Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Sorry to hear this. 

I have wanted the Freightliner Powerhaul 90 since release in April. But I have decided against it because I don't want to have the hassle of physically returning the model to a retailer to be swopped (if they have any left), or having to mess around sending a model back through the postal system. Not just that but then having to explain and justify to a retailer that the model is damaged in order for them to accept a return. For a model of £153 with the retailer discount applied it's quite disappointing that customers are having such issues weather it's to do with quality control or just that movement within transit/post has caused things to come lose. Either way the parts especially bogies should be attached more thoroughly to try and prevent such issues. 

Hope you manage to get it sorted. 

Thanks - I have every faith in the retailer sorting it out.  But if need be it can go back to Bachmann.  It is disappointing but I was aware of the issues, and TBH was half expecting it!

My retailer checked the locos before dispatch so it must be that the plastic mountings are fracturing during normal courier handling systems - automated conveyor belts and the like.

As I said, my INTERCITY one is fine, so it's just the luck of the draw.

As far as the look of the model is concerned, I like it but didn't get the same "wow" feeling as when I first set eyes on my Hornby 87s (lighting, decoder fitting etc issues aside).

I'm still awaiting retailers response on the damaged 90 and will report back in due course. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

I'm still awaiting retailers response on the damaged 90 and will report back in due course. 

Update:  My retailer doesn't have another RfD liveried loco in stock, but did offer a refund.

But because I really want the loco I have opted to send it to Bachmann for repair and so emailed them about it - they replied immediately saying that they can indeed repair it;  post it to them (curiously they do not supply return labels so I will have to post it at my cost - better do it "signed for" I guess).

Slightly bad form on Bachmann's part, but then it is my choice to have them repair it rather than get a refund from the retailer. Even though I could have purchased another from a different supplier I elected not to in case the same thing happens again!  So Bachmann themselves can sort it out.

This whole business is frustrating not only for us the customer, but for retailers too.

Hopefully Bachmann will ensure to get the problem sorted for the next releases of 90s. 

Surely the retailer should have done this? They are legally obliged to, Bachmann are not.

My faults were rather more subtle: pantograph & speaker, so I called the retailer I bought it from. They could not exchange it because they had no more in stock so asked me to take it in & they would get it dealt with. They sent it off & a few weeks later got it (or another) back for me.

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Thought I'd delay purchasing my Class 90s in the hope that shop stock would have been checked by now.

Ordered two Class 90s online which arrived by DHL this morning.

I'd asked the retailer to inspect the locos prior to dispatch but despite that and good packing, one loco has arrived with both bogies loose and hanging down and also one buffer broken off. (The other loco seems OK and runs nicely).

I would like to have visited a shop to inspect and collect personally but unfortunately due to family illness I am unable to get to a retailer at this time.

Just been unlucky with this one I guess.

PICT0149.JPG

PICT0151.JPG

PICT0152.JPG

I'm sorry to see you have issues with your class 90

I have just ordered a railfreight version from Rails in their Advent offer. Having succummed to the broken bogie problem on the Intercity version when they first came out I rang Rails to check and they assured me that they have had no returns since the initial problems. 

Is it possible that yours is from the inital batch?

1 hour ago, Matabiau said:

I'm sorry to see you have issues with your class 90

I have just ordered a railfreight version from Rails in their Advent offer. Having succummed to the broken bogie problem on the Intercity version when they first came out I rang Rails to check and they assured me that they have had no returns since the initial problems. 

Is it possible that yours is from the inital batch?

It is possible that I was unlucky getting one from the initial batch. There's no way of knowing.  Strangely, the retailer told me that it was the first and only one they'd had a problem with.

I hope yours is OK - let us know.

Pete - thanks for your input.  I am aware that legally the onus is on the retailer to rectify problems.  However, I have taken the decision to return it to Bachmann to ensure a more speedy repair, rather than having it going to and fro via Cheltenham.  My choice to do it that way, so I will take the loss on the postage.

In the meantime, here's it's sister loco also received this morning, which survived the journey!  Looking good and receiving it's "running in" at half speed for 30 minutes in each direction (as per Bachmann's instructions) on the rolling road.

And very smooth it is too.

PICT0004.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to read the issues people have had with 90’s but to give some balance..

I’ve got 1 of each of the first three, all three arrived fine and run ok.

As I said, no consolation to those who have had issues, but not all are with issues.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Update:  My retailer doesn't have another RfD liveried loco in stock, but did offer a refund.

But because I really want the loco I have opted to send it to Bachmann for repair and so emailed them about it - they replied immediately saying that they can indeed repair it;  post it to them (curiously they do not supply return labels so I will have to post it at my cost - better do it "signed for" I guess).

Slightly bad form on Bachmann's part, but then it is my choice to have them repair it rather than get a refund from the retailer. Even though I could have purchased another from a different supplier I elected not to in case the same thing happens again!  So Bachmann themselves can sort it out.

This whole business is frustrating not only for us the customer, but for retailers too.

Hopefully Bachmann will ensure to get the problem sorted for the next releases of 90s. 

For an item worth £153 you wont be covered if its damaged or lost with 'signed for'

You need Special delivery which will cover you upto £500.

• Thanks 1

I have used three model retailers over the years for ordering items over the phone.

When it  comes to loco's I've always asked them to test and check the model before despatch,

and up to now they have all been happy to oblige, and in my case all purchases have arrived

in good order.

Surely, apart from possible rough handling in transit, this is the best way to obtain a fault free model.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, trevor7598 said:

I have used three model retailers over the years for ordering items over the phone.

When it  comes to loco's I've always asked them to test and check the model before despatch,

and up to now they have all been happy to oblige, and in my case all purchases have arrived

in good order.

Surely, apart from possible rough handling in transit, this is the best way to obtain a fault free model.

I agree Trevor.

I did ask the retailer to check the locos prior to dispatch which they did.

The fact that one of them arrived with both bogies hanging down and a broken buffer obviously indicates that the damage occurred in transit.  Judging by other members experiencing the exact same problems on this thread indicates the bogie mounts are prone to fracture anyway due to poor manufacture and/or packaging.

Having now considered members advice, I have decided to return it to Cheltenham Model Centre.  Thanks for your input folks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Strangely, the retailer told me that it was the first and only one they'd had a problem with.

18 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Having now considered members advice, I have decided to return it to Cheltenham Model Centre.  Thanks for your input folks.

I returned 2 RFD examples to CMC, when they where first released, then one of the 2 replacements, and my friend returned an IC version he bought at a show, all with the same problems

Im not slating CMC, as I have had nothing but great service from them.  Maybe you spoke to someone who hadnt been involved in the returns of 90s?

Edited by MM1991

I had one of the first to be notified to this thread, with one bogie loose. Bachmann did respond after reports of several bogies breaking and they identified the fault as a break of the bogie mount. They believed it was caused by the bogie mounting screws being over tightened at manufacture, which did not lead to the mount failing at that stage, but the postage stresses were causing some of the mountings to fail during transit to customers.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 20/12/2019 at 13:58, cravensdmufan said:

Thanks - I have every faith in the retailer sorting it out.  But if need be it can go back to Bachmann.  It is disappointing but I was aware of the issues, and TBH was half expecting it!

My retailer checked the locos before dispatch so it must be that the plastic mountings are fracturing during normal courier handling systems - automated conveyor belts and the like.

As I said, my INTERCITY one is fine, so it's just the luck of the draw.

As far as the look of the model is concerned, I like it but didn't get the same "wow" feeling as when I first set eyes on my Hornby 87s (lighting, decoder fitting etc issues aside).

Glad that your Intercity model isn't damaged. 

I have read on this thread and on others that some retailers have been checking the Bachmann 90s before they have dispatched them so as you say the postal system must play some part to an extent in these issues. From photos and reviews I have seen some buyers have noticed and are really impressed by Bachmann capturing the cab ends really well with the new tooling and that the correct and appropriate brightness of the directional lighting is pretty much the exact same as the real life prototypes. I have to say that is excellent, because to even go as far as considering the brightness of the directional lighting is really good going. From what I can gather their isn't a huge amount of detailing on the 90s, thus their is less to replicate on them in model form. That could be why the 90 didn't wow. 

Hope you get the 90 repaired. Let us know how you get on. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

From what I can gather their isn't a huge amount of detailing on the 90s, thus their is less to replicate on them in model form. That could be why the 90 didn't wow. 

I agree with that.

Back in the 80s when the 90s were new, I thought they looked a little basic.

Hattons seem to be getting praise for the lighting on their 66. It is indeed good, but Bachmann's 90 was the first mainstream model to feature switchable day/night lighting & also the ability to turn 1 end off completely, including tail lights only for pushing a train.

Hopefully they can get the overtightening issue sorted when the next batch is manufactured (next year?).

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I agree with that.

Back in the 80s when the 90s were new, I thought they looked a little basic.

Hattons seem to be getting praise for the lighting on their 66. It is indeed good, but Bachmann's 90 was the first mainstream model to feature switchable day/night lighting & also the ability to turn 1 end off completely, including tail lights only for pushing a train.

Hopefully they can get the overtightening issue sorted when the next batch is manufactured (next year?).

Yes I think that their is a lack of detailing on the prototype 90s. If you say compare to 37s & 66s then their is certainly a lack of detail on the prototypes. So it's probably just a case of Bachmann producing the 90s as per the prototypes and thus with regards to detailing they can do no more. Maybe, this was why Bachmann selected the 90 for a retool and as an upgrade/higher spec model to the current Hornby offering. Obviously with less detail to capture it's going to make the project easier. Yes, hopefully the issues can be sorted for the next batch. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Hi folks. Just a quick warning regarding the pantograph.

Even though I reduced the height by adjusting CV163 on Bachmann's 36-569 decoder, I still managed to clip a hidden overhead structure and even at low speed this knocked off one side of the metal pan head!  Grrrr!  :aggressive_mini:  It was a devil of a job to clip it back onto the plastic support strut, the lug being so tiny. Lesson learnt! 

With that and what we now know about the bogie mounts being susceptible to fracture, I am handling the 90 a lot more carefully than any of my other locos.  

Edited by cravensdmufan
Insert word

On 06/12/2019 at 17:09, tetsudofan said:

Got my sound-fitted 90128 set up on my Z21 this afternoon and gave it a spin round the track:

One of the features that I do like is the option to turn off the rear lights on the loco when hauling something:

Another interesting feature is that once F1 (sound on/off) has been activated the loco won't move until F6 (pantograph up/down) or F12 (pantograph up/down sounds) has been activated.

After a few minutes running 90128 got tired of hauling a short train ex-SECR covered vans (which arrived the same day as 90128) so, to keep it happy, some SNCB double deck coaches were found to make it feel like home...….

Hi tetsudofan or anyone with the BCC 90128 DCC Sound fitted model,

Did you get a sound functions list with the model?

I have checked thoroughly but mine only came with a sheet about 'DCC Information', 'Owners Information', 'Collectors Club' and the certificate but no listing sheet for the sound functions...

If you or anyone did, is there any chance of listing them (or a photo of it?)?

I can work out many functions but some are difficult to determine or only work while moving, etc..

Thanks in advance,

Ixion.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, 97403_Ixion said:

Hi tetsudofan or anyone with the BCC 90128 DCC Sound fitted model,

Did you get a sound functions list with the model?

I have checked thoroughly but mine only came with a sheet about 'DCC Information', 'Owners Information', 'Collectors Club' and the certificate but no listing sheet for the sound functions...

If you or anyone did, is there any chance of listing them (or a photo of it?)?

I can work out many functions but some are difficult to determine or only work while moving, etc..

Thanks in advance,

Ixion.

Hi Ixion,

There is a "Sound Fitted Information" sheet:

SoundFunctions-02.jpg.0ae0a6cfe74ec958c57a896db9e94eac.jpg

SoundFunctions-01.jpg.dcdb6e953910a925135f36c980eabf2b.jpg

Hope that helps,

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Hi Ixion,

There is a "Sound Fitted Information" sheet:

Hope that helps,

Keith

Hi,

Thanks ever so much - made my day that has!

I'll probably contact the club in the new year and ask them to send a copy but in the meantime that has helped me no end.

Have a Very Happy New Year (and hope you had a Merry Christmas!),

Thanks,

Ixion.

On 20/12/2019 at 12:29, classy52 said:

Personally I think the Class 90 as a prototype & in model form just comes across as a bit bland...  I own the Freightliner version and must admit it doesn't have the wow factor but it is still a decent model.

On 23/12/2019 at 01:18, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

From what I can gather their isn't a huge amount of detailing on the 90s, thus their is less to replicate on them in model form. That could be why the 90 didn't wow.

Although if modelling an arguably 'bland' prototype then all the more opportunity to innovate/push the boundaries on the details that are actually there? eg. bogie detail, flexicoil, underframe are/were all areas that could have been executed with a tad higher finesse IMHO. 

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

I agree the flexicoils do look slightly undernourished. I'm hoping some slight weathering will bring out a bit more detail. But I won't start that and any detailing for a while until both locos are fully run in. I'm never too sure how weathering and detailing affects warranty so for new locos I tend to wait around a year!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've read on another forum that a Zimo MX638D can be reprogrammed to work with the 90, instead of the Bachmann 36-569 decoder.

(I would copy and paste the details, but without permission of the poster on the other forum I will not do so.)

A quick visual comparison of the two decoders and they virtually look the same.

There is a marked difference in cost - in favour of the Zimo decoder..................

Has anyone else tried to fit the MX638D into a Bachmann 90?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, newbryford said:

Hi Mick,

The 21 pin MX630D works in the Bachmann 90 okay - one of our MRC club members fitted one and it worked fine. The Zimo tech sheet is at:

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/MX-KleineDecoder_E.pdf 

Cheers,

Chris.

12 hours ago, newbryford said:

I’ve read on another forum that a Zimo MX638D can be reprogrammed to work with the 90, instead of the Bachmann 36-569 decoder.

(I would copy and paste the details, but without permission of the poster on the other forum I will not do so.)

A quick visual comparison of the two decoders and they virtually look the same.

There is a marked difference in cost - in favour of the Zimo decoder..................

Has anyone else tried to fit the MX638D into a Bachmann 90?

Cheers,

Mick

• Informative/Useful 1