Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

It is interesting that they have changed the DCC chip and also changed the servo motor too, I will have to remember that if I duplicate the settings from my other 90!

I can think of 3 possibilities for this:

The original proved unreliable & created too many returns/repairs.

Availability of the original one is an issue.

A new, cheaper one has become available.

I would like to think that the new batch has had some revisions made to address some issues.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I can think of 3 possibilities for this:

The original proved unreliable & created too many returns/repairs.

Availability of the original one is an issue.

A new, cheaper one has become available.

Yes I expect it will be one of those three, I don't see any other reason (since the old one worked fine with ESU decoders). Maybe this one is less prone to lunching itself if incorrectly configured on the decoder?

26 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I would like to think that the new batch has had some revisions made to address some issues.

Maybe that is why they took a while to do some more?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes I expect it will be one of those three, I don't see any other reason (since the old one worked fine with ESU decoders). Maybe this one is less prone to lunching itself if incorrectly configured on the decoder?

Were there not complaints about how noisy the servo was? Perhaps the new one is quieter?

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

It makes more sense to fic issues than plough on with more models which share the same faults.

They also have a lot of other models in their range; big four, BR steam, early diesels. The class 47 would have taken some effort & that was a major release.

AC electrics never used to be known as a good seller.

Some more class 90s may have been eagerly awaited by some of us, but I doubt that we represent a large cross-section of modellers. There are many others who would like to see he models they want.

Well now I have some 90s, I will be happy for the next 18 months :D

I need to complete my layout in steam era & re-build the scenic section with OLE anyway 

• Like 1

Well I'm very happy that the FL ones have been done. I'm a bit sad to not see an EWS/DB release. But maybe we might see them in the summer release. In the meantime that's another two that will head for my collection!

5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Likewise, but as is said above it might not be their fault.

I do think though (other than 48 being weathered) that if picking two FL 90s to do they are good choices. Both cover a wide range of time (48 was like that for over 20 years wasn't it?).

It’s a good choice, the Zero injuries logos narrow it down but they are easily removed, likewise the painted over scars from the BR arrows and depot plaques but minor things to resolve. Mainline livery again narrow period with those TDM cables but great to see Virgin and  plain green. As for EWS and DB strange when it’s on their 66s……

• Like 2

Just an observation (not a moan; promise!!!)...

I'm sure when the Bachmann 90s first appeared, they were around £170/180. So now, not even three years later, they're up by about 25-35%. And a lot of models have gone up a lot in recent years. It's quite interesting to see how much models are increasing over and above inflation. Obviously inflation is measured on certain essential goods and services, not model railways, but it would be interesting to hear an expert's view on what particular elements have led to such big price hikes in the hobby...

Anyway, as I said earlier, very much looking forward to these. Cheers Bachmann!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, VXDH92 said:

Just an observation (not a moan; promise!!!)...

I'm sure when the Bachmann 90s first appeared, they were around £170/180. So now, not even three years later, they're up by about 25-35%. And a lot of models have gone up a lot in recent years. It's quite interesting to see how much models are increasing over and above inflation. Obviously inflation is measured on certain essential goods and services, not model railways, but it would be interesting to hear an expert's view on what particular elements have led to such big price hikes in the hobby...

Anyway, as I said earlier, very much looking forward to these. Cheers Bachmann!

But, inflation in China over that period is about 16% (compounded), the cost of raw materials has risen as have wages. Overall, 25%-35% is pretty fair. 

Don’t  forget any business has to get a return on its investment, otherwise you may as well just stick your money in the bank. If costs go up, so does the profit margin as you are still looking for a % profit. Further, money invested costs money. When I was first at work, any money spent on a project was borrowed from the company, with interest applied. My margin was not worked out until the project costs, including this interest were determined. Many companies still operate such a model. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

But, inflation in China over that period is about 16% (compounded), the cost of raw materials has risen as have wages. Overall, 25%-35% is pretty fair. 

Don’t  forget any business has to get a return on its investment, otherwise you may as well just stick your money in the bank. If costs go up, so does the profit margin as you are still looking for a % profit. Further, money invested costs money. When I was first at work, any money spent on a project was borrowed from the company, with interest applied. My margin was not worked out until the project costs, including this interest were determined. Many companies still operate such a model. 

Roy

I suppose there must be a school of thought that if inflation stays much higher in China than for example the UK for a number of years, eventually it could become attractive to manufacture goods in the UK. Lots of ifs and buts of course...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Looking forward to the VT Class 90 although the cost of models as we know hurts the wallet more comparable to wages each and every year. I know some are wondering where we are going\will it slow? Could we be looking at RRP of non-sound locos being £300 within 2 years? Given Bachmann raise prices 10% plus each and every year IIRC and have done for what getting on 10 years now?

I do get the reasons given for the rises but I still dont see how it fully adds up, what percentage of a locos price is exposed to China? A good percentage of a loco surely will be only subject to UK costs (eg the manufactures own UK based staff - reps/design/admin etc and retailer margin must be vey much double digit). Until very recently UK inflationary costs have all but been very low so this part cant be affecting price too much. For the rises we have seen year on year China/shipping/materials must be going up say 20% a year (and for the last 10 years), way higher than their own inflation!

I think its a fair comment to say if costs are rising that way each and every year but other countries have far lower rates of increase then viability will open in time either in the UK (Peco seem to remain competative?) or elsewhere (Vietnam just a random mention). I think I recall reading an article that some factories are pulling out of China due to costs/politics/etc and Vietnam was a big winner?

Edited by sanspareil
  • Agree 1

Just a thought on the new 90s, a few people wondering why 2 FLs and no DB, etc - anyone else noticed the code numbers are 32-612A (90041), 32-613 (90026), 32-615 (90004) and then 32-620 (90048). I can't help wondering - what's wrong with 32-614....?? Maybe Bachmann had an alternative plan and had to change it for some unknown reason... or I'm just overthinking it....?!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

what was the upshot of those early floppy bogies and dislodged driveshafts etc.....was that all sorted???  hope the new run is bob on now........i like the mainline 90 but cant afford it.  simples.

I was thinking the same. We shall have to wait for the answers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VXDH92 said:

I suppose there must be a school of thought that if inflation stays much higher in China than for example the UK for a number of years, eventually it could become attractive to manufacture goods in the UK. Lots of ifs and buts of course...

probably more likely to find another place to produce with cheaper wages than the UK

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, scouse889 said:

Just a thought on the new 90s, a few people wondering why 2 FLs and no DB, etc - anyone else noticed the code numbers are 32-612A (90041), 32-613 (90026), 32-615 (90004) and then 32-620 (90048). I can't help wondering - what's wrong with 32-614....?? Maybe Bachmann had an alternative plan and had to change it for some unknown reason... or I'm just overthinking it....?!

do the collectors club models always have a suffix on the product codes? but then it'd probably be unlikely to get another Collectors Club Class 90 while the SNCB one is still available.

On thinking about it, I wonder how they come up with the product codes, I thought the suffixes were generally repeat production runs of the same livery with different numbers

32-612 - Powerhaul 90042

32-612A - Freightliner 90041

32-612K - SNCB 90128

32-613 - Mainline 90026

22 minutes ago, GordonC said:

do the collectors club models always have a suffix on the product codes? but then it'd probably be unlikely to get another Collectors Club Class 90 while the SNCB one is still availabl

I think that is correct - I'm not aware of anything from Collectors Club which has been an original item number rather than a suffixed existing one.

23 minutes ago, GordonC said:

On thinking about it, I wonder how they come up with the product codes, I thought the suffixes were generally repeat production runs of the same livery with different numbers

32-612 - Powerhaul 90042

32-612K - SNCB 90128

32-613 - Mainline 90026

This is something that always baffles me too. It's certainly normal for repeat runs of the same livery to have suffixed codes but this is not applied consistently - 32-612 and 32-612A are good examples of this. They are kinda sorta the same... but not. And if you're going to say 90042 Powerhaul and 90041 Freightliner green are the same because they are simply different versions of the same company livery, then by the same token shouldn't 90048 be 32-612B? Does it mean it's treated differently because it isn't mainly green?! :P

11 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

I think that is correct - I'm not aware of anything from Collectors Club which has been an original item number rather than a suffixed existing one.

This is something that always baffles me too. It's certainly normal for repeat runs of the same livery to have suffixed codes but this is not applied consistently - 32-612 and 32-612A are good examples of this. They are kinda sorta the same... but not. And if you're going to say 90042 Powerhaul and 90041 Freightliner green are the same because they are simply different versions of the same company livery, then by the same token shouldn't 90048 be 32-612B? Does it mean it's treated differently because it isn't mainly green?! :P

It was the Belgian SNCB one being a 32-612K code that I thought odder when the other 32-612 ones were Freightliner green and powerhaul.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, GordonC said:

It was the Belgian SNCB one being a 32-612K code that I thought odder when the other 32-612 ones were Freightliner green and powerhaul.

Also completely agree. Another example (not a Collector's club, but retailers limited edition, where you get the same thing), I happened to buy 66136 DB Cargo UK Yiwu-London the other day, which is 32-738Z - a perfectly logical choice of code given that 32-738 is 66711 'Sence' in GBRf Aggregate Industries...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, GordonC said:

do the collectors club models always have a suffix on the product codes? but then it'd probably be unlikely to get another Collectors Club Class 90 while the SNCB one is still available.

32-612 - Powerhaul 90042

32-612K - SNCB 90128

32-613 - Mainline 90026

Yes all the collectors club models I have use a K suffix.

4 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

I’ve got a freightliner 90 already and another 2 freightliner ones on order. Is the intercity one they done in the first run suitable to use and renumber as one of the lsl ones.

cheers Craig 

I gather so RE the IC Swallow 90s, i know one or two were talking in the feed some time ago about the horn vent being 3D printed to match the ex-GA 90 grille which is slightly different to the original.

I am looking forward to the day when a ''Team Red'' 90 is done, just as I would hope for it to be LOL. 

Edited by Johnson Street IEMD