...something...and if not they may just relent and start producing the liveries we are asking for??!!!

They will produce models which they believe will sell best.

When they believe the time is right for a new batch of 90s, they will make them.

They will choose the liveries they believe will sell best.

I don't think many saw the class 47 coming. How many more surprises have they got waiting to be sprung upon us, all of which will delay any new class 90s?

What they won't do is choose a livery based on one or 2 enquiries even though they believe something else may sell better.

This may come as a shock, but the potential customers in this conversation make up a minority.

There are those who buy what they like the look of when they see it, others who have never heard of this forum, those who know of it but are put off by the constant bickering & those that may visit once in a while.

With a quarterly announcement policy, there is no chance they are going to answer individual queries about the potential release of a specific model. You really were wasting your time asking them in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1