Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys - have emailed the retailer so I suspect it will soon be on its way back to them.   Now where did I put the cardboard box it was posted to me in...

Cheers

Darius

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 21:17, gazwire said:

15590701412592054953038.jpg.28648a111731b16c699ddf551ed2da89.jpg

Being an N gauge modeller (due to space limitations at home) I am mightly jelous of the beautiful new class 90 model from Bachmann.

What you have done there though looks really really good and has given me a bit of motivation for a way that I could justify buying something that will never run on a layout :) .

All the best

Dave

3 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Being an N gauge modeller (due to space limitations at home) I am mightly jelous of the beautiful new class 90 model from Bachmann.

What you have done there though looks really really good and has given me a bit of motivation for a way that I could justify buying something that will never run on a layout :) .

All the best

Dave

I hope someone does the Class 90 in N gauge soon. Been pestering Ben of RevolutioN Trains to have a go, but my pestering hasn't been very effective.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I hope someone does the Class 90 in N gauge soon. Been pestering Ben of RevolutioN Trains to have a go, but my pestering hasn't been very effective.

When you see how well the OO model is selling, combined with the other wcml stock available I'm surprised someone hasn't taken notice. With revolutions business model there is also much less risk to the manufacturer. I know I would directly take as many as I could afford. With respraying as a fun part of the hobbie there are about 10 different liveries I could happily fit onto my layout and I'm only doing a ~5 year time period. Over the 30 add year life span of the class 90 the livery and sales potential is huge. 

Maybe we just need to develop a shrink ray for use on the brilliant Bachmann model :mocking_mini:.

All credit to them for developing such a brilliant model as well as taking the financial risk. It's part of the reason I feel the need to find a way to justify having one.

Keeping it about the brilliant OO model does anyone have plans for a respray of this Bachmann model? 

• Agree 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

When you see how well the OO model is selling, combined with the other wcml stock available I'm surprised someone hasn't taken notice. With revolutions business model there is also much less risk to the manufacturer. I know I would directly take as many as I could afford. With respraying as a fun part of the hobbie there are about 10 different liveries

The OO model has been out a few weeks - planning and designing a RTR model takes months or even years. How fast do you think they can whip one up?

"With respraying as a fun part of the hobbie" - I think you mean "complaining that the livery you want hasn't been produced" - very few people respray model themselves.

• Agree 1

There are a total of 28 'liveries' listed on the Class 90 fan page (reproduced below and not fact-checked).  7 of these are allegedly one-offs, plus 8 Anglia variants can be boiled down to two base schemes, 'one' and NXEA.  That leaves 13 principal liveries, and Bachmann has produced three at launch, so yes there are ten main ones to go at and opportunities for some niche work too!

1. RfD (original)
  2. Inter-City (white swallow)
  3. Inter-City Mainline (Black)
  4. Rail Express Systems
  5. RfD (revised with blue roofs)
  6. RfD Sybic (applied to 90036)
  7. GNER unbranded (90024)
  8. Virgin Trains (original)
  9. Freightliner Grey
  10. Freightliner Green
  11. Freightliner Powerhaul
  12. ‘One’ original (dark shade)
  13. ‘One’ revised (blue & pink)
  14. NXEA White (NXEA branded)
  15. NXEA White (GA branding)
  16. NXEA Blue (NXEA branding)
  17. NXEA Blue (Unbranded)
  18. NXEA Blue (GA branding)
  19. NXEA (blue) revised Jubilee
  20. Abellio Greater Anglia (white)
  21. EWS Maroon
  22. First Scotrail
  23. DB Red Original (90029)
  24. DB Red (unveiled in 2012)
  25. Belgium Blue (90028)
  26. French SNCF (90030)
  27. DRS Blue (90034)
  28. Malcolm Logistics (90024)
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

There are a total of 28 'liveries' listed on the Class 90 fan page (reproduced below and not fact-checked).  7 of these are allegedly one-offs, plus 8 Anglia variants can be boiled down to two base schemes, 'one' and NXEA.  That leaves 13 principal liveries, and Bachmann has produced three at launch, so yes there are ten main ones to go at and opportunities for some niche work too!

1. RfD (original)
  4. Rail Express Systems
  9. Freightliner Grey
  10. Freightliner Green
  21. EWS Maroon
  22. First Scotrail
  25. Belgium Blue (90028)
  26. French SNCF (90030)
  27. DRS Blue (90034)

DBS Blue (Ex-DRS)?

1 hour ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

When you see how well the OO model is selling, combined with the other wcml stock available I'm surprised someone hasn't taken notice. With revolutions business model there is also much less risk to the manufacturer. I know I would directly take as many as I could afford. With respraying as a fun part of the hobbie there are about 10 different liveries I could happily fit onto my layout and I'm only doing a ~5 year time period. Over the 30 add year life span of the class 90 the livery and sales potential is huge. 

Definitely agree with this.....hope someone does it in N gauge someday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ben's always been (understandably) reticent to do anything that another manufacturer could steal a march on - surely the 90 is an obvious candidate for the shrink ray from Bachmann. I'd have at least 5!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I would really fancy the Malcolm Logistics 90024 :sungum:

Patience.

It is normal to produce the expected best sellers first in order to recoup as much of the development costs as quickly as possible.

We may even have improved OLE by the time the next batch of 90s arrive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd say it's normal to produce less desirable liveries first, as people will buy 'the first wave' regardless, and will then buy the liveries they want when they're produced.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

The OO model has been out a few weeks - planning and designing a RTR model takes months or even years. How fast do you think they can whip one up?

"With respraying as a fun part of the hobbie" - I think you mean "complaining that the livery you want hasn't been produced" - very few people respray model themselves.

I don't think anyone was suggesting to "whip one up", I most certainly wasn't. I am by no means an expert, but I would imagine the process taking around 3-4 year's when you look at current initial announcements to when the models are actually available. Just the process needs to start at some point if something is to be achieved and all credit to Bachmann for putting into action all the background work that has been required to make such a lovely model. 

I agree with you that not everyone resprays models. But personally (despite not being all that good at it) I very much enjoy the process of respraying models. researching photo's etc., noticing all kinds of details I would otherwise have totally missed, attempting to improve my painting/modelling skills and learning about the railway along the way.

If anyone does respray one of these model's I would be very interested to see it and appreciate the effort that's gone in.

I'm amazed to see that somehow this interesting part of the hobbie is so negatively interpreted as a "complaint". There is no complaint from me at all, especially not at Bachmann and the brilliant model they have produced and all the hard work and effort that must of gone into making it look so good. 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Darius43 said:

I have received the Bachmann Railfreight Class 90 loco and on removing it from the box I have noticed that one of the bogies appears to be loose from the main chassis.  It can be independently moved forwards and backwards several mm as well as side to side.  The other bogie (at the pantograph end) is attached to a central pivot and moves as a bogie would be expected to do.

Is this a correct feature of this model or is one of the bogie mountings broken?  I have made no attempt to remove the body to see if anything is wrong/broken - not sure if this is even possible without damaging the panto servo.  I have tested the loco on dc and the wheels turn on both bogies.

Is this is a correct feature or do I have a defective loco?

Cheers

Darius

Hi

Received my 90 today, BR Inter city Financial Times and have the same problem with one bogie. My problem is with the bogie at the pantograph end. Have arranged to return mine to retailer.

Point of interest, the fault seems to be with the mounting of the bogie gear tower, however the drive shaft is still located and drives both sets of wheels of the affected bogie, so a test run won't necessarily identify if you have an affected model, unless you check the bogies for sideways and forward backward movement that shouldn't  be there if the bogie was properly in a central pivot point. 

1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

1. RfD (original)
  4. Rail Express Systems
  9. Freightliner Grey
  10. Freightliner Green
  21. EWS Maroon
  22. First Scotrail
  25. Belgium Blue (90028)
  26. French SNCF (90030)
  27. DRS Blue (90034)

What about standard greater anglia (without the abellio branding)?

438416C3-39B1-4E5D-B56F-613A442B8F66.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Maybe we just need to develop a shrink ray for use on the brilliant Bachmann model :mocking_mini:.

All credit to them for developing such a brilliant model as well as taking the financial risk. It's part of the reason I feel the need to find a way to justify having one.

Keeping it about the brilliant OO model does anyone have plans for a respray of this Bachmann model? 

It’s often quoted that the N gauge market is about 10% of the OO one. And what % of that is diesel/ electric ? And what % of that is interested in catenary ? 

I’ d like to say the potential is huge but it’s got to be a tiny market.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

It’s often quoted that the N gauge market is about 10% of the OO one. And what % of that is diesel/ electric ? And what % of that is interested in catenary ? 

According to Bachmann more like 20%. At least that was the figure I was given during discussions at Alexandra Palace earlier this year. 

The 90 is one of the few original Farish models still to be retooled, and I would be very surprised if a new one wasn’t announced in the next year or two. The proliferation of models of electric motive power from the likes of RevolutioN & Cavalex should only strengthen the case. 

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I’ d like to say the potential is huge but it’s got to be a tiny market.

All very good points. I often forget these thing's, I currently live and work in Germany and both here and in Switzerland the % of people modelling n guage (or at least spur n which is 1:160, but very similar) as well as the people modelling cantenary is very high compared to the uk (although 10% in the uk does sound very low). 

I have heard from clubs and trade shows that here n gauge has grown over the last 20 years because of the huge improvement in quality of rtr stock and the space limitations so many people have. So maybe with time it will also grow in the uk as I suggest the problem for finding space is just as applicable in both countries.  

As for cantenary, I think there is just less fear of it here and once more people start doing it it becomes more 'normal'. I've just started a small section of my layout and even as a beginner it's not overly complex or difficult. 

Although a very interesting discussion, I am a bit concerned that we are moving away from the topic of the post which is the model from Bachmann in OO:rolleyes:.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomE said:

According to Bachmann more like 20%. At least that was the figure I was given during discussions at Alexandra Palace earlier this year. 

The 90 is one of the few original Farish models still to be retooled, and I would be very surprised if a new one wasn’t announced in the next year or two. The proliferation of models of electric motive power from the likes of RevolutioN & Cavalex should only strengthen the case. 

Tom. 

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed :)

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I hope you are right guys. I’m oo but for  something like the WCML I can really see the benefits of N.

The issues for me with N is the same as with O..

space and price.

N gives lots of space but track / rolling stock prices prohibit exploiting it.

O takes lots of space but track / rolling stock prices prohibit exploiting it.

TT would be the optimum gauge for most, but that boat sank 50 years ago.

At this stage OO is too entrenched, we’re stuck with it and not even HO can save us.

The only way out would be someone with very deep pockets prepared to subsidise TT or HO for a decade to build a market with a vast range of track, accessories and tooling big enough to convince people off their OO addiction, I can’t see that happening myself.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

The issues for me with N is the same as with O..

space and price.

N gives lots of space but track / rolling stock prices prohibit exploiting it.

O takes lots of space but track / rolling stock prices prohibit exploiting it.

TT would be the optimum gauge for most, but that boat sank 50 years ago.

At this stage OO is too entrenched, we’re stuck with it and not even HO can save us.

The only way out would be someone with very deep pockets prepared to subsidise TT or HO for a decade to build a market with a vast range of track, accessories and tooling big enough to convince people off their OO addiction, I can’t see that happening myself.

We’ve wondered well off topic but...briefly....I’ve tried N,O and OO. N was too fiddly, a bit coarse and there simply isn’t the range as it’s not as well supported.

O required weathering. Skills way beyond mine as everything is so visible , and as I like to collect locos I’d be collecting about one a year at £600 a go.

OO offfered the best compromise which is why I carry on with it.

20 hours ago, rembrow said:

Hi

Received my 90 today, BR Inter city Financial Times and have the same problem with one bogie. My problem is with the bogie at the pantograph end. Have arranged to return mine to retailer.

Point of interest, the fault seems to be with the mounting of the bogie gear tower, however the drive shaft is still located and drives both sets of wheels of the affected bogie, so a test run won't necessarily identify if you have an affected model, unless you check the bogies for sideways and forward backward movement that shouldn't  be there if the bogie was properly in a central pivot point. 

i have finally got round to running mine in today but after i increased the speed from running in it sounds as though it has wheel flats runs well but dose not sound 100% right. 

Edited by roy h
  • Like 2