Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 23:32, TomE said:

According to Bachmann more like 20%. At least that was the figure I was given during discussions at Alexandra Palace earlier this year. 

The 90 is one of the few original Farish models still to be retooled, and I would be very surprised if a new one wasn’t announced in the next year or two. The proliferation of models of electric motive power from the likes of RevolutioN & Cavalex should only strengthen the case. 

Tom. 

and accurascale 92.   its getting good now for AC fans.   I think the last of low hanging fruit for WCML modders is the Class 81.  I am sure there are those who liked the 82 83 or 84 more but these really are the lesser classes probably because of the lower numbers produced vs the 81s and the 85s.  not sure I would so fussed about having a servo controlled pan on further models what with their bespoke decoders adding to the cost.  the class 85 pan could be tweaked slightly so that the head stays level as it rises.

im off to the Dapol 00 catenary thread now to catch up on what they are doing catenary wise if things have moved on since they brought out the single mk3 masts.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

and accurascale 92.   its getting good now for AC fans.   I think the last of low hanging fruit for WCML modders is the Class 81.  I am sure there are those who liked the 82 83 or 84 more but these really are the lesser classes probably because of the lower numbers produced vs the 81s and the 85s.  not sure I would so fussed about having a servo controlled pan on further models what with their bespoke decoders adding to the cost.  the class 85 pan could be tweaked slightly so that the head stays level as it rises.

im off to the Dapol 00 catenary thread now to catch up on what they are doing catenary wise if things have moved on since they brought out the single mk3 masts.

You forgot the badger.

The 81 is nice, but I think the 89 would do better.

Its got a wider presence, a working future, and a few liveries behind it.

Peoples memories of the badger are shaped by open days and rail-tours, and in more recent memories. Admittedly the time isn't yet right for max potential, but its coming soon.

An 81 doesn't really fulfil that, and no ones seen a working one for 3 decades, indeed an 84 might do better than an 81... its got one more livery with quite wide appeal, and another's been publically sat in the NRM for years, prior to that the 84 had “badger” status on the exhibition circuit. 

We live in an area of celebrity not the mundane.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback about fitting the DCC decoder.  I think these new Class 90's are selling very well indeed.

I ended up buying myself a Freightliner and the Railfreight version - they really are a fabulous model (particularly compared to the Hornby Class 90's that I own)!

I'd already ordered a specific Bachmann 36-569 Class 90 DCC chip which I fitted myself to the Freightliner model.  One screw was a bit tight, but all removed and chip fitted. Working fine, along with pantograph movement up and down. 

Thanks to my local model shop, who kindly programmed and fitted within minutes, a new Zimo MX638D chip to the new Railfreight class 90 and again everything is working just fine with this (including lights and the pantograph movement).

Considering the Zimo was only £20 and the model shop programmed and fitted it for me, I was very pleased.  Could have saved money, by not buying the 36-569 chip, but never mind.

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

You forgot the badger.

........but that was an ECML machine really - I was referencing the WCML.  I reckon Rapido Trains will land grab one of the other AC locos........   

I do think an 89 will appear at some point in the next 1-3 years though. 

• RMweb Gold

I've been to Norwich the past few days, not just paying attention to the class 37's but also to the 90's.

On my return, my first 2 Bachmann Class 90's arrived from Derails..

So I thought i'd combine pictures from both...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

Happy to be corrected, but the last I heard on this the Dapol catenary was supposedly dead-in-the-water?

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium

May be prototypical but should the Intercity and Railfreight versions have Overhead Warning signs of one of the two types or did they run without them from new? Also, what year did the Railfreight ones gain the depot emblem plaques?

Easy enough to add, suspect this may be done deliberately as the models cross a couple of periods of overhead design signs / plaques being fitted or not.

Peco not only released their plain line masts but are still showing the proposed portal frame gantries at shows, on another thread here someone reported that Peco were still on course to release them this year.

Go to the last page (5) of the thread for the prototype gantries

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NaN said:

May be prototypical but should the Intercity and Railfreight versions have Overhead Warning signs of one of the two types or did they run without them from new? Also, what year did the Railfreight ones gain the depot emblem plaques?

Easy enough to add, suspect this may be done deliberately as the models cross a couple of periods of overhead design signs / plaques being fitted or not.

OHLE signs were only required in BR days if theres a point of access to the roof.. ie steps.

As the AC electrics were designed without roof access they didn't  get them by default, there may be exceptions. It seems that post Privatisation this changed, 31st December 1997, when yellow warning flashes were introduced. 

RfD livery is still with us today, 30 years after its introduction, and you can still see 90’s where the depot plaque was removed... imagine a half yellow end green diesel, painted c1965 still roaming the network in 1995 wearing that same paint !

Depot plaques were introduced in 1987 with the Railfreight three tone grey livery, and mostly had slowly died out by the early 2000’s... for an RfD 90.. this would be the plaque..

https://www.gwra.co.uk/auctions/electric-locomotive-depot-plaque-for-crewe-electri-2018jul-0238.html

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

RfD livery is still with us today, 30 years after its introduction, and you can still see 90’s where the depot plaque was removed... imagine a half yellow end green diesel, painted c1965 still roaming the network in 1995 wearing that same paint !

To be correct, all of the Freightliner 90s were given a fresh coat of triple grey in 1996-97 when the Freightliner triangles were applied, its not the original paint on those that still survive.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, andyman7 said:

You got there before me....I really like the lights on the Bachmann class 90, the warm white LEDs replicate the conventional lighting of the as built 90s very well and have just the right glow.

IMG_20190602_133839a.jpg

I agree, hornbys choice of cool white LEDs just don’t seem to work well, and the lights on the 87 seem brighter overall 

Edited by LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004

22 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

I agree, hornbys choice of cool white LEDs just don’t seem to work well...

In more than one sense. Hornby has the basis of a superb model. If only the lights, pantograph and provision for DCC sound could be improved.

Having had my hands on my pair of 90s now, I think Bachmann have tried to be too ambitious.

I have sound-fitted both models after running them in on DC.

Both are nice, quiet runners.

I fitted the RF one first & it seems to be fine. I had to adjust the maximum height of the pan to fit under the bridges on my layout & this worked as it should.

I fitted the IC one last night. It sounds wrong. The RF one has a nice roar, but the IC hisses & the horns have a more hollow sound to them. I suspect the speaker may not be sealed properly.

I optimistically hoped that it just needed a few minutes of running in for the speaker to settle. (Hi Fi buffs recommend this but I have always been sceptical about it). I tried this today & it sounds no better. Overnight the pan has stopped working too. This was fine last night but refuses to work this morning.

Both faults are probably fixable but they are both with 'extra' features . I would really have preferred the option to fit my own choice of speaker...unless I know it is a good one, like Hattons are fitting to their class 66. I know I did not break the pan with the decoder because the RF one is an identical installation which still works after a few days running & I copied the CV changes to lower the pan height.

If they had not tried to make the pan work & had provided space to fit a speaker along with a service sheet to tell you how to remove the body, then these issues would not exist.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Having had my hands on my pair of 90s now, I think Bachmann have tried to be too ambitious.

...or after a 5 year wait not good enough from Bachmann for this model, all depends how you look at it.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I have sound-fitted both models after running them in on DC.

Both are nice, quiet runners.

I fitted the RF one first & it seems to be fine. I had to adjust the maximum height of the pan to fit under the bridges on my layout & this worked as it should.

I fitted the IC one last night. It sounds wrong. The RF one has a nice roar, but the IC hisses & the horns have a more hollow sound to them. I suspect the speaker may not be sealed properly.

I optimistically hoped that it just needed a few minutes of running in for the speaker to settle. (Hi Fi buffs recommend this but I have always been sceptical about it). I tried this today & it sounds no better. Overnight the pan has stopped working too. This was fine last night but refuses to work this morning.

Both faults are probably fixable but they are both with 'extra' features . I would really have preferred the option to fit my own choice of speaker...unless I know it is a good one, like Hattons are fitting to their class 66. I know I did not break the pan with the decoder because the RF one is an identical installation which still works after a few days running & I copied the CV changes to lower the pan height.

If they had not tried to make the pan work & had provided space to fit a speaker along with a service sheet to tell you how to remove the body, then these issues would not exist.

Yikes, hope you get that sorted out soon. One of the reasons I stopped buy from Bachmann a few years ago. Same model, different charateristics and some very weird sense of "level of detail".

One of the things I love about their Class 90 is the lack of a driver, cannot stand trains running around with the driver in the wrong cab. So finally a smart decision from them.

Anyway, hope you get your Class 90s sorted out soon,

Cheers!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

One of the things I love about their Class 90 is the lack of a driver, cannot stand trains running around with the driver in the wrong cab. So finally a smart decision from them.

Anyway, hope you get your Class 90s sorted out soon,

Cheers!

I'm looking forward to seeing one running with a Driver stood in the cab doorway...

• Like 1

I have joined the crowd of peeps with their first Bachmann, only mine is off to the paintshop, to be repainted into DB Ex DRS 90034. I expect Bachmann will do a DB red one as well as an EWS one and I have the necessary decals to tweak those as and when... but 90034 is quite unusual so I am going with that for my first bachy 90 repaint .

20190601_194122[1].jpg

20190601_194044[1].jpg

20190601_194137[1].jpg

• Like 2

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

And we'd have posts on here moaning the pan didn't work. Remember, a few weeks ago, this was a loco being decried for lack of "wow". 

• Agree 2