Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

11 hours ago, classy52 said:

Luckily I've never owned a DJM product and most likely never will...allow me to extend my deepest sympathies :cry:

Personally I think the comments aimed at DJM are very cynical and surprised they have been allowed to continue in this thread. Really seem cheap shots and almost the type of comments I hear in a school playground. Having met Dave he is a very nice person that seems to have attracted a very negative cloud attached to his company by many in this forum. 

Back on the Class 90 very happy with the Intercity release and thinking of purchasing a second for a renumber.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

9 minutes ago, cs233 said:

Personally I think the comments aimed at DJM are very cynical and surprised they have been allowed to continue in this thread. Really seem cheap shots and almost the type of comments I hear in a school playground. Having met Dave he is a very nice person that seems to have attracted a very negative cloud attached to his company by many in this forum. 

Back on the Class 90 very happy with the Intercity release and thinking of purchasing a second for a renumber.

What world are you living in?

He may seem nice in person, he seems nice to anyone who praises his work. He's totally different otheriwse. I think many people have covered it. If literally hundreds of people have had issues with his and the same issues over and over again, clearly something is wrong.

And I think you should leave the removal of posts to moderators and admins.

• Agree 6

On 24/05/2019 at 14:41, sirwilliamfrs said:

Is it unusual that Rails have the Class 90 in stock but Hattons are not showing it as yet? Update- Hattons have assured me by telephone today that the Class 90s will be in next week.

Have you heard anything since? I left my long standing pre-order (out of sense of loyalty etc), but heard nothing and the week is running out. Tried to call hattons helpline yesterday but gave up after being on hold for a while.

1 hour ago, rencar12 said:

Have just ordered my new Bachmann Class 90 Freightliner.

Should I be worried about this? :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OLI7kDxuVY

Really don't want to experience this, when trying to fit the Bachmann Class 90 decoder!

Anyone else had any trouble?

Incidentally I noticed that Rails of Sheffield have now gone out of stock of the decoder.  

Sound fitted 5 this morning, I had that with one screw, they are very shallow posidrive heads, so I used a flat small jewellers screwdriver and it popped out easy.

Charlie

Edited by charliepetty
error
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, sorabain said:

Have you heard anything since? I left my long standing pre-order (out of sense of loyalty etc), but heard nothing and the week is running out. Tried to call hattons helpline yesterday but gave up after being on hold for a while.

Surely Hatton's still haven't resolved their long-running issue with Bachmann, so whilst their stock may be allocated at Barwell it's not going to be in stock until the dispute is resolved. I'd buy elsewhere while there is confirmed stock available.

• Agree 5

17 minutes ago, sorabain said:

I'd just go to another store for now. Apparently there's some issue between Bachmann and Hatton's, no idea what and after having asked people to point me to content on the topic, I've not been able to find out what exactly it is.

So as others have said, just order elsewhere.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, sorabain said:

Try their online chat.Otherwise,cancel and go elsewhere.Incidentally,with regard to customer loyalty,Hattons offer no such incentive,whereas for example Kernow do. Shop around.Smaller retailers offer the same deal most post free.Do yourself a favour.No one else will.

• Agree 3

Can anyone tell me if the insulators/legs on the pantograph base for the Bachmann Class 90 match the dimensions for the Hornby Class 90/92 pantograph bases?

That way I can either use the Hornby Class 92 pantograph or the metal base from a Hornby Class 90 and then my own 3D printed pantograph.

I think the Bachmann Class 90 is superb but heavily let down by an unrealistic looking and noisy pantograph that I'll never use. I'd happily buy one or more in future if the pantograph can be swapped out easily and the servo disconnected.

PLEASE REPLY TO THIS ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHETHER THE PANTOGRAPHS CAN BE SWAPPED.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I think the Bachmann Class 90 is superb but heavily let down by an unrealistic looking and noisy pantograph that I'll never use. 

In the circumstances, I think I'd be tempted to take the pantograph off altogether and renumber as a Class 49 diesel.  :wub:

• Funny 2

25 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I think the Bachmann Class 90 is superb but heavily let down by an unrealistic looking and noisy pantograph that I'll never use. I'd happily buy one or more in future if the pantograph can be swapped out easily and the servo disconnected.

:blink:

You can't please everyone.

Hornby have had 5 attempts

Hornby #1 - the cast one:  Working & robust but hugely overscale

Hornby #2 - The 1st plastic one: Looks good but very flimsy

Hornby #3 - Plastic permanently down one: Ok if you don't ever want to raise it

Hornby #4 - Pendolino: Doesn't raise properly & some components not quite right.

Hornby #5 - Class 87: Flimsy

Remember that the real version is operated by a chain inside the arms. Even if this could be replicated in 1/76, it would not last long.

The design brief for both Bachmann & Hornby would have been to make one which:

looks like the prototype

can be raised/lowered, preferably by DCC

can ride wires

will not break straight away.

After 6 RTR attempts, I think it is safe to say that it is not possible to meet all of these criteria. The BW HS pan is simply a highly delicate item to model & compromises must be made in order to make a product which can be sold.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• Administrators
3 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

And I think you should leave the removal of posts to moderators and admins.

True, and we can't watch all the time. However, please get back on topic please.

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

:blink:

You can't please everyone.

Hornby have had 5 attempts

Hornby #1 - the cast one:  Working & robust but hugely overscale

Hornby #2 - The 1st plastic one: Looks good but very flimsy

Hornby #3 - Plastic permanently down one: Ok if you don't ever want to raise it

Hornby #4 - Pendolino: Doesn't raise properly & some components not quite right.

Hornby #5 - Class 87: Flimsy

Yes I am aware thank you, and you missed out two, the one used by their Class 92 and the one Hornby tooled up for their ex-Lima Class 87 (which is different, from the one currently used on the new Class 87).

Not to sure what issues you had with the Pendolino pantograph. The one I had went up and down fine. And the BW-HAS pantograph used on the Pendolino is different from the one used by the Class 87, so I am not sure what components were not right. Unless you have some nice images of the Pendolino pantograph and the Hornby representation.

• RMweb Gold

I have received the Bachmann Railfreight Class 90 loco and on removing it from the box I have noticed that one of the bogies appears to be loose from the main chassis.  It can be independently moved forwards and backwards several mm as well as side to side.  The other bogie (at the pantograph end) is attached to a central pivot and moves as a bogie would be expected to do.

Is this a correct feature of this model or is one of the bogie mountings broken?  I have made no attempt to remove the body to see if anything is wrong/broken - not sure if this is even possible without damaging the panto servo.  I have tested the loco on dc and the wheels turn on both bogies.

Is this is a correct feature or do I have a defective loco?

Cheers

Darius

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Problems here also intercity class 90 buffers pinged off on opening the box and the railfreight version has a chip if you like to the paintwork between body side and roof panel although it's small I can't unsee it. Going back to rails tomorrow for replacemen.

Gutted have waited a long time for these locos!

mark

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Darius43 said:

I have received the Bachmann Railfreight Class 90 loco and on removing it from the box I have noticed that one of the bogies appears to be loose from the main chassis.  It can be independently moved forwards and backwards several mm as well as side to side.  The other bogie (at the pantograph end) is attached to a central pivot and moves as a bogie would be expected to do.

Is this a correct feature of this model or is one of the bogie mountings broken?  I have made no attempt to remove the body to see if anything is wrong/broken - not sure if this is even possible without damaging the panto servo.  I have tested the loco on dc and the wheels turn on both bogies.

Is this is a correct feature or do I have a defective loco?

Cheers

Darius

That doesn't sound right! And I've seen videos of people handling it and no one has had a bogie that loose.

Hope you get an answer soon

3 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

That doesn't sound right! And I've seen videos of people handling it and no one has had a bogie that loose.

Hope you get an answer soon

you need to send it back  the bogie is broken my class 90 is not like that

hope this helps

• Informative/Useful 1