Bachmann announce Narrow Gauge range led by Baldwin 4-6-0T

Andy Y

Bachmann Narrow Gauge

Building on its wealth of experience with Liliput's European HOe narrow gauge range, Bachmann is introducing an exciting new range of British outline narrow gauge models. 

BaldwinT.jpg

Image courtesy of Gary Boyd-Hope

Bachmann goes narrow gauge (OO9 Scale)

To coincide with the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of World War 1 in 1914, Bachmann Europe is to produce its first OO9 models. OO9 Scale operates on 9mm track and represents those lines that were built between 2ft and 2ft 6” gauge. In Europe narrow gauge is modelled to HOe scale and both HOe and OO9 can be used together. Our Liliput brand already produces a range of HOe locomotives and rolling stock.OO9 products can be used alongside standard gauge OO items.

The British Isles was once home to a large number of narrow gauge lines where the track gauge is less than the standard 4ft 81/2”. These were particularly popular in areas where building standard gauge lines was difficult (such as in the mountainous areas of North Wales) or in rural areas where standard gauge construction could not be justified. The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in North Devon is one such example. Others were built for industrial purposes serving mines, quarries and military establishments.

During World War 1 narrow gauge railways were used extensively to convey equipment,
munitions and men to the front where they were needed. They were also utilised on the return
journey to carry injured troops.

Baldwin Trench Locomotive (OO9 Scale)

PHOTO CAN BE REPRODUCED – COURTESY OF GARY BOYD-HOPE / Bachmann

With British factories fully committed to the war effort, the British Government turned to the American manufacturer Baldwin to produce 495 4-6-0T locomotives known as 10-12-D types.

Once the war was over, surplus narrow gauge equipment was sold to operators in France, Britain and India. The Indian North Western Railway received fifty locomotives and numbered them NWR No’s 1 to 50.

Some were sold to British narrow gauge companies with examples operating on the Welsh Highland Railway, Glyn Valley Tramway, Snailbeach District and Ashover Light Railway.

Two Baldwin locomotives have been preserved in the UK, one at the Leighton Buzzard Railway and the other on the Welsh Highland Railway, the latter being owned by the Imperial War Museum.

The Baldwin will be produced with both open and closed cab with the initial releases being:

391-025                Baldwin Class 10-12-D in WW1 ROD black livery No. 778 (weathered)

391-026                Baldwin Class 10-12-D in Welsh Highland Railway Black livery No. 390

391-027                Baldwin Class 10-12-D in Ashover Light Railway crimson livery ‘Peggy’

391-028                Baldwin Class 10-12-D in Ashover Light Railway black livery ‘Hummy’ (weathered)

OO9 Scale Wagons and vans

PHOTO CAN BE REPRODUCED – COURTESY OF PHIL ROBERTSON COLLECTION (MOSELEY TRUST) / Bachmann

PHOTO CAN BE REPRODUCED – COURTESY OF MIDLAND RAILWAY TRUST / Bachmann

To compliment the trench locomotive, two World War 1 wagons are being introduced. These comprise a covered bogie wagon originally used as an Ambulance vehicle and a 3 plank bogie open wagon. 

Two former ambulance vans have been preserved by the Lincolnshire Coast Railway and the
Moseley Trust who also have one of the open wagons at their Apedale base in Staffordshire.

Two liveries of the van will be available carrying War Department grey and the livery of the Nocton Estates Railway. Four liveries of the open wagon will be available representing the War
Department, Nocton Estates Railway, Ashover Light Railway and Welsh Highland Railway.

393-025                Covered goods wagon in WD grey livery (weathered)

393-026                Covered goods wagon in Nocton Estate Railway light grey livery

393-050                Open wagon in WW1 WD grey livery (Weathered)

393-051                Open bogie wagon in Nocton Estate Railway light grey livery

393-052                Open wagon in Ashover Railway light grey livery (weathered)

393-053                Open wagon in Welsh Highland Railway grey livery

It must not be forgotten that 2014 also has a more sombre significance, being the 100th anniversary of the start of World War One. The railways were of vital importance during the war, ferrying troops and supplies between Britain and the front line. Standard gauge railways did not stretch to the front lines and this is where the Narrow Gauge system was of vital importance. Therefore we are pleased to introduce our first 009 products, in recognition of the sterling job carried out by the hundreds of miles of light railway and their operators, linking trenches with the standard gauge railheads and storage areas. 

The first of our OO9 announcements is the Baldwin Class 10-12-D locomotive, resplendent in four different liveries. With British factories fully committed to the war effort, the British government turned to the American manufacturer, Baldwin, to produce 495 of their 4-6-0T locomotives. The 10-12-D was the most numerous Narrow Gauge locomotive to be built during World War One and following the war many found both industrial and private use. Our four new OO9 Baldwin Class locomotives are as follows: 391-025 No.778 WW1 ROD Black Weathered, 391-026 No.590 Welsh Highland Black, 391-027 'Peggy' Ashover Crimson and 391-028 'Hummy' Ashover Black Weathered. 

To complement our new locomotives, we are introducing a number of wagons - two covered goods and four open bogies. Along with transporting ammunition and supplies, the covered goods wagons were built with stretcher racks, allowing the transportation of injured soldiers back from the front lines to the railhead for their journey home. Both types of wagon would see service after the war in the UK and will be available from Bachmann in an assortment of liveries including WW1 WD Grey and Nocton Light Grey. 

In addition to the locomotives and wagons, we are also pleased to introduce three Narrow Gauge station buildings based on Woody Bay Station on the former Lynton & Barnstaple Railway - perfect for completing your Narrow Gauge scene. 

Our OO9 items are ideally suited to use alongside our Branchline range of OO scale models.

Baldwin Class 10-12-D 4-6-0T WWI field railway loco 4 x liveries

391-025 ROD weathered black No. 778

391-026 Welsh Highland Railway black No. 590

391-027 Ashover Light Railway crimson 'Peggy' 

391-028 Ashover Light Rly weathered black 'Hummy' 

Covered goods wagon 

393-025 WW1 WD weathered grey

393-026 Nocton Light Rly light grey

Hudson D bogie open wagons

393-050 WW1 WD weathered grey

393-051 Nocton Light Rly light grey

393-052 Ashover Light Rly light grey

393-053 Welsh Highland Rly 

Scenecraft

44-016 Narrow Gauge station based on L&BR Woody Bay

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think this might be forward looking. So many homes today don't have space for an OO layout, so N and OO9 become 'important'. OO9 particularly so as the tight curves of the prototype lend themselves to table top layouts. I hope this turns out to be a successful move on Bachmann's part and will herald more prototypes in future (Talyllyn?)

A brilliant move and a (start) at filling a big gap in the RTR market. I can see these selling out to many existing, and budding OO9 modellers who have been deterred by the absence of RTR motive power. Not a choice of prototype I would have selected but given the usual quality of their products I expect it will run far better than most of my existing locos - so will find some excuse to run one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is excellent news from Bachmann.

The stock will be useful for railways that bought ex WW1 stuff after the war also.

Indeed it will. It also enables more UK modellers to tiptoe into freelance territory, with ex-WW1 kit being redeployed in peacetime. Cue all sorts of narrow-gauge industrials with all the quirks you can imagine and a few more. This deserves to be a great success by opening the NG door a little further.

Ooooh

A most sensible choice of narrow gauge stock IMHO, probably the most 'standard' design of loco on the very disparate British narrow gauge railways. I can only assume that more weren't bought from the WD because they came on the market when most railways already had bought stock and were already in decline. Plus all those trench railways that I can foresee!

Mind you, I've ready built mine ;)

post-6836-0-26462800-1405851459_thumb.jpg

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 14

[Looks like my original post got eaten/zapped.] I'm surprised there isn't a Simplex too that might have been more generally useful. The range mirrors the US NG/Shay range in having a core subject that can be built on (logging in that case, trench railways here).

But if Bachmann is going to note the sombre subject in its press release, their Scenecraft WW1 figures in my view should include casualties. Hopefully the description suggests this.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit surprised this wasn't in 0n2 or even Gn2, which might have found more resonance with the military diorama market.

Perhaps they think it would sell better in the 4mm scale market which is the largest one among railway modellers.  One can almost see the n.g. 'feeder lines' emerging from the woodwork and the layout plan books as we type.

• Like 1

I wonder if they will be offering a set? That would be the best way to introduce new comers into 009 modelling. I could be tempted when I see the models but it would mean getting rid of all my 0n30 and 7mm stuff. Having seen some of the Minitrains wagons they are too small for my old eyes and podgy fingers but good luck to Peco, Heljan, and Bachmann with their efforts.

Apart from 10 Parkside 'V' skips I do not have any OO9 stuff. With the introduction of this locomotive this WILL change. I am so glad they haven't gone down the dedicated locomotive type unique to a particular light railway, and with examples on the Welsh Highland, Ashover, Glyn Valley, as well as some industrial lines they couldn't have chosen a better prototype.

I hope they prove popular so that the range can be expanded in the future. A Simplex and a Wren or a Tattoo for starters, with perhaps some little Rustons as well.

Well done Bachmann.

• Like 3

Great news and the perfect subject .You have to start some where and the loco choice is a good one .I will be finally building an 009 layout .It will be  my Sandwold  Light Railway  theme which I have been dreaming up for several years ,a small sandy station on the nurfuk /suffuk coast  with a jetty and a pill box .The L&B loco would be far too posh but a rusty 4-6-0 battered by salty  coastal winds,sandblasted and seagull stained will be just perfect .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A terrific move by Bachmann and I hope they reap the rewards that they deserve for making this bold step. This range clearly has a lot of cross over appeal between rail and military modelers. Given the large range of 1/76 soldiers, vehicles and accessories the potential for a nice layout (or diorama for our military friends...) is mouthwatering. I think I'll start stocking up on figures and stuff and plan a little working diorama......