Bachmann announce Narrow Gauge range led by Baldwin 4-6-0T

Andy Y

A look at some of the latest models and prototypes from Bachmann Europe, filmed on their Roadshow Stand at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2019. 
Highlights included the all new Midland Railway 1532 Class Johnson 1P 0-4-4T's, GWR 9400 Class 0-6-0PT 'Panniers',  British Rail Class 24/1 and Quarry Hunslets, plus the Proses MPD / Engine Shed with Operating Doors and Lighting, as well as many other exciting developments cross the range.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I'll be honest, I really think the livery suits the Baldwin. One slight shame is they picked the number of an N15?  But other than that niggle I really like it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

At a guess, I’d say that the people at Bachmann saw the trouble a lot of people were having with their Heljan 009 locos. The Bachmann 009 runs very sweetly and so the thinking was, put a livery on the Baldwin suitable for the L&B. It will appeal to people who aren’t very particular and also to people who have built a layout in anticipation with 9" minimum radius. The original specification for the Heljan was 9", changed to 12" for the main production run. Sound thinking, in my view.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

. The original specification for the Heljan was 9", changed to 12" for the main production run. 

I think you’ll find the 9” is a myth created by speculation on the forums, the earliest announcement direct from Heljan was 12” ;) 

The pony trucks preclude 9” on a scale model simply by narrow frames around them and 009 making it 3” over gauge. 

The Baldwin is a sensible extension of the idea that led to Lyn, a loco needed in a hurry. The SR built Lew later but if it was needed as the works were busy with the Merchant Navies why not buy a cheap Baldwin and probably a second if the L&B had survived to the war. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I think you’ll find the 9” is a myth created by speculation on the forums, the earliest announcement direct from Heljan was 12” ;) 

The pony trucks preclude 9” on a scale model simply by narrow frames around them and 009 making it 3” over gauge. 

The Baldwin is a sensible extension of the idea that led to Lyn, a loco needed in a hurry. The SR built Lew later but if it was needed as the works were busy with the Merchant Navies why not buy a cheap Baldwin and probably a second if the L&B had survived to the war. 

“Chap at Peco says it runs very well on 9 inch radius track and points.”* Peco was working closely with Heljan, so I’d expect Peco to know. Of course, It is perfectly possible that in the course of development, Heljan couldn’t get the production models to run round 9". As we know,  it turned out that the first production version wouldn’t run round 12" either. Heljan did the decent thing and recalled the lot, which must have been costly.

*PaulRhB, 28th October, 2015. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

:mocking_mini: Yep but Heljan’s first advert that mentioned it did say 12” so it did come via the forums, albeit from Peco employees commenting on initial tests on them ;) 

We are all hungry for info when development takes so long and it can become pseudo fact when we remember the various stories told and pure speculation that’s all. 

I suspect they were defeated by the frames as the pony wheels get pushed over even on 12” curves still. 

Anyway it’s good to see a plausible what if livery on the Baldwin which complements the Heljan models. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Tim  at  ARCDIARAIL  advised me  today  Thursday 11th Dec,  that  he  received  his  invoice  from Bachmann  which  Includes  the  remaining  3  Baldwins  ( which included  S I D  ) they were not  delivered today  but  are  expected  Friday,

Always  worth phoning  01706882900 for a rapid  response!

(542  and  Bridget   have been in stock  for  a  few  days)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann Baldwins look superb, and I REALLY like the SR green livery.  I've got no problem with freelance liveries, Narrow Gaugers have been doing it forever.

A question for the historians though, was the WHR Baldwin  lined like that?  I had always thought it was plain red.  Looks great though!

Edited by DLT
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of PO wagons, yes they were rare on NG, but there were enough to warrant their freelance addition.  I've done it myself, helps to vary the stock appearance.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DLT said:

The Bachmann Baldwins look superb, and I REALLY like the SR green livery.  I've got no problem with freelance liveries, Narrow Gaugers have been doing it forever.

A question for the historians though, was the WHR Baldwin  lined like that?  I had always thought it was plain red.  Looks great though!

The lining has been the subject of a lot of discussion on the Narrow Gauge Enthusiasts Facebook Group. The consensus, with a few dissenters, after a lot of analysis of old photographs is that it was lined.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...