Bachmann announce Narrow Gauge range led by Baldwin 4-6-0T

Andy Y

Succumbed to the delightful appearance of Peggy, which turned out to be the least expensive version available in non-DCC. last night on the net.

Tests on the black version show it can climb 1in25+ gradients OK.with two bogie coaches or four bogie wagons.

As the other 009 locos are Talyllyn "Thomas" types from Bachmann, I think the lines setting should be post WW1, as a line rather like Ashover, but retaining the tidied up trestle bridge as the main feature,

To ease the gradient required to cross over a line under the bridge, the lower track will be dipped under the bridge, and the depth of the bridge central beam reduced to a minimum. I have some kit Ashover coaches, but see Bachmann has promised RTR versions.

All the bogie WW1 stock from Backman can be used along with Peco items. from the L&B etc,

The Baldwin is the best shot in the arm that 009 has had so far, with assistance from Peco....

Stephen

Just to add my experience here - I have three locos from this range, and tests on the matt black (weathered) version using Powerbase show it will comfortably climb 1 1/2 inches for every foot travelled, carrying four lightweight passenger carriages. I am therefore using a more "gentle" (but still impressive) 1 inch rise for each foot travelled in a helix of around 18 inches in diameter. This gives roughly a 5ft circumference, so every rotation of the helix rises by five inches. 

It also enables remarkably steep climbs / descents in other visible parts of the layout - along mountain sides, ridges, etc. 

The downside is that the two Powerbase magnets required beneath the train (to pull towards the metal strips below the track, thus providing the grip) only just clear the sleepers (on Peco 009 flexible track), therefore the use of points, etc., would be impossible. 

I therefore plan to run two trains up the helix with Powerbase while the third, non-Powerbase, version, will trundle around the more horizontal goods yard. 

Also, would echo comments re sound with the Zimo card - pricey, but excellent. 

No experience with the powerhouse mentioned, but I have a Busch version where I lay the Peco Z gauge track on a flexible metal-plastic composite tape, and the Baldwin could do the same with small neodymium magnets behind the buffer plate. I can't see why points are a problem with powerhouse, just lay the point on a mild steel plate. What causes the issue with Peco points and the powerhouse magnets?

Smaller magnets are made.

The tape is not quite as good as solid steel, but it works fine with Busch and should work the same for 009, you may not get it to run vertically like the Busch, but it should overcome stiff gradients.

I will experiment with the Baldwin and the tape just on gradients, not level where there is ample haulage.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 1

I fitted two magnets to the underside of the cab behind the buffer beam, and a single disk magnet on to the front wheel pivot pin. They are fitted with PVA glue just so do a test and are removable.

It now tackles about 1 in 8 alone, and 1 in 12 with two coaches, using the Peco track mounted on flexible metal tape.

It seems well worth fitting more permanently but needs a method that does not cover the body retaining screws.

The pivot pin at the front might need to be changed to metal to be better to glue to.

Stephen

• Like 1

Sorry  about  that...……….mine  is  just  dithering  on  the  brink  at  the  moment!! :scratchhead:

Mine tripped on the brink & fell over head-first!

It didn't help going to Tracks to the Trenches 2018 the other weekend & travelling behind 778 either... :)

• Like 2

The throttle is quite sensitive when running on DC, but with care it can be controlled.

I noticed  that  when  I  ran some,  however when  Digitized  slow speed  control is  excellent,  theres  time  to   make  a  cup of  tea  whilst a loco travels a couple  of  yards  or  less! :locomotive:    

The throttle is quite sensitive when running on DC, but with care it can be controlled.

Quite correct.

By small movements of the 'Volts in' control, it is possible to get heavy and lighter chuffs as well as coasting when decelerating. The model will come to a halt long before 0 volts is reached on deceleration, so it is possible to maintain lights and sound with a stationary loco, even on DC. The voltage to the track will be around 3-4v (loco will not move until circa 5-6v). If you very quickly reverse direction, it should be possible to also maintain lights and sound as the onboard capacitor helps to bridge the 'no volts' point. Easier with a separate direction control than with a centre-off knob.

ZIMO decoders interpret the rising or falling voltage as equivalent to speed steps on DCC and the sound project reacts accordingly.

But, as stated above, careful use of the control is required.

Best regards,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Yes we had the sounds of load and coasting at various times. I took it over to tempt the layouts owner Tim because he banks the stone trains up the hill and it will sound superb with sound ;)

Trying to get that finesse on dc with the small dial of a gaugemaster handheld was difficult as it all happens in roughly a sixth of the dials range :)

If he does go with sound then he would get the best out of it with a full dcc controller so that's the next temptation evening once my wifi multimaus arrives. He's already familiar with my dcc layouts but a few of the crew feel it would simplify the operation of it and then, why not add sound? :)

The Baldwin started slipping with three opens and two vans from Bachmanns range so it would actually need banking for a longer train. Tims current stock is weighted and the locos matched so banking is actually needed and impressive to watch.

• Like 2

Yes we had the sounds of load and coasting at various times. I took it over to tempt the layouts owner Tim because he banks the stone trains up the hill and it will sound superb with sound ;)

Trying to get that finesse on dc with the small dial of a gaugemaster handheld was difficult as it all happens in roughly a sixth of the dials range :)

If he does go with sound then he would get the best out of it with a full dcc controller so that's the next temptation evening once my wifi multimaus arrives. He's already familiar with my dcc layouts but a few of the crew feel it would simplify the operation of it and then, why not add sound? :)

The Baldwin started slipping with three opens and two vans from Bachmanns range so it would actually need banking for a longer train. Tims current stock is weighted and the locos matched so banking is actually needed and impressive to watch.

Of course, loose banking from the rear, where the banker can slow down to allow the train to continue to pull away at the top of the grade when assistance is no longer required is one of the many things which can be done easily with DCC and is nigh impossible on DC. Even more impressive!

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Of course, loose banking from the rear, where the banker can slow down to allow the train to continue to pull away at the top of the grade when assistance is no longer required is one of the many things which can be done easily with DCC and is nigh impossible on DC. Even more impressive!

Best regards,

Paul

I agree  very  impressive,  I  had  a  steepish incline on one of my 00 layouts ( made purposely  steep)  I used  to  bank trains  up  with  a  Bachmann Jinty  with a  modified Kadee coupling  which allowed  the  loco to  push, but  the  knuckle did not  engage  so  that  at  the  summit, the Jinty  would  realistically  slow as the train continued on  its  way

• Like 1

Best regards,

Paul

Where do these myths come from?

Dropping off a banker on the move is most definitely NOT "nigh impossible on DC".

Why DCC proponents continue to peddle this drivel is beyond me.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Dropping off a banker on the move is most definitely NOT "nigh impossible on DC".

Regards,

John Isherwood.

OK  Please  explain  how  it  is  done  realistically on analogue  I am  sure  there  are  some  who  would  like  to  learn.

BTW  I am  no  a proponent of Digital systems  simply  a   satisfied  user of  the  system  for    over 20 years  Prior  to  that  I was  a  satisfied  user  of  analogue systems  for 40 odd years.

OK  Please  explain  how  it  is  done  realistically on analogue  I am  sure  there  are  some  who  would  like  to  learn.

BTW  I am  no  a proponent of Digital systems  simply  a   satisfied  user of  the  system  for    over 20 years  Prior  to  that  I was  a  satisfied  user  of  analogue systems  for 40 odd years.

split the clime  just be for the top & use a 2nd controller  put the slower loco on the train once its left the split slow the loco at the back

Cab control, sectionalisation, and two way section switching to separate sections.

Drive both locos on one controller then, when the banker is in the section where it is to drop off, switch it over to the second controller and slowly reduce the speed to a stand.

Simples!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Didn't really need the dcc proponents drivel comment did it? as it's as sweeping as your consternation about dc banking ;)

Anyway let's not divert yet another thread to a dc vs dcc squabble as they are both good depending on what you prefer for control.

I've got two Baldwins one dcc and one dc and shock horror both are good.

The two in black here on a layout that does banking with DC!

post-6968-0-37516200-1533157814_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Just out of interest what British narrow gauge line was it in Real Life that used bankers? I can think of some (not only UK based) that used double headers, but not bankers... 

I don't think any British line did as normal because most of the stock tended to be small 4 wheel and that doesn't bank well ;) I've seen the photos of banking on some Irish 3ft lines and Tim's layout is influenced by a few lines.

• Like 1

It's not just that, banking usually means that there's just one steep hill to get up which forms just a small part of the whole line, most British NG lines had either lots of ups and downs (Welshpool) or one continuous gradient (Tallylyn) both of which are probably better suited to double heading rather than banking. So a pretty daft discussion to get all het up on, then. Just do what the prototype did, double head which both DC and DCC can do and leave it at that...

Edited by Hobby

Didn't really need the dcc proponents drivel comment did it? as it's as sweeping as your consternation about dc banking ;)

Accepted - but I do get fed up with certain DCC users who make grossly exaggerated claims for their chosen form of control - viz. "...one of the many things which can be done easily with DCC and is nigh impossible on DC".

I'm all for just getting on with it - but I won't ignore 'fake news'.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1