Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

On 09/11/2021 at 20:07, Craig1989 said:

I’ve got a freightliner 90 already and another 2 freightliner ones on order. Is the intercity one they done in the first run suitable to use and renumber as one of the lsl ones.

cheers Craig 

There's a couple of minor differences such as 90001's grille is white instead of yellow, as well as LED lights instead of the originals and that little bit on the roof (name escapes me!) that was added later on as well. 

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

There's a couple of minor differences such as 90001's grille is white instead of yellow, as well as LED lights instead of the originals and that little bit on the roof (name escapes me!) that was added later on as well. 

It had a mk3 DVT grill also for a while,

• Like 1

On 09/11/2021 at 21:01, Johnson Street IEMD said:

I gather so RE the IC Swallow 90s, i know one or two were talking in the feed some time ago about the horn vent being 3D printed to match the ex-GA 90 grille which is slightly different to the original.

I am looking forward to the day when a ''Team Red'' 90 is done, just as I would hope for it to be LOL. 

well I am looking forward to the day when any class 90 used by GA finally makes an appearance, an NXEA one might be nice, maybe an AGA too, then again some of the Freightliner ones that swapped over from GA still sport their unbranded GA livery, I bet Bachmann will probably do those before they get to any passenger livery used after Virgin Trains :)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the different code numbers are as much the model’s specification as livery, so the same livery on a different loco with, say, different buffers or headlights will have a different product code. An A etc. suffix could be a different livery, e.g. SYP or FYE, if the other specs are the same.

• 1 month later...

I seem to recall  somewhere in this thread that you may have to put the decoder in a different loco to reprogram CV's - otherwise you end up with erratic behaviour due to interference between the DCC chip and the other components; (and this has happened to me too on two different Class 90's) however I found that resetting to factory defaults with chip in the loco does work and will cure the problem but then you are stuck with address 03

Isn't this supposed to be one of the reasons the 2nd batch is coming with a new chip?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, Chris Horner said:

Has anyone  had any problems with the pantograph servo being temperamental? Are there any fixes or replacements available. Mine hardly ever works. 

It failed on one of my three – one of the gears came loose. I returned it through the retailer to Bachmann, it was repaired and now works. It took a few weeks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting announcement from Kernow:

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/n/147/Kernow-Model-Rail-Centre--announce-Exclusive-Bachmann-Class-90-90129-Frachtverbindungen-in-DB-Red-livery

A good one if you're into 90s 90s! (see what I did there?)

Given it is the day before Spring announcements, I wonder if that means more 90s in there too?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

A nice choice as I am sure a professional respray would be difficult to produce the sweep of the curved edges of the white panel on the cab front.

The cost of the this DCC ready loco is getting close to the SNCB sound fitted collectors edition - which now seems a good price. I wish I had one! 

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/n/147/Kernow-Model-Rail-Centre--announce-Exclusive-Bachmann-Class-90-90129-Frachtverbindungen-in-DB-Red-livery

Given it is the day before Spring announcements, I wonder if that means more 90s in there too?

Probably unlikely given the Class 90s already announced in the previous update. I'd be surprised if there was more announced tomorrow than Freightliner Grey, Original Freightliner Green/Yellow, Virgin and Intercity Mainline liveries.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, TomScrut said:

So who’s going to offer the SNCF liveried 90130 I wonder, for a full house!

I agree we won’t see more Class 90s in tomorrow’s announcement, nor 20s or 47s for that matter. It’s too soon after the recent releases. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting choice of buffers, puts it post privatisation (summer 1994), rather than pre, I guess 1994 - 2003… A good choice for VT passenger services, and covers its longest period of running in that livery.

90029 has always been an odd one out..

As built as 90029 in Mainline it ended up in Freight mostly from 1988-1992, despite having the passenger fittings / rubbing plate.

Yet after becoming a 90/1 in DB livery and having its rubbing plates removed Its moved upto being a long term passenger service hire-in for much of its life, firstly to VT upto 2003, renumbered back to 90/0 and EWS livery, then the Pretendolino and then on the Sleeper. 

In 2012 it was the first one in (Official UK) DB livery  and moved to the ECML until very recently, 2019.

its now in Grand Central currently.. another odd ball livery.

Colourful history, literally.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Still not seen what 32-614 is yet.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Interesting choice of buffers, puts it post privatisation (summer 1994), rather than pre, I guess 1994 - 2003… A good choice for VT passenger services, and covers its longest period of running in that livery.

90029 has always been an odd one out..

As built as 90029 in Mainline it ended up in Freight mostly from 1988-1992, despite having the passenger fittings / rubbing plate.

Yet after becoming a 90/1 in DB livery and having its rubbing plates removed Its moved upto being a long term passenger service hire-in for much of its life, firstly to VT upto 2003, renumbered back to 90/0 and EWS livery, then the Pretendolino and then on the Sleeper. 

In 2012 it was the first one in (Official UK) DB livery  and moved to the ECML until very recently, 2019.

its now in Grand Central currently.. another odd ball livery.

Colourful history, literally.

90036 was the first in DB Schenker ... 90029 followed .... then 90018 ... then 90040 ... 

17 hours ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

90036 was the first in DB Schenker ... 90029 followed .... then 90018 ... then 90040 ... 

I think ADB968008 was correct in saying 90029 was first. I have the below dates at Toton for (red)repaint dates

90029 Nov/Dec 2012

90018 Jan 2013

90036 Jun 2013

90040 Dec 15/Jan 2016

90019 April 2016

90028 Dec 2018/Jan 2019

90035 Sep 2019/Oct 2019

90037 Aug 2020/Sep 2020

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

90029 0747am 15th December 2012.. London Euston P15..

90029 20121215 Euston

( not my image / flickr url, dated by exif data)

90036 0710am 15th December 2012.. London Euston P1

90036 20121215 Euston

(also not my image / flickr url dated by exif data )

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

On 02/02/2022 at 00:42, amwells said:

Bit of a shame that the valances are black rather than grey (but then I would have preferred them as painted for Freightconnection without the yellow ends too!)

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

More importantly…

we still dont know what 32-614 is… i’m betting on an EWS or DB one.

Taking a leaf out of the book of rare prototypes and fictitious liveries that we must have over the mundane that gave covered millions of miles in service, what about 90129 in plain red with yellow ends? It worked for one day like that as it was needed in traffic, then was finished in DB red without yellow panels.

On 01/02/2022 at 20:52, brushman47544 said:

So who’s going to offer the SNCF liveried 90130 I wonder, for a full house!

I agree we won’t see more Class 90s in tomorrow’s announcement, nor 20s or 47s for that matter. It’s too soon after the recent releases. 

I would have agreed with that, so the 47s surprised me.

I doubt we'll see more 90s for a year or so. Bachmann have a lot of other models in their catalogue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/02/2022 at 10:01, Pete the Elaner said:

I would have agreed with that, so the 47s surprised me.

I doubt we'll see more 90s for a year or so. Bachmann have a lot of other models in their catalogue.

I feel resprays coming on….

:D