Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Received my sound-fitted 90128 in SNCB livery this afternoon courtesy of Fedex who left the package in the porch even though I was at home all day.

Had a quick look at the loco and read the additional instructions that came with it …. and was interested to see that it comes with a Loksound V5 sound decoder.

Keith

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Received my sound-fitted 90128 in SNCB livery this afternoon courtesy of Fedex who left the package in the porch even though I was at home all day.

Had a quick look at the loco and read the additional instructions that came with it …. and was interested to see that it comes with a Loksound V5 sound decoder.

Keith

Can I see a photo of it? As I am thinking of joining the collectors club so I can get it.

All the best, Matthew

• RMweb Gold

Got my sound-fitted 90128 set up on my Z21 this afternoon and gave it a spin round the track:

1675713259_SNCBCl90-01.jpg.cbf459ef8e445c90f3d75b5cdd60c452.jpg

One of the features that I do like is the option to turn off the rear lights on the loco when hauling something:

1189653510_SNCBCl90-02.jpg.ae1e10e0a2ce5be3fb9b714e786c1bdf.jpg

Another interesting feature is that once F1 (sound on/off) has been activated the loco won't move until F6 (pantograph up/down) or F12 (pantograph up/down sounds) has been activated.

After a few minutes running 90128 got tired of hauling a short train ex-SECR covered vans (which arrived the same day as 90128) so, to keep it happy, some SNCB double deck coaches were found to make it feel like home...….

1437251654_SNCBCl90-03.jpg.0bb89e9161d361b1cc7f93567feddf0b.jpg

Keith

• Like 7

• Moderators

It has been necessary to remove some incorrect comments. 

“Bachmann Europe Plc refute any claims made by third parties regarding the Bachmann Branchline Class 90 locomotive and the programming of decoders fitted to this model.”

54 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It has been necessary to remove some incorrect comments. 

“Bachmann Europe Plc refute any claims made by third parties regarding the Bachmann Branchline Class 90 locomotive and the programming of decoders fitted to this model.”

Now by doing that you've just shut down an honest question about whether v5 sound decoders have any issues with the Bachmann Class 90 circuit board, whether you deem my original post & subsequent replies incorrect or not is a matter of opinion (obviously Bachmann's) but I was just asking the question and quoting an expert selling these decoders for the Class 90.

Like I said it was an honest post or question from a Bachmann customer such as myself wishing to buy a sound decoder and came across a highlighted issue by a particular seller who is/are regarded as an expert in this area of railway modelling...obviously I will now need to visit other online forums to find out more about this and whether there is an element of truth to it or not before I purchase a sound decoder and obviously speak directly to the seller.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, classy52 said:

Now by doing that you've just shut down an honest question

Well you shouldn't change been so strident.

2 hours ago, classy52 said:

quoting an expert

Who happens to have got it wrong.

45 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Who happens to have got it wrong.

Well that was the type of feedback I was after, I wasn't out to get Bachmann as I just happened to stumble across this last night whilst browsing thus I was quite surprised by the sellers statement hence coming on here for other experts to comment which you have done...thanks.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, classy52 said:

I wasn't out to get Bachmann

It certainly came across that way.

Maybe DC should have said their chip needs to be removed to be reprogrammed and not infer Bachmann's needs to be.

If in doubt contact Bachmann's technical support.

how are people finding the pans performance under actual wires both at high and low contact wire heights?   any pics of what the pantograph position settles to?  wondering if the pan opens out equally for both arms regardless of wire height whilst maintaining head in the correct flat position....

Edited by ThaneofFife

1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

how are people finding the pans performance under actual wires both at high and low contact wire heights?   any pics of what the pantograph position settles to?  wondering if the pan opens out equally for both arms regardless of wire height whilst maintaining head in the correct flat position....

is the pantograph height not set by the servo motor? as I understood it you could set the maximum height it would travel to but it would spring down if the contact wire was lower

6 minutes ago, GordonC said:

is the pantograph height not set by the servo motor? as I understood it you could set the maximum height it would travel to but it would spring down if the contact wire was lower

That is correct, but I don't think it answers the question raised.

When the height is limited only by the servo, the lower/upper arms sit at acceptable angles. Unfortunately my WCML layout is still in its c1940 period & I do not expect to start the c1990 version with OLE for at least a couple of years (but I still run my 90s occasionally & they are in the fiddle yard right now).

Whether it actually compresses the same when performed by a contact wire instead of the servo is something I won't find out first hand for some time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thought I'd delay purchasing my Class 90s in the hope that shop stock would have been checked by now.

Ordered two Class 90s online which arrived by DHL this morning.

I'd asked the retailer to inspect the locos prior to dispatch but despite that and good packing, one loco has arrived with both bogies loose and hanging down and also one buffer broken off. (The other loco seems OK and runs nicely).

I would like to have visited a shop to inspect and collect personally but unfortunately due to family illness I am unable to get to a retailer at this time.

Just been unlucky with this one I guess.

PICT0149.JPG

PICT0151.JPG

PICT0152.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

not good. glad i havent bought one yet purely because I want a mainline version and even when they get round to that one I am not going to be rushing straight out to buy until I am satisfied that these issues have finally been ironed out.   seems hit and miss.

• Agree 4

18 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

I am not going to be rushing straight out to buy until I am satisfied that these issues have finally been ironed out.   seems hit and miss.

The first batch of InterCity, RF & FL PowerHaul have been produced & have probably also been distributed. There is no way Bachmann will be 'ironing out' issues with models sitting in a retailer's store room or a wholesaler's warehouse.

Any newer batches are a different matter. Bachmann have to make an economic decision.

Any mass produced item will suffer from faults to a number of individual items. It is not that the manufacturer doesn't care...they really don't want the cost & hassle of dealing with returns & replacements any more than customers do. They will simply have a limit below which they will consider the number of faults to be acceptable.

Only Bachmann will know if the number of returns is within their expected limit.

If they feel that the number of returns is a problem, they will make changes to the production process.

If they feel the number of returns is within their acceptable limits, they will do nothing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Markn said:

Railfreight version is today's advent offering by Rails of Sheffield. Have held out up to now, but severely tempted at £140!

This is a shame as it might suggest the 90 has been a bit of a slow seller.  Lovely model once the bogie issue is ironed out (I have one of each in my fleet and will add more if further liveries emerge).  Hope I'm wrong as would very much like to see other AC electrics released, including further 90s in Mainline, EWS etc....

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The first batch of InterCity, RF & FL PowerHaul have been produced & have probably also been distributed. There is no way Bachmann will be 'ironing out' issues with models sitting in a retailer's store room or a wholesaler's warehouse.

Any newer batches are a different matter. Bachmann have to make an economic decision.

Any mass produced item will suffer from faults to a number of individual items. It is not that the manufacturer doesn't care...they really don't want the cost & hassle of dealing with returns & replacements any more than customers do. They will simply have a limit below which they will consider the number of faults to be acceptable.

Only Bachmann will know if the number of returns is within their expected limit.

If they feel that the number of returns is a problem, they will make changes to the production process.

If they feel the number of returns is within their acceptable limits, they will do nothing.

To add to this, my retailer and Bachmann's response to this was first class - one of my 90s was exchanged by retailer and another went back to Bachmann via retailer for repairs.  This was done very quickly and at no cost to me, and when returned was packaged up quite a lot differently (wrapped in bubble wrap, outside of original box) perhaps indicating what Bachmann thinks is the underlying cause?

M

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cravensdmufan said:

Thought I'd delay purchasing my Class 90s in the hope that shop stock would have been checked by now.

Ordered two Class 90s online which arrived by DHL this morning.

I'd asked the retailer to inspect the locos prior to dispatch but despite that and good packing, one loco has arrived with both bogies loose and hanging down and also one buffer broken off. (The other loco seems OK and runs nicely).

I would like to have visited a shop to inspect and collect personally but unfortunately due to family illness I am unable to get to a retailer at this time.

Just been unlucky with this one I guess.

PICT0149.JPG

PICT0151.JPG

PICT0152.JPG

Sorry to hear this. 

I have wanted the Freightliner Powerhaul 90 since release in April. But I have decided against it because I don't want to have the hassle of physically returning the model to a retailer to be swopped (if they have any left), or having to mess around sending a model back through the postal system. Not just that but then having to explain and justify to a retailer that the model is damaged in order for them to accept a return. For a model of £153 with the retailer discount applied it's quite disappointing that customers are having such issues weather it's to do with quality control or just that movement within transit/post has caused things to come lose. Either way the parts especially bogies should be attached more thoroughly to try and prevent such issues. 

Hope you manage to get it sorted. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1