Bachmann announce Narrow Gauge range led by Baldwin 4-6-0T

Andy Y

What was their respective size?

The WD 4-6-0 Hunslet is shown as 10t 18cwt empty, 14t 1cwt “wet” and ready for use, the Baldwin 4-6-0 about half a ton more. The figures vary a little between sources but the two Baldwin types are described as “15 tons” on Wikipedia and the Hunslet is described in another source as “the smallest of the three types”

What was their respective size?

The WD 4-6-0 Hunslet is shown as 10t 18cwt empty, 14t 1cwt “wet” and ready for use, the Baldwin 4-6-0 about half a ton more. The figures vary a little between sources but the two Baldwin types are described as “15 tons” on Wikipedia and the Hunslet is described in another source as “the smallest of the three types”

According to Boyd, the Ffestiniog ALCO Mountaineer weighs about 17 tons.  Has a longer wheelbase, larger wheels and cylinders than either the Baldwin or Hunslet 4-6-0's - it seems to be a bigger machine all round than the Baldwin.

According to Boyd, the Ffestiniog ALCO Mountaineer weighs about 17 tons.  Has a longer wheelbase, larger wheels and cylinders than either the Baldwin or Hunslet 4-6-0's - it seems to be a bigger machine all round than the Baldwin.

The Penryn Railway Society quotes Felin Hen as being “12 tons ready for work” http://www.penrhynrailway.co.uk/penrhynrailway/article_1.html

This locomotive survives in preservation, so presumably someone must know?

The Penryn Railway Society quotes Felin Hen as being “12 tons ready for work” http://www.penrhynrailway.co.uk/penrhynrailway/article_1.html

This locomotive survives in preservation, so presumably someone must know?

Following your lead, I looked up what Boyd had to say about the Baldwin Penryn 2-6-2's (had completely forgotten about them).  According to Boyd, they weighed 18 tons 9 cwt in working order.  Don't know how reliable that figure is.  It looks a bit high to me as the general dimensions are smaller than the ALCO 2-6-2's.  On the other hand, 12 tons seems a bit light!

Following your lead, I looked up what Boyd had to say about the Baldwin Penryn 2-6-2's (had completely forgotten about them).  According to Boyd, they weighed 18 tons 9 cwt in working order.  Don't know how reliable that figure is.  It looks a bit high to me as the general dimensions are smaller than the ALCO 2-6-2's.  On the other hand, 12 tons seems a bit light!

12 tons seems about right for a “dry” weight, given the previous figures - slightly larger than the Hunslet, comparable with the Baldwin 4-6-0, smaller than the Alco?

I wanted to remove the WD number and the water spill weathering from the tank sides. Both came off surprisingly easily with white spirit, including the matt grey paint!!. Resprayed the tank sides with Railmatch roof dirt, 1403, which came out as a match to the Bachmann applied matt dark grey.

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been doing some work to my Baldwin. I've decalled it for my Beccles & Bungay Railway, replaced the glazing with Microscale Krystal Kleer, painted the added tarp frame, painted the smoke box door hinges and step edges etc with gunmetal, painted the lead foil canvas tarp and added a figure. I have weathered over the lettering with Lifecolor smoke to try and blend it in. Just really got to add some coal.

42384951662_c6fd4da317_c.jpgIMG_0180 by Richard Doe, on Flickr

42435201371_c737c052a0_c.jpgIMG_0176 by Richard Doe, on Flickr

41533083605_cc6ac35d41_c.jpgIMG_0174 by Richard Doe, on Flickr

• Like 16

I was interested in the Baldwins used on the Snailbeach District Railways and found that there is an excellent book published in hardback last year and then in paperback, which is still available from the publishers post free at £20 here:-

https://www.twelveheads.com/t901.htm

My copy arrived today and it is excellent. Lots of photos, drawings and maps, giving ideas for a little layout using the Bachmann Baldwins.

• Like 1

Many thanks Paul! Order placed!

Seems Amiens 1918 will be going Digital! :D (order at least dual control with the Tech-6) :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Discount? I seem to have missed out here :( .

Well when I ordered mine it discounted the soundfile when bought with the decoder, I paid £101 including post. I think it's their normal way as I've had two off Digitrains before with the sound included.

Edit: it appears they made a boo boo when it first went on the website and didn't take it out of the normal range. It was meant to be £15 all along but the first couple got through before they realised.

Top marks to Digitrains for not quibbling and honouring the price. I was already a happy customer with previous service so they will get the extra for 590's chip without complaint too.

Edited by PaulRhB

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of a likely release date for 590 and Peggy? June is stated on a number of retailers websites. Just wondered if there's been any wispers of a later Month this year. Money is saved and put aside!!

Cheers

Andy.

In the Bachmann Colas 70 thread, a member advised that a consignment for Bachmann arrived at Felixstowe, by container, last Friday. Andy Y conirmed this, so probably multiple lots of models that were expected, such as the Baldwins and possibly the Freightliner container flats, are included. Obviously these will need to get to Barwell into warehouse and QC checks, but may not be too long.