Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

15 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

Hopefully in the not so distant future we will see the re-emergence of EWS (90030) and maybe RfD (90027) also, with both mooted for returns to action by DB.

Not likely to be happening now, sadly. Both were evaluated as you know, 90030 was described as the front runner and amongst many things that need doing, none of them had Q-tron still fitted, not the easiest thing to find these days and pretty much a dig deep pockets job to have made these days I'd imagine. Oh and of course along came Covid…

90021's repairs are back underway and should be back out on freight next year all being well. Likely the best we can hope for otherwise would be new wheelsets for 90018 and 90040 to facilitate their returns.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thank you for your update Chris  ... I checked back with my article as I was second guessing myself with what I had wrote - and it turnes out it was 90024 and 90030 not 90027 that Roger Neary at DB had referred to - in RAIL's 1-14 July 2020 issue - it just seems strange that an article in a National Rail magazine from a senior source in DB would have referred to such returns to service for the said examples, if it was really only an opinion rather than a more calculated response when they didnt really need to even mention 90030, surely they would have known about where those examples were in terms of the work needed to restore them to traffic, otherwise, why even refer to them ahead of any of the other stored examples (ie 90017, 90022 or 90038 etc etc). 

Further more, Youtuber Nodrog posted on one of his videos back in October that CrossCountry are looking into using the ex-GC trainsets on the Birmingham to Manchester so maybe we will see them put to use after all, have you heard anything about this?

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD.

15 hours ago, Squirrel Rail said:

Great vid - would love it if 27 came back in RFD - I’d have to do that one!

Well, I was reading a post earlier about ficticious liveries, after what DB have done with 90039 I think there could be justification for what 90027 or 90030 might look like post return to service.

Edited by DBC90024

1 hour ago, DBC90024 said:

Thank you for your update Chris  ... I checked back with my article as I was second guessing myself with what I had wrote - and it turnes out it was 90024 and 90030 not 90027 that Roger Neary at DB had referred to - in RAIL's 1-14 July 2020 issue - it just seems strange that an article in a National Rail magazine from a senior source in DB would have referred to such returns to service for the said examples, if it was really only an opinion rather than a more calculated response when they didnt really need to even mention 90030,

To be honest, I've never seen/read that article, the info I mentioned came from some DB friends who shared at the time. 90027 was initially selected but then when someone went to actually conduct a physical examination of the loco's, 90027 was deemed to be in worse condition than 90030. 90030 was actually dug out at Crewe and taken over to the shed. Sadly the project stalled/was abandoned shortly afterwards and 90030 has returned to the scrap lines. I think with the work the EMD had on with preparing the GC 90's (90021 included) as well as some of their other longer term projects (90024 etc) as well as their own/GB 92's, there is a backlog of work on already..

For what its worth, the 90's aren't beyond the realms of possibility, but the cost justification would need some contract wins/flows moving over to electric as mooted previously. With regards to 90s, (I think) only 4M25/4S47 is currently booked for the Skoda's from a DB point of view.

With regards to XC, I can only state to know about as much as you. I've seen several magazines include it, but at the same time seen several railwaymen discount it. Time will tell I guess...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squirrel Rail said:

I have the nameplates sitting here ready to do it myself!! 

@Squirrel Rail@chris37422 @cambo74

I too have a nameplate, ''Johnson Street IEMD'' ready for a loco, could be good for 90027 in a mucky ex-RfD style DB-branded like 90034 is and 90037 was pre-Christine. 90027 would make sense as it was Allerton TMD etc. previously, but its definitely going to have wait its turn before other more present DB 90s appear @johnsonstreetIEMD.

26_10_20 - Bachmann DBS 90018, DBC90024, DBC 90028 and DBC 90034 - 1.jpg

Edited by DBC90024
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

@Squirrel Rail@chriss37422 @cambo74

I too have a nameplate, ''Johnson Street IEMD'' ready for a loco, could be good for 90027 in a mucky ex-RfD style DB-branded like 90034 is and 90037 was pre-Christine. 90027 would make sense as it was Allerton TMD etc. previously, but its definitely going to have wait its turn before other more present DB 90s appear @johnsonstreetIEMD.

26_10_20 - Bachmann DBS 90018, DBC90024, DBC 90028 and DBC 90034 - 1.jpg

A colourful quartet - very nice!

• Like 1

Has anybody experienced electrical issues with the Bachmann 90 where it seems bits in the circuitry are going faulty?

I've got two class 90s that use the standard Bachmann approved dcc decoder and have never had any issues.

However, I'm on (I think) my fifth 90128 dcc sound collectors club loco, and amongst other issues, I'm now experiencing the second or third one where it seems something in the circuitry is blowing as the lighting has gone haywire (some lights not working; others being lit when they shouldn't be).

I'm using a signa trak ace 2 controller. Not had any issues with other locos including the aforementioned 90s that are NOT sound versions. Just wondering if I'm alone with this problem? Need to contact Bachmann again, and I think this time I'm just gonna have to get it refunded.

• Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, daveahudson said:

Has anybody experienced electrical issues with the Bachmann 90 where it seems bits in the circuitry are going faulty?

I've got two class 90s that use the standard Bachmann approved dcc decoder and have never had any issues.

However, I'm on (I think) my fifth 90128 dcc sound collectors club loco, and amongst other issues, I'm now experiencing the second or third one where it seems something in the circuitry is blowing as the lighting has gone haywire (some lights not working; others being lit when they shouldn't be).

I'm using a signa trak ace 2 controller. Not had any issues with other locos including the aforementioned 90s that are NOT sound versions. Just wondering if I'm alone with this problem? Need to contact Bachmann again, and I think this time I'm just gonna have to get it refunded.

The first 90128 loco I had went straight back for replacement to the BCC which seemed dead and smelt like the decoder had burnt out almost immediately it was put on the track. I tried swopping the decoders but it made no difference. Ironically I fitted the decoder from 90128 into 90042 to check it and it functioned ok, no damage done so I presumed it was wiring or the panto motor. The loco was replaced and fortunately the second one is ok...

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Squirrel Rail said:

Hi Kat, it will definitely get an orange stripe but undecided on GC logos, I may do more than one!! Cheers Jerry

@Squirrel Rail i dare say there might be as much interest in them being unbranded as there would be them being branded GC - but maybe in the not so distant future, they may be Cross Country branded if i what i have heard comes to any fruitition.

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

11 hours ago, letterspider said:

Had a decoder fault, only worked in one direction.

Zimo repaired for free as obviously still within 3 years warranty period.

Contact them direct

Thanks for the advice. My issue is actually similar to Martin's comments above - I.e. the decider is unaffected because if I put it in one of my other class 90s, it works fine. It just seems that part of the circuit board has blown or something :(

• 5 weeks later...