Bachmann announce Narrow Gauge range led by Baldwin 4-6-0T

Andy Y

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well with my Peco coaches packet also came two of the vans. Very nicely finished and they feel slightly heavier than the opens.

26292922538_83885e4e0c_b.jpg009 Bachmann WD vans by -salisburyASC-

Hard to believe these thin doors will open

40166054021_3af631d378_b.jpg009 Bachmann WD vans by -salisburyASC-

but they do! Nice and smooth too and reveal the stretchers inside.

25294306287_d389ae4e97_b.jpgBachmann WD van by -salisburyASC-

And the big weight underneath ;)

28385678639_325d4e06ec_b.jpg009 Bachmann WD vans by -salisburyASC-

Very nice job Bachmann, I'm looking forward to the locos :)

• Like 13

Had a pair of the new Bachmann Covered Goods Wagon/Ambulance Van arrive just in time for my WW1 Trench Railway - Amiens 1918 - Tracks & Trenches second outing at the Gartell Light Railway Model Railway Exhibition last weekend. They certainly make a superb combo with the recently arrived D Class Wagons. Just need the Baldwins now! :locomotive: 

Here's a short running session take during the show

Hope it's of interest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VR-jE6VOjU

• Like 13

Received 4 Nocton Estate liveried vans today. Very impressed, especially by the sliding side and end doors.

One question, does anybody know whether Bachmann will be selling the bogies separately? Sure I am not the only one who would find them very useful for re-bogieing a fleet of Parkside Dundas WW1 wagons.

• Like 1

We've seen some pretty marvellous 4mm RTR items of late and I felt that Hatton's P Class had taken another step forward and then this arrives.

Geared through the firebox just look at all that detail beneath the boiler and tanks; maybe this is what's possible when someone with an N gauge background gets involved with the design of a 4mm product? Well done Steve. Runs like a dream, lovely waggly bits and well decorated. Phil will be writing the review on this one for April's BRM as I'm obviously too smitten.

And yes; it's engineered as a 2-2-6-0 but the concept works very well.

Now that is a thing of beauty! Would a maroon one look out of place in the Trenches I wonder... :jester:

Was it easy to get the body off? With a pre-wired speaker, I'm quite tempted to try add sound. Wonder if anyone has done a sound chip for one yet?

• Like 2

Was it easy to get the body off? With a pre-wired speaker, I'm quite tempted to try add sound. Wonder if anyone has done a sound chip for one yet?

It is quite straightforward, there are three loose-fit pipes to pull out with tweezers, unscrew the two brass screws under the tanks and lift the tank section off. A two- minute job at worst.

Announced on the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI...available in time for the 100th anniversary of the war's end?  :dontknow:

I believe they will be here to help resist the Spring Offensive in a few weeks.

• Like 3

I believe they will be here to help resist the Spring Offensive in a few weeks.

Lot of men and material will need moving for the final push. My Trench Railway is set during the Battle of Amiens (August 1918), so will hopefully be in operation for the 100th Anniversary   :locomotive:

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 3

As  I  have  posted  on  another   website,  I  have  2  on  order,  having  seen  this   I  am  tempted  to   order  the  other  2 and  make  it  4,  or  should  I  order  3  and  wait  until  the  GVT  version arrives,  decisions.. decisions!!

As  it  may be  gathered  my 009  layouts tend  to  be  a bit,  non themed  I just  run  what   I Like!!   (do we  still call that  rule 1?)

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 1

And yes; it's engineered as a 2-2-6-0 but the concept works very well.

Unless they've powered the rear 'bogie' axle it's not a 2-2-6-0. Whyte notation doesn't distinguish the grouping of unpowered wheels fore and aft of the driving wheels, though it does allow for more than one set of driving wheels (such as the LSWR 'Double Single' 4-2-2-0).

Splitting the 'bogie' wheels off like that is a neat solution to the problem though!

Edited by BernardTPM

Would  anyone  who  has  handled  the  Baldwin  be  able  to give  an  approximation  of  the  weight  please,

I am in  the planning  stage of a new  layout which will be on 2 levels and so  I am attempting  to work out suitable  gradients  etc.

• Like 1

Nimbus, if the gears are the types that Bachmann USA use in their US N scale offerings, there should be no issue. They are vastly improved over the ones the used in the early days of their N scale offerings.

Jim F

Unless they've powered the rear 'bogie' axle it's not a 2-2-6-0. Whyte notation doesn't distinguish the grouping of unpowered wheels fore and aft of the driving wheels, though it does allow for more than one set of driving wheels (such as the LSWR 'Double Single' 4-2-2-0).

Splitting the 'bogie' wheels off like that is a neat solution to the problem though!

The same way that the Whyte notation has no provision for those semi-articulated driving axles.. Helmholz trucks?