Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

• 2 weeks later...

An agreeable choice and they must have some confidence in their High speed pan.

90023 is interesting, it retained IC livery for long enough to be seen in this livery on Mk4 sets on the ECML, but lost its Pullman rubbing plates in the meantime, so perhaps Bachmann have acknowledged they don't have a complete passenger train go with it and have chosen a freight loco. One of the first 15 with large black numbers would have been a more general choice.

Edited by 298
  • Informative/Useful 1

Excellent news!!!!

Couldn't be more pleased about this.

Are Bachmann good on supplying spares? If they do a decent job on the pantograph, it'd be great to retro-fit all those 86s and 87s (as relevant) that I've got hanging around with Brecknell Willis pantographs.

Happy! Happy! Happy!  :dancer:  :dancer:  :dancer:

• Like 1

I'm very happy with the chosen loco in this announcement, but extremely disappointed with the third livery choice, in that the freightliner powerhaul livery has being chosen over that in the original post's photo. Looks like I'll have to wait a while for Virgin, FGW, the 'older' Freightliner livery and (hedging my bets here) the standalone GNER example. They will likely be getting one intercity class 90 out of me and possibly an RFD one, but as far as I'm concerned, the wrong freightliner livery has been chosen, with passenger private sector dissapointingly being abandoned for initial release

Edited by 60800
  • Agree 1

I'm very happy with the chosen loco in this announcement, but extremely disappointed with the third livery choice, in that the freightliner powerhaul livery has being chosen over that in the original post's photo. Looks like I'll have to wait a while for Virgin, FGW, the 'older' Freightliner livery and (hedging my bets here) the standalone GNER example. They will likely be getting one intercity class 90 out of me and possibly an RFD one, but as far as I'm concerned, the wrong freightliner livery has been chosen, with passenger private sector dissapointingly being abandoned for initial release

I'm guessing now but perhaps Freightliner gave them access to a 90, and recommended their current livery (of which there will be more repaints) over grey or green.

As for other liveries and variations, I'm sure it'll take them a while to cover the lot...

• Like 1

I'm guessing now but perhaps Freightliner gave them access to a 90, and recommended their current livery (of which there will be more repaints) over grey or green.

I recall there was a similar situation with Grand Central when the Dapol HST (specifically the Mk.3's) was being produced.

I can't expect to see the Bachmann 90 emerge for at least a year, so it could be a year and a half / two years before we see private sector passenger liveries. It's come to the point again of trying to model the WCML. We have the 85, we have a dodgy Heljan EM1 and EM2, we have the pendo, voyager and Thunderbird 57's. WCRC stock is available if your willing to respray 47's and rebrand Mk1's, so in all honesty, with the 90 coming along, we're only a decent 86 and 87 away from being able to justify the WCRC with knitting. Just need the knitting and a concentration on era!

Edited by 60800
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's come to the point again of trying to model the WCML. We have the 85, we have a dodgy Heljan EM1 and EM2,

I think there would be a big bang and a very strong burning smell (even worse than frying a decoder) if you tried to run an EM1 or EM2 down the WCML!   Unless of course they're running on the parallel lines into Manchester Picadilly

Unless of course they're running on the parallel lines into Manchester Picadilly

Yep, included them purely as a case of what's available for the 'area'. Not WCML locos themsleves, but contributory to traffic  

Looks like I'll have to wait a while for Virgin, FGW, the 'older' Freightliner livery and (hedging my bets here) the standalone GNER example.

i reckon the GNER loco (rtr) will soon follow the initial batch by way of a Bachmann collectors club or special commission deal.....

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Great choice, maybe we will see a virgin livery in due course along with a release of virgin mk2's...and a decent class 87 ?

They might be in danger of drawing criticism over not having a complete train available, as happened when Farish and Hornby both overlooked the Mk3b DVT and made do with the Mk4 (later corrected by Dapol and Hornby respectively). I presume they're now prepared to steal some thunder by doing 90034 in DRS soon unless Hornby give their loco one last hurrah, although I'm sure it'll be after the real Pretendolino is disposed of.

• Round of applause 1