Bachmann announce Narrow Gauge range led by Baldwin 4-6-0T

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

TMC are having a bit of a sale at the moment including two of the Baldwins. 

Welsh Highland 590 £101.50

Ashover Hummy £108.50

https://www.themodelcentre.com/narrow-gauge/?sort=alphaasc

With £3.50 Royal Mail tracked postage. A good offer and in my case another renaming project .

According to Boyd, the Ffestiniog ALCO Mountaineer weighs about 17 tons. Has a longer wheelbase, larger wheels and cylinders than either the Baldwin or Hunslet 4-6-0's - it seems to be a bigger machine all round than the Baldwin.

Boyd lies and fabricates information without foundation regularly just bear in mind

Lies is harsh... but there are descrepancies and unknowns which he filled in adding 2+2, but making 5.  The problem is once it is in print, it is too easy to take as gospel.  These days, there is a wealth of information available to researchers which just wasn't in the public domain when Boyd was writing.

One example is the Welsh Highland Railway carriage numbering - a matter which is cleared up in a booklet printed by the WHHR/64 co.

On a slight tangent - as I said in the main Bachmann 2019 announcement topic - I'd like to know where Bachmann have got the idea that 590 was lined when painted red/maroon/lake in 1934, as I have seen no reference or evidence of it before!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think Boyd took the first source and made some, logical to him, assumptions and didn’t check that well rather than deliberately misleading people. It’s widely known there are discrepancies but as with all research you should compare multiple sources and photos. The books are still a very valuable collection of photos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to know where Bachmann have got the idea that 590 was lined when painted red/maroon/lake in 1934, as I have seen no reference or evidence of it before!

They found some plates with it on and once they’d found that could confirm what they thought in the others too. Question was asked at the launch day.

I think Boyd took the first source and made some, logical to him, assumptions and didn’t check that well rather than deliberately misleading people. It’s widely known there are discrepancies but as with all research you should compare multiple sources and photos. The books are still a very valuable collection of photos.

Which is pretty much what any historian, in any subject has to do. An educated guess may very well be wrong, but its a world away from misleading. 

He fabricated some hocum about this Lewin having something to do with the north wales slate industry, and being called George Sholto, which is total fiction, but sorry to get off topic, back to Bachmann 009 attachicon.gifIMG_20190114_181944.jpg

That’s an extraordinary loco, any further details?

EDIT - this, apparently https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10952

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

He fabricated some hocum about this Lewin having something to do with the north wales slate industry, and being called George Sholto, which is total fiction, but sorry to get off topic, back to Bachmann 009 attachicon.gifIMG_20190114_181944.jpg

'Fabricated' implies intent - I sincerely doubt that.

It never ceases to astonish me that today's armchair 'historians', with all the resources of digitised archives at their disposal, can be so condescendingly superior - no, dismissive - of those who compiled their writings by plain, hard, foot-slogging research amongst what was available to them at that time.

If they hadn't done so, there would not have been the prolonged interest in their subjects that has enabled their successors to fill in the detail and correct the odd error.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

'Fabricated' implies intent - I sincerely doubt that.

It never ceases to astonish me that today's armchair 'historians', with all the resources of digitised archives at their disposal, can be so condescendingly superior - no, dismissive - of those who compiled their writings by plain, hard, foot-slogging research amongst what was available to them at that time.

If they hadn't done so, there would not have been the prolonged interest in their subjects that has enabled their successors to fill in the detail and correct the odd error.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

“Historical method” developed slowly over time. The very first “antiquarians”, the likes of Leland and Cobbett, were content to report local verbal traditions, direct observation, personal inference and (very limited) actual research from primary sources pretty much interchangeably.

In my student days around the Cornish mining areas, there was a prolific writer on the subject called Hamilton Jenkins, who relied heavily on local verbal sources. He was awarded an honorary degree in due course, but never formally studied. A lot of the detail in HJ is good, some of it apocryphal, some of it confused or confusing. But you may as well take it as good, because it is the best interpretation of an experienced local observer recording detail for which there is no other source.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am surprised that Bachmann do not state in the loco instructions that the model is fitted with a coreless motor and should not be run as 'Loco #0' on a DCC system. The few instructions that I have seen for Farish N-gauge locos with similar motors are conversely, quite clear in their warnings.

Edited by MartinTrucks

On 16/06/2019 at 13:18, Hastings Thumper said:

Livery sample of Southern 'Sid' at the GCR model railway event. 

Quite tempted to add a 009 branch to the layout for this one ............

IMG_3953.JPG

Freelance or not, I do like that myself, along with the dairy wagon behind. Will be purchasing myself :) (although a rename could well be on the cards - not a fan of ‘Sid’)

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...